2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What’s your favorite two piece ball??

Mike GolfNerd

I've got some Callaway Warbirds with my company logo on them that I got as a gift from the owner.

Also have some Bridgestone E6 Soft two piece balls that I also got as a gift during a trip to Hawaii from one of the Father In Law's Suppliers.

Both were/are solid choices in the 2-Piece range IMO, but there are others I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

2 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I spent 6-8 months playing a two-piece ball regularly just to see if there was any chance, once I got used to it, I might find it performs as well as a urethane ball for me. The Supersoft was for me clearly the best of the lot, I think it as good as any two-piece ball can be.

At the end of the experiment, I happily went back to urethane balls but I could certainly get by playing Supersoft just fine. Not so sure about some of the other two-piece models, though. Supersoft seems to largely make up for its lack of approach shot spin by flying really, really, really high and coming in at an amazing descent angle on mid- and short-iron shots. Some of the two-piecers are low spin without the super high flight.

I agree 1000%. The Supersoft is an excellent 2 piece ball. I will add this, the matte finish balls have sneaky spin off of the 8,9 and wedges that the gloss finish doesn't quite seem to have. Have you noticed this? I was kind of surprised by this. I mean it's not backing up 5 feet but it is throwing the brakes on pretty hard. The matte finish feels stickier than the gloss finish, maybe that's the reason? I don't know but I have no problem playing them in a pinch

• Like 3

image.png.96dfc1a322d2f6ce9ea9b0646a0eba06.png

Cobra LTDx 9º Driver HZRDUS Blue RDX 6.5 

Cobra Radspeed 3wood 14½º Motore X F3 6S

Bullet Ti-Lies 7wood (mid 1990's) Harrison Pro shaft XS

2023 Cobra King Tec Utility 2 iron 17º KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-GW Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105s

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2024 Odyssey AI Cruiser Jailbird

Winn Dri-Tac Wrap Standard grips

Kirkland V3 Performance Plus | Callaway ERC soft | Vice Pro/Plus 

2 minutes ago, golf-RN said:

I agree 1000%. The Supersoft is an excellent 2 piece ball. I will add this, the matte finish balls have sneaky spin off of the 8,9 and wedges that the gloss finish doesn't quite seem to have. Have you noticed this? I was kind of surprised by this. I mean it's not backing up 5 feet but it is throwing the brakes on pretty hard. The matte finish feels stickier than the gloss finish, maybe that's the reason? I don't know but I have no problem playing them in a pinch

I've not used the matte ones. 

The Titleist TruFeel is my ball. I’m a 9 hcp

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I choose a ball based on cost, cause I lose quite a few each year. I played the red Supersoft for about a year. I loved the way it feels, and it seems to have great spin with my approach irons. I can regularly get it to stop within a foot of pitchmark with my 9 and PW. I switched to the Kirkland this year because its cheaper, and I was looking to try a urethane ball. But the Supersoft is my second choice, and I will go back to it if this excursion with the Kirkland ball doesn't work out.

• Like 2

Callaway Supersoft.  If I was told I couldn't play my normal urethane balls (Maxfli Tour or Snell MTB Prime) and had to play only one kind of 2 piece ball for the rest of the season it would be that one.  A little too soft for my liking but it's very consistent and for an ionomer cover ball it has some predictability in greenside performance, albeit rolling out a bit more than urethane.   

• Like 2

Callaway Supersoft and Wilson Duosoft.  As already mentioned, they both seem to have enough launch/height to make up for lower spin.  I also build my clubs with fairly light weight/flex shafts, so I get a lot of launch/height out of my irons, even the older school Japanese forged blades and small cavity backs I tend to build.  And I play early in the morning when the sprinklers have just turned off, and the greens are soft and receptive.  I get once small hop and stop.

I played a set of ProV1 last week for five rounds and was getting 20ft of spin back on a 7-iron.  It looked cool, but my approach stats (according to Arccos) was actually worse.  It was much harder to predict where the ball would end up, as opposed to just aiming for the spot it would land and stop at.

I also love the feel of a Supersoft coming off the face of an older forged iron. 

I also find the Supersoft are popular enough (Callaway's best selling ball according to Callaway) that it is easy to find AAAAA and AAAA condition used balls in bulk, for cheap.  Current selection was a bag of 120 AAAA balls for $60 delivered.  50 cents a ball.  And I got the yellow ones.

Edited by subrew
  • Like 4

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

On 8/24/2023 at 5:39 PM, subrew said:

Callaway Supersoft and Wilson Duosoft.  As already mentioned, they both seem to have enough launch/height to make up for lower spin.  I also build my clubs with fairly light weight/flex shafts, so I get a lot of launch/height out of my irons, even the older school Japanese forged blades and small cavity backs I tend to build.  And I play early in the morning when the sprinklers have just turned off, and the greens are soft and receptive.  I get once small hop and stop.

I played a set of ProV1 last week for five rounds and was getting 20ft of spin back on a 7-iron.  It looked cool, but my approach stats (according to Arccos) was actually worse.  It was much harder to predict where the ball would end up, as opposed to just aiming for the spot it would land and stop at.

I also love the feel of a Supersoft coming off the face of an older forged iron. 

I also find the Supersoft are popular enough (Callaway's best selling ball according to Callaway) that it is easy to find AAAAA and AAAA condition used balls in bulk, for cheap.  Current selection was a bag of 120 AAAA balls for $60 delivered.  50 cents a ball.  And I got the yellow ones.

I am definitely including your thought on used ball availability.  Thanks!!

Wilson Staff Zip

As others have said, the Wilson Staff 50 Elite is a great ball.  Well, it's twin brother the Zip is just as good.  They both have the same 302 dimple pattern with a soft feel.  I don't give up any distance off the tee either, having played it side by side with all types of balls from a ProV1 to Vice Pro to SuperSoft.  For reference, I am averaging about 280 off the tee right now with my longer drives touching 295-300, and I'm getting those results with the Zip.  What's better is you can pick up a double dozen of Zips for around $25-$30. 

As far as holding greens go, I can stop and hop a Zip.  I've even backed them up.  Just this weekend on a par 3, 175-yard shot, I stopped, hopped, and backed up a Zip where it came to rest in its own pitch mark with a 6 iron.  

For the money, it's the best 2-piece ball out there and can hold its own with the most popular 2-piece ball, the SuperSoft.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Vice Pro or Wilson Staff Zip

Callaway Warbird and Pinnacle Rush.  Use both of them quite extensively in the Winter.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Callaway Supersoft is #1 but the rest are great also....

Wilson Duo

Pinnacle Rush

Srixon Soft Feel

Titleist TruFeel

TM Soft Response

e6

...They won't disappoint the slow swingers (Tee to Green).  Chipping and putting is a different story, unfortunately.

Regards 

On 8/24/2023 at 7:27 AM, jordan2240 said:

I haven't tried that many, but I like to play an orange ball, and like the coloring of the Wilson 50 elite best.  The ball works just fine.

The 50 might be the best two piece ball ever. I played a couple for a few rounds earlier this year and if I didn’t have a 3yr stash of Duo Pro I’d stock on the 50 as my permanent ball

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

4 hours ago, Bad9 said:

The 50 might be the best two piece ball ever. I played a couple for a few rounds earlier this year and if I didn’t have a 3yr stash of Duo Pro I’d stock on the 50 as my permanent ball

As far as I can tell, it does everything a golf ball is supposed to do, and at a very good price.  Distance is good and it seems to hold greens fine, though I can't say anything about spin because I don't play well enough to use spin.  Several times today it stopped within a foot or two of its pitch mark, and the greens weren't that soft.

• Like 1