More speed without screwing up sequence

Asics10

Speed is going to change your swing >> or at least how you feel it. You should just accept that going in and try to make those subtle changes good ones.

Most programs start by trying to get you moving faster (sometimes with a stick) before getting you to find the center of the face next and eventually learning to straighten out your golf shots last. 

Ideally you should be on a program that blends everything so that while you might have particular drills that focus purely on speed you're never that far from controlled drives either. The goal is to mix and match all sorts of practice sessions (speed vs accuracy) and be at a place some weeks down the road where you're just as accurate but now swinging some % faster. 

If you're finding that speed is hurting your game, you may just be getting a bit too aggressive with that side of practice. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

1. Are you hitting the middle consistently? Go on a Trackman or something and see what your smash is like on driver. If it's above 1.45, then ur in good shape. If you are not, any speed drills or speed stick work is useless.

2. If you consistently hit the middle of the face with a good smash, then you can work on speed. I would simply increase tempo. For example, I have a normal speed for all of my irons, maybe with 80% effort. On my wedges, I don't swing all out. I give maybe 70%. Why? Because priority is consistency, secondly a more penetrating ball flight. A slower tempo achieves that. For driver, I swing 80% but if I want more distance, I simply take the club back quicker and try to match that speed in the downswing.

There are lots of other things you can do for speed (lifting the lead foot, weight shift, longer back swing, etc.) but in order to add speed and be consistent, the best thing you can do is keep your current swing mechanics and sequence and simply up the tempo.

Edited by slytown
  • Like 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

Get stronger in the gym.

Proper technique, I always seem to swing fast and easy when I'm in the right positions.

Speed training, being stronger will make this easier since you can hold and move better. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

7 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

I'm pretty annoyed with Stack that after spending $350, you still have to pay $100 for the subscription fee.  

Thought it was included first year and if you refer anyone you get an extra year free for everyone that uses your discount code. Wondering if this changed. 

Edited by PureStrikes54

6 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Thought it was included first year and if you refer anyone you get an extra year free for everyone that uses your discount code. Wondering if this changed. 

It's free for the first year, but that's still pretty annoying....   The thing costs almost 2x as speed sticks and you have to pay a subscription.  

26 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

I'm pretty annoyed with Stack that after spending $350, you still have to pay $100 for the subscription fee.  

Can certainly understand that, but the results I've had are such that it doesn't bother me THAT much.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Make sure your face and path are in order. Shift earlier. Get to your front side by P4. Then you can jump, swing the arms faster, rotate, whatever. Every part of the sequence has to be sped up or you'll have inefficiences to account for in transition and downswing, which slow you up.

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

6 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

First thing is to ensure that you don’t have any power leaks in your swing. 

THIS!!

In my early 50s I thought I was maxed out. Ends up I had some bad habits that were costing me. Once I got those taken care of, the speed just came along with it. Went from 103 (trying hard) to 110 (swinging smooth) pretty quick. I'll be 61 next month and still swinging 110+.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Like 4

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Big fan of the SuperSpeed program, I've gained at least 5mph clubhead speed and I'm now hitting 170 b/s with what feels like my same golf course/tournament swing. I am looking forward to diving in again over the winter and see where I can get to.

Edited by pmoore311
grammer

25 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

THIS!!

In my early 50s I thought I was maxed out. Ends up I had some bad habits that were costing me. Once I got those taken care of, the speed just came along with it. Went from 103 (trying hard) to 110 (swinging smooth) pretty quick. I'll be 61 next month and still swinging 110+.

BT

Could you elaborate on some of these habits?

I knew that was coming. For the life of me I DO NOT remember what my leaks were, but how I realized them and fixed it is borderline embarrassing. Anyway, here goes.....

I was sitting in my den one winter watching the Ladies play. LPGA players have some of the best mechanics IMHO and their effortless power has always dumbfounded me. Anyway, for some reason I became really focused on their sequence of movements and how they were hitting the ball a lot farther than it looked like their swing should produce. I started taking note of the timing of the hips, shoulders, arms, hands & club movements and how it would feel to make that same motion. It suddenly hit me that I was NOT swinging like that at all and I needed to change ASAP. I grabbed my driver and went to my garage and tried making their motion. After SEVERAL trips out there and back, rewinding the video and then swinging, I finally got it working and I could feel the increased speed coming with less effort. Well, I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening working on that feel. It was hit or miss as expected, but this led to several weeks of swinging and trying to ingrain that same motion/timing/sequencing feel. I hit no balls and did not worry about where the face was aiming. I was just swinging and trying to get that motion and feel embedded in my mind. this lasted about 4 months in which I spent a couple of hours every day in the garage swinging. I also made a few trips to my local sim during this time, to see if things were actually as good as they felt and found that I was generating a good bit more CHS than before. I started working on getting my setup to match the new swing and what I had learned. There was a bit of a grip change and posture change, but they were needed before and I just didn't know it. I also started doing some yoga to strengthen my core and get a bit more flexibility as I felt my tight joints and muscles were holding me back a bit. I now found that I could swing for longer periods of time without getting nearly as tired because my body was stronger and wasn't fighting itself. Everything was working together. Lame I know, but that's what happened. When Spring arrived, I hit the range with a vengeance to see the results. Strikes were more solid as I wasn't trying so dang hard any more. Distances became more consistent because I was swinging with more consistency. Dispersion became tighter because I was swinging with more control. My hcp dropped about 10 strokes within a few months of playing.

Another thing I discovered is that my partial shots became a LOT more consistent with the same swing motion. My wedge distances have become MUCH more consistent and scoring has gotten a lot better. I simply shorten my backswing and use the same swing to get my distances. It has worked wonders. Sorry I don't have more specific info, but odds are you aren't suffering from the same issues I was anyway. All I can say is there is a proper motion for everyone and when you get it down, the swing feels like your not even trying.

BT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll take a look at speed sticks. 

My friends say I play boring, hit center regularly, worn out sweet spots, and hit lots of fairways and greens. But between a hand injury and hitting lots of balls in slow motion to get sequencing correct over the last year, I feel like I'm swinging in quicksand. 

8 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I knew that was coming. For the life of me I DO NOT remember what my leaks were, but how I realized them and fixed it is borderline embarrassing. Anyway, here goes.....

I was sitting in my den one winter watching the Ladies play. LPGA players have some of the best mechanics IMHO and their effortless power has always dumbfounded me. Anyway, for some reason I became really focused on their sequence of movements and how they were hitting the ball a lot farther than it looked like their swing should produce. I started taking note of the timing of the hips, shoulders, arms, hands & club movements and how it would feel to make that same motion. It suddenly hit me that I was NOT swinging like that at all and I needed to change ASAP. I grabbed my driver and went to my garage and tried making their motion. After SEVERAL trips out there and back, rewinding the video and then swinging, I finally got it working and I could feel the increased speed coming with less effort. Well, I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening working on that feel. It was hit or miss as expected, but this led to several weeks of swinging and trying to ingrain that same motion/timing/sequencing feel. I hit no balls and did not worry about where the face was aiming. I was just swinging and trying to get that motion and feel embedded in my mind. this lasted about 4 months in which I spent a couple of hours every day in the garage swinging. I also made a few trips to my local sim during this time, to see if things were actually as good as they felt and found that I was generating a good bit more CHS than before. I started working on getting my setup to match the new swing and what I had learned. There was a bit of a grip change and posture change, but they were needed before and I just didn't know it. I also started doing some yoga to strengthen my core and get a bit more flexibility as I felt my tight joints and muscles were holding me back a bit. I now found that I could swing for longer periods of time without getting nearly as tired because my body was stronger and wasn't fighting itself. Everything was working together. Lame I know, but that's what happened. When Spring arrived, I hit the range with a vengeance to see the results. Strikes were more solid as I wasn't trying so dang hard any more. Distances became more consistent because I was swinging with more consistency. Dispersion became tighter because I was swinging with more control. My hcp dropped about 10 strokes within a few months of playing.

Another thing I discovered is that my partial shots became a LOT more consistent with the same swing motion. My wedge distances have become MUCH more consistent and scoring has gotten a lot better. I simply shorten my backswing and use the same swing to get my distances. It has worked wonders. Sorry I don't have more specific info, but odds are you aren't suffering from the same issues I was anyway. All I can say is there is a proper motion for everyone and when you get it down, the swing feels like your not even trying.

BT

I have a nasty habit of swinging like a man too 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Get stronger in the gym.

Proper technique, I always seem to swing fast and easy when I'm in the right positions.

Speed training, being stronger will make this easier since you can hold and move better. 

This is the right answer.  Getting stronger and having better technique are the separators for most of us.  

And for speed training, the best research I’ve read indicates that swinging a normal weight driver as fast as you can is the optimal way with reduced change of injury from too many reps.

If you want to swing faster without screwing up sequencing, try this with some sort of LM or radar.  Hit some drives with your normal swing and check the speed.  Then hit 10 balls swing as fast as you can, without ANY interest in smash factor or ball flight; just swing FAST.  Then go back to your regular swing.  If you’re like most people, the fast swings will be 5-10 mph faster than your first group of “normal” swings, and the second group of normal swings will be 3-5 mph faster than the first group.  3-5 mph may not sound like much, but 3 mph is 10 yards.  If the 2nd group isn’t faster, then you likely have a technique issue that prevents you from making a faster swing.

That speed will NOT immediately carry over to the course; that takes time and effort and reps, just like any other form of improvement.  

• Like 1