2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sand Valley September trip booked...tips/advice/experience please!

Itinerary looks solid. I didn’t love Sandbox. After playing Bandon Preserve.; not much comes close. 😝

There are some crazy/cool greens on the sandbox. 

I loved Mammoth. 

At Sand Valley, I can’t remember the exact holes number…it’s a downhill, short par 4. Down hill to the left. Maybe 16. Don’t go straight at the green, play it out right, and let the slope bring it in. 😁👍

• Like 1

They might be booked up but staying at Erin Hills has always been the highlight of every wisconsin trip I've done.  If you stay there they have a short kettle loop of like 5 holes you can do in the evenings and also the putting course stays open until like 10.  I've walked 36 at Sand Valley and it's no easy task. If you want to sit down to eat at Sand Valley they really only have a BBQ shack and a nicer restaurant.  The bar will have a bar food menu but we also just went up to Craigs porch because you can't beat the dollar tacos all day.  Craigs porch is probably the best deal in golf.  Spotted cows are great but also try the moon man. Overall it's tough to beat this trip lineup though. If you don't end up staying at Erin Hills Milwaukee is pretty much a short drive in and you can find cheaper lodging there. I think it's only about 45 minutes and the area around Erin Hills is pretty remote.

• Like 1

Agree with trying to stay at Erin Hills.  Really cool accommodations.   Putting course is sweet.  Not much around EH.  My uncle lives in Hartland which is about 20 min away.  Neat little town that probably has a hotel or airbnb.  Might be one of the closest towns with restaurants/bars.  Check out Beer Snobs for beer & bar food.  There is also a decent steakhouse.

FYI Erin Hills is a HIKE.  Every tee box is on top of a hill and the trail up the hill is sandy.  You will be exhausted after 18.

I went to SV when it was just SV and MD.  I preferred MD over SV, but both are fun.  I generally am not a par 3 fan.  Would rather play 9 than 18 (err 17).  Sandbox is actually hard.  Awkward distances to impossible greens.  Dining at SV is pretty good.  No reason to go offsite.  Nothing around anyway.

If you are a tennis player SV has grass courts.  Don't need to lug your stuff but really fun to go out and hit for 30 minutes.  

Always a good time to tell my favorite caddy story.  At EH I was walking 50 ft behind my caddy and noticed he dropped a towel.  I picked it up and handed it to him on the next tee.  He looked at me horrified.  "Don't ever pick up a towel that you are not 100% sure is yours.  It may be abandoned for a reason".  When a caddy tells you something is gross, listen.  He then went on to describe some very colorful stories of the demise of many a towel.  Life lesson learned.

Also - Body Glide is your friend.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewGuy412 said:

Hey all.

Me and 3 other buddies just finalized plans for our September trip to Sand Valley and I wanted to get some advice on do's or don'ts, tip amounts for caddies, place to stay/eat near Erin Hills, etc. We are driving from Pittsburgh, its roughly 10 hours for us but there's 4 competent drivers that we will all share turns. Planning it it ends up easier to not deal with the travel luggage flying, rental car to fit us all, bringing home souvenirs or delicious Spotted Cow beer or delays. Our current plan is below:

• Wednesday, September 18th: leave Pittsburgh and drive to Erin Hills area
    • I would like a hotel or town recommendation for around Erin Hills with something decent nearby for dinner/drinks. We will be coming in after driving all day and have no golf planned this day but we currently do not have a hotel booked for this evening.
  • Thursday, September 19th: 10:16am tee time at Erin Hills, head to Sand Valley resort afterwards (Sand Valley rooms booked 19th-22nd)
  • Friday, September 20th: 7:30am tee time at Sedge Valley, 1:25pm tee time at Mammoth Dunes
  • Saturday, September 21st: 7:30am tee time at Sand Valley, 2:06pm tee time at The Sandbox
  • Sunday, September 22nd: 11:30am tee time at Lido, make the journey home afterwards and stop somewhere halfway

I think we are going to be exhausted but we are all excited for now. I do not think we will enjoy Mammoth to the fullest after coming off of the newly opened Sedge, the Sandbox the next day will be a nice fun break even if its after Sand Valley. I don't think we can move tee times around, pretty much everything is as is and I think its a busy time there in September. But any recommendations for anything would help us, its all our first time there and just counting down the days!

