2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Should your club championship be played from the tips?

RCGA

1 hour ago, Forged4ever said:

Sounds like a great track to have those options available. We have some sh**s 'n giggles Tourneys where We'll switch up the tees/Par and rotate the tees, depending on cap, and they are a lot of fun. Then we have our July 4th event, referred as the "RWB" event, ie., "red white & blue" event, where by were Play 6 holes from the reds, 6 from the whites along with 6 from the blues. The blacks sit dormant that day.

Have a Great Week Brotha👊

RP

I was more impressed he considered 360 “driveable”.🍻

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

41 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I was more impressed he considered 360 “driveable”.🍻

Bro, I haven't reread my post though if I typed "360," thats definitely a typo as the longest that it's Played is 308yds. Maybe I meant to type "260," as about half the time during the season, it's at 255-265, with 258yds bein an often selected yardage. 

Apologies if I typed "360," lol

Stay Well👊

Richard 

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Should the overall club championship be played from the tips, yes it should.

Should there be additional flights for less accomplished golfers to still do the full out "play by the rules and hole everything out", yes as well.

• Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

33 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Bro, I haven't reread my post though if I typed "360," thats definitely a typo as the longest that it's Played is 308yds. Maybe I meant to type "260," as about half the time during the season, it's at 255-265, with 258yds bein an often selected yardage. 

Apologies if I typed "360," lol

Stay Well👊

Richard 

No, not your post…the one you replied to from Santiago.

He said a 360 was driveable…said nothing about downhill.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

No, not your post…the one you replied to from Santiago.

He said a 360 was driveable…said nothing about downhill.

its maybe 5 feet downhill, its driveable though at 360s ...

Idk maybe I'm wrong ...

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Just now, Santiago Golf said:

its maybe 5 feet downhill, its driveable though at 360s ...

Idk maybe I'm wrong ...

Impressive. Elevation? We have a flat 365 yard hole and some local mini tour kid aced it so it can happen.

Still impressive.

• Like 1

Just now, Shilgy said:

Impressive. Elevation? We have a flat 365 yard hole and some local mini tour kid aced it so it can happen.

Still impressive.

no elevation, just a fast firm course, fine fescue grass. I have driven it from the tips when they are at 340 and I only carry it like 260 to 270 yards. 

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

My first answer was yes, the course should be played from the tips, but I don’t think it’s that simple. After some reflection my answer is it depends. 

My course does it as follows.

3 days of stroke play towards the end of summer. 1 round each day. To be crowned club champ you must play from the gold tees. They are 7150 on the card but get moved around on a hole or two during the event. The tips are 7500+ but are never out and are only used 1 day a year and occasionally for college and professional events. So no, my course does not play club champ from the tips.

They also have a blue tee division 6600ish which are the regular member tees and a white tee 6000ish division. If you win the blue or white division you are not the club champ. Everyone can decide where they want to play from. Blue and white tee have prizes awarded for net and gross. Gold tee is all gross. 

There is also a stand alone senior club champ which is 2 days and contested from the blue tees. Must be 50+ to qualify. Several times a member has won the senior and regular club champ in the same year. 

On 10/22/2023 at 3:38 PM, Shilgy said:

Still impressive.

Yah, very impressive and very doable by a select few, lol. Our #13 Plays 354yds from the blacks and 358 from the BoBs. It takes a drive that can get 330-340 air time, then a good 15-25yds of roll. My younger Bro and former BB Partner were 2 of the 5 guys that ever drove it in a Tourney or Money Game. 

That said, JD landed a drive on the fringe, the ball mark was about half a putter length in front of the green. He rolled up to about 6' and lipped the putt, lol. Ho-hum bird, lol.

I was never remotely in that class of length though I did win a Cobra🐍 Long Tom Driver(pictured below) on a Long Drive hole w/a drive of 288yds, when in actuality I had the fifth(5) longest drive on the hole as my former BB Partner took it 326yds, my Bro hit it 317yds, just off the FW as his feet were 2-3' into the FW when he addressed the ball, Sean Knapp rocked it 304yds and some guy hit it 293yds, though they were all in the first cut, just off the fairway😂😂😂. I felt bad goin up to collect the driver at the dinner, but WTF, the rules was the rules and ya had to be in the short hair, lolz🤷🏻‍♂️

Hell, I'm 0/14 in drivin a PAR THREE(3) when the tees are at 300yds+(300-308yds) on Oakmont's #8, though I did manage to make 10 Pars in those 14 attempts, lol. 

To the Long Ballers🍻

RP

E963E12A-B250-4978-86A3-AE0525CF4BD4.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

34 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Yah, yah, very impressive and very doable by a select few, lol. Our #13 Plays 354yds from the blacks and 358 from the BoBs. It takes a drive that can get 330-340 air time, then a good 15-25yds of roll. My younger Bro and former BB Partner were 2 of the 5 guys that ever drove it in a Tourney or Money Game. 

That said, JD landed a drive on the fringe, the ball mark was about half a putter length in front of the green. He rolled up to about 6' and lipped the putt, lol. Ho-hum bird, lol.

I was never remotely in that class of length though I did win a Cobra🐍 Long Tom Driver(pictured below) on a Long Drive hole w/a drive of 288yds, when in actuality I had the fifth(5) longest drive on the hole as my former BB Partner took it 326yds, my Bro hit it 317yds, just off the FW as his feet were 2-3' into the FW when he addressed the ball, Sean Knapp rocked it 304yds and some guy hit it 293yds, though they were all in the first cut, just off the fairway😂😂😂. I felt bad goin up to collect the driver at the dinner, but WTF, the rules was the rules and ya had to be in the short hair, lolz🤷🏻‍♂️

Hell, I'm 0/14 in drivin a PAR THREE(3) when the tees are at 300yds+(300-308yds) on Oakmont's #8, though I did manage to make 10 Pars in those 14 attempts, lol. 

To the Long Ballers🍻

RP

E963E12A-B250-4978-86A3-AE0525CF4BD4.jpeg

Always made zero sense to me for long drive prize to be a driver- if hit current one well enough to win, why would you need/want another?🤦‍♂️ Seems like a wedge or putter of player’s choosing would be better? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Actually on the Par-3 8th, for the average WRxer, the distance, regardless of where ya planted the peg, would be the least of your potential issues, lolz🤣

Oh, and a lil FYI as following the making of this particular vid by the USGA, the ole guard at Oakmont got all a dither as they pride themselves on orally vomiting 🤮 that the left side trap is a shade over 100yds long, NOT 80yds, as was mentioned in this vid, lol(it is 100yds+ as I was actually present when one of them insisted on measuring it in the presence of someone other than an Oakmont member😂😂). 

Right hand to God😂🤣

While it is true that the green has less undulations than most on the track, it is also a postage stamp sized green, thus, when the stimp is 13+, you'd better have the hands of a transplant surgeon, lol.

Regarding the top pic from the BoB, the other thing is that whenever I've Played with a Plus Am/Pro  on their first time around the track, the most chirped comment is how intimidating the view is from the box, as most are used to looking down the FW on a long Par 3 and seein a pin at 225, 250 and maybe even 275yds, lolz(never Played with anyone above a 12-13, though the high cappers are allowed to tee it up after 7:00pm on Sunday & Friday evenings. Relax, I'm just messin with ya on the hours, as they can play Monday with the caddies😂😂😂). To see a pin that they can barely see and being unable to process a mental image/visualization of a previous successful tee shot from that distance on a Par 3, they're gonna have to switch mental gears on the fly, on the Box, under the gun and visualize a previously successfully hit driver on a Par 4 that they've driven. If it's a Pro that I like or an Am that I'm not in a money match with, I'll tell em prior to hitting #8 box to just visualize a Par 4 that they've successfully driven. I cannot tell you how many guys(and Lexi, lolol), thanked me afterward. For those of you that are Plusses or Pros, you get it🤙 For any that don't "get it," forget it😊....

Have a Great Week My Friends👊

RP

E189382A-8490-43DA-BDEA-999C24AF6277.jpeg

22E94C6C-D85A-4934-BB6C-4D6D6B5775AC.jpeg

471F1353-3CE3-4E5C-A98C-AF8FE86FD8DC.jpeg

0B2EFF4E-AB55-43DE-AAEA-104F5BA52E38.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever

2 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Always made zero sense to me for long drive prize to be a driver- if hit current one well enough to win, why would you need/want another?🤦‍♂️ Seems like a wedge or putter of player’s choosing would be better? 🤷‍♂️

I agree 💯and actually said that in the meeting where we were deciding on the prizes, and the ironic thing was my best Bud Dave chirped, "What do you care Jake, you ain't gonna win it," lolol. After the laughter settled from his moronic infantile statement🤪, I pointed out what should have been obvious to any of the dipsh**s present with a golf IQ over 💯....

WhyITF would the Long Drive Winner, whomever they might be, switch from a driver that in all likelihood allowed them to pound 300yd+ drives all day(The previous two Winners, my Bro & BB Partner, won with drives over 300yds), to a driver that  one, they had never hit before, secondly, was a standard OTS "S" flex(My Bro at the time Played a 102gr Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue Board, hard stepped 1x) and finally was freakishly long at FOURTY EIGHT FRIGGIN INCHES(48")⁉️⁉️

I will say that that pear head is still one of the 1-2 most beautiful driver heads that I owned(I've got over 40🤪), even up to today. I was always thinking about reshafting it though the health problems hit and it fell down the list of "to do's," lol.  

I hope all's well Bro & the Girls say Hey👊

My Best,

Richard 

Edited by Forged4ever

All our club champs matches are Matchplay. 

Graded by HC, senior grade was cutoff at 3.

Senior B 4-9

intermediate 10-15

intermediate 16-21 etc etc.

All of the stick.

Senior grade was the only ones who played off the back tees, everyone else moves up according to their grades.

18 holes qualifying in grades then 18-holes Matchplay until the final which is over 36 holes.

Edited by kiwigolf72
mistake

12 hours ago, kiwigolf72 said:

Senior B 4-9

intermediate 10-15

All of the stick.

Senior grade was the only ones who played off the back tees, everyone else moves up according to their grades.

18 holes qualifying in grades then 18-holes Matchplay until the final which is over 36 holes.

Do you find this leads to people manipulating their handicaps more than normal in attempt to get into a certain group? 

In my opinion, the only requirement for the club championship tees is that they be eligible for a legitimate course record.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

25 minutes ago, bazinky said:

In my opinion, the only requirement for the club championship tees is that they be eligible for a legitimate course record.

Good way of putting it!👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kiwigolf72 said:

Senior B 4-9

intermediate 10-15

All of the stick.

Club Champion = Best player in club

So what on earth are handicaps about in that context?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bazinky said:

Not sure what you mean by “Legitimate” course record.  
we have several course records, Blue (back) tees, 62, White tees, 60, Red tees ( once a year men’s tourney) 62.  

2 hours ago, Newby said:

Club Champion = Best player in club

So what on earth are handicaps about in that context?

no use a + HC playing a 20 HC

off course the best player in the club is going to be the senior club champion, but by having grades then the lesser skilled players have something to play for.

Edited by kiwigolf72

5 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Do you find this leads to people manipulating their handicaps more than normal in attempt to get into a certain group? 

We don't seem to have the same manipulation of HCs here in NZ as it appears others do; I have read on WRX about sandbagging and IMO the idea of casual rounds ? probably contributes to this. The majority of players at my club hand a card in after every round, except if they are a single of course.

Edited by kiwigolf72
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Newby said:

Champion is singular.

And who's suggesting that it's not? At many clubs here only a handful of + players have a shot and they get their group in which to compete. However, there may be dozens and dozens and dozens more who want to play for something on that fine summer weekend, thus there are "flights". Who's going to close off the course so that a few young bombers can have it to themselves?

• Thanks 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

4 hours ago, st1800e said:

Not sure what you mean by “Legitimate” course record.  
we have several course records, Blue (back) tees, 62, White tees, 60, Red tees ( once a year men’s tourney) 62.  

You’re really not sure? Would you say your courses record is 60 then?

• Confused 1

On 10/19/2023 at 10:20 AM, RCGA said:

Course is 6800y from the tips around 6300y from the "one up" tees. 

Most members play it at 6300y in their day-to-day play. The course is very windy, lots of hazards, forced carries off the tee and long par 5s (575y par 5 into a 30mph wind isn't fun). 

There is a growing divide amongst members that the club championship (A division, at least) should be played from the tips. The notion that it's the club championship and you should be utilizing the course to its maximum. Skins and prize money are already divided by division. 

There is a counter argument is that the person who wins will likely win it regardless of the tees used. And because of the added distance, pace of play may be an issue (usually an argument amongst shorter hitters, however). 

Where do you stand? What does your club do? 

Yes I think they should always be the tips personally. We started doing the mixed with the 1 up then the 1 up to try to get more people to play. Currently we are still doing the 1 up which is where most members play from. We don't have a lot of plus handicaps at the club. The best player seems to always win but some have had better 1 day rounds just because of the forward tees but the winner has always been the best player. Can't say that it has helped get much more participation. Our course is short and some have started to suggest going back to the tips myself included.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

1 hour ago, Newby said:

Champion is singular.

It also means "won the club championship ".  However the course may have been set up. 

The poster whose club plays it at 71xx rather than 7500 has it right in my opinion.  At 7500 your merely pre-eliminating competitors for the few Uber bombers at the club.  

On 10/19/2023 at 11:20 AM, RCGA said:

Course is 6800y from the tips around 6300y from the "one up" tees. 

Most members play it at 6300y in their day-to-day play. The course is very windy, lots of hazards, forced carries off the tee and long par 5s (575y par 5 into a 30mph wind isn't fun). 

There is a growing divide amongst members that the club championship (A division, at least) should be played from the tips. The notion that it's the club championship and you should be utilizing the course to its maximum. Skins and prize money are already divided by division. 

There is a counter argument is that the person who wins will likely win it regardless of the tees used. And because of the added distance, pace of play may be an issue (usually an argument amongst shorter hitters, however). 

Where do you stand? What does your club do? 

Yes.

11 hours ago, sui generis said:

And who's suggesting that it's not? At many clubs here only a handful of + players have a shot and they get their group in which to compete. However, there may be dozens and dozens and dozens more who want to play for something on that fine summer weekend, thus there are "flights". Who's going to close off the course so that a few young bombers can have it to themselves?

No problem with that but they are not playing for the title of Club Champion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newby said:

No problem with that but they are not playing for the title of Club Champion. 

Is it then allowed to have a Mens Club Champion and a Ladies Club Champion? Or the horror of a Senior Mens Club Champion or an Under 18s Girls Club Champion? It never ends and the universe implodes! 😉

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.