2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Padraig Harrington’s golf tips?

jonsnow

Like any seasoned player, they have things they have worked on for success that not all players need to hear. Most ams at his age can't start trying to generate 180mph ball speed on the driver. Generally, I like Paddy's tips.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

47 minutes ago, slytown said:

Like any seasoned player, they have things they have worked on for success that not all players need to hear. Most ams at his age can't start trying to generate 180mph ball speed on the driver. Generally, I like Paddy's tips.

Yes, but his ideas will help any golfer approach their ceiling 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 hours ago, jonsnow said:

Never heard anybody talk about the left hip "turning into" the right hip & pinching the way he does.

yeah that was interesting. He talked about the right thigh feeling like it's turning ccw in the back swing and the left thigh turning cw in the down swing. I have heard about feeling the right foot turn cw in the back swing and the left foot turn ccw in the down swing. I suppose this is the same effect?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KD1 said:

yeah that was interesting. He talked about the right thigh feeling like it's turning ccw in the back swing and the left thigh turning cw in the down swing. I have heard about feeling the right foot turn cw in the back swing and the left foot turn ccw in the down swing. I suppose this is the same effect?

Not sure, but I remember hearing the term, "Hit into a firm left (lead) side" when I was a teenager back when God was still making dirt. I'm thinking this may be what that meant, feeling some resistance as you move through impact?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Paddy's stuff is effin great. Everything he talks about - beautifully frantically - can apply to any player. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

I’ve had problems with swinging only with my arms using no hip turn all my life. 

I’ve had lessons from 4 pga pros, including a retired touring pro.  I’ve told all of them about my weak hip turn, yet they all concentrate on something else

”Your P4 and P8 position are all wrong…”

It seems to me that most pga pros intuitively understand the role of the hips in their swing. So much so, that they can’t relate to someone only swinging with their arms. 

I’d ask you teaching pros reading this thread to look out for us arm swingers, and to remember Padraig’s video. Pls incorporate this into your teaching. You’ll help a lot of people

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lobby said:

It seems to me that most pga pros intuitively understand the role of the hips in their swing. So much so, that they can’t relate to someone only swinging with their arms. 

I’d ask you teaching pros reading this thread to look out for us arm swingers, and to remember Padraig’s video. Pls incorporate this into your teaching. You’ll help a lot of people

I can't speak to your experiences, but the way the hips work is probably second on the list of the things I do, and really it's 1b, because 1a is "arms = up/down, body = around" and a big part of that "body = around" part involves the hips.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

EVERY time I go to any driving range there is at least one poor soul swinging with his arms only. With his / her hips locked. 

You’d think that as common as this fault is the golf instruction community would know how to address this. 

I maintain they don’t. The instructors are all good golfers who intuitively understand how to use their lower body. They can’t conceive of someone who doesn’t know how to, thus they have no knowledge of how to fix this

The arm swinger has a mental block. Consider a control freak who wants to make absolutely sure he places the club behind the ball. That obviously means to stop all body rotation. And here we go…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I can't speak to your experiences, but the way the hips work is probably second on the list of the things I do, and really it's 1b, because 1a is "arms = up/down, body = around" and a big part of that "body = around" part involves the hips.

Sounds like ASI, it's easy to comprehend on the backswing. But, the forward swing gets a bit confusing to apply the same concepts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lobby said:

You’d think that as common as this fault is the golf instruction community would know how to address this. 

I maintain they don’t. The instructors are all good golfers who intuitively understand how to use their lower body. They can’t conceive of someone who doesn’t know how to, thus they have no knowledge of how to fix this

With all due respect (since you're kind of insulting "instructors" and "PGA pros" here), you've likely not had the breadth of experience to make statements like this. I just told you it's 1b in what I teach people, and I'm not on an island here with like five other instructors. You've had lessons with four people (or maybe more, but I'm just going by what you wrote).

3 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

Sounds like ASI, it's easy to comprehend on the backswing. But, the forward swing gets a bit confusing to apply the same concepts.

Yeah, it's kinda like it. I've been teaching it since before I was aware of ASI (ASI itself isn't "new" of course [and I don't just mean because Jim came up with it a long time ago], but it is well done and clear), and I think it can apply pretty darn well to the downswing, too.

