2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Should your club championship be played from the tips?

RCGA

Course is 6800y from the tips around 6300y from the "one up" tees. 

Most members play it at 6300y in their day-to-day play. The course is very windy, lots of hazards, forced carries off the tee and long par 5s (575y par 5 into a 30mph wind isn't fun). 

There is a growing divide amongst members that the club championship (A division, at least) should be played from the tips. The notion that it's the club championship and you should be utilizing the course to its maximum. Skins and prize money are already divided by division. 

There is a counter argument is that the person who wins will likely win it regardless of the tees used. And because of the added distance, pace of play may be an issue (usually an argument amongst shorter hitters, however). 

Where do you stand? What does your club do? 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Our course is 7000(black) from the back and 6500(blue) from one up.

This year we had 30 or so guys start on Friday all from the back.

The second day they cut the field in half, by score, and play 15 on black and 15 on blues.

So you have a three day deal for championship and presidents.

If you don't want to play the blacks the first day you sign up for 2 days from the blues for 1st flight winner.

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

Play somewhere in between the tips and one up.  The majority should have a chance to win and I doubt the majority play from tips regularly.

Imo, playing from the tips will reduce participation and enjoyment.

Our club has another event called the "Ironperson" where play is from the tips to difficult hole locations.  It's more of a slog than the club championships.

• Like 2

Might not be totally relevant, but our Club Championship is a match play event. We do 18 holes of qualifying (from the member tees) and then divide into flights of 8 players (Championship flight has 16) for the event.

Championship flight plays from the tips and the winner is deemed the Club Champion. Every other flight plays from the member tees and there are credit payouts for 1st and 2nd in each flight.

• Like 2

Our Open Division plays a mix of Black/Blue, probably trending towards Black. I think that's the right call.

The other divisions play different tees.

Edited by jvincent

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 hours ago, RCGA said:

Most members play it at 6300y in their day-to-day play. The course is very windy, lots of hazards, forced carries off the tee and long par 5s (575y par 5 into a 30mph wind isn't fun). 

There is a growing divide amongst members that the club championship (A division, at least) should be played from the tips. The notion that it's the club championship and you should be utilizing the course to its maximum. Skins and prize money are already divided by division. 

There is a counter argument is that the person who wins will likely win it regardless of the tees used. And because of the added distance, pace of play may be an issue (usually an argument amongst shorter hitters, however). 

Play from the tees based on handicap and flight.

any handicap 10 under (0-5>champ flight/5-9>first flight)

10-20 next tee (so on…)

20+ third tee 

Edited by Brooks_Cupcake

3 hours ago, rogolf said:

Play somewhere in between the tips and one up.  The majority should have a chance to win and I doubt the majority play from tips regularly.

Imo, playing from the tips will reduce participation and enjoyment.

Our club has another event called the "Ironperson" where play is from the tips to difficult hole locations.  It's more of a slog than the club championships.

Ahem…“Ironman.”

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Club Championship should 100% be played from the back tees and has no handicap.  I can see a version of a championship that is match vs. stroke play, but handicaps are NEVER included, and should ALWAYS be from the back tees.  Most sandbaggers won't play, because they know they are sandbaggers and can't compete, those that do have that 84 posted on the scoreboard, followed by the inevitable letters "WD".

Pace of play is not an issue.  This is a once-a-year event.  Everyone can deal with a longer round.

Anyone who thinks THE club champion can be a 12 index who had a good week should be flogged.  

Me likey.  

Let's put it in the rules alongside sandbaggers have to choose between guillotine or castration tees.  

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Me likey.  

Let's put it in the rules alongside sandbaggers have to choose between guillotine or castration tees.  

I like public humiliation.

The "real" golfers can judge the vanity handicaps AND the sandbaggers.  

Note, will never enter the real club championship.  I play but loudly say I am playing in flight 2 of the gold net division.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RCGA said:

Most modern-era golf courses have multiple sets of tee boxes. Use tee boxes to match to different groups of ability.

I play out of Stonewolf GC  in Fairview Heights, IL. After several seasons of refurbishing - cutting down volunteer trees so you can see the fairway, rebuilding and removing bunkers, etc. - we have emerged with a stable group of tee-box offerings. The combinations work out nicely for the Club Championship.

image.png.433ff2e0a27607ccb143ab8fadbf531b.png

For the Club Championship, we play different tee boxes according to age. We have four age divisions each for Men's Gross and Scratch, and Women's Gross and Scratch.

image.png.8f93b39f896c1ff2367675450bb6f67e.png

It seems that Club Championships have two main flavors to them.

• Ours is a one-day, fun, celebration of the season with plenty of braggin' rights to go around.
  • RCGA's seems to be more formal, possibly with the need for a Championship / A-flight splitout from start. RCGA's club seems to have a chippier attitude toward the championship.

And, there's the attitude of sportsmanship vs. combativeness. At club championships and the July city championship down in Oklahoma where I lived, the Championship Flight players could be rather snippy toward us lesser humans in the other flights for cluttering up their tournament.

And remember, the Pros have different lengths according to category of players:

• US Open (men's): Los Angeles CC | Par 70 |  7423 Yards
  • Champion's Tour: US Senior Open (men's): Sentry World Golf Center | Par 72 | 7320 Yards
  • LPGA US Women's Open: Pebble Beach Golf Links | Par 71 | 6546 Yards

Edited by ChipNRun
Remove double-strike image

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

The Championship Flight, or whatever you want to call it, needs to be from the tips or your course should just do away with that tee box.

Our course does have the same problem with the same guy has won it the last few years running and probably 6 of the last 9. I came second this year and was 12 shots back( was +7 for the three rounds). But our CC also serves as a qualifier to get on the club team for the upcoming interclub match with a neighboring course, ryder cup style tournament(4 rounds over 2 days).

33 minutes ago, rogolf said:

I do notice that most PGA Tournaments, and including the majors, don't play from the "tips" on every hole on every day.

Yep they do move them around, Its a tradition on one hole of our course to move the tees on a certain hole up to the ladies tee box for at least one of the three rounds. Plus the other tees give moved around too but most holes are played from the tips or the member tees. The next flight play from the normal mens tees.

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

9 hours ago, RCGA said:

My CC used to be played from the tips: 7250 yards.  The vast majority of players complained, and the pro said the CC should be played from the tips... Note the next tees are 6600.

Until they held the Michigan PGA here, which the pro played in, and I pointed out the PROFESSIONALS are playing 6800-6900 yards. They changed it the following year. Played a couple of holes from the back but generally it was 6700 or so yards.

• Like 1

The notion that playing from the "tips" is the only true test and so forth is nothing more than arbitrary and means little.  

Get the course in good shape, challenge players with some pins, maybe change up some length a little (longer and shorter) and let the members play a course that resembles what they play 90% of the time, IMO.  

Just making the course longer for an event for the sake of making it longer just makes it more likely you are skewing the results.

• Like 2

I don't think there's one universal answer.  I'm pretty sure the Pinehurst Club Championship isn't played from the US Open tees at 7800 yards, or whatever they are, nor should it be.  But at my home club, where the back tees are around 6800 yards, its perfectly appropriate to use those for the Championship flight.  Generally speaking, better players tend to be longer hitters, so if you're trying to identify the best player, significant length should be a big part of the challenge.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Most modern-era golf courses have multiple sets of tee boxes. Use tee boxes to match to different groups of ability.

I play out of Stonewolf GC  in Fairview Heights, IL. After several seasons of refurbishing - cutting down volunteer trees so you can see the fairway, rebuilding and removing bunkers, etc. - we have emerged with a stable group of tee-box offerings. The combinations work out nicely for the Club Championship.

image.png.433ff2e0a27607ccb143ab8fadbf531b.png

For the Club Championship, we play different tee boxes according to age. We have four age divisions each for Men's Gross and Scratch, and Women's Gross and Scratch.

image.png.8f93b39f896c1ff2367675450bb6f67e.png

• Ours is a one-day, fun, celebration of the season with plenty of braggin' rights to go around.
  • RCGA's seems to be more formal, possibly with the need for a Championship / A-flight splitout from start. RCGA's club seems to have a chippier attitude toward the championship.

And, there's the attitude of sportsmanship vs. combativeness. At club championships and the July city championship down in Oklahoma where I lived, the Championship Flight players could be rather snippy toward us lesser humans in the other flights for cluttering up their tournament.

And remember, the Pros have different lengths according to category of players:

• US Open (men's): Los Angeles CC | Par 70 |  7423 Yards
  • Champion's Tour: US Senior Open (men's): Sentry World Golf Center | Par 72 | 7320 Yards
  • LPGA US Women's Open: Pebble Beach Golf Links | Par 71 | 6546 Yards

Hmm, my first thought is “that’s awful”.  Is playing a tougher flight allowable? I know a lot of guys that would b***h about playing from under 6100 yards. And plenty of 70+ not wanting to play from 5500.

Why not by handicap?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 10/19/2023 at 11:20 AM, RCGA said:

Where do you stand?

Each course is different, to be sure. Imagine a layout with a par 4 that, if the tee were moved up a bit it would become a driveable par 4. Surely for some part of the competion that set up vs "the tips" would be appropriate if the goal of the competion is to identify the best player in the club that weekend.

• Like 2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Seems like most answers are for private country clubs.

It should be noted there are a fair number of clubs at public golf courses.

And they may not play at all from the tips.

So, to cover that circumstance I would say the CC should be played from the furthest tee set the club normally plays from.

No handicap. Best player during the tourney wins.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

11 hours ago, Shilgy said:

11 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Hmm, my first thought is “that’s awful”.  Is playing a tougher flight allowable? I know a lot of guys that would b***h about playing from under 6100 yards. And plenty of 70+ not wanting to play from 5500.

Why not by handicap?

We do have HDCP at play. Each age group, male and female, has both a Gross and Net champion.

Hmm, my first thought is "that's awful."

Again, we have a one-day affair. It's more fun than hard-nose competitive.

And, the majority of the people who show up are age 60 or over.

We have a lot of single-digit HDCPs at our club. They more often than not focus on the District Amateur / USGA events, or the US Am Tour or the Golfweek Amateur Tour.

Also, we are a semi-private club. In our area, the semis have rather modest club championships. Some of the private-equity clubs (most on the St. Louis side), will have both a medal play championship, and a match-play championship.

Clubs that have the match play usually schedule them over two weeks in late summer: You get your draw, and then you and your bracket opponent have three days or so to play your bracket-elim matches. Then, the different bracket semi-finals and championships take place on a designated Sat-Sun weekend.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

15 hours ago, davep043 said:

But at my home club, where the back tees are around 6800 yards, its perfectly appropriate to use those for the Championship flight.  Generally speaking, better players tend to be longer hitters, so if you're trying to identify the best player, significant length should be a big part of the challenge.  

I agree with this at club level. Furthermore, this is the championship that crowns the best player of a club for a year, so it is meant for the best players, not for the most frequent players, or the sandbaggers or the retired guys that spend their life and bucks at the club. Once a year the best must thoroughly be put to the test. At any given course there will be between a handful to a dozen best golfers. For the rest of the members there’s always the good old handicap and age flights. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, davep043 said:

I don't think there's one universal answer.  I'm pretty sure the Pinehurst Club Championship isn't played from the US Open tees at 7800 yards, or whatever they are, nor should it be.  But at my home club, where the back tees are around 6800 yards, its perfectly appropriate to use those for the Championship flight.  Generally speaking, better players tend to be longer hitters, so if you're trying to identify the best player, significant length should be a big part of the challenge.  

I couldn't have said it any better Dave. And Seniors can have their own division from a shorter yardage, or better yet, their own event.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.