Most Likely to Complete the Grand Slam Next

Need4spd

Koepka, DJ, Scottie if I was betting on it 

The Tiger slam might be the coolest thing I’ll ever get to see in my golfing lifetime. The actual career grand slam seems minimal in comparison to what TW accomplished but is still an amazing achievement. 

Forgot to mention….for reference TW has completed the career grand slam 3X. 

Edited by AdExec
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AdExec said:

Koepka, DJ, Scottie if I was betting on it 

The Tiger slam might be the coolest thing I’ll ever get to see in my golfing lifetime. The actual career grand slam seems minimal in comparison to what TW accomplished but is still an amazing achievement. 

Having the players as well while holding all 4 majors should more than make up for not getting the Masters in the same year as the others.

And a bit off topic, but just got this in the youtube recommended. Tiger holding a clinic just a few weeks after completing the Tiger slam.

3 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

Call me crazy but I think Phil’s winning a major this year.

Post LIV move Phil winning a US Open would be the biggest moment in golf since Tiger in 2019 and he’s exactly the type of player/person that I wouldn’t bet against doing it. 

Phil will always be dangerous when he’s got his A game. Still long enough, short game always good enough, and when the driver goes straight, and the putter gets hot he can still go low anywhere. US open is exactly where he could find his game, go low enough early and ride that lead all the way home. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AdExec said:

Post LIV move Phil winning a US Open would be the biggest moment in golf since Tiger in 2019 and he’s exactly the type of player/person that I wouldn’t bet against doing it. 

Phil will always be dangerous when he’s got his A game. Still long enough, short game always good enough, and when the driver goes straight, and the putter gets hot he can still go low anywhere. US open is exactly where he could find his game, go low enough early and ride that lead all the way home. 

I think Augusta or Troon is his best shot. Augusta for obvious reasons but Troon is the perfect course for him. Lot of wedge shots and emphasis on the short game.

3 hours ago, tiderider said:

he's eligible for the PGA till he's 65 ... US open winners typically get 10 years or so of invitations, though his two might get him more than that ... 

Masters and BO are 5 years based on winning PGAC. Players is too but….

So yes, even more eligibility than the base 5 years in those cases.

23 hours ago, Need4spd said:

Scottie: If the Spider really is the answer to his putting woes, look out PGA Tour.

RORS: We all know, all it takes is one special week in Augusta, and it feels like it could happen any year.

Jordanian: Like Rory, one special week in May. Feels like more of a wild card these days, but still…

Go!!!

Grand Slam?

I don't know the answer. But Rory seems to have made himself into an 'elder statesman' long before he's gotten old, and Speith seems very comfortably content with his life, and everyone else who might be in the conversation (now or one day) are today making such huge gobfuls of money that I can't imagine them staying hungry and driven enough to do it. (I know: no one plays for the money, just for majors and the history books -- but, I mean, if the money just happens to keep pouring in, it may have an effect...). I think maybe Brooks is perennially pissed off enough to do it, and Rahm touchy and talented and annoyed enough to do it. 

Edited by PeterJP
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, PeterJP said:

I don't know the answer. But Rory seems to have made himself into an 'elder statesman' long before he's gotten old, and Speith seems very comfortably content with his life, and everyone else who might be in the conversation (now or one day) are today making such huge gobfuls of money that I can't imagine them staying hungry and driven enough to do it. (I know: no one plays for the money, just for majors and the history books -- but, I mean, if the money just happens to keep pouring in, it may have an effect...). I think maybe Brooks is perennially pissed off enough to do it, and Rahm touchy and talented and annoyed enough to do it. 

Another solid take. Hadn’t thought of Rory that way until you mentioned it, but you’re right about him being an older statesmen kind of figure. The only correction I would make, and your comment may well have been tongue in cheek, but some guys do play for the money. There’s no question whatsoever about that. 

I agree about Brooks and Rahm being “perennially pissed off,” though I still don’t think either will ultimately pull it off. I do think there’s something to be said for being perennially pissed off though.

I should have acknowledged in my original post that (and this is stating the obvious) this is a monumentally difficult task.

What compelled me to start the thread was Scottie. I honestly think he has the best shot. His win on Sunday reminded me of the Tiger of old. I was out with my kids at a water park, tuning in here and there for a few minutes at a time on my phone. When I first turned it on he had a 4-5 shot lead and I knew there was zero chance of him giving it up. It was obvious he was having a good week with the putter, combine that with his all-time great ball striking and it’s a wrap. His walk down the back nine was reminiscent of Tiger to me. Not that we haven’t seen that from other players at different tournaments from time to time, it just felt different to me.

Edited by Need4spd
  • Like 3

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

8 minutes ago, Need4spd said:

Another solid take. Hadn’t thought of Rory that way until you mentioned it, but you’re right about him being an older statesmen kind of figure. The only correction I would make, and your comment may well have been tongue in cheek, but some guys do play for the money. There’s no question whatsoever about that. 

