2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Looking for a Non fade Bias driver

dmecca2

On 1/13/2024 at 6:20 PM, Phabs said:

Yep.  I quickly learned that the low spin distance thing isn’t for me.  Chasing launch monitor numbers doesn’t get you anywhere but in trouble.  Just my opinion

My numbers with my current Aerojet are far less than what the internet guru’s would say is ideal yet I hit more bombs in three months than I did in the three years prior chasing ideal numbers 

Why do you think that is? I'm working on driver accuracy this winter and really only have the ability to hit indoors with a launch monitor. I know this is a popular sentiment on the forum, so not coming at you directly or anything. Just curious as to why / what exactly people think causes a difference between indoor vs golf course performance. 

1 hour ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

Why do you think that is? I'm working on driver accuracy this winter and really only have the ability to hit indoors with a launch monitor. I know this is a popular sentiment on the forum, so not coming at you directly or anything. Just curious as to why / what exactly people think causes a difference between indoor vs golf course performance. 

Because spin is control.   I also take launch monitor results with a grain of salt... rather hit everything outside with decent golf balls 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

6 minutes ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

I don't think he means the act of hitting on a LM. It's the chase for maximum distance on a LM.  Going as low spinning as you can to eek out every possible yard.  The trade off is that the low spin will mean your ball will not hold its line as well.  You'll get more movement and live on the edge of a terrible shot and a bomb.  Get the spin to a place where it's not detrimentally high but not too low either will give you a more controllable ball flight that is more repeatable.  

Kind of like when TM promoted the 17/1700 campaign once they realized the SLDR was too low spin for people.  Only way to make it playable for most was to launch it super high.  On great shots it was a bomb. On not so great, well, it wasn't lol.  My miss with that club was a very hard low spin hook.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 minute ago, radiman said:

I don't think he means the act of hitting on a LM. It's the chase for maximum distance on a LM.  Going as low spinning as you can to eek out every possible yard.  The trade off is that the low spin will mean your ball will not hold its line as well.  You'll get more movement and live on the edge of a terrible shot and a bomb.  Get the spin to a place where it's not detrimentally high but not too low either will give you a more controllable ball flight that is more repeatable.  

Kind of like when TM promoted the 17/1700 campaign once they realized the SLDR was too low spin for people.  Only way to make it playable for most was to launch it super high.  On great shots it was a bomb. On not so great, well, it wasn't lol.  My miss with that club was a very hard low spin hook.  

Makes sense. Is there a rough rule-of-thumb type of spin number that starts to be in that sweet spot of leaving ~5 yards or whatever the number is on the table for a more controlled flight? For example, using the PING driver optimization chart, would that be like ~300 more rpm's of spin than suggested for the ball speed/AoA? 

I'm having this problem currently where I'm hitting good drives on my launch monitor, but worried the spin is a touch too low. Living in the ~2000-2200 zone right now with a ~14 launch. Has me considering a head with more spin since i'm already lofted up.

18 minutes ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

Makes sense. Is there a rough rule-of-thumb type of spin number that starts to be in that sweet spot of leaving ~5 yards or whatever the number is on the table for a more controlled flight? For example, using the PING driver optimization chart, would that be like ~300 more rpm's of spin than suggested for the ball speed/AoA? 

I'm having this problem currently where I'm hitting good drives on my launch monitor, but worried the spin is a touch too low. Living in the ~2000-2200 zone right now with a ~14 launch. Has me considering a head with more spin since i'm already lofted up.

I don't know if there's an accurate chart since a lot of it depends on speed and launch.  But, you could plug your numbers into the Flightscope optimizer and play with spin numbers to see what kind of effect it would have on distance. 

https://trajectory.flightscope.com/

If you're hitting it well and straight, then you can live there.  If you're finding that you're a little bit all over the place, then consider some extra spin.  Few hundred RPM. Could be increased loft, a different head, maybe even a different shaft.  If results are good on the LM, then I say wait until you get outdoors to see if that spin is truly an issue or not. 

Also, that's assuming you're using a legit LM that is giving you really accurate data.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 hour ago, radiman said:

You'll get more movement and live on the edge of a terrible shot and a bomb.

This exactly 

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

TSR2 is definitely draw-biased for me.  So was the TSi2.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

1 hour ago, radiman said:

Yep this to a T... great response and explanation.   I chased "optimal" numbers on launch monitors for the better part of two years with LTDX LS , LTDX and Aerojet LS and drove the ball like a trashcan the whole time even though the launch monitor was saying I had absolutely superior conditions.    My current Aerojet head is 700+ rpm more than any of those 3 heads and my driver has come back to earth. 

Edited by Phabs

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

7 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Yep this to a T... great response and explanation.   I chased "optimal" numbers on launch monitors for the better part of two years with LTDX LS , LTDX and Aerojet LS and drove the ball like a trashcan the whole time even though the launch monitor was saying I had absolutely superior conditions.    My current Aerojet head is 700+ rpm more than any of those 3 heads and my driver has come back to earth. 

Wow Aerojet is that much higher spin than LTDx for you?  I'm in LTDx now and fight low spin.  I'm going to try the 2024 releases in search of more spin and was thinking of starting with Darkspeed X.

24 minutes ago, drza3 said:

Wow Aerojet is that much higher spin than LTDx for you?  I'm in LTDx now and fight low spin.  I'm going to try the 2024 releases in search of more spin and was thinking of starting with Darkspeed X.

I went through 3 standard aerojet heads to find the one that I liked.  It was a disaster.... 

My current head set at standard on the sleeve is right around 2600-2800 typically.   The control I chased prior is back and my stock 10 yard draw ball has returned for the first time in two years. 

I was down in the low 2000's with LTDX LS / Aerojet LS and around 2500 in LTDX but I fought fade bias in that head even with more manageable spin numbers.   

If I we're you i'd give the standard aerojet head a spin. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

your not drawing the stealth but want to.  so you are probably aiming right side but not turning it over, right. 

fastest way to get that draw back is to aim at the middle, your sure to draw it into the trees on the left then.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

Apologies for taking this topic off track, but as far as OP's question, i've seen reviews that say the new G430 10K Max wants to turn over. It seems a bit of a mix bag based on delivery of what type of spin it will produce for you, but Cameron Champ is using one so it does seem to be able to hold spin for some high swing speed players. 

I also play the standard Aerojet and have had no problem turning it over. As @Phabs mentioned he plays a 10 yard stock draw with it but had to go through a couple of heads. I will say I loft up in mine, as I like the slightly closed face (opposite of most on here) to help with the block right. In reality, I hardly ever hit the duck hook left on course, but i'm so scared of doing so my main miss is not committing to turning the face over and leaving it open for the right block. Closing the face helps a little with that I find.

Given your high SS, I imagine spin is a problem in a lot of heads. If you want something more draw-biased, Cool Clubs Robot Testing showed Aerojet Max has very low spin loft for a Max head. I assume Darkspeed will be the same. Not sure exactly how much draw bias is in it though as i've never tested one out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm a very budget friendly golfer, and buying new clubs without pro shop credit is out of the picture for me. I was looking into the Mizuno STX and then Grayson Murray won with it, so I figured that was a sign to give it a shot. I found a head for $145 so once I get that and a shaft fitted with the correct adapter, I'll give it a go and report back.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 2:45 PM, dmecca2 said:

I’ve been a drawer of the ball my entire life and I currently have a stealth 2 and struggle to draw it. From what I’ve heard, read, and experienced, the stealth 2 seems to be naturally fade bias. Are there any drivers out there that are easier to draw, or more neutral balanced? And I’m not talking about the anti-slice drivers. My current swing speed hovers around 115. 

Can't you adjust the sleeve?   I am amazed at all the people I know that never adjusted or even experimented with sleeve adjustment.

When I play a course that starts with a number of left dog legs, I change the sleeve to A3 or D3 and take it down the right side.  Playing Nicklaus courses, on the other hand, which have dog legs tending right, B4 or C4.  Course you can't do that during a USGA tournament, but any other time it's okay.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

14 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Can't you adjust the sleeve?   I am amazed at all the people I know that never adjusted or even experimented with sleeve adjustment.

When I play a course that starts with a number of left dog legs, I change the sleeve to A3 or D3 and take it down the right side.  Playing Nicklaus courses, on the other hand, which have dog legs tending right, B4 or C4.  Course you can't do that during a USGA tournament, but any other time it's okay.

I have the stealth 2 in the upright setting with the weight in all the way to draw. It's the most "draw" I can get out of it, and it's still challenging to turn over. The club just wants to fade. Of course I can up the loft and that will close the face, but it produces a terribly shut face at address and doesn't change the fact that it's still fade bias.

I can work with it and I've certainly had a successful summer with the driver, but it's not ideal and a part of my game I want to improve this winter.

1 hour ago, dmecca2 said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm a very budget friendly golfer, and buying new clubs without pro shop credit is out of the picture for me. I was looking into the Mizuno STX and then Grayson Murray won with it, so I figured that was a sign to give it a shot. I found a head for $145 so once I get that and a shaft fitted with the correct adapter, I'll give it a go and report back.

I enjoy looking for high quality gear that gets a little overlooked and is a great deal now. About two months ago at season’s end I also grabbed a mint Mizuno 230 ST-X head (9.5) for a low price. Took my time looking for a quality shaft for a budget price. Just finished building it last week with my usual category of shaft — mid-launch, mid-spin — this one with a UST Mamiya LIN-Q Purple shaft, also got strong reviews and is way, way cheaper than when it was released. I had hit the 220 STZ (gamed it for a few rounds) and the STX and @wam78is on the money. I found the ST-X head easy to draw or fade. Very good on misses, feels smooth. These drivers are consistency machines, very underrated. 

It should be a good one for you. 

07E9DF25-0F11-4430-84D1-8BA326F0A47C.jpeg.3c6353a49f52a928cd819250e1f46300.jpeg

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

I don’t think it’s legal to change adjustments during a round. Practice round or something I guess you could but when playing a game I don’t.  

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

• 3 weeks later...

Was able to get to a trackman simulator with the mizuno stx (9°) and it performed well. I have it fit up with a ventus blue 7x cb and my numbers seem pretty ideal. Swinging at about 115 with a heavier shaft produced ball speeds around 173 with 2200ish rpm's and a mid launch angle. I had my stealth 2 (8°) with a denali blue 6tx and even though I swung this lighter club around 117, my ball speed numbers were exactly the same, spin was similar, launch was lower, but dispersion was definitely more right. I'll definitely wait to get outside and test some more, but the mizuno seems to be better for me.

check out the new PXG Black Ops drivers. Get the extra weight kit and really dial in. When I had a Tensei Pro Orange in a PXG driver I put in a 20g weight in the heel and it was money

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

On 1/18/2024 at 4:18 PM, Pepperturbo said:

I suspect you know this but those rounds are not post-able,,,,,,,, at least not without penalty strokes applied, yes ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow