Vince Carter (NBA Basketball legend) mini WITB – 2024 Arnold Palmer Invitational

Looks like VC's got off the rack G430 woods based upon the stickers he still has on the shafts, lol. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Dude shows up with stickers on this clubs in a money game....

Its Over Basketball GIF by NBA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

13 minutes ago, wfrogge1 said:

I really want to pull those stickers off each club 

Fact!  Drives me crazy!!!  :classic_wacko:

Ping G430 LST 9.0 - Alta CB 55-S // G430 Max 5-wood - HZRDUS Red RDX 70 // G430 4H-22 - HZRDUS Red RDX 80

Mizuno JPX 923 HM 4-P / Recoil 780 ES // Vokey SM8 50-54-58

Ping PLD Anser 2 Satin // Bridgestone Tour B RX

golf2b.png

I know it's probably difficult to get, but I'm always curious with these huge guys with long wingspans if they play clubs at standard, longer, or shorter length. 

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

6 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Dude shows up with stickers on this clubs in a money game....

Its Over Basketball GIF by NBA

VC is the man and that contest was so sick.  I remember like it was yesterday!  

for any of you kids check out the years VC won. 

Believe it was 2 and he stopped. 

• Like 1

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

32 minutes ago, Ben Berube said:

VC is the man and that contest was so sick.  I remember like it was yesterday!  

for any of you kids check out the years VC won. 

Believe it was 2 and he stopped. 

I think that's the only one he did, but it was a flawless performance so why do it again.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

His first dunk was the opposite-way three-sixty with windmill.  They could have just ended it there.  

• Like 2

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 10.5 (N-1 9.5) w Speeder 661 vi

Callaway AI SMOKE Max 15 (N+1) w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE TD 18 w Ventus Blue+ 7x (in the build shop)

Callaway AI SMOKE Hybrids 4, 5 w Ventus Blue 8x/9x (in the build shop)
PXG GEN 5 0311T 6-W KBS Tour 120 Black

Titleist Wedgeworks Raw 50.08M (50.5), 56.08M (57), PXG SDII Raw 60.07 Wide (61) 
LAB Link.1 34.5/72 H

Vince was in the 1998 draft class.  I loved the Celtics got Pierce in that draft  (I was afraid we would get stuck with Nazr Mohammed or other second-tier player at 10.  Even Rick Pitino couldn't mess up Pierce at 10). If I recall correctly, Vince was drafted by the Warriors and had the draft rights traded for Antawn Jamison  (in that same class).  Dirk Nowitzki had his rights traded for the rights of Robert "Tractor" Traylor  (loved watching Tractor play--very sad when he died).    That was  a pretty decent early first round after Olowokandi at 1. 

Bibby was at two. Other than Pierce at 10, I don't recall the exact order of the others.  Nowitzki and Pierce were the pinnacle.  Carter will go to the HOF.  BIbby and Jamison had solid careers.  Bryce Drew never panned out  (didn't think he would...a lot of fun to watch in college, though). Jason Williams bounced around the league (another fun one).  Larry Hughes wasn't as good as most anticipated (decent, not great).  I remember Raef Lafrentz was in that draft as was Pat Garrity.    Al Harington was probably disappointed to go as late as he did. 

Harpring got a lot of hype in some circles.  He made a nice career for himself for 10+ years but was never spectacular. As I said before, I thought Traylor was fun to watch, but he wasn't great in the NBA either( forever out of shape--but that was part of the appeal).   Not immediately recalling the rest of that draft.   Back to golf...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Vince was in the 1998 draft class.  I loved the Celtics got Pierce in that draft  (I was afraid we would get stuck with Nazr Mohammed or other second-tier player at 10.  Even Rick Pitino couldn't mess up Pierce at 10). If I recall correctly, Vince was drafted by the Warriors and had the draft rights traded for Antawn Jamison  (in that same class).  Dirk Nowitzki had his rights traded for the rights of Robert "Tractor" Traylor  (loved watching Tractor play--very sad when he died).    That was  a pretty decent early first round after Olowokandi at 1. 

Bibby was at two. Other than Pierce at 10, I don't recall the exact order of the others.  Nowitzki and Pierce were the pinnacle.  Carter will go to the HOF.  BIbby and Jamison had solid careers.  Bryce Drew never panned out  (didn't think he would...a lot of fun to watch in college, though). Jason Williams bounced around the league (another fun one).  Larry Hughes wasn't as good as most anticipated (decent, not great).  I remember Raef Lafrentz was in that draft as was Pat Garrity.    Al Harington was probably disappointed to go as late as he did. 

Harpring got a lot of hype in some circles.  He made a nice career for himself for 10+ years but was never spectacular. As I said before, I thought Traylor was fun to watch, but he wasn't great in the NBA either( forever out of shape--but that was part of the appeal).   Not immediately recalling the rest of that draft.   Back to golf...

I'd take Nowitski over all the names you mentioned in this day and age.  Nothing like a 7 footer who can shoot and pass.  I was actually pissed when the Clippers took Olowokandi at 1 even though he was the overwhelming choice at the time. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

I'd take Nowitski over all the names you mentioned in this day and age.  Nothing like a 7 footer who can shoot and pass.  I was actually pissed when the Clippers took Olowokandi at 1 even though he was the overwhelming choice at the time. 

Yeah, he would have actually fared better a generation later than he did (and he was great).  If I recall , Olowokandi offered to pay tuition at Pacific since they were out of scholarships when he arrived there.    He was another that bounced around the league a bunch.  Never great.  Giant men always get second and third chances in that game because you can't teach or coach size.

On golf, i remember seeing photos of Karsten Solheim presenting custom fit Ping Eye 2's to Kareem Abdul Jabbar during his retirement tour.  Would love the specs on those.  Tom Wishon said he once fit a 6'11" NBA player with clubs that were .5" shorter than standard because of the guy's arm length  (he didn't mention the players name).  David Robinson and George Gervin both had like 18 wraps under their grips. 

• Like 2

Super Nice Guy, I met him years back when I worked in South FL.

We were doing some work at Shaq's house in Isleworth & he stopped by for lunch.  A truly surreal day meeting 2 of my childhood favorites!

Edited by ignitewvu
  • Like 2

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Umm…no disrespect to anyone, but the last thing I expected to see from “Half-Man, Half-Amazing” was an All-PING bag, Lol.

I’ve just never been a PING guy (never owned one of their clubs).

Most Nike/Jordan guys end up playing TaylorMade, so that’s what I was expecting…or maybe Callaway.

Oh well. Had mixed feelings about Vince as a player too. Loved him at UNC, and his early years with the Raptors, but obviously when he forced his way out of Toronto he left a very bitter taste in Raptors fans’ mouths.

Some Raptor fans are still very bitter, but based on Vince’s body of work, I do believe his jersey should be retired by the Raptors, and he will definitely be a HOF’r.

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

11 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Wow awesome, I remember a little but not at all that detailed.  I remember the "Tractor" he was fun to watch. I remember Olo as well and completely forgot Nowitzki was part of that class.  Wow.

Thanks foe all the detail and remembrance.  Lafrentz and Pat Garrity, wow blast from the past. 

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

53 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

Yeah, he would have actually fared better a generation later than he did (and he was great).  If I recall , Olowokandi offered to pay tuition at Pacific since they were out of scholarships when he arrived there.    He was another that bounced around the league a bunch.  Never great.  Giant men always get second and third chances in that game because you can't teach or coach size.

On golf, i remember seeing photos of Karsten Solheim presenting custom fit Ping Eye 2's to Kareem Abdul Jabbar during his retirement tour.  Would love the specs on those.  Tom Wishon said he once fit a 6'11" NBA player with clubs that were .5" shorter than standard because of the guy's arm length  (he didn't mention the players name).  David Robinson and George Gervin both had like 18 wraps under their grips. 

No way?!?!?!  Amazing story.  Again thanks for sharing.  

23 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Umm…no disrespect to anyone, but the last thing I expected to see from “Half-Man, Half-Amazing” was an All-PING bag, Lol.

Most Nike/Jordan guys end up playing TaylorMade, so that’s what I was expecting…or maybe Callaway.

Oh well. Had mixed feelings about Vince as a player too. Loved him at UNC, and his early years with the Raptors, but obviously when he forced his way out of Toronto he left a very bitter taste in Raptors fans’ mouths.

Some Raptor fans are still very bitter, but based on Vince’s body of work, I do believe his jersey should be retired by the Raptors, and he will definitely be a HOF’r.

He will go to the HOF.  He played 20+ years  and a good part of that was at a high leveI.  It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.  But, he was usually better than I gave him credit for. I  thought he was very good but a little overrated early in his career. I thought he and Jason Williams were very similar.  Their games had some substance, but their reputations were enhanced because of flashy play. The flashy play led to the perception (in some people's minds) they were on a higher level than what they were. Williams would throw three unbelievable passes  that would make you forget some turnovers or poor shots.  Vince would make a crazy dunk over two defenders.  People would take form that , we were looking at an all-timer. 

One of the criticisms of Vince early on was a perceived lack of effort.  I thought Dirk, Pierce, and BIbby were all better than him early on, even though Vince got most of the recognition.  I think he passed Bibby as a player, but still rank him solidly behind Nowitzki and Pierce from that draft class. 

Edited by Anser3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Well said Nate.  Usually see Cally or TM bags for the Pro's.  Started to see a few PXG's as of late.

But NOT Ping.  

I will say you should give Ping a chance at some point.  If you are a picker their woods are meant for it.

Plus their drivers always seem like the ball stays on the face an extra fraction.  As if you can feel the face flex with the driver.  It's weird and never felt that in any other driver.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Berube said:

Wow awesome, I remember a little but not at all that detailed.  I remember the "Tractor" he was fun to watch. I remember Olo as well and completely forgot Nowitzki was part of that class.  Wow.

Thanks foe all the detail and remembrance.  Lafrentz and Pat Garrity, wow blast from the past. 

I remember Garrity in college but have no real recollection of his NBA career. I vividly remember Indiana getting Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender (two high schoolers) within a couple years of each other.  I think Bender was acquired via trade (his draft rights) for Antonio Davis.  Bender was one of two players that beat Larry Bird at HORSE (the other was Michael Smith when he was with the Celtics around 1989/1990ish).  I was not a Pacers fan, per se  (Celtics fan here) but I loved Larry Bird, so I followed the Pacers during his tenure as coach.  

• Like 1

Looks like he has a Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX in his driver.  That is not a stock Ping shaft.  Otherwise it looks like he arrived at the event and realized he forgot to throw a driver and fairway woods in his bag.   An hour before tee time, he jumped in his car and drove to Edwin Watts, Dicks Sporting Goods, Hacker's Helper, Golf Headquarters, etc and picked up some Ping woods off the shelf ("This 10K driver looks good.  I saw some nice reviews on Youtube about it.").   I can see him saying to the cashier, "Can we please hurry this up a bit.  I need to be back at Bay Hill for a tee time in 30 minutes."

Baron Corbin still has a smirk like, "I can't believe WWE let me beat Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania."

Edited by Anser3
  • Like 1