2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Want to get out of PXG Gen 3 XP and into something else.

WWTWD

So I currently have 4-GW of the PXG Gen3 XP. I have had them for a few years now and have vastly improved since I purchased them

Im a 14HC now, but I still need to probably use at least some mild GI irons. As most of you know the XP series of PXGs are very strong lofted and large head GI Irons. 

I was thinking of maybe the new T350s when they come out, or something similar (P790, ZX7). Do any of you have a recommendation coming from such strong GI irons and getting into another brand?

Thanks! 

Edited by WWTWD

5 minutes ago, Rob_shields said:

Cant go wrong with P790s, pxg P Irons, srixon zx5 etc. I would look at all of the "players distance" type irons. Lots of forgiveness, distance and look good while doing it.  

I do like the new P790s that just came out as well, very clean and look great. 

Ive heard really good things from the community as well. 

What about the ZX7's?

Yeah, just get the 0311P distance players irons.  The P790 feel terrible by comparison to those!

• Like 3

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, KBS Tour Proto HY 95/105 S+

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

20 minutes ago, WWTWD said:

I do like the new P790s that just came out as well, very clean and look great. 

Ive heard really good things from the community as well. 

What about the ZX7's?

I believe those are a player’s iron. Thought you wanted a club with a little help.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

2 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

Yeah, just get the 0311P distance players irons.  The P790 feel terrible by comparison to those!

Back in 2020 I compared the PXG 0211 and the P790.  The PXGs were significantly cheaper, and felt way better on pure strikes.  Mis-hits felt similar on both, and forgiving was similar.  The P790s went slightly further, but also had stronger lofts on the long irons.  Looks were a toss-up between the 2 for me.  Both the P790s and 0211s are 2 generations removed from when I hit them, so maybe a lot has change, but I kind of doubt it.  

I'd take a look at the P series, or the 0211 if you wanted to save some cash.  The 0211s are still a pretty solid iron.  

I have a friend who is a single digit handicap who plays with the XPs... just saying.  If you feel that is what is preventing you from improving and lowering scores, it isn't.  If you just want a smaller, better looking/feeling iron?  Go nuts.  This is GolfWRX after all.  Better yet, buy several sets of each, all with different shafts and test them.  Then sell the ones that didn't make the cut on here. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, miss0033 said:

Back in 2020 I compared the PXG 0211 and the P790.  The PXGs were significantly cheaper, and felt way better on pure strikes.  Mis-hits felt similar on both, and forgiving was similar.  The P790s went slightly further, but also had stronger lofts on the long irons.  Looks were a toss-up between the 2 for me.  Both the P790s and 0211s are 2 generations removed from when I hit them, so maybe a lot has change, but I kind of doubt it.  

I'd take a look at the P series, or the 0211 if you wanted to save some cash.  The 0211s are still a pretty solid iron.  

I have a friend who is a single digit handicap who plays with the XPs... just saying.  If you feel that is what is preventing you from improving and lowering scores, it isn't.  If you just want a smaller, better looking/feeling iron?  Go nuts.  This is GolfWRX after all.  Better yet, buy several sets of each, all with different shafts and test them.  Then sell the ones that didn't make the cut on here. 

I had the 0211 irons and they felt terrible. Reluctantly, I upgraded to the 0311P irons and the difference was night and day. Comparing the two sets to each other was an apples to oranges experience personally. I would suggest demo’ing the sets you’re interested in.  

• Like 1

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

I would seriously look into the new T-350s as those are the very best GI irons Titleist has ever made as Titleist made some big improvements over last years model. I had the PXG Gen 4XP as they were just ok they did feel nice but went to try the Gen 5’s when they came out and just didn’t see an improvement. So many different brands to pick from so go test as many as you can. You won’t be the only one to leave a particular brand that you’ve played with for years for another brand as I personally have no regrets doing so. 

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

5 hours ago, WWTWD said:

So I currently have 4-GW of the PXG Gen3 XP. I have had them for a few years now and have vastly improved since I purchased them

Im a 14HC now, but I still need to probably use at least some mild GI irons. As most of you know the XP series of PXGs are very strong lofted and large head GI Irons. 

I was thinking of maybe the new T350s when they come out, or something similar (P790, ZX7). Do any of you have a recommendation coming from such strong GI irons and getting into another brand?

Thanks! 

Go to the Gen4 P irons. Still great feel, but not as strong lofted and still forgiving. There are good deals to be had on them as well.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

45 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Go to the Gen4 P irons. Still great feel, but not as strong lofted and still forgiving. There are good deals to be had on them as well.

I think the person who started this topic said said he wants to get out of the PXG Gen 3 XP doesn’t necessarily mean he wants to stay with PXG but the Gen 4’s are a nice choice. Why wouldn't it be best to try out as many different brands as possible as maybe switching to a different brand might be the best thing to do as something may work better for him as it has for me and not just for me but many other people too. Sometimes change is good. 

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

T350 is really another GI club along the lines of the XP. I would think the T200 would be more along the lines you are looking for. As others have mentioned, the P790, the 0311P, the ZX5 Mk II would be good options too. I’d also look at the Mizuno Pro 225s. Out of those I was down to the Srixons and 0311P Gen 5, and I ended up going with the 0311P. I obviously did not get to try the new T200s, but I love my 0311Ps and have absolutely no regrets.

Edited by CM1547
  • Like 3

I would echo the 0311 P or T200 or P790 suggestion - those are probably the best "in-between" irons that's vastly benefitting from nowaday technology to provide a great players iron ish look with great forgiveness

• Like 1

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

Try gen 6 0311p and also maybe combo’ing the 0317 cb’s in your shorter irons.  You can’t beat the feel and performance of PXG.   I tried the new t150’s and hit pure they felt ok but not nearly as good as my PXG’s.  Mishits stung like frostbite.   If I ever was to make a change I’d almost lean toward Cobra or even Miura but feel is a personally thing for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WWTWD said:

Thanks! 

The T350’s are Titelist’s version of the XP’s. If you want something a little less forgiving (i don’t know why you would at this point) the 0211’s for half the price and see how you do with them. They’re similar to the 790 and i210’s, and are only $99 a club.

It might not be the case here in fantasy land, but in the real world ZX7’s are a big ask for a 15 cap.

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 1

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10S

TITLEIST SM9 58-8M

CLEVELAND Smart Sole 4.0 C

L.A.B. DF3  34” 69*

I play off a 10.4 right now and I have the Gen3 XP’s. They’re the exact type iron I’d recommend for you if you asked me to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10S

TITLEIST SM9 58-8M

CLEVELAND Smart Sole 4.0 C

L.A.B. DF3  34” 69*

On 8/10/2023 at 1:19 PM, WWTWD said:

Thanks! 

Test the Gen 5 or Gen 6 XP’s. Better looking heads than the Gen 3, you keep all the forgiveness and can bend them a couple degrees weak. It’s hard to beat the XP’s. The top line almost looks thinner than the P790, the feel is miles better, forgiveness is better. Blade length is a bit longer in the XP’s. Just a thought. 

Edited by Lefty87

18 hours ago, James Cole said:

Hey OP, 

Am on the exact same boat as you, currently play G4 XPs at 8hcp, not looking to upgrade at the moment, but what are you gaining going to a player distance besides less forgiveness and better looks?

T

I went from Gen3 XP to Gen4 P with MMT 70 shafts hoping to gain more trajectory. While they did fly higher, they weren’t as forgiving on my miss, which is toe side. I’ve now went to Gen4 XP with Axiom shafts and I’m getting the best performance I want. Forgiveness on my toe miss, more distance from the stronger lofts, but higher trajectory and spin from the shafts. 

• Like 1

Now who is going to want to spend that kind of money on Axiom shafts when he clearly want to get out of the Gen 3 XP's. Yes the newer Gen 4's 5 or 6 would be nicer but Why does everything have to be another PXG model, Heck put those Axiom shafts in the new P 790's, Mizuno Pro's, PING i230, new Titleist T-150 or T-200 and they will perform like magic compared to the Gen 3 XP's. Axiom shafts are not cheap and they are not even offered as an up grade. 

Don’t forget about the new Callaway Apex line coming out soon. I recently played with a rental set of the Paradym irons and they are really nice too. I think you’ll enjoy playing something along these product lines vs the T350’s. 

Both are player’s distance irons that are forged and offer a bit of help.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, pak said:

Don’t forget about the new Callaway Apex line coming out soon. I recently played with a rental set of the Paradym irons and they are really nice too. I think you’ll enjoy playing something along these product lines vs the T350’s. 

Both are player’s distance irons that are forged and offer a bit of help.

Best of luck!

I'm glad you mentioned the new Callaway Apex line as I should have mentioned them too. So many good brands to choose from as they rank right up there with the best of the best along with the new MKii Srixon ZX 5 and 7's and Cobra's. 

Edited by Tiptx1122
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Now who is going to want to spend that kind of money on Axiom shafts when he clearly want to get out of the Gen 3 XP's. Yes the newer Gen 4's 5 or 6 would be nicer but Why does everything have to be another PXG model, Heck put those Axiom shafts in the new P 790's, Mizuno Pro's, PING i230, new Titleist T-150 or T-200 and they will perform like magic compared to the Gen 3 XP's. Axiom shafts are not cheap and they are not even offered as an up grade. 

Where did I say he should do what I did? It was advice, same as yours. Not sure what your issue is with PXG irons or what I play, but welcome to the ignore list….

6 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Where did I say he should do what I did? It was advice, same as yours. Not sure what your issue is with PXG irons or what I play, but welcome to the ignore list….

No problem as I'm just curious as to why you even mentioned those Axiom shafts as those are some very nice shafts for the money. You even got me curious about getting those shafts someday...maybe. I don't have issues with PXG as I even mentioned getting them. I just don't know why so many PXG owners get all bent out of shape when OP give advice on certain brands. When speaking the truth it's sometimes easy to get ignored as facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored 

Edited by Tiptx1122

• 2 weeks later...

I'd stand pat until you are breaking 80 with regularity.  And even at that, using irons that are harder to hit won't make your scores better.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I went from an 11.3 last Sept. to current 6.6 index with PXG XP Gen4 irons.  Easy to hit, great distance with consistent gaps and hold greens well for me.  They feel amazing and are so forgiving.

I don’t ever plan on changing…even bought a brand new backup set from a member here when these irons wear down, may even lookout for a 3rd set

FOR ME they’re perfect and I have no wanderlust for irons whatsoever.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kid Frisco said:

I went from an 11.3 last Sept. to current 6.6 index with PXG XP Gen4 irons.  Easy to hit, great distance with consistent gaps and hold greens well for me.  They feel amazing and are so forgiving.

I don’t ever plan on changing…even bought a brand new backup set from a member here when these irons wear down, may even lookout for a 3rd set

FOR ME they’re perfect and I have no wanderlust for irons whatsoever.  Good luck with your search.

Hurry up and buy that 3rd set of the same brand model and make a new post about it as you might be the only one here that would have 3 of the same sets. Never heard of that I could be wrong but you would should and could get a trophy but I’m not convinced that they are any better than some of your other big name brands. I did at one time own 2 of the same AP2’s but one set had graphite and the other steel so maybe that is why you have 2, plus I had to wait for my graphite set to come in before I could trade my steel set in.

Edited by Tiptx1122

19 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Hurry up and buy that 3rd set of the same brand model and make a new post about it as you might be the only one here that would have 3 of the same sets. Never heard of that I could be wrong but you would should and could get a trophy but I’m not convinced that they are any better than some of your other big name brands. I did at one time own 2 of the same AP2’s but one set had graphite and the other steel so maybe that is why you have 2, plus I had to wait for my graphite set to come in before I could trade my steel set in.

I know it sounds crazy to own multiple sets of the same irons but I’ve been playing the best golf of my life and I just don’t want to go through an adjustment period with another set.  

I’ve owned irons from most of the other OEMs and they’re all good.  By all means, the OP should check out all the gear available.   I went through Ping, Taylormade, Titleist and PXG.   Something just clicks with me with these Gen4 XPs.  I also prefer the extreme dark finish and appearance to the newer generations which is why I bought another new set before they become hard to find in that condition.

With all the gear ho’s in this forum, I’ll bet I’m not the only one that thinks this way?

Edited by Kid Frisco