Full Swing season 2 (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)

jdl

28 minutes ago, RCGA said:
  • None of these guys seem likeable (besides Rickie) 
  • Not sure why Joel Dahmen has fans. Doesn't work hard and sucks because of it. 
  • Nothing against Tom Kim, but there was not enough there to carry a full episode 
  • Matt and Alex Fitzpatrick is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for content  

I feel bad for Tom, he seems incredibly lonely. Also, I kept laughing when they were saying what a big personality he is 😅

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RCGA said:
  • Nothing against Tom Kim, but there was not enough there to carry a full episode 
  • Matt and Alex Fitzpatrick is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for content  

-Agreed on a decent amount these guys not seeming interesting. I mean, they're just really good at golf, and people (PGA tour, sponsors, agents, media, coporations) are trying to make them seem interesting and personable, but some just can't do it. Take Spieth for example, seems like a nice guy nothing against him, but why would you explain to someone that he's some to watch right now? He doesn't have a big personality, he was at his best close to a decade ago, and he's one of the main guys. Same with JT in way, just seems like he's trying to hard to be something he's not. 

-Some of the Ryder Guy Europe guys seemed okay, Rose and Luke seemed like I would least be okay if they were my neighbors. Same with Keegan. 

-Some of the wives were funny, like tough in cheek. Idk, but Luke Donald's wife just seemed like she wanted to come out and say "it's just golf, no big deal". Being a wife does have to be a somewhat weird experience, sure some of them are probably jersey chasers, but they probably think, we have all this money and are set for life, but my husband's upset his putts weren't going in how he wanted. As a golfer we get it though.

- Agree on Joel, I think in some ways he's like a poor man's John Daly and that's the appeal. 

15 hours ago, RCGA said:

Joel has fans because of season 1. From what I remember he had a pretty touching story and seemed like an everyday guy who made it on tour.

• Like 2

I found ep 1 a bit of a struggle tbh.  Rory is an interesting character whether you like him or not - but not much else popped out, and although the politics is a huge story, going over and over it doesn't make for great viewing. Ultimately there just wasn't enough golf shown, and when it was shown, it was weirdly one-sided, e.g. not showing a second of Hovland's play in the duel with Koepka at the PGA and almost nothing of Rahm at the Masters (for obvious reasons) so no sense of the way he ground Koepka down in the final round.

I suppose we got the footage of Thomas "thanking" Mito Pereira in his PGA dinner speech... seems it is possible to be a graceless, charmless, ungentlemanly bad winner.

cringescrunch.gif

Edited by ColinKelvin
  • Like 3
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

On 3/11/2024 at 9:16 AM, kmbean said:

Yeah that JT speech at the PGA champions dinner thanking Mito for last year’s collapse was pretty off-putting.

I was laughing at most of the ZJ footage.  Him having his wife sitting next to him validating “you did a good job honey” as he made the RC calls seems like a very ZJ move.

JT to me seems like a guy who thinks he's really cool/smooth, but just comes off as really annoying. Sometimes I think he gets a big head from being around Tiger, almost as if its some validation. TBH, Tiger is probably not that cool a guy in real life, not that that matters, but JT seems to play a little more into that. 

ZJ is interesting. You can kind of see why he and JT (J tizzle?) hangout, in a sense along with almost everyone on tour, you have to suspense belief in a way to think you can make it to the tour. So they kind of have that same attitude. 

Edited by Ironman_32
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 9:09 AM, jmcm87 said:

Same. Now a fan of Bradley. 

Seems like a genuinely good guy. A few comments he made you can definitely tell he works for everything, maybe not as blessed with the natural gift as some others. Also, wearing his USA cap in the RC episode. You could tell he was hurting, felt for him. 

On 3/8/2024 at 10:27 AM, NetBogey said:

I agree, it made me feel bad for Keegan. 

also, made me dislike Zach Johnson even more, and I really didn’t know that was possible. It affirmed the rumors that he may have picked his friends over the best person who had the best chances to perform

well. 

Even though I knew the outcome, I felt bad for Keegan as well. ZJ came off bad to me and not just the boys club part.

On 3/8/2024 at 10:46 PM, AdExec said:

Season started off awesome. Then they dropped the ball so fing bad it was pointless. 

where was the tpc WM footage or the Michael block footage? So many big moments missed. 

I did like capturing some Rory and JT mild breakdowns and Brooks return to form. Cool Rickie moments too. Solid 6/10 overall. 

I saw Block in the background when Koepka got his trophy. That was all the screen time he needed.

• Like 3

After watching the RyderCup episodes, the European team, including their captain,came off as much more likable. The lack of preparation, and the five weeks off for most of the USA guys was not mentioned enough. The USA showing their disappointment after losing seemed a bit disingenuous after their lack of preparation. It was amazing how much these guys said how much this meant to them, and how unprepared they were.

• Like 3

Oh, Tom Kim and his young innocence and bumbling around was very fun. 

• Like 3

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

3 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Few take aways. 

1. I think Rory is mentally broken. Way worse than I thought and he may never win big again. 

2. Joel D needs to complain less and work harder. 

3. I dislike JT and Zach Johnson even more. 

4. Keegan got boned.. 

5. I think I like Rickie more.. Not sure though.. lol but he was endearing. 

That's a good list.  I think Rory needs to call Windham's sports psychologist to get his brain uncluttered.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RobS said:

That's a good list.  I think Rory needs to call Windham's sports psychologist to get his brain uncluttered.

and start putting left handed or something. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 minutes ago, RobS said:

Tom Kim is fun. lol.. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 3/10/2024 at 6:03 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Had me actually feeling bad for Kegan. 

I was seriously shedding some tears. Felt so bad for him.. 

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, QuigleyDU said:

Tom Kim is fun. lol.. 

I like Kim and was impressed at how he handled the ankle situation to go on and make the cut without being a drama queen.  He seems genuine, even a little naive.  The guy is top 20 in the world with 3 PGA Tour wins and talks as if he's just trying to make it on tour.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RobS said:

Keegan was a guy that sort of irritated me for years.  Just me (mis)judging a book by it's cover.  He seems like a genuinely decent guy and I felt terrible for him getting the shaft on the RC.  Justin Rose was a guy that I've always like and I like him even more after the show.

Same. He is fidgety and seems weird on the course while looking like a jerk. But! in reality, he seems like a really good dude. There is a Bob does sports video out from last year that really changed my opinion. 

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 3

BALL; Chrome Soft X

59 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Same. He is fidgety and seems weird on the course while looking like a jerk. But! in reality, he seems like a really good dude. There is a Bob does sports video out from last year that really changed my opinion. 

From second hand accounts, I think Keegan got that impression when he was younger on tour. Winning a major and the Ryder cup may have gotten to his head a little. Having a family and stuff maybe mellowed him out somewhat. 

Judging a book by its cover, he seems to me one of those guys whose day/week depends on whether his favorite sport team wins or not. 

8 hours ago, kmbean said:

Yeah that JT speech at the PGA champions dinner thanking Mito for last year’s collapse was pretty off-putting.

I was laughing at most of the ZJ footage.  Him having his wife sitting next to him validating “you did a good job honey” as he made the RC calls seems like a very ZJ move.

JT, man. Where do I start with this guy? Someone I thought used to be okay and a lot of people disliked him, I didnt get it. Now I do. The whole thing when he got cancelled essentially for saying slurs by the hot mic, then tried to play it off as an innocent mistake, not buying it. He is that guy. Way too many F bombs in this Netflix series, just generally acting douchey. Tiger I think also kind of acts like this, so it's not surprising since they are boys. 

What I really dont understand at all, I didnt check the rating for this show on Netflix but if you're making a golf "documentary", you would think bleep out or get rid of the over the top swearing. Dropping a "WTF was that!" from everyone like Morikawa, JT, Rory, etc. just screams amateurism. You want families and kids to get into golf and this is one of the avenues to showcase your sport at the professional level, start acting professional. This was bush league at best. Thought this whole series was a poor look for the PGAT, now they have hired the producers of the show to take on a PGAT backed media company, should be real interesting to see how they mess this up. Classic PGAT move though, these guys couldn't do good press if it was handed to them on a silver platter.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:25 AM, KansasHacker said:

I feel bad for Tom, he seems incredibly lonely. Also, I kept laughing when they were saying what a big personality he is 😅

I'm sure it's tough when everyone your age (at the time) is in college.

The episode portrays him as being out there on his own. Whether that's true or not, he's handled himself exceptionally well. He seems mentally and physically tough. I hope that trend continues.

• Like 1
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

On 3/11/2024 at 5:53 AM, jordan2240 said:

I had thought DJ went about leaving the PGA tour the right way, but now that he's revealed he apparently sees himself as some kind of pioneering risk-taker for taking the 9-figure salary to do little more than show up to play, I'm no longer a fan.  I think he needs to re-asses his definition of "risk".

DJ comes off worse to me than anyone else in the season, and that's a high bar to ascend to. Of the top tier guys who left, I never thought he would be the one most in it for the money.

I'm glad he'll be in the majors for a while.  One of the many reasons I love sports: rooting against is often just as exciting as rooting for. 

• Like 2
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

15 hours ago, jjtour said:

What I really dont understand at all, I didnt check the rating for this show on Netflix but if you're making a golf "documentary", you would think bleep out or get rid of the over the top swearing. Dropping a "WTF was that!" from everyone like Morikawa, JT, Rory, etc. just screams amateurism. You want families and kids to get into golf and this is one of the avenues to showcase your sport at the professional level, start acting professional. This was bush league at best. Thought this whole series was a poor look for the PGAT, now they have hired the producers of the show to take on a PGAT backed media company, should be real interesting to see how they mess this up. Classic PGAT move though, these guys couldn't do good press if it was handed to them on a silver platter.

Its rated TV-MA so if you let your kids watch it - that's very much on you.

In a related story - golfers curse a lot.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash