2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

LAB DF3 Order is in!

Nelson.br.1515

24 minutes ago, mstuewe said:

but do we know the graphite shafts are really better?  where are the independent tests?  I know TXG did one back in the day for the stability shaft, but I havent seen a good test since.  there was one on YouTube that used 3 different shafts as a test, but they also used 3 different heads LOL. 

do we really know the TPT or the Accra shafts are more stable and will deliver tighter dispersion of our shots?

Last year, I did my own independent test between a stock shaft, stroke lab shaft, UST All In Shaft and the BGT fire using the same Odyssey seven head, 33” length on a quintic setup from 10 feet away. 

On the quintic, the BGT had less skid, better roll and more precise start line than the other ones.  It won every category.  The UST All In shaft was last place, but to be transparent, the head on the UST putter was 1.5* more loft than the other 3 due to manufacturing tolerances by Odyssey.

On the course, the BGT shafts I’ve tried are more consistent on lag putts, however, it’s anecdotal as I do not have precise stats stratified in my Arccos based on putter shaft.  

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

3 hours ago, mstuewe said:

but do we know the graphite shafts are really better?  where are the independent tests?  I know TXG did one back in the day for the stability shaft, but I havent seen a good test since.  there was one on YouTube that used 3 different shafts as a test, but they also used 3 different heads LOL. 

do we really know the TPT or the Accra shafts are more stable and will deliver tighter dispersion of our shots?

Honestly if you’re this skeptical sounds like there’s nothing really to be said. I mean some of the best players use it some don’t. Guess it just comes down to a choice 

6 minutes ago, txbadger said:

I like to think I live in the land of being able to review data and change my opinion accordingly.    I have heard Sam talk about the perfection (my word, not necessarily his) on the TPT shaft, and more broadly how much better the graphite shaft is than steel in putters.    I can take the latter comment and think.. ok.. I'll upgrade to the Accra shaft for $100 and have a graphite shaft (which is what I did in my custom DF3 order...which gets here tomorrow).    In the meantime I have a stock DF3 with the steel shaft that I am rolling better puts than I ever have before. 

What is hard to mentally overcome is that this isn't a driver head moving 115 mph where it makes more sense to me that subtle shaft tendencies make a big difference.   This is a putter stroke and as such hard to believe that such subtleties make a difference.    Easy to believe there is a feel difference between an Accra and a TPT, just harder to stomach that objectively there is.    Now I have heard that there is robot data to prove out that there is a difference but I have not seen that data myself. 

Just some ramblings from someone who is debating the same question.   Having said that a TPT will be in my custom DF3 broom order. 

Excellent points. I went with a counterbalance and I tossed back and forth with if the grip covering the majoring of the shaft would negate a reason to get the upgrade. Broom it’s so long it makes the most sense to get the TPT in my brain because of the length. 

That also being said I also caved and got the TPT in mine because of the heavy head thought the extra stability would be better. 

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 7:46 PM, sun said:

How are orders shipping for others? I ordered on February 12th. Custom build, but nothing special. Heavier head, platinum finish and steel shaft. It went into production on February 20th. It's been 13 days, but it sounds as though folks were getting theirs shipped after 8-9 days of production. 

Quick update here. I'm on my 16th day of production, including weekends without being shipped yet. It does seem as though the platinum finish is the item that's taking the longest here. 

***Mine finally shipped on March 8th, so ~17 days of production. 

Edited by sun

Anyone actually able to try the different shaft offerings?

I have read some reviews of people justifying a $400 shaft loving the TPT shaft, but not too much about steel vs. Accra.

I have a BGT shaft on a putter that I never liked the feel of - not sure if it was the head or the shaft - and I have always played with a stock steel shaft on my gamer. One thing that I did not like about the stock lab putters that I tried in the past is that they felt light to me - seems like the reviews form the DF3 is that has a slightly heavier feel.

Any insight would be much appreciated and sorry for all the shaft talk. 

Edited by FlashinLeather
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mixedbag2 said:

FYI- I ordered the stock DF3 on 3/3 and was just notified it is built and shipping today. Much quicker turn around than I expected. 

What are your specs for color, head weight, and shaft selection?

I did a online fitting a few days ago and still waiting on the results. Seems like the black head with the big or small T alignment has the quickest turn around time.

1 hour ago, FlashinLeather said:

I have read some reviews of people justifying a $400 shaft loving the TPT shaft, but not too much about steel vs. Accra.

I have a BGT shaft on a putter that I never liked the feel of - not sure if it was the head or the shaft - and I have always played with a stock steel shaft on my gamer. One thing that I did not like about the stock lab putters that I tried in the past is that they felt light to me - seems like the reviews form the DF3 is that has a slightly heavier feel.

I'll be able to give you my first impressions sometime tomorrow assuming FedEx does its part and delivers my custom DF3 tomorrow (which has an Accra shaft).    As mentioned above, I have a stock DF3 (steel shaft) now that have a very high opinion of.     I'll give my first impressions here.

Edited by txbadger
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, manVSgolf said:

I have posted my feelings on this in a few places, and I apologize to those who are re-reading my thoughts:

I have waaay too many LABs, and I have broomsticks and standards with all of the various shafts.  My verdict:

The TPT is incredible.  The feedback is unparalleled - you can feel where exactly on the face you strike the ball, while maintaining excellent results on mis-hits.  I agree with LAB’s description of it being the best putter shaft ever made.  It’s so, so damn good.  

LA Golf appears to be discontinued with LAB, which is honestly better for the consumer - for the same price, the TPT is better.  It feels really good but more lifeless than the TPT.  It performs great.  It’s a great shaft, just not as good as the TPT.

The BGT is the stiffest and the harshest/most solid (but not in a bad way).  It is my personal runner-up to the TPT.   Again, results are consistent on mid-hits.  I have not yet tried the BGT One, just the 2-pieces.

The Accra feels soft and doesn’t offer much feedback, but again it performs great.  It’s an awesome upgrade (especially on broomsticks/arm locks) for $100.  But when I hit a TPT VS an Accra, the difference in feedback is insane.  I WILL say that it’s nuts how soft a block of aluminum can feel when attached to a an Accra - it puts polymer inserts to shame.  If you want a soft-feeling putter, look no further.  

This is great. Sorry if I missed it on this thread or another. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, manVSgolf said:

I have posted my feelings on this in a few places, and I apologize to those who are re-reading my thoughts:

I have waaay too many LABs, and I have broomsticks and standards with all of the various shafts.  My verdict:

The TPT is incredible.  The feedback is unparalleled - you can feel where exactly on the face you strike the ball, while maintaining excellent results on mis-hits.  I agree with LAB’s description of it being the best putter shaft ever made.  It’s so, so damn good.  

LA Golf appears to be discontinued with LAB, which is honestly better for the consumer - for the same price, the TPT is better.  It feels really good but more lifeless than the TPT.  It performs great.  It’s a great shaft, just not as good as the TPT.

The BGT is the stiffest and the harshest/most solid (but not in a bad way).  It is my personal runner-up to the TPT.   Again, results are consistent on mid-hits.  I have not yet tried the BGT One, just the 2-pieces.

The Accra feels soft and doesn’t offer much feedback, but again it performs great.  It’s an awesome upgrade (especially on broomsticks/arm locks) for $100.  But when I hit a TPT VS an Accra, the difference in feedback is insane.  I WILL say that it’s nuts how soft a block of aluminum can feel when attached to a an Accra - it puts polymer inserts to shame.  If you want a soft-feeling putter, look no further.  

I think what is missing here is the comparison to steel, but maybe a steel shaft in a LAB isn't bougie enough for you :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FlashinLeather said:

I was thinking LAB may chip in - but they have a page devoted to the TPT shaft:-

https://labgolf.com/labgolf-by-tpt-golf-putter-shaft/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA6KWvBhAREiwAFPZM7i1zetqVtRc_c70kuMelBPv_N-nlT_fIQ8CExNH2Rk4LW2LBY13YAxoC2jwQAvD_BwE

"Most putter shafts are not that round and not that straight. It’s not a huge deal, but it was becoming a big problem for us. 

Some months, we’ve trashed 100 putter shafts or more because they weren’t round enough or straight enough to create Lie Angle Balance. A lot of waste and hassle. 

We knew there had to be a better way, and what we learned is that it’s actually really hard to create a perfectly round and straight shaft. So we scoured the industry for a company that could do it, and we found one in Switzerland. 

TPT Golf has the best process (and maybe the only process) to ensure its shafts are perfectly round and straight… every single time. So we teamed up with TPT with the goal of creating the highest quality putter shafts in the world and ones that would solve our problem. "

"TPT’s process of building a shaft is pretty out there. 

Most shafts are made by hand from multiple sheets of carbon fiber. There are overlaps and seams in this process, which is why things like “shaft puring” exist. 

TPT uses automated machines that continuously wind a single strip of carbon fiber in such a way that there are no overlaps or seams in its shafts. The fiber is applied so that every fiber angle is “on-axis,” which means every fiber is working together in harmony. 

It’s essentially a one-piece construction, and you can tell by the way it moves and feels."

Edited by coops

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

2 hours ago, manVSgolf said:

Thanks for the input.  I am always skeptical of companies have upsell items with their products where they own the distribution/production the add-on.  It either is an incredible value or a way to pad the product's margins.  It is good to see that this sounds like the former.  

I would love to try the TPT but i have yet to see these in any store, let alone with the upgraded shaft.  

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

3 minutes ago, BYK said:

in general, for those of you who have been virtual fit by lab, is it different than your normal specs?

considering that the main spec that I had been concerned with was length, it was basically identical to what I normally gravitate to (in my video I sent them I was using a 35" putter and they recommended the same).   I actually ordered 34.5" as I have had putters in both 34" and 35".      They recommended 70 degree lie and I have no idea what the lie was of other putters I have used.    

The virtual fit (at least mine) didn't recommend anything beyond length and lie. 

Just now, txbadger said:

considering that the main spec that I had been concerned with was length, it was basically identical to what I normally gravitate to (in my video I sent them I was using a 35" putter and they recommended the same).   I actually ordered 34.5" as I have had putters in both 34" and 35".      They recommended 70 degree lie and I have no idea what the lie was of other putters I have used.    

The virtual fit (at least mine) didn't recommend anything beyond length and lie. 

Yah that’s all I was interested in 

Just trying to resist yet another rabbit hole 

haven’t really been impressed when I try them out in the store, but maybe cause they’re just stock, they’re not quite right for me 

starting to see quite a few in the FS section too so maybe I’ll grab one at some point. 

Yadi for President

58 minutes ago, BYK said:

Yah that’s all I was interested in 

Just trying to resist yet another rabbit hole 

haven’t really been impressed when I try them out in the store, but maybe cause they’re just stock, they’re not quite right for me 

starting to see quite a few in the FS section too so maybe I’ll grab one at some point. 

Seems like the BST is about to be a buzz with DF3s

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BYK said:

question for all you lab guys

in general, for those of you who have been virtual fit by lab, is it different than your normal specs?

Mine was different. I've always been a very upright putter, both of my PXG putters are at 75*.

I bought (and received) a LAB DF 3 putter. Ordered at 35" and 75* lie angle, been using it for about 10 days now and putt really good with it.

I was lucky enough to be one of the ones picked to do a review. AFTER I bought my DF 3 I found out there was a starter at my club who is a LAB Rep.

So I met up with him and we spent about 30 minutes putting with the adjustable LAB Putter. Turns out I putt even better with a 35" length and 71* lie. So that's what I am getting with the one that I won.

This could be attributed to the LAB being a center shafted putter.

My PXG's are heel shafted.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

7 hours ago, jola said:

I don't understand why it's a custom order if I wanted The DF3  in 33 inches.I see stock is 34 or 35 inches but all I want is a 33 inch putter.Thats considered  custom?????  and a $110.00dollar upcharge..Don't get it.

What about 32, 31, 30?  At some point things are not what the general population wants and are outside what the production line is set up for.  Cutting shafts, weighting heads, etc.

10 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

Mine was different. I've always been a very upright putter, both of my PXG putters are at 75*.

I bought (and received) a LAB DF 3 putter. Ordered at 35" and 75* lie angle, been using it for about 10 days now and putt really good with it.

I was lucky enough to be one of the ones picked to do a review. AFTER I bought my DF 3 I found out there was a starter at my club who is a LAB Rep.

So I met up with him and we spent about 30 minutes putting with the adjustable LAB Putter. Turns out I putt even better with a 35" length and 71* lie. So that's what I am getting with the one that I won.

This could be attributed to the LAB being a center shafted putter.

My PXG's are heel shafted.

This is exactly what I'm hesitant to order based on my virtual fitting.  How did you find the LAB rep and any insight how I can find a fitter with the adjustable putter?

22 minutes ago, all4isu said:

This is exactly what I'm hesitant to order based on my virtual fitting.  How did you find the LAB rep and any insight how I can find a fitter with the adjustable putter?

I assume the virtual fitting your talking about is when you send your video into LAB. From what I have read on here their recommendations have been pretty much spot with everyone. They know what they are doing for sure.

As far as finding a LAB rep I just got lucky that there was one at my club. I don't know how updated it is but you can go to their website and click on "fitting" at the top. Then "Lab locator" then put in your zip code. It will pull up locations in your area.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Isn't the virtual fitting handicapped by the putter you are using in the video? 

I did an in-person fitting with the adjustable putter that fit me into a 77° putter, and I was concerned it was so upright, so I submitted a video for virtual fitting as well. They virtually fit me into a 71° putter. I'm just trying to reconcile these two fittings and best I can come up with is that my stance changes with a different lie putter in order to make it sit flat at address. So now I'm even more confused but leaning towards the upright putter since it felt good in-person. 

I'm just not sure how accurate they can be when most people are probably using a standard lie putter in their fitting videos. Curious what everyone thinks.

5 minutes ago, vreek said:

I did an in-person fitting with the adjustable putter that fit me into a 77° putter, and I was concerned it was so upright, so I submitted a video for virtual fitting as well. They virtually fit me into a 71° putter. I'm just trying to reconcile these two fittings and best I can come up with is that my stance changes with a different lie putter in order to make it sit flat at address. So now I'm even more confused but leaning towards the upright putter since it felt good in-person. 

I'm just not sure how accurate they can be when most people are probably using a standard lie putter in their fitting videos. Curious what everyone thinks.

I would say that is accurate. I submitted a video of me using a DF3 stock at GG, and they recommended the same length (35 inches) but with a 68 degree lie angle. Now, I also said that I felt as if it should be more upright (say 71-73 lie angle), but due to using the DF3, the putter kind of forces you into a specific stance.

With that being said, he asked for me to send him another video, but using a different putter; I'll be doing that this weekend. I would say, set up with your putter how your comfortable, even if the toe or head is completely off the ground. Don't force your stance based on grounding the putter. It seems like others had a similar experience based on what I've read. 

6 minutes ago, vreek said:

when I got my Mezz max, I was virtually fit into a 36.5” 74 degree lie.

I was using a Sik pro c in the video that was 36” long and a 75 degree lie angle.  I never putted well with the Mezz and it always felt too upright.

I have a link now that is 36.5” and a 69 degree lie that I putt much better with…

Just my experience.  I didn’t get the opportunity to do an in person fitting.  For me, I’d trust an in person fitting over a virtual one every time.

14 hours ago, jola said:

I don't understand why it's a custom order if I wanted The DF3  in 33 inches.I see stock is 34 or 35 inches but all I want is a 33 inch putter.Thats considered  custom?????  and a $110.00dollar upcharge..Don't get it.

I agree. I asked them about it and they are actually going to limit the options to just a 35". Other companies have a small range of ones to choose from. I ended up going custom, so I did more custom stuff that I didn't really need, but my previous Mezz Max was an off the shelf 33". 

11 minutes ago, sun said:

I agree. I asked them about it and they are actually going to limit the options to just a 35". Other companies have a small range of ones to choose from. I ended up going custom, so I did more custom stuff that I didn't really need, but my previous Mezz Max was an off the shelf 33". 

I can understand the frustration, but I'm not sure it makes sense to compare LAB to other companies offering putters.   From what I heard (if @labgolf wants to chime in here to confirm/correct, that would be great), the "stock" option is somewhat of a quick way to get the product out without much deviation from a standard (a couple length options with a couple lie options).   I would think this can only be done if the variables (length/lie/grip/shaft/etc...) are limited.    Even then its not like they can throw together a 34"/69 degree/pistol/steel putter together and not do the testing and fine tuning they need to do to make it lie angle balanced.    One might think that if all the stats are the identical (same head, weights, shaft, grip) that it shouldn't be that hard but variables in one steel shaft to another might have enough variance to make a difference. 

Not shocking they are going to limit to a 35".. and tbh I'm a little surprised they even offer a "stock" option given the options/variables one can change.