Jordan Spieth's "short" right hand grip

getitdaily

From personal instruction and tinkering, the shorter my right hand gets at address, the worse I hit it. I had an instructor (a very good one) tell me and reiterate in a lesson note to have a "longer right hand". He wanted more of my right hand to be on the grip...almost 10 finger like

Spieth has a very short right hand. How much does that play into how wonky he gets, off the tee especially? 

5 hours ago, getitdaily said:

From personal instruction and tinkering, the shorter my right hand gets at address, the worse I hit it. I had an instructor (a very good one) tell me and reiterate in a lesson note to have a "longer right hand". He wanted more of my right hand to be on the grip...almost 10 finger like

Spieth has a very short right hand. How much does that play into how wonky he gets, off the tee especially? 

I’m not arguing. But can you show me his is short ?  Assuming you have a pic saved etc.  or just tell what you mean ? 

I know he interlocks “ deep “. But I don’t know how he’d make it short.  Unless that’s what you mean.  I interlock deep ( web to web ) but with a long thumb.  I went there from overlap  years ago in order to hit it straight.  Tame a hook.  Still works. 

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’m not arguing. But can you show me his is short ?  Assuming you have a pic saved etc.  or just tell what you mean ? 

I know he interlocks “ deep “. But I don’t know how he’d make it short.  Unless that’s what you mean.  I interlock deep ( web to web ) but with a long thumb.  I went there from overlap  years ago in order to hit it straight.  Tame a hook.  Still works. 

Spieth vs tiger.

You can only see 2 lead hand fingers with spieth. You can see 3 with tiger. That right hand is way up the club, hugging that left hand heavily.

Screenshot_20230825-182731.png

Screenshot_20230825-182856.png

8 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Spieth vs tiger.

You can only see 2 lead hand fingers with spieth. You can see 3 with tiger. That right hand is way up the club, hugging that left hand heavily.

Screenshot_20230825-182731.png

Screenshot_20230825-182856.png

Huh.  I see what you mean.  Checked myself I can see 3 on the lead like tiger.  How is jordan doing that ?  Now I’m intrigued for sure. 

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If a longer lower hand is better, then I'm glad that I've always used a 10 finger grip for golf.  I never understood why folks would overlap or interlock.  The 10 finger grip also works well in baseball.

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

FW-4/7 woods--Callaway Paradym

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

5 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

That picture shared above is what sent me down a grip rabbit hole a few years back. It's actually pretty fascinating and is becoming more and more common on tour. DJ, Morikawa, Kitayama, Simpson.....we're seeing more players really mashing their hands closer together in various ways. It reduces the ability for the hands to work independently which for guys that get the club into positions that require minimal rerouting to get on plane makes a simpler overall set of variables. It's no coincidence that DJ, Spieth, and Morikawa all have fairly similarly laid off club positions at the top. I wouldn't correlate driver accuracy to grip though, Morikawa has almost the same grip setup as Spieth and is one of the most accurate drivers on tour for years now.  

I also saw that rabbit hole but I only looked in it😂

what got me curious about that was the cowx hell drill. Spieth always seemed very left arm dominated swing so it was my assumption that he did that to help eliminate the right hand from taking over. Would make sense given his left hand low putting stroke. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, airjammer said:

I also saw that rabbit hole but I only looked in it😂

what got me curious about that was the cowx hell drill. Spieth always seemed very left arm dominated swing so it was my assumption that he did that to help eliminate the right hand from taking over. Would make sense given his left hand low putting stroke. 

Spieth is left handed. Plays righty.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

That picture shared above is what sent me down a grip rabbit hole a few years back. It's actually pretty fascinating and is becoming more and more common on tour. DJ, Morikawa, Kitayama, Simpson.....we're seeing more players really mashing their hands closer together in various ways. It reduces the ability for the hands to work independently which for guys that get the club into positions that require minimal rerouting to get on plane makes a simpler overall set of variables. It's no coincidence that DJ, Spieth, and Morikawa all have fairly similarly laid off club positions at the top. I wouldn't correlate driver accuracy to grip though, Morikawa has almost the same grip setup as Spieth and is one of the most accurate drivers on tour for years now.  

In a Me and My Golf video recently Padraig said for the last two years he’s been using a double overlap with his driver swing because he’s able to swing it faster, just another name to add in there.

Jordan is a bit funky, he writes with his right hand but throws left handed. His golf swing always looks to me like both arms are doing equal amount of work and just really balanced. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, byoung14 said:

Here’s a more up close view of his grip

IMG_7240.jpeg

See. I don’t understand how anyone plays that wrapped bottom thumb?  A trigger finger under with a long thumb gives so much more race feel and control , in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Spieth is left handed. Plays righty.

I'm left handed but play golf righty too... and I went 'yikes' when i saw that photo above of his bizarro right hand grip. He really only has two fingers of his right hand on the grip (but then he also has that freakish right thumb too)

It's very odd looking, but there have been other Pros who use/used a two finger overlap - Jim Furyk among them.

I  tried the double overlap briefly,,, may give it another whirl for fun, but more a 'standard' double overlap as below link

https://golfworkoutprogram.com/double-overlap-golf-grip/

Edited by coops
  • Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

9 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I can why his driver is a mess.

He actually has his right inside palm pad over his left middle finger.  And appears to be squeezing with his right ( lower)ring finger on his left thumb.  

I see what you mean now.  This is very much like a double overlap , for interlockers 🤣

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Speith's is very odd indeed... a brief garden experiment and my 'usual' double overlap (as in the one i'd tried many years ago) looks more like that in the link i posted above, or Furyk here...

furyk.double.overlap.jpg.3607913268c391df0d758e5667b03c76.jpg

However... i will give my new grip a try tomorrow at the range while I get some putters regripped with round Edel grips.

I am calling this The Double overinterlap.

IMG_1301.jpg.7f30a880c1e620bd8f70394dd1f5fca8.jpg

It looks fairly normal from address view (at least i don't have the Speith Right Thumb snooker cue thing going on) - I've edited it to remove my hairy feet, haha but kept some tan lines for effect

IMG_1303cropped.jpg.a1df9d4390c59d7d71d32af48b1f2e60.jpg

Edited by coops
  • Haha 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

25 minutes ago, coops said:

Speith's is very odd indeed... a brief garden experiment and my 'usual' double overlap (as in the one i'd tried many years ago) looks more like that in the link i posted above, or Furyk here...

furyk.double.overlap.jpg.3607913268c391df0d758e5667b03c76.jpg

However... i will give my new grip a try tomorrow at the range while I get some putters regripped with round Edel grips.

It looks fairly normal from address view (at least i don't have the Speith Right Thumb snooker cue thing going on) - I've edited it to remove my hairy feet, haha but kept some tan lines for effect

IMG_1303cropped.jpg.a1df9d4390c59d7d71d32af48b1f2e60.jpg

You call it double overinterlap. I call inter right window breaker.

Potato potahto...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Valtiel said:

...we're seeing more players really mashing their hands closer together in various ways. It reduces the ability for the hands to work independently...

FWIW, and you may disagree, one of the first "Paddy's Tips," on the grip, advocated a very high right hand placement over the left thumb.  Similar, at least IMHO, to what you note.  Along with a very fingers-centric left hand:  grip was in the fingers' third pads, vs being a little lower in the fourth pads (where the fingers are part of the palm).

It was quite a bit more powerful than my previous grip, evidenced by considerably further ball flight for a given swing length, better face control, and more aggressive ground interaction with wedges/short irons.  It also put a great deal of stress on my hands that I'm still working around.

EDIT:  Didn't even realize @gators78made a similar point above.  

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy

57 minutes ago, SwingHitter said:

Impact pressures.

I vaguely remember Monte or @iacas pointing out that while instruction and pros's feels might claim to hold the grip "like a bird you're trying to keep from leaving," actual grip force measurements show that they're putting a huge amount of force on the grip.  Which makes sense, if they're having to apply >100 lbs of centripetal force to accelerate the club near impact.

Edited by Jayjay_theweim_guy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

I vaguely remember Monte or @iacas pointing out that while instruction and pros's feels might claim to hold the grip "like a bird you're trying to keep from leaving," actual grip force measurements show that they're putting a huge amount of force on the grip.  Which makes sense, if they're having to apply >100 lbs of centripetal force to accelerate the club near impact.

Yeah, you'd better have a good hold on that grip if you want to provide the necessary force to keep the clubhead moving on an arc, and not just flying off at a tangent out of control with you flat on your face... 

The mass and velocity of the clubhead and the human's arms is one thing... but at least we're not throwing an approx 7.2kg lump around...

sep621_physics_hammer_main.jpg.15836739e315cbe17d319b0787eceaed.jpg

https://www.eeweb.com/physics-in-hammer-throw/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coops said:

Yeah, you'd better have a good hold on that grip if you want to provide the necessary force to keep the clubhead moving on an arc, and not just flying off at a tangent out of control with you flat on your face... 

The mass and velocity of the clubhead and the human's arms is one thing... but at least we're not throwing an approx 7.2kg lump around...

sep621_physics_hammer_main.jpg.15836739e315cbe17d319b0787eceaed.jpg

https://www.eeweb.com/physics-in-hammer-throw/

Interestingly, she has the same grip as spieth.

On 8/25/2023 at 5:43 PM, getitdaily said:

I can why his driver is a mess.

We would all like such a mess.  Positive strokes gained off the tee…..roughly the same as

Finau

Fitzpatrick

Thomas

Fowler

Harman

Kim

• Like 4

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

On 8/26/2023 at 3:46 AM, coops said:

Funny, this is almost exactly the grip I use to putt. Only difference is that my right ring finger is under the left index, not fully interlocked. With a conventional single-overlap grip my right shoulder tends to rotate internally too much and I have to fight an ugly outside-in reroute. Left-hand-low is OK for short putts but kills my speed control. Double overlapping gets my trail side into a much more neutral position and I still retain the speed control I have from putting conventional. I would never use this grip for full swings though lol

Edited by ac6