T150s w/ Axiom 105 S -- Detailed Impressions

SeaIsland

Great write up thanks for sharing! I was interested in the axiom too but was recently fit into AMT Blacks. I’ve tried MCI and steelfibre in the past but I guess not quite ready to leave steel just yet. 

Ping G430 Max Driver
Callaway Paradym 3HL Fairway

Titleist TSR2 5 Fairway
Titleist U505 4
Titleist T200 5, T150 6, T100 7-GW
Mizuno T22 54D, 60X

Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser

Hey! Chip is who does 95% of my work too. He is great!

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:15 AM, Davethegolfer said:

Do you mind comparing the Axioms to the Modus 105 stiff for me

When you read about them, you'll see that AXIOM’s 3-part parallel shaft design enables 3 profiles. LP (long parallel) for long irons, MP (mid parallel) for mid irons, and SP (short parallel) for short irons. In layman's terms, Axiom's are easier to hit in the longer irons and more stout/less dispersion than the Modus 105 in the shorter irons. The separate parallel sections result in minimal tip trimming, allowing the integration of premium materials further down the shaft, which is why I say that they have a distinguished "high ankle" release point, versus the Modus 105, which is more traditional tip soft (IMHO).

Let me say it another way. The Axioms give you plenty of feedback. They feel very solid through the ball. They are easy to hit. The Modus have been described the same way, but FOR ME, the Axioms do the same stuff I like about Modus better; they are more dynamic across the set and generally speaking, easier too play with.

Both are great shafts, but I think the premium you pay for the Axiom manifests most noticeably in the longer irons (easier to launch, flatter ball flight and a little more spin). I'll bet I beat 30 4 irons today and enjoyed trying to shape and flight the ball differently. I  never would have stood there and hit 30 4 irons with my Modus 105s (or my steel fibers).  Not a chance.

Edited by SeaIsland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, supadupachalupa said:

How did you like the MCI 120s versus the Axioms?

I considered trying the MCI 100s this time around, but an expert whose opinion carries a lot of weight with me (and who happens to sell all-things-Fuji) didn't hesitate when recommending the Axioms over the MCIs. "It's old tech against new tech."

Obviously, what works for me may not work for you. That said, just because VeloCore has been successfully hyped doesn't mean there aren't meaningful advances behind it. Clearly, there are. For me, it seems like they've figured out how to deliver an ultra low torque shaft that doesn't feel like a 2X4 --at all.

• 1 month later...

Just reading this because I just pulled the same trigger. Coming from a set of 2022 T100S in MMT 95S with a T200 4 iron, I just popped on a set of T150s and will build with axiom 105S. I’ve tried pretty much everything you’ve tried and kept coming back to the MMT. I’ve also exclusively played Velocore driver shafts since they came out so I’ve been sold on that tech and functionality for my swing. 
Also, I’m 50 years old and play to about a 9 currently with my approach game being the primary loss of strokes in any given round. Recently I’ve had a few rounds where I hit greater than 80% of the fairways and less than a handful of greens. I recognize that the axioms will not be a miracle cure but I look forward to a little help in the T150 from the T100S heads and some more consistency from the axiom. Reading your review was so encouraging and very relatable , so thank you. I also play midsize grips and prefer a heavier SW. My current MMT 95S build is D3/D4 with midsize Larkin sonar. Will look to match that in the Axiom and it sounds achievable. 

Edited by stoneydukes

On 10/19/2023 at 1:04 AM, stoneydukes said:

Just reading this because I just pulled the same trigger. Coming from a set of 2022 T100S in MMT 95S with a T200 4 iron, I just popped on a set of T150s and will build with axiom 105S. I’ve tried pretty much everything you’ve tried and kept coming back to the MMT. I’ve also exclusively played Velociteach driver shafts since they came out so I’ve been sold on that tech and functionality for my swing. 
Also, I’m 50 years old and play to about a 9 currently with my approach game being the primary loss of strokes in any given round. Recently I’ve had a few rounds where I hit greater than 80% of the fairways and less than a handful of greens. I recognize that the axioms will not be a miracle cure but I look forward to a little help in the T150 from the T100 heads and some more consistency from the axiom. Reading your review was so encouraging and very relatable , so thank you. I also play midsize grips and prefer a heavier SW. My current MMT 95S build is D3/D4 with midsize Larkin sonar. Will look to match that in the Axiom and it sounds achievable. 

Let me know how things work out with your new set. I'm past the honeymoon period (when I wrote my post) and my appreciation for this set hasn't diminished; it's still growing.

• Like 1

I’m in my early 40s and have some joint issues in shoulder elbow and wrist. Steel shafts were making golf not fun anymore and I use Ventus in my woods and love them. So axiom came out and had the velecore so I jumped in blindly to graphite irons. Paired them with srixon zx7ii and have easily saved my game. 

• Like 1

@SeaIsland…. I have played similar set-ups to you in past (MMT 95(S), SF 95 ( & R) as well as Recoil 95’s.  I currently playing set of Apex TCB’s 5-GW.  I am quickly approaching my 66th birthday and I have found this year especially that my biggest weakness is in the long irons and when I hit the T series recently I found them very easy to launch and very forgiving.

I was recently fit into a combo set of T200 (5/6) & T150 (7-GW) but if I recall, there was minimal difference in the 5 & 6 iron with the T150. So I’m sure the struggling with do I go T150 all the way through the set?

Anyway, my question to you is, did you find any difference in Shaft weight moving from the 95g to a 105g in the Axioms? 

Appreciate your input…. thank you.

Seems like we have tried and play and like similar stuff 

I loved the 150s in my fitting at Titleist 

110s steelfibers for me now ..  i am on route to Florida and  brought my blueprints with Fuji Mci 100s in them 

playing in Ponte Vedre at noon 

also have a back up set of s55 w recoil 110’s 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 10/29/2023 at 6:50 AM, JimmyD said:

@SeaIsland…. I have played similar set-ups to you in past (MMT 95(S), SF 95 ( & R) as well as Recoil 95’s.  I currently playing set of Apex TCB’s 5-GW.  I am quickly approaching my 66th birthday and I have found this year especially that my biggest weakness is in the long irons and when I hit the T series recently I found them very easy to launch and very forgiving.

I was recently fit into a combo set of T200 (5/6) & T150 (7-GW) but if I recall, there was minimal difference in the 5 & 6 iron with the T150. So I’m sure the struggling with do I go T150 all the way through the set?

Anyway, my question to you is, did you find any difference in Shaft weight moving from the 95g to a 105g in the Axioms? 

Appreciate your input…. thank you.

The older we get (I'm close to 66), the more pressure we feel to go with lighter shafts. I know I felt it (my peers all seem to be sporting shaft weights that match their age), but I never liked the way their clubs felt, so I could never make myself pull the trigger on anything lighter than 95s. At the same time, I also started to realize that paying attention to swing weight was probably more important. I know I need to feel the club head.

I'm not a truck, but I'm built bigger than most guys, so I suppose I should mention that.

Anyway, I was traveling, had a chance to play, and borrowed a set of Apex Pros w/ C-taper 120s (at that time, my clubs had SF 95s). Those "heavier clubs" felt great to me.  It was that experience, combined with buying T150s that were C9/D0 off the rack (despite coming with PX 6.0s) and not liking how they felt. But I didn't care, because I knew I was getting the Axioms and assumed I could get the "feel problem" fixed. What I learned is that it's not always automatic to get to your preferred SW without some professional tinkering. Obviously, head weight, shaft weight/length and grip size/weight all factor-in. My club builder had to use 4g tip weights to get to D3/D4. When I picked them up they felt great (big difference) and honestly, I haven't thought about shaft weight since. Don't worry about the potential negatives because there aren't any. Look forward to the positives, as there are several.

IMHO, replicate the swing weight that works best for you (pay close attention to it) and the 10 gram shaft difference will be meaningless.

• Like 3

I'm about ready to do my build. FWIW, my T150 heads are almost exactly the same weight as my T100S.

That said, I did my own build with MMT 95S that want to SW heavy to begin with. I didn't have to add much weight at all to get to my preferred D3-D4 with midsize grips (56g)

Edited by stoneydukes

I was trying to explain this to a friend recently...that the Axiom has a feel all to it's own when compared to other graphite iron shafts. 

I agree with everything you've said. These things are in a word: consistent. 

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58
DF3

3 hours ago, stoneydukes said:

I'm about ready to do my build. FWIW, my T150 heads are almost exactly the same weight as my T100S

15 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

Nice write up. Did your club builder weigh the T150 heads? I'm curious why the swing weights were so light off the rack. Just lighter head weights in general compared to other similar irons? 

Good question. I don't recall that he weighed them. I just know that I made a comment about not liking the SW when I handed them over to him. He immediately put them on a measurement device that revealed C9/D0, and we both knew that was wrong for me. When he said he inserted a 4 gram tip weight to get the SW right, the math obviously made sense. Anyway, as to why they were C9/D0 off the rack. I want to say poor QC, but that doesn't really make sense either. The head weights must have been lighter versions... Edwin Watts probably can't specify what they get as their allocation.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...