NewGuy, thats a hell of a trip and excited for you. I live 10 mins away from Erin Hills, you can crash at our place ha. 

As far as drinks/dinner, you are in the middle of Lake Country so I'd suggest hanging out by the lake. Oconomowoc/Fowler lake has an awesome Italian place with the best food around in Lago Su Bella, right on the water. North 48 is the best bar in town with upper end cocktails, awesome bourbon/whisky selection and often will have live music albeit not sure on a Wed night.. A few minutes down the road you have Okauchee lake with Foolery's & Smoke on the Water, awesome food/drinks and everyone with pontoon/ski boats will dock their boats on the pier to go in for some drinks too which makes the vibe. A bit closer to Erin and in a towny spot is Kim's Gourmet Pizza, the spicy pepperoni is the best thing on the menu. Any other questions let me know! 

• Like 1

@NewGuy412 I can’t comment on the Erin hills portion but you guys will have a blast at Sand Valley. It doesn’t look like you’re on any sort of schedule for your travel day but plan on traffic and check for alternative ways as you approach Chicago. 

I’m not quite sure what you mean by saying you don’t think you will enjoy Mammoth to the fullest after playing Sedge. I actually think Mammoth is the perfect second course of the day because it’s fairly stress free. If you are use to walking, both Sand Valley and Mammoth are pretty easy walks. 

Caddies, they have 2 types, Junior and “pro.” If your person is double bagging then 95% of the time it’ll be a “pro.” They’re older and more experienced, not necessarily better. Last summer we were told junior minimum $100 and pro minimum $140. My jr caddie said his average is $120-125 and was happy with $140. All payments are cash made to the caddie. (This is based on 2023 and could change for next year. Talk to the guys in the shop or ask the caddie directly.) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

@NewGuy412 I can’t comment on the Erin hills portion but you guys will have a blast at Sand Valley. It doesn’t look like you’re on any sort of schedule for your travel day but plan on traffic and check for alternative ways as you approach Chicago. 

I’m not quite sure what you mean by saying you don’t think you will enjoy Mammoth to the fullest after playing Sedge. I actually think Mammoth is the perfect second course of the day because it’s fairly stress free. If you are use to walking, both Sand Valley and Mammoth are pretty easy walks. 

Caddies, they have 2 types, Junior and “pro.” If your person is double bagging then 95% of the time it’ll be a “pro.” They’re older and more experienced, not necessarily better. Last summer we were told junior minimum $100 and pro minimum $140. My jr caddie said his average is $120-125 and was happy with $140. All payments are cash made to the caddie. (This is based on 2023 and could change for next year. Talk to the guys in the shop or ask the caddie directly.) 

I assume you mean that the minimum tip is $40 then? Since the caddie fee is $100

34 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

I assume you mean that the minimum tip is $40 then? Since the caddie fee is $100

34 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

When I called to set up my caddie I was told pro minimum is $140. Jr minimum is $100. Maybe they included the tip in that number? No clue. 

To make it even less clear, the back of their scorecards say caddie fee is $100 a bag and then adjust for level of service. (To me this makes the most sense and is easiest. Also suggests that players should give more for good service.) 

34 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

When I called to set up my caddie I was told pro minimum is $140. Jr minimum is $100. Maybe they included the tip in that number? No clue. 

To make it even less clear, the back of their scorecards say caddie fee is $100 a bag and then adjust for level of service. (To me this makes the most sense and is easiest. Also suggests that players should give more for good service.) 

We actually had an issue when we were up there. Scorecards say 100 website says 100 tipped 100 and the caddie was rude and upset about it. To be fair we would have tipped more but that caddie was a bit of a jerk. Unwanted comments, not super helpful, at one point asked if he could change our music, the list goes on.

Edited by Drwoods2017

14 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

We actually had an issue when we were up there. Scorecards say 100 website says 100 tipped 100 and the caddie was rude and upset about it. To be fair we would have tipped more but that caddie was a bit of a jerk. Unwanted comments, not super helpful, at one point asked if he could change our music, the list goes on.

Sounds like you paid to much

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drwoods2017 said:

You tipped $100 on top of the $100 fee? Or you paid $100 and tipped $0?

Also, could you share his name so we can avoid him if possible?

Edited by The Milkman
  • Like 1

Appreciate all the replies and help so far! I'll do some more research about the caddie fees, look into staying at Erin Hills, Milwaukee or the other stated towns. 

@StudentGolfer4 I think I was just referring to a long day of driving before Erin, playing Erin and being elated about that and then playing Sedge would take away all the feels for Mammoth instead of just playing Mammoth by itself or first. Either way we are going to be stoked about it! Also, I'm thinking the caddie fee is the flat fee plus you tip? Like if its $100 caddie fee you pay them that plus X tip on top?

Edited by NewGuy412
  • Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 8:39 PM, NewGuy412 said:

Me... just finalized plans for our September trip to Sand Valley...

I'm also booked at Sand Valley. Will be there one week before you. We got our tee time on Sedge yesterday. Amazing how fast it's getting filled up. We included Mammoth on our itinerary so are playing all the SV courses. After SV we are playing the Links at Lawsonia. 

• Like 1

Gonna follow along on this thread as my wife and I have SV booked for August. It's part 1 of a trip that includes Erin Hills and a stay at Whistling Straits. 

We only have Sand Valley and Mammoth booked for golf. When I was on the phone with them last July booking it, I can't remember if it was Lido or Sedge that I asked about, but they told me booking was very limited. We're only at SV for a couple days, and with all the golf coming up after that I decided not to try and cram in more. 20 years ago the younger body could have handled it. Not so much these days. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

6 hours ago, Roody said:

Gonna follow along on this thread as my wife and I have SV booked for August. It's part 1 of a trip that includes Erin Hills and a stay at Whistling Straits. 

We only have Sand Valley and Mammoth booked for golf. When I was on the phone with them last July booking it, I can't remember if it was Lido or Sedge that I asked about, but they told me booking was very limited. We're only at SV for a couple days, and with all the golf coming up after that I decided not to try and cram in more. 20 years ago the younger body could have handled it. Not so much these days. 

When you were booking last July it was Lido that had limited availability. They just started accepting reservations for Sedge this week (for tee times starting  in July).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roody said:

I’m bummed we can’t fit Whistling Straits in but it just doesn’t work out with the planning and the work schedules. We will have to let each other know how the trips go!

21 hours ago, sabram said:

I'm also booked at Sand Valley. Will be there one week before you. We got our tee time on Sedge yesterday. Amazing how fast it's getting filled up. We included Mammoth on our itinerary so are playing all the SV courses. After SV we are playing the Links at Lawsonia. 

When is your visit to Sv and Lawsonia?  We are at SV Sept 12/13 (SV, Mammoth and now as of yesterday Sedge). Play Erin Hills 15th and Lawsonia 16th. 

10 hours ago, NewGuy412 said:

I’m bummed we can’t fit Whistling Straits in but it just doesn’t work out with the planning and the work schedules. We will have to let each other know how the trips go!

Absolutely! I am positive we're gonna love the place. I keep hearing so many good things about it. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

On 1/17/2024 at 4:28 PM, The Milkman said:

You tipped $100 on top of the $100 fee? Or you paid $100 and tipped $0?

Also, could you share his name so we can avoid him if possible?

No he was paid the 100 dollar fee per player with no extra tip. But I think here is what confuses people on that. The scorecard says if you're satisfied the base rate is 100 dollars then that's all you need to pay for "a job well done". If your caddie went above and beyond tip extra. Feels like somewhere along the way that expectation changed to at least 100 dollars then extra is expected.

Edited by Drwoods2017

Scorecard aside, I think $100 with no tip is usually considered an insult but sounds like your experience may have justified no tip.

I have no experience at Sand Valley but have a trip planned for September and will use my normal caddie payment from past Bandon trips, $100 bag fee plus somewhere between $40-$60 as a tip with maybe a small bonus on my last round if the service was great.

36 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

Scorecard aside, I think $100 with no tip is usually considered an insult but sounds like your experience may have justified no tip.

I have no experience at Sand Valley but have a trip planned for September and will use my normal caddie payment from past Bandon trips, $100 bag fee plus somewhere between $40-$60 as a tip with maybe a small bonus on my last round if the service was great.

Agreed, always a tip of at least $40-50 unless your experience was awful. I tipped my caddie at Pebble $100(on top of the fee), and I played in a group at Sand Valley where the caddie should have paid me $100.  No knowledge of the game, constantly said good shot on shots that were really bad, and was all around an annoying a**.  Then the player, who I didn't know, who he caddied for had the gall to ask me to throw in money for a tip on the walk up 18.  Reflecting back, maybe that's why I am not a huge Sand Valley fan, hoping to change that this Spring. 

Edited by eboettne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jrg75 said:

Everyone else did tip the additional amount. Some people had never taken a caddie before so the scorecard was what they went off of.  

53 minutes ago, eboettne said:

Agreed, always a tip of at least $40-50 unless your experience was awful. I tipped my caddie at Pebble $100(on top of the fee), and I played in a group at Sand Valley where the caddie should have paid me $100.  No knowledge of the game, constantly said good shot on shots that were really bad, and was all around an annoying a**.  Then the player, who I didn't know, who he caddied for had the gall to ask me to throw in money for a tip on the walk up 18.  Reflecting back, maybe that's why I am not a huge Sand Valley fan, hoping to change that this Spring. 

Always curious, why is 40 to 50 percent tip the way to go with caddies but no other service?

• Like 1

I tipped $50 on top of the fee. I gave $20 to a caddie who helped me even though he was carrying someone else's bag. I played Sand Valley twice, Mammoth Dunes twice, and Sandbox once. Sedge and Lido weren't available, but the caddies and the superintendent were all praising Lido. 

Sandbox was fun but I could have skipped it. Should be able to finish in two hours or less. I recommend playing that on Thursday when you arrive if time permits and getting in a second full round on Saturday if possible (and if your bodies can take it 😅). But your itin is solid.

SV is tighter, MD is more open and majestic. Both were fun but I marginally prefer MD. I happened to also have my personal best round at MD so I might be biased 😀

For food, I'd eat at Aldo's every night, good and big midwestern portions. The BBQ place is just OK, the pub is standard pub fare. Make sure you get your fill at the shacks on the course, they have Masters pricing (everything is around $1, even the dogs, tacos, and Italian beefs)

Edited by geesecougar2

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

12 minutes ago, srs06d said:

Could the confusion possibly be that "plus gratuity" is ambiguous?

Agreed on this point. A casual golfer can read that as "I have to pay the caddie $100 directly AND add a tip?" Then the question of how much is a proper tip when the caddie is getting 100% of the fee...if I throw $10 on top is that insulting? $20? $30? Do I do the 50% tip thing like someone mentioned, add $50 and now I look like a high roller just throwing cash around? Then there's the places like Erin hills that have the $55 caddie fee and recommend $75 as the minimum gratuity. Is the caddie seeing any of that $55? Do I need to tip him $100 ($75 + $25) so that he's up to the "minimum wage" for a caddie anywhere else? Do I need to tip him more than $100 so that he gets an even $100 plus tip like anywhere else (effectively putting me out $55 + $100 + $xx tip)?

All that said, my rule of thumb is the caddie should walk away with a minimum of $100 cash in their pocket after bagging for me. In the Erin Hills scenario, that means I'm giving them a $100 bill at the end of the round (and effectively paying $155 for a caddie there). At a place like Sand Valley where the cash goes entirely to the caddie then I revert back to normal tipping rules: $100 plus 20% baseline gratuity. I adjust the 20% up or down depending on service/knowledge/advice given on the course.

Side note: I'm doing this whole trip in July: Erin Hills, Lido, Mammoth, Sand Valley, Sedge, Sandbox, Lawsonia Links, Whistling Straits, Blackwolf River Run. Only 36 hole days will be at Sand Valley, as they had limited availability for overnights and we could only book one night.

• Like 1

[sign here]