Electric Trolleys

Getting ready to retire here in about a month and I'm thinking about going the Electric Trolley route next season. I really like walking but the courses I play are very hilly and even though I'm in decent shape for 71 pushing a cart wears me out after 18. Just wondered what experiences some of you that use a electric trolley have had and was it worth the investment. Around here I'll save $10-$15 every round walking.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

26 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

I’m just a little older than you and I switched from a Clicgear to the MGI Zip Navigator AT powered cart a few years ago. There are several threads you can search and read about it, but for me it is perfect albeit a bit pricey. Well worth the expense as I adhere to the “buy once-cry once” theory and avoid getting lesser quality things.

I'm with you. I normally go middle of the road on purchases like that. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I'm 39 and have a Bat Caddy that I used to use a lot at my old course.  My new course isn't near as walking friendly but I do think they're worth it if you plan to walk a lot.

I'd cut you a deal on my Bat Caddy but I refuse to ship it because it'll cost a fortune lol.

• Haha 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

MGI has a Black Friday sale going on now...save about $300 on the Zip Navigator AT.

Just ordered mine.  I'm not going to bother with a push cart with the hills near me.  Should pay itself back in less than 1 year ($20 per cart rental here) - no brainer IMO

• Like 2

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Motocaddy having a good sale now - I got one last summer and love it. I much prefer walking to riding, and you can load up your bag with water etc and not worry about the weight. I find I have a ton more energy for the final few holes (less knee and shoulder pain - legacy of multiple soccer-related I injuries), and with the remote/gps one that I have you can send your cart up ahead to your ball and it is waiting for you with gps numbers ready for you. Battery lasts more than 36 holes, and it has a clever extra wheel at the back that stops it tipping. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, doctorgriffo said:

Motocaddy having a good sale now - I got one last summer and love it. I much prefer walking to riding, and you can load up your bag with water etc and not worry about the weight. I find I have a ton more energy for the final few holes (less knee and shoulder pain - legacy of multiple soccer-related I injuries), and with the remote/gps one that I have you can send your cart up ahead to your ball and it is waiting for you with gps numbers ready for you. Battery lasts more than 36 holes, and it has a clever extra wheel at the back that stops it tipping. 

Which model do you have doc?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

I have the m7 gps/remote version - I was torn about getting the cheaper remote-only or gps-only versions but my wife took the decision out of my hands for my 50th birthday, Glad she did - I use both the remote and the gps (and actually play better now that I don’t habitually laser the flag  because I play the middle of the green distances and don’t flag-chase in a way that is unhelpful for someone of my limited ability!)

• Like 1

I bought the Alphard Club Booster V2.  It has a gyroscope and remote and I have taken it through No some rough terrain and never had an issue. You do need to buy or retrofit a push cart, but it was a simple process.  They do go on sale from time to time, but at full price it’s $800 plus the cart you purchase (I spent $150 on Amazon).  @DLeightonReid and I have the same set up and so far we are both happy with it and each of us had a service issue and we’re resolved quick and harmless.  They do have a thing called the sidekick which will allow the cart to follow you.  I didn’t buy but DLR did.  I would buy again, and if interested I might have a $50 coupon.

Edited by NJBigFish22
  • Like 3

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

15 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I bought the Alphard Club Booster V2.  It has a gyroscope and remote and I have taken it through No some rough terrain and never had an issue. You do need to buy or retrofit a push cart, but it was a simple process.  They do go on sale from time to time, but at full price it’s $800 plus the cart you purchase (I spent $150 on Amazon).  @DLeightonReid and I have the same set up and so far we are both happy with it and each of us had a service issue and we’re resolved quick and harmless.  They do have a thing called the sidekick which will allow the cart to follow you.  I didn’t buy but DLR did.  I would buy again, and if interested I might have a $50 coupon.

Saw you had posted in a forum with style  in the title and figured it had to be an accident. 

🤣

12 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Saw you had posted in a forum with style  in the title and figured it had to be an accident. 

🤣

If it wasn’t BC that posted you’d be 1000% correct!  Cause we both know I have no style!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

You can't go wrong with near any remote cart.  Most are very good.  Just depends on what you want it to do and what extras you are willing to fork over money for.

I have a Stewart X9 Follow.  You pay big bucks for the follow mode. But for me it's worth every single penny.  I walk 3 days a week and often never touch my cart or push a button on the remote.  You walk it follows, you stop it stops, you go it goes. It's always right behind you.

That said, I also have a Stewart Carbon Vertx Remote.  I won the Stewart Fall Giveaway a few weeks ago.  Received the cart last Tuesday. I've walked 9 holes twice with it.  Absolutely a beautiful cart.  Super easy to control, extremely stable.  Folds very small and easily (2 buttons).  Has a carry handle when folded. Here is a pic of my new Vertx. 

Now my big choice is which cart to use each time I play!!

20231122_102819.jpg

Edited by 596
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JMH1220 said:

Does Motocaddy have have a “follow” model?  I have an older MGI zip navigator that I love.  Got years ago. First to have on my course. Always commented that it’s night and day to pushing. Now there are many on the course and owners love them. Money well spent. 

It doesn't - I thought about a follow model from other companies but I prefer the idea of the cart out in front of me (I didn't want to have to keep looking behind me to see if my clubs were still there, and hadn't veered off into a lake or something!). The thing I like about the remote is you can send it on up to your ball (the remote works at a decent distance) and you can pull your putter and direct your cart over to the next tee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doctorgriffo said:

It doesn't - I thought about a follow model from other companies but I prefer the idea of the cart out in front of me (I didn't want to have to keep looking behind me to see if my clubs were still there, and hadn't veered off into a lake or something!). The thing I like about the remote is you can send it on up to your ball (the remote works at a decent distance) and you can pull your putter and direct your cart over to the next tee.

I’d like both options I’d think

Edited by JMH1220

1 hour ago, doctorgriffo said:

Just to be clear for everyone. The follow carts also have the option to use it as a remote. It doesn't always have to be in follow mode.  Getting a follow cart gives you both options. 

Also, in 4 years mine has never veered off course or/and into anything. It's always 3 paces right behind me. 

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, 596 said:

Just to be clear for everyone. The follow carts also have the option to use it as a remote. It doesn't always have to be in follow mode.  Getting a follow cart gives you both options. 

Also, in 4 years mine has never veered off course or/and into anything. It's always 3 paces right behind me. 

Curiosity leads to this question then.  I’ve had the MGI Navigator Quad for the last three years and love it.  With the follow models like the Stewart you mentioned yo never touch a button or remote.

How do they stay off the green and not follow you?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

10 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Curiosity leads to this question then.  I’ve had the MGI Navigator Quad for the last three years and love it.  With the follow models like the Stewart you mentioned yo never touch a button or remote.

How do they stay off the green and not follow you?

When you get to the green's edge you stop and remove the remote from your back pocket area and place it on the trolley.  The trolley remains in place until you walk back to it, clip the remote to your back pocket, and walk away as it resumes following you.  It doesn't follow you per se. It follows the remote.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, smoky25 said:

When you get to the green's edge you stop and remove the remote from your back pocket area and place it on the trolley.  The trolley remains in place until you walk back to it, clip the remote to your back pocket, and walk away as it resumes following you.  It doesn't follow you per se. It follows the remote.

So you do touch the remote.🤣. But I get it…..and I know I’d forget!

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Motogolf had nice discounts running so I picked up a MGI Quad Navigator with remote. It'll be a few months before I can use it but with inflation the way it is I figure the price isn't going down.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

6 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I have the Alphard V2 really like it does make a big difference in Texas during the summer, from pushing my Clicgear. Since I have bought mine one of the guys in my group has done the same and two other thinking about it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Getting ready to retire here in about a month and I'm thinking about going the Electric Trolley route next season. I really like walking but the courses I play are very hilly and even though I'm in decent shape for 71 pushing a cart wears me out after 18. Just wondered what experiences some of you that use an electric trolley have had and was it worth the investment. Around here I'll save $10-$15 every round walking.

I’m also 71; went to an MGI Navigator a couple of years ago after a decade plus of pushing a Clicgear, and decades before that carrying.  

You’ll never be sorry about the purchase of an electric; it’s hard to overstate the difference it makes.  

My only advice about this is simply to spend enough up front to get a quality, well-reviewed unit WITH a remote.  My personal opinion is that a gyroscope is critical as well, but there are some good units without one.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, bluedot said:

I’m also 71; went to an MGI Navigator a couple of years ago after a decade plus of pushing a Clicgear, and decades before that carrying.  

You’ll never be sorry about the purchase of an electric; it’s hard to overstate the difference it makes.  

My only advice about this is simply to spend enough up front to get a quality, well-reviewed unit WITH a remote.  My personal opinion is that a gyroscope is critical as well, but there are some good units without one.

Yup, exactly what I got. Thanks

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

3 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

Motogolf had nice discounts running so I picked up a MGI Quad Navigator with remote. It'll be a few months before I can use it but with inflation the way it is I figure the price isn't going down.

... Having owned remote carts since 1992 including the Quad and ZIP, the ZIP is more maneuverable and lighter but the Quad is much more stable. I also paid $2300 for the original Quad so you got it for about 1/2 what I paid. 👍 And as Bluedot said, after owning several that always wandered around the course having a gyroscope is a game changer. I think you will love the Quad! 

• Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... Having owned remote carts since 1992 including the Quad and ZIP, the ZIP is more maneuverable and lighter but the Quad is much more stable. I also paid $2300 for the original Quad so you got it for about 1/2 what I paid. 👍 And as Bluedot said, after owning several that always wandered around the course having a gyroscope is a game changer. I think you will love the Quad! 

I was torn between models but the new Quad was the best deal. The courses I play are very hilly so I narrowed it down to either the MGI All Terrain or the Quad. The Quad is 6lbs lighter and had the seat and storage case for it included along with a battery upgrade to the 36 hole ion battery. Hoping for a early spring already.😁

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

53 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I was torn between models but the new Quad was the best deal. The courses I play are very hilly so I narrowed it down to either the MGI All Terrain or the Quad. The Quad is 6lbs lighter and had the seat and storage case for it included along with a battery upgrade to the 36 hole ion battery. Hoping for a early spring already.😁

You are going to love it.  Congrats!

• Thanks 1

Hey, a couple of “tips” to keep in mind.

1. It is really tempting to send the cart way ahead of you when you are walking down the fairway with only a small remote in your hand; don’t do it!  There are drains that you can’t see, small depressions, etc, that WILL turn you cart over.  

2. Along those same lines, if you are going to send the cart toward the next tee while you walk straight to the green with putter in hand, be sure you n

know what’s on the margins of the hole.  On the los side there can be more of those pesky drains, and on the high side slopes that you don’t really see.  It also tends to be less maintained and rougher terrain; it’s better to walk the extra steps that to risk damage to your stuff, and the cart is still doing the work anyway.  Same goes for crossing cart paths; keep your hand on the handle!

3. Be SURE that you have the extra wheel extended on the back to prevent tip overs when going uphill.  Over time, I’ve made two other adjustments to this as well.  I carry a Yeti thermos in one of the two front pockets of my golf bag, and a sand bottle in the other; the added weight down low on the front really makes the buggy more stable going uphill.  Plus, I drink more water AND have a sand bottle with me at all times; both good things.

• Like 1

Here’s another safety tip- when you walk on the green and send your cart to the other side make sure it actually turns off when you hit the off button. Three of us have made the mistake of assuming our cart stopped when it didn’t. Mine dropped 6’ down into a river before I could stop it. Luckily it was on the sandy bank. One buddy got done putting out and couldn’t find his cart. It was nowhere to be seen and after a few minutes of searching we found it down in the bushes of a river bank - wheels still turning. My other buddy’s cart took a stroll into a housing complex next to the course. We noticed it when it ran into things.

It’s a good thing the Navigator is sturdy or idiots like us would break them. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs