Do Not Pull On the Club from the Top of the Backswing...Stop the Handle Late In Downswing.

Starting from the Top of Swing, the club is moving in two directions - dropping downward ALONG the spine and also being swung AROUND the spine.

I like to describe the action of swinging, hopefully, to the benefit of the OP.

We all know the phase "pulling the rug under someone".  If you were that someone standing on the rug, you could easily survice the fall.  But if you wore a pair of golf shoes and the spikes tangled with the fiber bundles of the rug, your fall could be fatal.  The difference is that in the first scenario, you could slip from the rug, and the fall is gravity driven; whereas, in the second scenario, your feet were being accelerated along with the rug, that created torque to rotate your body, that caused acceleration of your head which could be multiple times larger that from gravity.

From the Top of Swing, the lead hip tugging the lead shoulder to move forward away from the chin is just "pulling the rug" under the lead arm and club, creating acceleration to the club stronger than ten times that of gravity.

Now, I could also mention on "stop the handle late in the downswing", but some other time.

The clubhead is the last link in the chain. If some people want to cast making the clubhead the first link that's okay. :classic_biggrin:

The unfolding comes behind the shift not in front of the shift but if some of you want to drop your arms or pull with your left arm be my guest. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

The clubhead is the last link in the chain. If some people want to cast making the clubhead the first link that's okay. :classic_biggrin:

The unfolding comes behind the shift not in front of the shift but if some of you want to drop your arms or pull with your left arm be my guest. :classic_biggrin:

There's a ground pivot torso chain, but its not connected to the club. Issue is most people want them to connect. The hands/club are there own chain. Merging the two and now you're on to something!!

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

1 hour ago, Zitlow said:

I suppose that if you want back problems and a hip replacement this is probably a good way to do it:

Bad-impact-pos.jpg.27515122aff2f4af9516bc902647790d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/11/2024 at 3:13 AM, Hilts1969 said:

The problem the OP has in this thread and the other one is he keeps making statements as factual moves ie add no force to the club till p6. He then demonstrates videos that actually debunk what he is saying in actual movements.

The OP's issue is and always has been three things:

• He gets factual things wrong quite often.
  • He treats his feels as facts, leading to the first bullet point.
  • He thinks that you can just change ball position to arrive at a better impact position and, while that may occasionally work in the short term, it's often nowhere near all that's needed.

He also watches a video and makes erroneous conclusions about what he sees, too.

The first is the most egregious issue, by far. I have very little patience for people who are told they're wrong, why they're wrong, shown that they're wrong, and who persist anyway.

Many of the things he says are known to be false. They're matters of fact. They've been measured.

Yet he persists.

16 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I think it has been flogged to death on here before that body parts are not consciously braked; the acceleration / unloading of the next segment in the chain applies a braking force to the prior segment.

Indeed. And that's well down the list of egregious errors he's made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, Zitlow said:

It does not matter what someone is thinking if the result is a sound golf swing.

Watch this for a while and get the song stuck in your head:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hidraw said:

Starting from the Top of Swing, the club is moving in two directions - dropping downward ALONG the spine and also being swung AROUND the spine.

I like to describe the action of swinging, hopefully, to the benefit of the OP.

We all know the phase "pulling the rug under someone".  If you were that someone standing on the rug, you could easily survice the fall.  But if you wore a pair of golf shoes and the spikes tangled with the fiber bundles of the rug, your fall could be fatal.  The difference is that in the first scenario, you could slip from the rug, and the fall is gravity driven; whereas, in the second scenario, your feet were being accelerated along with the rug, that created torque to rotate your body, that caused acceleration of your head which could be multiple times larger that from gravity.

From the Top of Swing, the lead hip tugging the lead shoulder to move forward away from the chin is just "pulling the rug" under the lead arm and club, creating acceleration to the club stronger than ten times that of gravity.

Now, I could also mention on "stop the handle late in the downswing", but some other time.

Continuing the rug pulling to induced an acceleration much greater than gravity that gravity is insignificance that we can ignore.  Therefore the rug can be in any orientation in space and now the powerful "fall" is to yank the rug under any protruding object attached to the rug.

What about if the rug in hanging vertically on our left perpendicular to the target line and just touching our left shoulder at our reversed K address posture.  Do you know how to induce a powerful "fall" of the left arm and club onto the rug?  How shoud we accelerate the left shoulder and in what direction and when?

On 1/10/2024 at 6:36 PM, iacas said:

Oh boy.

Good players are putting force into the club basically the entire downswing, and they're not trying to stop the grip at impact. Basically, nearly the exact opposite of what's said.

Kyle Berkshire is doing all he can to put force into the club for as long as he can — which is why long drive guys (and instructors of regular golfers) talk sometimes about "hand path length."

This has been measured. It's considered known fact, I guess unless you're a long-time aspiring Internet golf guru, I guess.

I didn't say the athlete is stopping the handle at impact.  I said that it will occur at some point around shaft parallel on the downswing and before impact depending on how fast twitch you are and your video that you posted also stated as such at timestamp 11:47 when he states that a negative couple is being applied at just below shaft parallel and the golfer is working in opposition to the direction the club head is traveling.  I wonder how the athlete could go about working in the opposite direction of the club head being that they aren't holding the club head in their hands. I bet you if a braking force was applied to the handle end that a negative couple would occur.  

image.png.93e07e5504a302c4dc27dd6430360ce6.png

The full video: 

I find it so interesting that both Berkshire and DeChambeau both arrive at the top at the same time but his swing takes twice as long while swinging 20 mph faster. Yeah that makes complete sense that he isn't being more passive and patient than DeChambeau is.  He should have go to the ball well before DeChambeau if he was pulling from the top of his backswing the same as DeChambeau is.  

3 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I didn't say the athlete is stopping the handle at impact.  I said that it will occur at some point around shaft parallel on the downswing and before impact depending on how fast twitch you are and your video that you posted also stated as such at timestamp 11:47 when he states that a negative couple is being applied at just below shaft parallel and the golfer is working in opposition to the direction the club head is traveling.

"Tell me you don't understand physics without telling me you don't understand physics?" I'm not going to explain it, because you'll just ignore it or make a bunch of off-topic posts about your bounce theories again or something.

BTW, did you keep going and listen to the part where he talked about the (very little amount of) work done by gravity? Did you look at the work done by the golfer himself at that point? Did you watch the first part of the video where he talks about the forces applied by the golfer along the hand path?

I wonder how the athlete could go about working in the opposite direction of the club head being that they aren't holding the club head in their hands. I bet you if a braking force was applied to the handle end that a negative couple would occur.

I'm not sure you understand how the word "work" is used in a physics context, or that you understand what a "couple" is. The good doc is simply saying that the rotation around that big red arrow is slowing down. If you yanked the handle backward at that point, do you think the rotation around that axis would slow down or speed up? Did you notice how the big red arrow was not ever really near the mid-point of the hands? Don't answer either: they're rhetorical questions.

I find it so interesting that both Berkshire and DeChambeau both arrive at the top at the same time

They do not. Bryson is into his downswing while Kyle is still in his backswing. Yet another fact you just get wrong. Kyle's backswing is longer in every way, with higher hands (thus affecting hand path length), more hip turn, more torso or "shoulder" turn… etc.

Yeah that makes complete sense that he isn't being more passive and patient than DeChambeau is.

Kyle is not being passive to start the downswing or, really, at almost any point in the swing. You are wrong here.

He should have go to the ball well before DeChambeau if he was pulling from the top of his backswing the same as DeChambeau is.  

He's putting tremendous force into the golf club in the downswing direction from mid-way in the backswing.

I'm struggling to recall having talked with anyone as wrong as you are as frequently as you are, and coming up empty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 hour ago, iacas said:

"Tell me you don't understand physics without telling me you don't understand physics?" I'm not going to explain it, because you'll just ignore it or make a bunch of off-topic posts about your bounce theories again or something.

BTW, did you keep going and listen to the part where he talked about the (very little amount of) work done by gravity? Did you look at the work done by the golfer himself at that point? Did you watch the first part of the video where he talks about the forces applied by the golfer along the hand path?

I'm not sure you understand how the word "work" is used in a physics context, or that you understand what a "couple" is. The good doc is simply saying that the rotation around that big red arrow is slowing down. If you yanked the handle backward at that point, do you think the rotation around that axis would slow down or speed up? Did you notice how the big red arrow was not ever really near the mid-point of the hands? Don't answer either: they're rhetorical questions.

They do not. Bryson is into his downswing while Kyle is still in his backswing. Yet another fact you just get wrong. Kyle's backswing is longer in every way, with higher hands (thus affecting hand path length), more hip turn, more torso or "shoulder" turn… etc.

Kyle is not being passive to start the downswing or, really, at almost any point in the swing. You are wrong here.

He's putting tremendous force into the golf club in the downswing direction from mid-way in the backswing.

I'm struggling to recall having talked with anyone as wrong as you are as frequently as you are, and coming up empty.

So... Berkshire is 20 mph faster and his swing takes twice as long. His backswing is not twice the length of DeChambeau's and either way he should catch up and over take him because he is 20 mph faster.  You can't make it make sense. You also agreed with someone when they said that angular momentum was constant when it is not. 

So I bet this isn't applying a negative couple to the club either or applying a force in opposition to the direction the club head was traveling...no way he is applying a braking force to the grip end of the club...my eyes are obviously deceiving me: 

Yup...no negative couple or stopping the handle end here...he does say that he feels a pull form the top and if he is pulling from the top he then has to abruptly brake to transfer energy to the club head: 

Edited by Righty to Lefty

5 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

So... Berkshire is 20 mph faster and his swing takes twice as long. His backswing is not twice the length of DeChambeau's and either way he should catch up and over take him because he is 20 mph faster.  You can't make it make sense. You also agreed with someone when they said that angular momentum was constant when it is not. 

So I bet this isn't applying a negative couple to the club either or applying a force in opposition to the direction the club head was traveling...no way he is applying a braking force to the grip end of the club...my eyes are obviously deceiving me: 

Yup...no negative couple or stopping the handle end here...he does say that he feels a pull form the top and if he is pulling from the top he then has to abruptly brake to transfer energy to the club head: 

Did you even watch the bottom video? He's not applying braking force to the handle with any intention other than stopping the downswing to return to the top. He clearly states he's doing that pump drill to maintain width in the downswing. 

You saying that people should apply braking force to the handle around p5 is absolute silliness. Using that video as your "proof" is you just simply being obtuse...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Bryson's swing in that slow-mo takes 7.0 seconds (6.17 to 13.17). Kyle's takes until 14.11. 6.17 -> 14.11 is 7.8 seconds. That's not twice as long, and almost all of that difference comes in the backswing.

Downswings only… 11.19 to 13.17 (1.933) and 12.12 to 14.11 (1.967) (the decimals aren't decimals, they're frames, so you can divide by 29.96). Their downswings take about the same amount of time, and since Kyle covers a longer distance in about the same amount of time, it makes sense that he's going faster.

That is is beside the main points:

• Kyle isn't "waiting" to apply force in the downswing direction. He's doing it the entire downswing. Heck, he's doing it partway through the backswing. You're wrong about that.
  • @MonteScheinblum has a world long driving championship under his belt. How about we ask about his feels, and what he's been measured to do, and when he's applying force? Surely they carry more weight than your feels?
  • Feel ain't real. You aren't doing what you think you're doing.

No, you can't make it make sense. And maybe people can't make it make sense to you, but I understand it pretty well. Dr. Sasho Mackenzie understands it pretty well. Monte understands it pretty well.

So… he's not hitting the ball there. He's literally going to swing the club backward again, hence… a "pump" drill. 🤦🏼‍♂️

The working out of the downswings is impressive. Thank you sir

• Like 2

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

On 1/10/2024 at 9:12 AM, MPStrat said:

Some have hijacked the word pull to mean bad and lower to mean good. The club can be pulled in a number of ways. Some good, some not so good. 

Agree.  IMO pulling is not a bad thing.  I have a fast tempo and transition which feeds a pull into the slot.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Bryson's swing in that slow-mo takes 7.0 seconds (6.17 to 13.17). Kyle's takes until 14.11. 6.17 -> 14.11 is 7.8 seconds. That's not twice as long, and almost all of that difference comes in the backswing.

Downswings only… 11.19 to 13.17 (1.933) and 12.12 to 14.11 (1.967) (the decimals aren't decimals, they're frames, so you can divide by 29.96). Their downswings take about the same amount of time, and since Kyle covers a longer distance in about the same amount of time, it makes sense that he's going faster.

That is is beside the main points:

• Kyle isn't "waiting" to apply force in the downswing direction. He's doing it the entire downswing. Heck, he's doing it partway through the backswing. You're wrong about that.
  • @MonteScheinblum has a world long driving championship under his belt. How about we ask about his feels, and what he's been measured to do, and when he's applying force? Surely they carry more weight than your feels?
  • Feel ain't real. You aren't doing what you think you're doing.

No, you can't make it make sense. And maybe people can't make it make sense to you, but I understand it pretty well. Dr. Sasho Mackenzie understands it pretty well. Monte understands it pretty well.

So… he's not hitting the ball there. He's literally going to swing the club backward again, hence… a "pump" drill. 🤦🏼‍♂️

You've got to be kidding me. I am not talking about the time for the whole swing..I am talking about how they both arrive at the top of the backswing at the same time and very close to the same position and yet DeChambeau gets to impact twice as fast and it is obvious to see that they aren't in dramatically different positions at the top of the backswing. If Berkshire had a swing length like John Daly...different story... but trying to make is seem like we are comparing Rahm's swing length to John Daly's is ridiculous.  

I had seen Dr. Mackenzie's video before and watched it multiple times and HE literally says that the golfer begins to apply a negative couple to the club and the golfer begins to work in the opposite direction of the direction the club head is traveling. Well if the golfer is opposite of the club head, because the golfer is holding onto the grip end of the club...how the else would the athlete apply force in the opposite direction of the club head? A braking force is being applied to the grip end of the club at just below shaft parallel and Dr. Mackenzie stated as much.   If the athlete worked in the same direction as the club head then maximum leverage would never be achieved because it wouldn't be transferred onward to the club head.  DeChambeau is also not as efficient because he fully transfers his leverage after impact has all ready occurred because his knees were still in flexion at impact.  

That braking force that was demonstrated in that pump drill is precisely the force that I speak about creating in the stop the handle drill and I assure you that it is happening regardless of if the athlete realizes it or not.  I stated in my stop the handle video that without rotation there is a tremendous amount of force that is felt in the hands and wrists and they have to work very hard to support it, but with rotation you can't perceive it and that statement is very much inline with what Dr. Mackenzie stated about the negative couple and what Borgmeier displayed by braking so aggressively that he snapped the shaft.  Twaddell says that he feels a pull from the top of the backswing but he also says that his number one focus is maintaining width and trying to keep his trail arm as straight as possible and you simply can't pull too hard from that position and I encourage anyone that reads this to grab a club and try that double pump drill and you will quickly see that you can't pull very hard the straighter your arms remain and that there is an obvious braking force being applied to the handle end of the club and when you do that same thing yet don't restrict your rotation that the force is no longer felt in the hands because it is transferred onward to the club head....but it is still there...it is just that restricting the rotation shows you just how much force was created and the better you are at braking the faster you will be.  

14 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I used a gravity arm drop swing at a contest once and achieved 160 kilometers  per hour and finished DFL.

Yeah but your feel wasn't real so you couldn't have possibly been using a gravity arm drop because it isn't possible...see how I did that!!!  

1 hour ago, Righty to Lefty said:

You've got to be kidding me. I am not talking about the time for the whole swing..I am talking about how they both arrive at the top of the backswing at the same time and very close to the same position and yet DeChambeau gets to impact twice as fast and it is obvious to see that they aren't in dramatically different positions at the top of the backswing.

Ummmm… I gave you the times.

• They in fact do not arrive at the top of the backswing "at the same time."
  • Their downswings are almost exactly the same time.
  • As Kyle has farther to go in about the same amount of time, it's not surprising that he arrives at impact with a faster clubhead speed.
17 hours ago, iacas said:

You quoted it — do you not read what people say to you? Intellectually dishonest, pal.

but trying to make is seem like we are comparing Rahm's swing length to John Daly's is ridiculous.

Yeah… I don't know what to tell you, as I'm not doing that.

I had seen Dr. Mackenzie's video before and watched it multiple times and HE literally says that the golfer begins to apply a negative couple to the club

Simply put: you don't seem to understand what you're talking about. I'm not going to educate you on basic physics, because I'm not even sure you understand what a "couple" is.

The short version for others is that the couple is effectively about the red arrow, and as the club is rotating in one direction (call it counter-clockwise) for most of the downswing, slowing this rotation produces a negative couple (the club obviously does not start rotating in the clockwise direction, which is actually the opposite direction of what R2L seems to think it is).

image.png.491354eae747c80f082fedaae6633282.png

Also:

1 hour ago, Simpsonia said:

However, the release is not a braking force, it is merely a change in directions (hands and grip are now going up, clubhead still going down). That change in directions is what causes the negative couple. 

Yeah.

Well if the golfer is opposite of the club head, because the golfer is holding onto the grip end of the club...how the else would the athlete apply force in the opposite direction of the club head? … A braking force is being applied to the grip end of the club at just below shaft parallel and Dr. Mackenzie stated as much.

No, sorry. The red arrow is not on the grip, and you've got this one all wrong.

That braking force that was demonstrated in that pump drill is precisely the force that I speak about creating in the stop the handle drill and I assure you that it is happening regardless of if the athlete realizes it or not.

You are wrong. You've been told that you're wrong, shown that you're wrong, etc. I don't know what else to do here. You're literally just wrong. The video is a pump drill. He was able to stop the club; golfers are not doing that when they get to impact. It's been measured. What you insist is happening is not happening. "That's facts!" -- Sean Foley's kid

and what Borgmeier displayed by braking so aggressively that he snapped the shaft

Borgmeier wasn't trying to hit the ball!

Yeah but your feel wasn't real so you couldn't have possibly been using a gravity arm drop because it isn't possible...see how I did that!!!

Good golfers, long drivers, and even you are not using gravity to drop the club to almost P6 before applying any force. This is a fact. It's been measured. It's been calculated. You are wrong about this. This isn't a matter of opinions, and your feels are irrelevant. We know what the best golfers in the world are doing.

image.png.83f73f62b95c13be0aed465eb0ef26e2.png

What's the red number in the bottom right? It's sure as heck not zero.

Please stop replying to me if you're not going to even do the very basic things, you know, like… read what I wrote and respond to what I wrote. I'll paste it again, since you KEEP talking (incorrectly) about Bryson and Kyle:

17 hours ago, iacas said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm getting tired of it all very, very quickly.

He's wrong — about facts — so gosh darn always. Yet he goes on and on and on. He'll quote something that demonstrates that he's wrong and not even acknowledge it.

It's intellectually dishonest. It's asinine. It'd be wildly infuriating if I cared — I reply occasionally so that others can hopefully get some half-decent info, as I've completely given up on him. But, at this point, I don't know that anyone on here except his fanboy (I wouldn't be surprised if it's a burner account) really believe anything he has to say.

You're doing the Lord's work.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Same high school player I posted in hinge thread.  Actively bringing hands and arms down sooner.  Neutralized path and higher ball speed and club speed on a 1/2 swing  .  Full swing he still wanted to fire his knee.

IMG_0951.png

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm getting tired of it all very, very quickly.

He's wrong — about facts — so gosh darn always. Yet he goes on and on and on. He'll quote something that demonstrates that he's wrong and not even acknowledge it.

It's intellectually dishonest. It's asinine. It'd be wildly infuriating if I cared — I reply occasionally so that others can hopefully get some half-decent info, as I've completely given up on him. But, at this point, I don't know that anyone on here except his fanboy (I wouldn't be surprised if it's a burner account) really believe anything he has to say.

The replies that you make, while not reaching the intended target, are incredibly helpful to many of us.

So cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Titleist 909D3 w/ Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Titleist 906F2 w/ Diamana Bluebored 83x
Mizuno MP-4 3-PW w/ KBS C-Taper x-flex
Scratch Tour Department 52*
Cleveland Reg. 588 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

2 minutes ago, JamesFoote said:

The replies that you make, while not reaching the intended target, are incredibly helpful to many of us.

I'd prefer to say what DOES happen instead of constantly having to point out why someone else is wrong and saying "no, that doesn't happen."

There's value in knowing what "not" to do, I know, but I think there's more in knowing what to do, and it's not always just "the opposite."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd prefer to say what DOES happen instead of constantly having to point out why someone else is wrong and saying "no, that doesn't happen."

There's value in knowing what "not" to do, I know, but I think there's more in knowing what to do, and it's not always just "the opposite."

Teaching the opposite of bad has failed for 100 years.

casting?…….hold lag

over the top?…..swing to right field

hooking?….hold off the release

all canine feces

• Like 4

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL