2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

14 Club Rule

4 hours ago, rzitup said:

In most all of the responses to date, no one has really discussed the premise for my making this post, which is the 14 clubs as it pertains to the "typical" set of clubs, and advancing technology.  

I get the personal preference responses, and those that think they are better with less clubs or there is just no reason to change it.  I have played a handful of rounds with 3, 4 and 5 clubs, and I have never had issues (it eases the brain!).  

But I am struggling to see the correlation between;

1938 - set of clubs was limited to 3-4 woods, 9 irons and a putter.

2024 - 2 - 11 wood, 2 - 9 iron, and a range of maybe 6 wedges?  A putter, some chippers, mini drivers, and more that I am sure I am missing.  

Technology, the length of the game, better course conditions (?) and other stuff have advanced the sport.  And while I personally dont really have a preference, I struggle to see why the max clubs wouldnt be considered archaic given the more options available today?

Your hypothesis couldn't be more wrong.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

14 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

The max 14 club rule is really only a concern for people that play in USGA events.  From what I have seen at munis many people don't give that rule a second thought.  

I can easily play with fewer clubs, don't need more than 14.  Therefore, I would not like it if they were to increase number of clubs.  More clubs would be ludicrous given many people are not efficient with 14.

I played 170 rounds last year, and not a single one of them could I have gotten away with more than 14 clubs.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rzitup said:

Technology, the length of the game, better course conditions (?) and other stuff have advanced the sport.  And while I personally dont really have a preference, I struggle to see why the max clubs wouldnt be considered archaic given the more options available today?

I think having a club limit is inherently asking golfers to make choices and trade-offs in their bag. I think to an extent, having the rule is expressly saying you *don't* get to carry a club for every possible situation. I.e. mini-driver, chipper, lefty club for the rare time when you can't make a swing righty, and who knows what else? If you want one (or multiple) of those clubs, there is inherently a trade-off where you have to eliminate something else if you already have 14 in the bag. 

The very purpose of the rule is to limit golfers. Advances to club technology or increased variety in club type/design/purpose don't, in my opinion, materially change where that limit should be. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I suppose the USGA could be contacted and petitioned to change the rule?  It's just a troll topic on here because we can't do a thing about it no matter how we feel.  Perhaps it's expected this late in the winter, lol.

Plenty of golfers who don't keep an index play as many clubs as they want, 14 is only the rule if you are playing by the USGA rules.  I know people who don't keep score or play by the rules of golf and they still have fun.  YMMV.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

22 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

I suppose the USGA could be contacted and petitioned to change the rule?  It's just a troll topic on here because we can't do a thing about it no matter how we feel.  Perhaps it's expected this late in the winter, lol.

Plenty of golfers who don't keep an index play as many clubs as they want, 14 is only the rule if you are playing by the USGA rules.  I know people who don't keep score or play by the rules of golf and they still have fun.  YMMV.

Of course, Rule changes are made jointly by the USGA and the R&A so that the Rules are common around the globe.  USGA's area is USA and Mexico.  R&A's area is the rest of the world.

Edited by rogolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Strategery said:

Strange take. You can play with less so you don't want folks to play with more. Check who the world revolves around.

It's called competition. Kinda what golf is about. 

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

4 hours ago, Strategery said:

Strange take. You can play with less so you don't want folks to play with more. Check who the world revolves around.

I said: "I can easily play with fewer clubs, don't need more than 14.  Therefore, I would not like it if they were to increase number of clubs.  More clubs would be ludicrous given many people are not efficient with 14."  My guess is: The USGA evolves around those that take the game serious.

I have a right to my opinion.  Doesn't have a damn thing to do with whom the world revolves around.  I doubt they will change the rule to accommodate those people who think more clubs will help them improve.  Hell, plenty of people play with more clubs now, they just can't play in tournaments, nor should they post scores.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Any changes to this rule should be for less, not more clubs.   Golf is already slow enough with people who have to debate for an eternity between two clubs.  I couldn't imagine having to sit through that with three or four options.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Any changes to this rule should be for less, not more clubs.   Golf is already slow enough with people who have to debate for an eternity between two clubs.  I couldn't imagine having to sit through that with three or four options.

I dont for a minute believe that 16 clubs vs 14 will slow down the pace of play.  IN fact it might speed things up.  

• Like 1

Any proposal to revise the number of clubs allowed, seems to me, would be change solely for the sake of change.  I can't see how the game would be "improved" by making a change, either to more or to fewer clubs.  Consequently, I'd be against change simply for a change, and would be absolutely amazed if the Ruling Bodies seriously considered such a change.

• Like 2

Back when I first started to golf I had a neighbor/friend who had a set of only odd numbered irons.  He grew up in Canada and said it was common to buy a half set for beginners.  IIRC they were "Northwestern" and might of come from a gas station?  Hope I remember that one correctly.

Kinda makes sense, beginners are mostly trying to make solid contact and yardages are all over the place. 

Back to the topic I wonder what I would do with two extra slots?  Probably carry a 64* wedge and another driver set up differently than what I have.  Maybe a left handed iron for times I put myself alongside a tree.

There is no way this rule will ever change, I might act on the left handed club idea amongst my 14 club limit.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

38 minutes ago, rzitup said:

I dont for a minute believe that 16 clubs vs 14 will slow down the pace of play.  IN fact it might speed things up.  

It won't slow down those already play fast, in fact to that point the faster players probably won't put more clubs in the bag anyway.  It will make slow golfers slower. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

21 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Back when I first started to golf I had a neighbor/friend who had a set of only odd numbered irons.  He grew up in Canada and said it was common to buy a half set for beginners.  IIRC they were "Northwestern" and might of come from a gas station?  Hope I remember that one correctly.

He may have purchased them from a place that also sold gas, but Northwestern is/was actually one of the best selling brands of golf equipment. Started out selling premium clubs then switched to clubs for the average golfer. 

http://www.mygolfmuseum.com/page116.html

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I play somewhat regularly with 2 guys who both carry 20-25 clubs. Cracks me up. They're both kind of obsessed with buying random clubs at garage sales. They're both total hacks but they have fun and I have fun playing with them so who cares how many clubs they bring. They both tend to carry 2-3-4 drivers, a few random extra irons (for example their main set plus a couple extra 6 irons just because), all kinds of random wedges, 2-3 putters. Last time I played with one of them, he had 2 chippers in the bag!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joeconn said:

I play somewhat regularly with 2 guys who both carry 20-25 clubs. Cracks me up. They're both kind of obsessed with buying random clubs at garage sales. They're both total hacks but they have fun and I have fun playing with them so who cares how many clubs they bring. They both tend to carry 2-3-4 drivers, a few random extra irons (for example their main set plus a couple extra 6 irons just because), all kinds of random wedges, 2-3 putters. Last time I played with one of them, he had 2 chippers in the bag!

I think it's great that there are so many ways we can interact with golf. Even if we aren't great players, we can get enjoyment from trying different equipment from different eras. Sharing that with some like-minded friends as well sounds like a blast. 

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

Part of the fun of golf is the makeup of your bag and I think reducing the number of clubs would just mean more players playing the exact same bag makeup. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

On 2/17/2024 at 10:40 PM, dugue4 said:

I think it should be 18 clubs.  One exclusive for each hole.

I love this if you also have to choose which club you are going to use on each hole.  One club and one club only per hole.  When the weather is bad and the course is in terrible shape we sometimes play weird formats, I'm going to propose this for 9 holes at least. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rigby48 said:

I love this if you also have to choose which club you are going to use on each hole.  One club and one club only per hole.  When the weather is bad and the course is in terrible shape we sometimes play weird formats, I'm going to propose this for 9 holes at least. 

I want a full recap when you do this. 

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:46 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

I actually would argue that it's NOT arbitrary, but rather that 14 clubs hits a sort of natural "right" area for most players. 

I think 14 is sort of a "goldilocks" number where you're at the point of diminishing returns adding more clubs for gapping purposes and you have to make strategic decisions about what you do or do not carry if you want to carry a "specialty" club of any sort.

When I think about it, I kind of agree with this. (I like the "goldilocks" metaphor). If I look at my game bag (both current and past ones), I do have to carefully consider club selection, and have experimented with various trade-offs over the years. Do I want four wedges, and go to a (single) 4FW instead of three wedges and a 3FW and 5FW? Etc., etc.

But I kind of like the constraint that the 14 club rule imposes. And, in truth, I have to say that there's virtually no place my ball can be on any particular hole that makes me seriously think "I wish I had a [enter additional club name]". In fact, for most shots I almost immediately know what club I'm going to grab. The only times I have uncertainty is not because I don't have a club I need, but rather because I'm going back and forth between two possible clubs. 

So I don't really want or need more than 14. Additional clubs wouldn't really make my game any more precise. I doubt I'd see much if any effect on scores. Additional spots would like be filled with specialty, single-use clubs. For instance, my highest loft is a 58* wedge. 95% of the time I can do anything I need with that. I could add a 62* or even 64*, but really I'd only prefer it over the 58* on a shot or two every few rounds. 

But I also wouldn't want any fewer. I could get by with 12, or even 10, but suspect there would be shots where I'd be thinking "I really don't have the right club for this". There would be more 3/4 (instead of full), or 100% (instead of my usual 90%) swings. 

It may just be because I've been playing golf for my entire life with 14 clubs as one of the most foundational, almost unquestioned rules of golf,  but IMO the 14 club "porridge" is "just right". 

Plus, it is all academic. Unlike the opinions some here have of them, the USGA/R&A don't actually deliberately go out of their way to mess with golfers' heads. Not even remotely within the realm of possibility that they'd start looking at making a change to a rule that virtually the entire golfing world (amateur and pro golfers, OEMs, course owners and etc.) are almost universally comfortable with, and have been for over 3/4s of a century. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

6 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Plus, it is all academic. Unlike the opinions some here have of them, the USGA/R&A don't actually deliberately go out of their way to mess with golfers' heads. Not even remotely within the realm of possibility that they'd start looking at making a change to a rule that virtually the entire golfing world (amateur and pro golfers, OEMs, course owners and etc.) are almost universally comfortable with, and have been for over 3/4s of a century. 

Just think of the number of 14 slot bags that would be thrown away if the limit was increased. But the bag makers would be happy - I wonder when they will start putting pressure on the RBs.

2 minutes ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

I can definitely see that as being as issue. Hmmmm do I go with 3 wood, 4 wood, or 5 wood? Ok, pitching wedge it is. 

My daughter used to have seven clubs (a junior set). It was definitely much faster to determine whether she needed her hybrid, 7I, or 9I than if she had a yardage that was between a 7I and an 8I.

The larger the gaps, the more likely the choice is clear.

More clubs slow down play, and your bad example doesn't disprove that. 😛 

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

4 hours ago, iacas said:

My daughter used to have seven clubs (a junior set). It was definitely much faster to determine whether she needed her hybrid, 7I, or 9I than if she had a yardage that was between a 7I and an 8I.

The larger the gaps, the more likely the choice is clear.

More clubs slow down play, and your bad example doesn't disprove that. 😛 

Yep I agree 100% I play with 12 clubs and there are times were I only use say 7 or 8 of them.