2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Looking for opinions - Is this poor etiquette and/or stealing?

Just looking for some thoughts from the community here. I recently moved to a new neighborhood that is on a golf course (never lived on one before). A couple holes are only one street over from me. I was thinking about heading over there in the evenings for some practice after everyone is in for the day. The course is public so it isn't as though I am paying for it with HOA fees, etc... 

I haven't done this yet and am hesitant because it feels a bit like stealing. If I were paying a membership fee I probably would have no issues with it, but given it is a public course I just don't know that I would feel ok doing this. Not like I would be playing 18 and I would clean up any divots, ball marks, etc.. but still... 

Just looking for thoughts and opinions especially based on personal experience, and no judgement either way on anyone who weighs in here. Thanks in advance!

When you say "practice" what does that entail? Playing a few holes or just practicing your chipping and putting on one hole?

If it's the latter of the two then I see no issues with it and would do it myself.

If it's playing a few holes well then that's a different story. Especially if you do it 2 - 3 times a week. I would feel uncomfortable with that.

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

1 minute ago, SEP1006 said:

When you say "practice" what does that entail? Playing a few holes or just practicing your chipping and putting on one hole?

If it's the latter of the two then I see no issues with it and would do it myself.

If it's playing a few holes well then that's a different story. Especially if you do it 2 - 3 times a week. I would feel uncomfortable with that.

Probably more the latter, but maybe play a hole once a week or less just to get a full tee to green experience. I think the fact that I am conflicted about it probably tells me all I need to know but again, never lived on a course before so wasn't sure what others thought and/or had experienced. 

Just now, tatertot said:

Not stealing ... Trespassing. It's not your property, and you're not paying to use it. Would you go next door and chip in your neighbour's yard?

Ask the GM if he minds ... If he doesn't care, you're golden.

Good thought. I may stop in and chat with them about it and get their thoughts. Not sure if they have a policy for those living in the neighborhood. 

• Haha 1

I will definitely be giving them some business with their range programs and the occasional 9 or 18 holes. Good call out on talking to them about it though. I will be doing that in the next few days. If they hesitate at all or don't give a resounding approval on it, I will not be doing it. I was already on the fence about it and it does feel "off" to me. 

Would you not "join" the club anyway? I, too, live on a public golf course that offers a yearly membership. When we moved here a year-and-a-half ago, the year was half over and I inquired about a membership for the remainder of the year. They let me join with a monthly rate and then I paid in-full for this year's membership this past January. With that, it's awesome, as I often go out and play 4-5 holes when time doesn't allow for more during an evening or an early afternoon. Being a member keeps me from feeling bad about it at all, as if I ever get approached, either the maintenance guys know me or can easily check that I'm "okay to be out there." Not sure where you live or if weather is in question as it is for me, but I have a buddy locally that was allowed to "join" the club for summer months, as that timeframe allowed him more access/freedom to play with his work schedule and the longer days were conducive to him playing after work. You might check if that is an option at your club or what their thoughts are on that. In my experience, a local muni is probably going to understand what they are and not get too bent out of shape about requiring things that a high-end, expensive club would, and your head pro will probably be more than happy to help accommodate you playing, as long as you're up front with him with what you're wanting to do. Honesty is always the best policy, as it also then makes them aware that you'll be around and helps make you a part of their community a bit more, too. 

4 minutes ago, trentjo said:

Would you not "join" the club anyway? I, too, live on a public golf course that offers a yearly membership. When we moved here a year-and-a-half ago, the year was half over and I inquired about a membership for the remainder of the year. They let me join with a monthly rate and then I paid in-full for this year's membership this past January. With that, it's awesome, as I often go out and play 4-5 holes when time doesn't allow for more during an evening or an early afternoon. Being a member keeps me from feeling bad about it at all, as if I ever get approached, either the maintenance guys know me or can easily check that I'm "okay to be out there." Not sure where you live or if weather is in question as it is for me, but I have a buddy locally that was allowed to "join" the club for summer months, as that timeframe allowed him more access/freedom to play with his work schedule and the longer days were conducive to him playing after work. You might check if that is an option at your club or what their thoughts are on that. In my experience, a local muni is probably going to understand what they are and not get too bent out of shape about requiring things that a high-end, expensive club would, and your head pro will probably be more than happy to help accommodate you playing, as long as you're up front with him with what you're wanting to do. Honesty is always the best policy, as it also then makes them aware that you'll be around and helps make you a part of their community a bit more, too. 

Good idea. I don't know much about the structure and memberships, etc... given this is my first time living in a golf course neighborhood. I looked into their range program but that was it. I don't play a lot of golf so wasn't really thinking about a membership but you are probably right that I should ask about the different options. 

1 hour ago, Putter Addict said:

Just looking for some thoughts from the community here. I recently moved to a new neighborhood that is on a golf course (never lived on one before). A couple holes are only one street over from me. I was thinking about heading over there in the evenings for some practice after everyone is in for the day. The course is public so it isn't as though I am paying for it with HOA fees, etc... 

I haven't done this yet and am hesitant because it feels a bit like stealing. If I were paying a membership fee I probably would have no issues with it, but given it is a public course I just don't know that I would feel ok doing this. Not like I would be playing 18 and I would clean up any divots, ball marks, etc.. but still... 

Just looking for thoughts and opinions especially based on personal experience, and no judgement either way on anyone who weighs in here. Thanks in advance!

The first thing I would say is that a public course would have no problem with you putting / chipping on the designated practice areas after-hours. You might try to make use of those if/when you can. 

I never saw our local (public) course shut down the Pro Shop in the evening and tell the folks on the chipping green, 'hey, you gotta go home.'  Often times, the Pro Shop may close at 7pm and there may still be 1.5-hrs of daylight and folks out there putting on the practice green.

So, I don't think there's any issue with using areas designated for practice (excluding the range because grass is valuable). 

However, going on the course is definitely not "allowed," but it's a question of whether or not you will get kicked off.

I would hesitate to ask because (1) they have no reason to say yes and (2) it's definitely got the potential for some unwanted things. What if you had a heart attack out there? What if you were mugged? What if you somehow damaged the course? They're never going to say, 'yeah, freely venture onto our property when we're closed.' Obviously, the answer is going to be a firm, 'no' if you walk in and ask. 

It's a question of whether or not you'd do it anyway and that's your call. If you want to spend a little while putting or chipping and you are 100% confident you're not damaging anything, I personally see no issue with it, although you're still trespassing no doubt about it. And when you could be doing that on the practice area(s), I think yeah, it at least looks bad that you're doing it on the course. 

Would a private club say anything to a member? Probably not. Perhaps a high-end club would but in this case you're definitely not "supposed" to do what you're proposing. So it's really your decision. It's a bit like speeding. There's a point where it's par for the course and there's a point where it's excessive and indefensible. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

2 minutes ago, Putter Addict said:

Good idea. I don't know much about the structure and memberships, etc... given this is my first time living in a golf course neighborhood. I looked into their range program but that was it. I don't play a lot of golf so wasn't really thinking about a membership but you are probably right that I should ask about the different options. 

Yeah, just get in front of them and make yourself known. The more they see you around and the more comfortable they are with you, the less things will "be an issue" for whatever you decide you want to do. For instance, paying for golf itself is not issue whatsoever, but I have had a few instances with my father-in-law coming over to play a round with me and I've booked the tee time. Since I'm a member and have my own cart, when the head pro is in the clubhouse and we go to "check in," him knowing that it's my father-in-law playing with me and him also knowing how much I'm out there becomes a "you're good to go, have fun!" situation where we don't pay for the round my father-in-law would have had to do. Again, not necessary, definitely not expected, but it's nice every once in a while that he knows we're there, we have a great relationship, and he knows that we take great care of the course while we're out there, too. Getting to know the guys in the pro shop and the clubhouse will be one of your greatest allies in all of this.

• Like 1

I know of one person who has an arrangement at our club where he pays the social membership and can use the practice facilities. We have some members who live on the boundary of the course, they are not allowed to have a gate opening onto the course. It is worth asking and getting some sort of agreement in place and paying something towards it will avoid a lot of awkward situations and conversations.  

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Go talk to the GM.  It may not be an issue as long as you're doing some chipping and some putting.....not hitting flop shots, bunker play, or a bucket of wedges from 100 yards.  😄

My guess:  the GM will be very happy you came to ask, and something amicable will get worked out.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I've gone onto golf courses to practice putting and chipping for decades. My rules.

- Stay out of view of the clubhouse

-Walk along the edges. Not in the fairway. 

-Go when/where no one is playing. i.e. Back nine before sundown. 

-Carry only one club. 

-Practice with 3-4 balls only. 

-It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I've only been asked to leave twice. 

-

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

Our local course strongly forbids "practicing" on the course even for paid patrons and members.  I can't imagine any course allowing it for non-paid trespassers.  Practicing on one hole, even for chipping and putting, for an extended period definitely wears out the green.  

Don't look like a fool by calling/asking.  Just sneak in, get your itch out, and get out.  If you get caught, get ready for some great excuse.   

Edited by mrshinsa

Im a member at a cheap public course and they basically dont care after they leave for the night (fall or summer). Last year I was gonna pre pay for a buddy to come out and they didn't want it. I can't speak to your course, but mine is more than okay with.  A lot of times its members and HS kids and it all works out. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

Pay for a membership, simple as that. Then work with the GM and let them know your intentions. Otherwise you can be criminally trespassed off the course. And if it's okay for you, then it's okay for everyone. Causing excess wear and tear on the course that paying members are stuck footing the bill. 

• Like 1

Did this in Jr. HS all the time. Got caught and banished but finally found a way to pay for a Jr. Membership and problem solved. 

As an adult, find a place to practice safely and without angst about "being caught" as I'm sure you can afford to pay for it. Do the ethical thing. Using a facility or grounds that you knowingly aren't supposed to be on is not the best example for younger folks either. Sorry just the grouchy old guy perspective.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

For us to live any other way was nuts. Uh, to us, those goody-good people who worked crappy jobs for bum paychecks and took the subway to work every day, and worried about their bills, were dead. I mean, they were suckers. They had no balls. If we wanted something, we just took it. If anyone complained twice they got hit so bad, believe me, they never complained again

Henry Hill

"I think you can learn from history."

- Chuck Norris 

6 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

My neighbor has a nice swimming pool. I usually hop over fence and use it at night.

I know, but can you at least wear a swimsuit. No one wants to see that.

• Haha 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11