Putter fitting vs on course results

mistaklavin

Curious to see if anyone has ever been in a similar situation. I've been fortunate enough to hop on quintic a few times. While I always play the recommended loft, ive seem to had the best results on quintic with face balanced putters, however on the course it hasnt been the same. My lowest putting rounds tend to be ones with putters that have 30-45 degrees of toe hang. Interestingly, these types of putters also feel the most natural in my hands. Also worth mentioning that this is not a result of proximity to the hole - my short game and approach always sucks and ive done my best to account for that 🙂

Just curuous to see if others have had similar results where putter fitting results and on course performance dont match, and if so, what did you stick it out and try and get use to the fitted putter or just play with what works?

Historically yes, I’ve gone away from what I’ve been fit into for one reason or another. But I actually had a two hour fitting session yesterday that was a lot more in depth than what I’ve previously had. I also got to roll putts on an outdoor green as well as inside the studio which I haven’t had a chance to do before. Things feel different outside. So this time I’m very optimistic about my new putter that’s coming in a few weeks! It’s quite different from what I would have been able to guess myself into. But of course I’ll have to wait and see for the results on the course.

41 minutes ago, Maximilian said:

Historically yes, I’ve gone away from what I’ve been fit into for one reason or another. But I actually had a two hour fitting session yesterday that was a lot more in depth than what I’ve previously had. I also got to roll putts on an outdoor green as well as inside the studio which I haven’t had a chance to do before. Things feel different outside. So this time I’m very optimistic about my new putter that’s coming in a few weeks! It’s quite different from what I would have been able to guess myself into. But of course I’ll have to wait and see for the results on the course.

Will be interested to hear how it works on the course. Always curious to see how putter fittings where we end up in something different than what we expected work out.

• Like 1

I would only undergo a putter fitting to solve some sort of issue I was having with the putter I was currently using. If I were putting well I wouldn't switch to something totally different just because I got better numbers on an indoor fitting. 

• Like 2

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

1 hour ago, Ghostwedge said:

You go with what works - period. You get fitted and the results say "mallet" but you are more confident with a blade, roll the blade.

Im starting to feel like this is the approach I should be taking. I've always been a follow the data guy, but ultimately if the results are better outside then why wouldn't I stick with that, you know?

I also feel like the ultimate test, especially for a putter, is whether I can get the ball rolling end over end using a line. Im guessing if I can do that, all that I have to worry about is read and speed at that point.

• Like 1

My expirence might not line up exactly, but I've had a putter carousel-- blades, mallets, facebalanced ect-- and eventually decided to stick with blade cause it is what I felt most natural with, used a sam putt lab, confirmed it, then had the guys at Artisan make me one to spec.  I think my putting had improved modestly cause of equipment. I'm hitting my lines more often with out random speed or alignment compensations

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Same reason I can make 8 or 9 of 10 from 10 feet on a practice green but miss 8 or 10 on course.

Fitting involves the same putt over and over. When you add in read and aim you alter everything. 

I would agree with this as well as the use what you are comfortable with.

Putting for me has always been about two things:

- find something that looks and feels good

- find a way to get it in the hole

I know golf is a data driven game but for putting, gotta keep it simple! 😂 

• Like 2

Just now, LoopySwing13 said:

I would agree with this as well as the use what you are comfortable with.

Putting for me has always been about two things:

- find something that looks and feels good

- find a way to get it in the hole

I know golf is a data driven game but for putting, gotta keep it simple! 😂 

We're still talking about putting...right?

• Haha 3

How much are you practicing/warming up with your new putter? My biggest thing every round is I have to dial in speed on the practice green to get an idea of the speed and it changes my round. 

Are you new to this new setup or have you used it before? If you're used to a standard blade or whatever then you will definitely be more comfortable with it in uncomfortable times. But the new putter may be much better you just lack confidence with it.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I’ve been fit on quintic and Sam both.  Sam a long long time ago and quintic about 3 years ago to verify nothing changed.  

When I did the quintic fitting my spec had changed so I was thankful I went to it.  I used to play about 4-5* of loft with some forward press at take away.  I’ve eliminated that stroke move and never thought to adjust my putter.  I’m now sitting at 0-1* of loft and a more upright lie than before.  

And yes it absolutely helped my putting.  

One of my playing partners plays a low single digit and had never been fit for anything.  He said the putter made the biggest difference for him out of the whole process.  

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

4 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

You go with what works - period. You get fitted and the results say "mallet" but you are more confident with a blade, roll the blade.

this 100% everybody says higher moi in a mallet blah blah blah, give me a blade any day of the week though. 

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Best thing about the fitting for me was knowing my correct lie angle. SAM said I needed 67* and I’ve played stock (70ish) as long as I can remember. Now I absolutely love how flat the putter sits. Didn’t pay too much attention to the shape recommendation but as others have said I would go with what feels good and provides results. 

• Like 1

I've had three putter fittings over the years. 

The first was a static fitting using a device with a telescoping shaft and a mirror on the ground, to determine the length and lie that set your eyes just inside the ball.  That device indicated I needed a 34" putter with a 75* lie angle.  I was skeptical but definitely rolled the ball better after that.

A year or two later I had a SAM PuttLab fitting at Club Champion which verified those same specs.

Recently I had a fitting with Ping as part of the PLD Custom putter process.  The specs were again really close to my previous ones, with some slight tweaks to loft and head weight.  The PLD is the best putter I've ever had, and this is the best and most consistent I've been rolling the ball and holing putts since I started playing. 

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Had a fitting at CC last spring, results were surprisingly different than the putter type I have been using forever (Anser/Newport types). Results said I needed something face balanced and a little more upright, my stroke was pretty much SBST with very little arc..

Sold off all my Anser/Newport styled putters, bought a few face balanced types and gamed them last season. Didn't really see any better performance or results, but did notice that I would occasionally "figure 8" or come way outside to in.

Was fiddling this winter, pulled out my old Anser from High School, felt much more comfortable and noticed that my putting stroke wasn't as SBST as when I used face balanced putters.

So I'm going to go back to my Cameron Mid Sur that I cut down and see how I do with it. It does have some toe hang, but not as much as the Anser/Newports I have..

So got fitted a few weeks ago, originally was using a slant neck. Found out that my feet were a bit closed and that I naturally aimed right. They "fixed" my alignment, gave me a sight dot instead of a line, gave me a plumbers neck, made a truckload of straight putts. Now I miss everything slightly left. I'm assuming I'm just adjusting to getting rid of my natural alignment issues, but certainly giving my confidence a hit.

The way ive done it

Get a fit to determine your stroke and style putter that works for you (mallet, blade, toe hang, face balanced etc). Then try as many putters as youd like with that characteristic. Make sure you roll them outside if you can. The way it reacts with grass vs putting matt is so different in my opinion. Sound and feel are different outside as well.

Once you are down to one or two you really like, go back and optimize that putter with fitting. A good fitter will take that putter, adjust weight, adjust loft, etc etc to get that putter you already love performing best for you

It takes time - but enjoy the process. Let the putter pick you! 

• Like 1

Driver - TSR 2 10 degrees. D2 setting. Fujikura Ventus Blue 5s

4 wood - Paradym 15 degrees. +2, Draw setting. Fujikura Ventus Blue 6s

7 wood - Ping G430 Max 21 degrees. Standard loft, Neutral. Ping Chrome 75s

9 wood - Ping G430 Max 24 degrees. Standard Loft, Neutral. Ping Chrome 75s

5-AW - Ping I230, black dot. Dynamic gold 105s.

SW - Titleist Vokey 54, 10 bounce, S grind. Nippon Modus 105s

LW - Titleist vokey 58, 8 bounce, M Grind. Nippon Modus 105s

Putter - Toulon Las Vegas

Ball - ProV1x, Maxli Tour X

Although I’ve been fit on a Quintic in the past, I’m a bit of a skeptic when it comes to putter fitting. With just a little bit of knowledge, I think most can fit themselves. 

Stroke type / Toe hang:  Easy DIY assessment (search YouTube for how to’s). 

Loft:  Forward presser or not?  I think standard loft of putters off the shelf is fine for vast majority of us. 

Lie:  Set up to mirror and see if you’re toe up or toe down. Adjust lie as necessary if you so desire. (Pros play without perfectly flat soled putters and do it very well = Tony Finau, Steve Stricker … ). 

I think most can “fool a putter fitting” by naturally adjusting their stroke during the fitting to get the ideal numbers with whatever putter they have in hand. Yeah, I’m skeptical. 

• Like 1