Then again, I'm not a big fan of the heavy right-side-bend, don't-widen-the-right elbow type swings.

Edited by iacas
  • Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

On 11/6/2023 at 2:44 PM, slytown said:

As true as that is, fundamentals are the same for all of us.  What's different from person to person is our conditioning.  There are guys out there like me, older, yet still physically strong and able to generate power.  I know I am not alone when saying his candid thoughts are refreshing.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

3 hours ago, shortpockets said:

In my mind his best video and first to watch as a solid description for motion sending energy toward the ground, natural under arm with unequal sides working against, and with, each other to do so.   Pretty simple explanation.  

Certainly could be a better order to watch these. I have not watched all his videos either.  So definitely could be some gems that I missed.  

I mostly ordered the videos in the way I interpreted Padraig's instructions.  In one of the videos he says you need to learn how the arms / shoulders and wrists work first. He also mentions that if the grip is not fundamentally correct, it could make other parts of the swing not give the desired results. This is also the order I got things to work together.  E.G. getting my shoulders working correctly made getting my hips moving correctly way easier.  Also better shoulder movement got my wrist movement better and easier.  

So 100% my opinion.  Just wanted to share as I've had success with his videos.  

• Like 1

It absolutely fascinating to me, that there is a thread on a major golf forum, about a guy that 3 or so years ago was lost in a sea of supposed to be correct golf mechanics and supposed to be world class teachers, playing like crud almost all the time, who now is perhaps the #1 most respected tour player when it comes to talking about the swing, and not one single person mentioned Michael Jacobs, who btw, is the #1 reason Paddy is now playing great, hitting it very long consistently, and is the source for lots of the content in his videos.

Absolutely fascinating.

And sort of sad.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

2 hours ago, Brian Manzella said:

It absolutely fascinating to me, that there is a thread on a major golf forum, about a guy that 3 or so years ago was lost in a sea of supposed to be correct golf mechanics and supposed to be world class teachers, playing like crud almost all the time, who now is perhaps the #1 most respected tour player when it comes to talking about the swing, and not one single person mentioned Michael Jacobs, who btw, is the #1 reason Paddy is now playing great, hitting it very long consistently, and is the source for lots of the content in his videos.

Absolutely fascinating.

And sort of sad.

Agree it's so hard to understand how the number one golf forum in all the land has a thread about the new flood of great videos from a wonderful amicable major champion who lost his swing and had to go to different instructors and try many different feels to finally get it all back .... shocking. 

Yes it took a biomechanist to help him make sense of it all finally .... that's what we do. I read MJs stuff and watch his videos and know how good the info is. But they are unequivocally not WRX thread worthy. Accurate, correct, dry science .... no fun.

Not fascinating - obvious

I'm kinda sad you don't see it

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, shortpockets said:

I seriously doubt Harrinton has ever been 'lost at sea' since setting sail with Bob Torrance long ago.  For Harrington, adding additional information along his journey would be like a NASCAR driver asking a moonshiner about cornering speed against a headwind. 

He actually was at the end of PGA Tour career ... throwing everything against the wall to see what would stick. Paddy is the pro who wants to know everything about what's happening in swing and then wants to know what to do to make that happen. Thats common mindset of teaching pro but rare in a successful playing pro. 

I love that he got it all back and even evolved, and I love that there is new content out there from someone with a perspective of a guy with a wildly successful playing resume. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Brian Manzella said:

Absolutely fascinating.

And sort of sad.

Sad?  What really is your point?  If Jacobs is that upset, let him speak for himself.

Sad?  What's sad is coming onto a golf forum as the #13 Golf Digest instructor bad mouthing a major winner and being jealous of a few people posting their appreciation.

Learn to take the high road; you just might make it to the top 10 of the list you so highly covet.

• Like 3

The point of my post is not to criticize this forum at all. The point was a commentary on how sad coverage of the golf instruction business is.

If anyone bother to cover it with any semblance of robust and accurate reporting, there is no way anyone would have a long thread about Paddy’s Golf Tips without throwing a bone to Jacobs.

That’s it.

Now, as far as the comments on this thread, I’ll be happy to address them.

“GoLow” said that Michael Jacobs’ information and teaching is “…unequivocally not WRX thread worthy.”

The thread “bar” on any golf discussion group on the net is pretty low, so I disagree with that person’s take.

“ShortPockets” wondered why Paddy would need help after getting such great instruction from the legendary Bob Torrance. Well, for one, Bob has passed. For two, Paddy got some bad information for him along the way. Mike did, and has done a great job with him the past almost three years. The record speaks for itself.

“GoLow” adds to his previous opinion with these nuggets: “end of PGA Tour career ... throwing everything against the wall to see what would stick.” You could say that about guys in their 20s that go bad, like Smylie Kaufman. Paddy was lost in a sea of bad for him information. Pretty much, Jacobs has taught him almost the opposite in many areas of his swing. Harrington would easily keep his card on the regular PGA TOUR, he made the cut in 3 majors this past year and he believes he can win a regular major or regular tour event at 52 or 53.

“CasualLie” Mike doesn’t read this forum. He isn’t the least bit put off by any of it. And “Mr.Lie,” I am one of Paddy’s biggest fans and look forward to seeing him again this year and having another great dinner with him at Michelangelo’s in Eastport, Long Island. He really likes the bread!

Edited by Brian Manzella
  • Like 2

13th ranked Teacher in America on Golf Digest's Top 50 List  (6th consecutive time in the Top 50). 7-time and current Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher in America.

8 minutes ago, Brian Manzella said:

The point of my post is not to criticize this forum at all. The point was a commentary on how sad coverage of the golf instruction business is.

If anyone bother to cover it with any semblance of robust and accurate reporting, there is no way anyone would have a long thread about Paddy’s Golf Tips without throwing a bone to Jacobs.

That’s it.

Now, as far as the comments on this thread, I’ll be happy to address them.

“GoLow” said that Michael Jacobs’ information and teaching is “…unequivocally not WRX thread worthy.”

The thread “bar” on any golf discussion group on the net is pretty low, so I disagree with that person’s take.

“ShortPockets” wondered why Paddy would need help after getting such great instruction from the legendary Bob Torrance. Well, for one, Bob has passed. For two, Paddy got some bad information for him along the way. Mike did, and has done a great job with him the past almost three years. The record speaks for itself.

“GoLow” adds to his previous opinion with these nuggets: “end of PGA Tour career ... throwing everything against the wall to see what would stick.” You could say that about guys in their 20s that go bad, like Smylie Kaufman. Paddy was lost in a sea of bad for him information. Pretty much, Jacobs has taught him almost the opposite in many areas of his swing. Harrington would easily keep his card on the regular PGA TOUR, he made the cut in 3 majors this past year and he believes he can win a regular major or regular tour event at 52 or 53.

“CasualLie” Mike doesn’t read this forum. He isn’t the least bit put off by any of it. And “Mr.Lie,” I am one of Paddy’s biggest fans and look forward to seeing him again this year and having another great dinner with him at Michelangelo’s in Eastport, Long Island. He really likes the bread!

I think the point was, you could’ve just said something nice about Jacob’s and called it a day.  If you have any links to his stuff please share since it fits on topic with Padraig’s channel. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brian Manzella said:

Well then your internet communication skills haven't improved since your initial struggles

Hmmmmm did I say that (his teaching) or did I refer to his videos ... just like this thread is (was) about PH's YT channel or in other words ... his videos. Too much chianti or you are being disingenuous.

And "long thread "? it wasn't at a page when you added to the fun

Watch or read anything from Monte or Adam Porzak - always positive, always simple and repetitive, and always give or allow spotlight onto others including their students. 

Merry Christmas

“GoLow” adds to his previous opinion with these nuggets: “end of PGA Tour career ... throwing everything against the wall to see what would stick.” You could say that about guys in their 20s that go bad, like Smylie Kaufman.

I was actually agreeing with your assessment of PH when he lost it you goof ball. And it happens to the best of 'em .... and all of us. And 'these nuggets" ? it was one nugget agreeing with you. 

Edited by golow
splitting quotes is hard
  • Like 1

• jonsnow changed the title to Padraig Harrington’s golf tips?