I agree about Brooks and Rahm being “perennially pissed off,” though I still don’t think either will ultimately pull it off. I do think there’s something to be said for being perennially pissed off though.

I should have acknowledged in my original post that (and this is stating the obvious) this is a monumentally difficult task.

What compelled me to start the thread was Scottie. I honestly think he has the best shot. His win on Sunday reminded me of the Tiger of old. I was out with my kids at a water park, tuning in here and there for a few minutes at a time on my phone. When I first turned it on he had a 4-5 shot lead and I knew there was zero chance of him giving it up. It was obvious he was having a good week with the putter, combine that with his all-time great ball striking and it’s a wrap. His walk down the back nine was reminiscent of Tiger to me. Not that we haven’t seen that from other players at different tournaments from time to time, it just felt different to me.

Before someone goes here, no, I don’t for one second think he will win 15 majors or anywhere close to 82 times altogether.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

30 minutes ago, PeterJP said:

But Rory seems to have made himself into an 'elder statesman' long before he's gotten old,

Yep, tried to be that, admirable, but finally figured out that’s not what he’s after.   Winning championships is what he aspired to do since he was 5 or 6 or whenever he first picked up a club.  

Yes, Need4spd, I think you noted something important about Scottie, ie that despite the fact that he doesn't 'present' as overly intense or insanely competitive, one gets the feeling that if he's in the lead he's not gonna throw it away or 'back up" or not close it out. In other words, though he may not always win the tournament, if he doesn't it'll be because he got beat, not because he beat himself. And as Jack and Tiger have demonstrated, that's the key to winning majors. 

Edited by PeterJP

6 hours ago, PeterJP said:

100% agree on Spieth. I think his best golf is behind him and it’s funny how no one really talks about him or scrutinizes him like Rory. Spieth’s only won 2 mid-tier events since 2017. Brooks is gonna be the “best player of this generation”.

16 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

The 2 at the Masters was as back door as they come, but Rory should have closed the deal at the '22 Open and the '23 USO. He couldn't make a putt at the '22 open but was burning edges all day and one bad wedge swing killed is '23 USO chance.  

Phil on the other hand does have a win ('21 PGA) and a T2 ('23 Masters). Besides those two awesome performances, he has a T21, T58, T62, and 5 MCs. 

Wins are important of course and Rory didn't get it done, but Phil's had two good performances in 3 years. Rory has been on the 1st page of the leaderboard in 8. 

I believe you allude to it, but both Rory and Phil's recent 2nd place Masters finishes are both as "backdoor" as they come.  Pretty much the same, right?  Good analysis, just wanted to add that tidbit.  

• Like 1

I agree with the earlier comment about McIlroy taking on an 'elder statesman' role. His hair's greying, but I'm not sure how conflating his position as one of the best players in the world - and when he's on, he undoubtedly is - with the sort of role Jack and Tom took on years after their best days were behind them has affected his mindset. Whether it's hurt his game and dented some chances at big wins, we'll never know. 

He infuriates me when I watch him, as the sheer number of loose shots, baffling, unforced errors, and inexplicably slack rounds he throws in in a typical 72 holes is maddening, but I'd still have him as the favourite to snag the career grand slam, and I think he may do it this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he won the Masters and then, suffused with confidence and swagger, wins another Major on the back of the green jacket. One good week, with a solid start, the right mindset and focus, and a hot putter, and he should win by a handful. He hits it miles, hits it high, and can draw it. He's the blueprint player for the modern Augusta set-up. 

Edited by mat562
  • Like 2

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

10 minutes ago, mat562 said:

I agree with the earlier comment about McIlroy taking on an 'elder statesman' role. His hair's greying, but I'm not sure how conflating his position as one of the best players in the world - and when he's on, he undoubtedly is - with the sort of role Jack and Tom took on years after there best days were behind them has affected his mindset. Whether it's hurt his game and dented some chances at big wins, we'll never know. 

He infuriates me when I watch him, as the sheer number of loose shots, baffling, unforced errors, and inexplicably slack rounds he throws in in a typical 72 holes is maddening, but I'd still have him as the favourite to snag the career grand slam, and I think he may do it this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he won the Masters and then, suffused with confidence and swagger, wins another Major on the back of the green jacket. One good week, with a solid start, the right mindset and focus, and a hot putter, and he should win by a handful. He hits it miles, hits it high, and can draw it. He's the blueprint player for the modern Augusta set-up. 

Interesting post on Rory.  I 100% agree with you on the frustration of watching him and the silly mistakes he makes despite his talent and experience.  I think he is really unlikely to win the Masters this year because of that - and particularly, a dodgy wedge game and putting that goes cold quite a lot. No Laying Up mentioned this week that he's also battling a left miss with his irons too so will be interesting to see if that is the case at Sawgrass. As you say, to have any chance he needs a good first round and a good putting week, but if Scheffler keeps his Bay Hill form up then he would still win...

I also think the 2022 St Andrews Open was a huge turning point.  Rory really could and should have won that but holed practically no putts all day. If he had won it, I think he would have won another major last year and be on 6 now.

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

1 hour ago, ColinKelvin said:

Interesting post on Rory.  I 100% agree with you on the frustration of watching him and the silly mistakes he makes despite his talent and experience.  I think he is really unlikely to win the Masters this year because of that - and particularly, a dodgy wedge game and putting that goes cold quite a lot. No Laying Up mentioned this week that he's also battling a left miss with his irons too so will be interesting to see if that is the case at Sawgrass. As you say, to have any chance he needs a good first round and a good putting week, but if Scheffler keeps his Bay Hill form up then he would still win...

I also think the 2022 St Andrews Open was a huge turning point.  Rory really could and should have won that but holed practically no putts all day. If he had won it, I think he would have won another major last year and be on 6 now.

Rory should’ve won the 2022 Open and the 2023 US Open 

Edited by stinger_gc

3 hours ago, billyspan said:

I believe you allude to it, but both Rory and Phil's recent 2nd place Masters finishes are both as "backdoor" as they come.  Pretty much the same, right?  Good analysis, just wanted to add that tidbit.  

Good point. Phil only posts that 2nd place because Brooks "Major Killer" Koepka, pooped the bed on Sunday. BTW I like Koepka, he just seems to get a pass for his multiple Sunday no-shows. 

Still has to be Rory, I can’t see Spieth winning another major. I would put Koepka next most likely with how he elevates his game in the majors.

2 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Good point. Phil only posts that 2nd place because Brooks "Major Killer" Koepka, pooped the bed on Sunday. BTW I like Koepka, he just seems to get a pass for his multiple Sunday no-shows. 

Probably because he’s won 5.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

3 hours ago, mat562 said:

I agree with the earlier comment about McIlroy taking on an 'elder statesman' role. His hair's greying, but I'm not sure how conflating his position as one of the best players in the world - and when he's on, he undoubtedly is - with the sort of role Jack and Tom took on years after their best days were behind them has affected his mindset. Whether it's hurt his game and dented some chances at big wins, we'll never know. 

Well said. Rory is both the most fun and most maddening player to watch. 

Drive a Par 4 nobody else in the field can? Check

Post a back nine 30 to get back in contention? Check

Duck hook a drive into the water after a string of birdies? Check

Miss a two footer for Par to lose all your momentum? Check

Rinse and repeat. 

4 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Still has to be Rory, I can’t see Spieth winning another major. I would put Koepka next most likely with how he elevates his game in the majors.

Probably because he’s won 5.

True. But if he were the true heir to Tiger and Jack, he'd have 8, maybe more? Off the top of my head he should have held on at the '23 Masters (final round 78, 70 would've won), should have beat Phil at the '21 PGA (final round 74, 71 wins), should have beat Tiger at the '19 Masters (final round 70 but dunked it in the water on 12 for double). 

Winning any major is hard but its not like he had to pull off miracles to win the 3 above. It just demonstrates how small the line between a win and a loss is. Bringing it back to Rory, if he doesn't chunk a wedge at the '23 USO, he wins the tournament or gets Clark in a playoff. In the '21 Open, if the birdie drops on 17, he steps to the 18 w/ a chance for a birdie to tie on a very easy hole. If one of his other 16 birdie chances drops, he wins. The margins are just razor thin.  

14 hours ago, st1800e said:

Hmmm…. ask the players who have won a major and zero, or one or two other random PGAT tournaments.  

Check your theory out with Andy North and Ben Curtis.  

It's not a theory. It's an opinion. I think we all over emphasize majors and I believe its a hangover from the Tiger era when he endlessly talked about the majors. 

For example, you'll never convince me that Brooks has had a better career to date than Rory simply because he has 5 majors and Rory has 4. 

Rory has 20 PGAT wins including a Players. Brooks has 4. 

Rory has 16 wins on the Euro/DP Tour, Brooks has 7 

Rory has an Irish Open, Scottish Open, Canadian Open, Aussie Open, US Open, and British Open. Brooks has 2 US Opens

Rory has 122 weeks at #1. Brooks has 47. 

Who knows, maybe Rory would trade 16 tour wins (including a Players) and 9 European wins (including 2 national opens) for another major. That just seems stupid to me.  

If you offered me Colin Montgomerie's or Lee Westwood's career or Shaun MIcheel's or Ben Curtis's, my response would be quicker than a downhiller at Royal Melbourne.

• Like 2

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal