2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

PXG Gen 6 Driver Challenge: Who's In?

snagy2000

37 minutes ago, aschue said:

I had mine yesterday and “won” I.e. My callaway rogue beat out the Gen6 on distance/ dispersion but it was actually ugly and sobering; like our friend @third-times-a-charm I hate indoor driver fittings a lot and was nervous about hitting the ceiling with my followthro in the little room I was in. Ended up hooking most of the Gen6 drives, even though the Tour AD XC shaft felt great. 
still haven’t gotten the gift card yet, but I’ll give it a couple days

Hold up. Someone else get fit into a AD XC during the challenge 😳 🤔 what’s that say about that shaft…. Or PXG fitters are steers that way???Accuracy is alway the theme when this shaft gets talked about. 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 minute ago, OspreyCI said:

Hold up. Someone else get fit into a AD XC during the challenge 😳 🤔 what’s that say about that shaft…. Or PXG fitters are steers that way???Accuracy is alway the theme when this shaft gets talked about. 

It’s a gooood thought. My fitter (really really

nice guy) picked it over Ventus black (in order to win the “bet,” presumably). Something to think about !!

• Like 1

I lost the challenge, but learned a lot about my current swing.  (There's been a bit of an evolution in the past year, which has been great for all my other clubs.) For some reason (will need to get a lesson), my spin is crazy low.  With my driver, I was getting as low as 600 rpm and up to 1700 rpm.  Similar results with the PXG.  The one picture I took shows 1300 rpm.

I was seeing 15 more yards with the PXG (265 vs 250) and ~5 yards tighter in dispersion, but this is with my low-spin swings, i.e., knuckleballs.  So I need to sort my swing issues out first.

Edited by hlca
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jsteve15 said:

They still haven’t sent me the fitting specs which is pretty annoying. 

Same here I’ve given up

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

19 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Same here I’ve given up

Did not know they would. Sent me trackman data only. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

5 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Did not know they would. Sent me trackman data only. 

I made an account after and theres nothing under my activities so idk.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

IMG_3071.jpeg.24b6d8d6929c129ab52bb505a4e542ba.jpegWalked out a loser by .8 yards in distance. 

My gamer was better in the dispersion category by 25 yards on average. 

I game a 2016 M2 with a cut down yellow HZRDUS Yellow 6.5. 

They had a difficult time, trying to match up a set up that was similar to what I have. I did swing late for my driver, super light and plays a total length of 42.75 inches.

They put a Ventus Black 6X that was a half inch shorter than standard in as the test competition driver. I also tried out a Ventus Blue, and a Tour AD UB 6X (which I currently game in my hybrid). 

Yellow is my gamer. Purple is the comp setup. 

IMG_3071.jpeg

Edited by ALo314
  • Like 1

Just did this. Paradyme TD blew PXG out of the water on ball speed and distance. 180 ball speed to 176 average. Won on dispersion due to PXG being a spinnier head. 

Will give credit where credit is due PXG head is super forgiving and would be good option for those that don’t spin it enough or a fairway finding driver. Super easy to launch. Had PING G425-430 feels. 

Edited by PureStrikes54

I got @OspreyCI-ed 🙄

Tighter dispersion on my TR Red velo 6S shaft but the XC-5S on the Gen6 9* head beat the distance.

Was not the best/optimal driver swings on my own shaft, not compared to the numbers I was getting on my own. Perhaps trying too hard but as others have said, it sucks to be first and PXG drivers are after. Bit of psychology there for sure.

Nonetheless, the Gen6 heads, while PLAIN boring to look down at, definitely performs. I hit it on the toe and it still gear effect draw back to the middle.

The XC-5S was a stunner. I have the XC-6S and while that pairs nicely with my backup gamer, the Rogue ST Max, I didn't quite like it with the S2+ for some odd reason.

May have to reconsider and possible explore the 5 range of shafts. But at $699 for the combo, I think I will wait for the PXG fire sale

Good one from PXG for sure. Fitter was super friendly & helpful and I had a great time. Might go back to try the iron fittings...

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

6 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

I got @OspreyCI-ed 🙄

Tighter dispersion on my TR Red velo 6S shaft but the XC-5S on the Gen6 9* head beat the distance.

Was not the best/optimal driver swings on my own shaft, not compared to the numbers I was getting on my own. Perhaps trying too hard but as others have said, it sucks to be first and PXG drivers are after. Bit of psychology there for sure.

Nonetheless, the Gen6 heads, while PLAIN boring to look down at, definitely performs. I hit it on the toe and it still gear effect draw back to the middle.

The XC-5S was a stunner. I have the XC-6S and while that pairs nicely with my backup gamer, the Rogue ST Max, I didn't quite like it with the S2+ for some odd reason.

May have to reconsider and possible explore the 5 range of shafts. But at $699 for the combo, I think I will wait for the PXG fire sale

Good one from PXG for sure. Fitter was super friendly & helpful and I had a great time. Might go back to try the iron fittings...

😂😂 After my fitting I had to try the XC 5s in my Stealth+. PXG was correct about the shaft, it is a winner for me after 3 range sessions and one round. It had kicked my favorite shaft of all time, Ventus TR Blue, to the curb. Getting more carry and better dispersion with it so far.

I did like the looks of the head and it felt great, just too expensive a setup like you said. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just signed up this morning for a fitting down in Daniel’s Island. Currently playing an Epic Max LS driver I got as a replacement for a cracked face Epic SubZero. Kicker for me will the shaft discussion. Still playing an Aldila RIP Alpha. Have toyed around with the Tensei Blue, but could probably use a shaft freshening. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

😂😂 After my fitting I had to try the XC 5s in my Stealth+. PXG was correct about the shaft, it is a winner for me after 3 range sessions and one round. It had kicked my favorite shaft of all time, Ventus TR Blue, to the curb. Getting more carry and better dispersion with it so far.

I did like the looks of the head and it felt great, just too expensive a setup like you said. 

Posted in another thread. This post did not age well either. TR Blue staying in the bag. Done looking….🤔

• Haha 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

7 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I think you & I are really close in terms of load and SS. IMO, the XC is not a profile everyone falls in love with but the 6S really worked well for me last year. Gonna hunt down a 5S to try it out now. I am just not ready to swap out any PXG head for my S2+

24 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Posted in another thread. This post did not age well either. TR Blue staying in the bag. Done looking….🤔

Spoken like a TRUE WRX ho, ho, ho 😂

I tried the TR Blue, hated it. I have the Blue Velocore and love that but not the TR, something was off there for me.

UPDATE I just picked up a new XC-5S, for a pretty decent price. Can't wait to see the numbers on my Full Swing KIT. Nonetheless, I'll keep this shaft, I need a mid 50s shaft as a backup for the days I don't swing good.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Had a chance to do the PXG challenge today with a friend.  I was hitting my Rogue Max LST with ventus blue .  I did not win the challenge although it was close.  The new PXG 6 gen was quite nice.  Lovely feel and sound - a bit longer ( 3 yards) and dispersion was about the same.  It was a fun experience and the fitter was VERY nice with zero pressure to buy anything.  The downtown Mesa AZ shop is pretty new.  I would recommend folks try it just for the experience. 

• Like 3

On 8/20/2023 at 7:40 AM, gripandrip said:

Just signed up this morning for a fitting down in Daniel’s Island. Currently playing an Epic Max LS driver I got as a replacement for a cracked face Epic SubZero. Kicker for me will the shaft discussion. Still playing an Aldila RIP Alpha. Have toyed around with the Tensei Blue, but could probably use a shaft freshening. Looking forward to it.

Had a chance to do the test today. Unfortunately, I slightly pulled my first drive on my driver and it was enough to let the PXG squeak in on dispersion, but I wasn't really there to try to make 100 bucks.  Current driver had a little more distance. First of all, let me say this was probably one of the most enjoyable fittings/sessions I have had. We were at an outside range and the fitter Max was knowledgeable, friendly and very interested in getting me all the information I needed. He had no appt. behind me, so spent some extra time on shafts and weight combinations and dialed in the driver even better later in the fitting. The PXG head is a nice solid head. For me, the sound was great, very near the perfect sound I got off my old Titleist 910. I'm not sure what people don't like about the head appearance, as I had no issues. Pretty basic shape. Not sure I'm sold on the head yet, but it is not a head to be immediately dismissed for me.

I would encourage people to try this out if you have the opportunity. Very enjoyable, and I learned a lot about different shafts and my swing (I had been working on attack angle). The only downside? I'm probably going to be in the market for an expensive Ventus Blue 6s Velocore in the near future... either in a new driver or existing.

FYI. I did my fitting in Daniel's Island, SC.

Edited by gripandrip
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 2:24 PM, dufferaaron said:

I'm doing it next Saturday at Chicago West. I have time to kill and it's win-win either way as far as I'm concerned - I find a good driver fitting (which I won't buy) or a get $100.

I had to put it off, but just got done and am happy to report that I pocketed the $100.

Wasn't the best swing day for me, but I was hitting my gamer well enough and ended at 258 total with 7' 7" dispersion (wimpy by WRX standards, I know). PXG's first iteration might have actually  won slightly based on distance, but he ended up doing himself in - he was so intent on finding a good setup that I was about 50 shots in and showing fatigue. He actually said "I'm setting you up with this and we're just going to do it regardless. I can see the tired swings."

Best combo was 0311 9* with Ventus blue 6.0, but only won distance by about a yard (could be from warming up), if at all dispersion was not better. Some setups got better head speed, but I got far better impact from my Rogue. Overall, happy with the experience. I felt a little bad for the guy since he was friendly and honestly wanted to find the best combo, even to the program's detriment. Interestingly, they never tried my current shaft in their driver.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue 💎💎💎 9* - HZRDUS Black Gen4 6.0 60g

Hybrid - 3 - Wilson D9 - Tensei CK Silver 70

Irons - 4-5 - Wilson CB - DG S300

Irons - 6-P - Wilson Staff Blades - DG S300

Wedges - 50/54 - Tommy Armour 845 Forged

Wedge - 58 - Wilson Tour Grind - DG 120 Stiff

Wedge - 62 - Sub70 JB Forged

Putter - Bettinardi Queen B #6

Double post

Edited by dufferaaron
Double post

3 hours ago, dufferaaron said:

I had to put it off, but just got done and am happy to report that I pocketed the $100.

Wasn't the best swing day for me, but I was hitting my gamer well enough and ended at 258 total with 7' 7" dispersion (wimpy by WRX standards, I know). PXG's first iteration might have actually  won slightly based on distance, but he ended up doing himself in - he was so intent on finding a good setup that I was about 50 shots in and showing fatigue. He actually said "I'm setting you up with this and we're just going to do it regardless. I can see the tired swings."

Best combo was 0311 9* with Ventus blue 6.0, but only won distance by about a yard (could be from warming up), if at all dispersion was not better. Some setups got better head speed, but I got far better impact from my Rogue. Overall, happy with the experience. I felt a little bad for the guy since he was friendly and honestly wanted to find the best combo, even to the program's detriment. Interestingly, they never tried my current shaft in their driver.

We took the swing data from my driver at the beginning of the session. I did have a chance to warm up, but I did get a little warmer as I hit. I think my dispersion was about 3-4 yards worse because of the one slightly pulled drive, but both were pretty tight. But.. for me.. the Ventus shaft was the real deal. Very easy to hit and for me had a tight dispersion... even hitting for the first time with a new driver head.

1 minute ago, gripandrip said:

But.. for me.. the Ventus shaft was the real deal. Very easy to hit and for me had a tight dispersion... even hitting for the first time with a new driver head.

That's what makes golf interesting - different strokes for different folks. I had worse (but not horrible) dispersion and hated the feel - almost like the head whipped last second to catch up. The black felt better (and was the actual challenge shaft), but I was wearing out by then. I was about 7 yards shorter, but dispersion was still only about 17'. My favorite with the PXG is still the HZRDUS Gen 4.

After trying multiple GEN6 head weighting / shaft combinations I was fit for a GEN6 Cypher fifty 6.0 with the head adjusted to 9.75. I’ve got no idea how they aligned the weight settings.

My Callaway Epic Max 10.5* w/IM10 reg shaft set to standard settings was about 7 yds longer but the Gen6 had better dispersion so I lost the challenge. I prefer the feel of the Callaway over the gen6 as well.

After the challenge I adjusted my Callaway down to 9.5*. I happened to already have a cypher forty 5.5. I know it’s not the same as what I hit in the gen6 but I thought I’d give it a go. Thus far I’ve only had one 9 hole round trying that setup but it was a good driving day.

Overall it was a very positive experience and I would consider PXG in the future.

Edited by Cwing
  • Like 2

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Did this today just for shiggles.  PXG won me over a while back with their customer service after a bad time at another fitter who shall remain nameless, so I wasn't necessarily looking to 'win', more trying to see if it was worth an upgrade or not.  I have a PXG 0311 XF Gen5 Driver with Ventus Black 6S playing at 44".  (also have PXG irons and hybrids, just don't get along with their wedges, and they'll need to pry my Odyssey from my cold dead heads...)

I didn't win, in fact it wasn't really close.  He let me warm up with a 7iron, then hybrid, then hit my driver 10-12 times.  Then he left me hit 8 shots with my current driver and picked the best 3.  So I had 2 really good ones (for my current driver) and 1 just good one.  Was averaging 255 total, 3100 spin, 102.5 clubhead speed, and I don't quite remember the total dispersion.  

He handed me the Gen6 (standard, not XF) with the Hzrdus Gen4 shaft (standard length) and immediately hit 3 (out of 4) drives that went an average of 8 yards further and a similar dispersion.  So he kind of chuckled and said, "okay, you lost, so now we can have some fun."  We tried 2 graphite design shafts with decent results, then we put my shaft (ventus black 6s) in it, and that was fantastic.  10 drives with that and I averaged 282 total, 2300 spin, 103.8 clubhead speed, and the tightest dispersion.  2.5g Heel, 7.5g Toe, 10g Back.  He said the shaft is perfect for my swing.  So we did just a handful of swings with the 7S and also tried 1/2" short and standard length.  Went slightly longer with the longer shaft but dispersion got slightly worse.  Which is to be expected, but I was also getting tired as we were at about 45 minutes and I was swinging hard.  So he said he'd probably just keep me in the same shaft to save $300, haha.

He looked at my fitting for the Gen5 and said my angle of attack and strike points were improved since then, so he also suggested shifting the weights in my current driver.  I currently have a heavier weight in the back to add forgiveness and counteract the 1" shorter length.  However if feels it is adding excess spin.  So my last few swings were with my current driver but an alternate weight setup.  However, I was close to toast, swing speed was 'down' to between 99 and 101 however spin was down to about 2600 which was a goal of that.  So he suggested to do that in the meantime.

Anyway.  I didn't like the feel of the Hzrdus Gen4.  I just couldn't feel the clubhead load on transition, and I couldn't quite tell where I was hitting it on the club face.  With the Ventus I can tell you if its 1/4" off center to heel or toe side.  Maybe it is all placebo effect, but that Ventus shaft just feels awesome to me.  The Gen6 is also a better looking, sounding, and feeling driver than the Gen5.  $500 worth?  You get to decide.  I am at the tail end of my season here, so I am going to see if they drop off in price near black Friday and maybe jump on one then for next year.  I am glad they offered this so I could test it out.  Also nice to know the current shaft I have fits my swing and and current driver head well, as well as potentially fitting my future driver head even better.  I also had zero pressure to buy, and he said he completely understood me waiting to see if they go on sale later.

PXG advertising is really bad, but their customer service has always been fantastic to me.  I don't get why they get so much hate.

EDIT:  I am an 18.4 handicap, and feel that most major OEM drivers perform about the same for my skill level.  Nothing has been that much better or worse, since I already have the PXG tipped Ventus, I am likely locked into PXG for at least one, if not two, more generations.

Edited by miss0033
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, miss0033 said:

Did this today just for shiggles.  PXG won me over a while back with their customer service after a bad time at another fitter who shall remain nameless, so I wasn't necessarily looking to 'win', more trying to see if it was worth an upgrade or not.  I have a PXG 0311 XF Gen5 Driver with Ventus Black 6S playing at 44".  (also have PXG irons and hybrids, just don't get along with their wedges, and they'll need to pry my Odyssey from my cold dead heads...)

I didn't win, in fact it wasn't really close.  He let me warm up with a 7iron, then hybrid, then hit my driver 10-12 times.  Then he left me hit 8 shots with my current driver and picked the best 3.  So I had 2 really good ones (for my current driver) and 1 just good one.  Was averaging 255 total, 3100 spin, 102.5 clubhead speed, and I don't quite remember the total dispersion.  

He handed me the Gen6 (standard, not XF) with the Hzrdus Gen4 shaft (standard length) and immediately hit 3 (out of 4) drives that went an average of 8 yards further and a similar dispersion.  So he kind of chuckled and said, "okay, you lost, so now we can have some fun."  We tried 2 graphite design shafts with decent results, then we put my shaft (ventus black 6s) in it, and that was fantastic.  10 drives with that and I averaged 282 total, 2300 spin, 103.8 clubhead speed, and the tightest dispersion.  2.5g Heel, 7.5g Toe, 10g Back.  He said the shaft is perfect for my swing.  So we did just a handful of swings with the 7S and also tried 1/2" short and standard length.  Went slightly longer with the longer shaft but dispersion got slightly worse.  Which is to be expected, but I was also getting tired as we were at about 45 minutes and I was swinging hard.  So he said he'd probably just keep me in the same shaft to save $300, haha.

He looked at my fitting for the Gen5 and said my angle of attack and strike points were improved since then, so he also suggested shifting the weights in my current driver.  I currently have a heavier weight in the back to add forgiveness and counteract the 1" shorter length.  However if feels it is adding excess spin.  So my last few swings were with my current driver but an alternate weight setup.  However, I was close to toast, swing speed was 'down' to between 99 and 101 however spin was down to about 2600 which was a goal of that.  So he suggested to do that in the meantime.

Anyway.  I didn't like the feel of the Hzrdus Gen4.  I just couldn't feel the clubhead load on transition, and I couldn't quite tell where I was hitting it on the club face.  With the Ventus I can tell you if its 1/4" off center to heel or toe side.  Maybe it is all placebo effect, but that Ventus shaft just feels awesome to me.  The Gen6 is also a better looking, sounding, and feeling driver than the Gen5.  $500 worth?  You get to decide.  I am at the tail end of my season here, so I am going to see if they drop off in price near black Friday and maybe jump on one then for next year.  I am glad they offered this so I could test it out.  Also nice to know the current shaft I have fits my swing and and current driver head well, as well as potentially fitting my future driver head even better.  I also had zero pressure to buy, and he said he completely understood me waiting to see if they go on sale later.

PXG advertising is really bad, but their customer service has always been fantastic to me.  I don't get why they get so much hate.

EDIT:  I am an 18.4 handicap, and feel that most major OEM drivers perform about the same for my skill level.  Nothing has been that much better or worse, since I already have the PXG tipped Ventus, I am likely locked into PXG for at least one, if not two, more generations.

Their advertising is so bad, yet you remember it, so in reality it must be so good! 😂

I'm also going in Thursday for "the challenge". The Aerojet LS has kicked my Gen6 to the curb so I'm going to give PXG/fitter a chance for redemption. 

15 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Their advertising is so bad, yet you remember it, so in reality it must be so good! 😂

I'm also going in Thursday for "the challenge". The Aerojet LS has kicked my Gen6 to the curb so I'm going to give PXG/fitter a chance for redemption. 

Curious to see how this goes. Is Chris fitting you??

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag