Most Likely to Complete the Grand Slam Next

Need4spd

7 minutes ago, ColinKelvin said:

I think we can give Watson and Palmer a pass given it was the PGA they didn't win - it's barely a major, players couldn't play in both for much of the 60s due to scheduling, and it should count only as a tie-breaker when comparing careers, or alternatively 0.5 majors IMO.

Of course by that logic. Jordan Spieth has pretty much achieved the Grand Slam (of proper majors).

Well sure, you can. Lol, but history is history.

Incredible that Watson played in 27 PGA Championships by age 50 and couldn’t win one

Not really blemish on his outstanding career per se but just goes to show how difficult it is to achieve.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Well sure, you can. Lol, but history is history.

Incredible that Watson played in 27 PGA Championships by age 50 and couldn’t win one

Not really blemish on his outstanding career per se but just goes to show how difficult it is to achieve.

He was very close out in Chicago but the yips got him.  Couldn't make a five footer.

Edit: he was close in Chicago after 2 rounds, and the yips got him early in round 3.

Edited by gvogel
looked it up
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Combination of wins needed and time left to achieve that for me. In order of likelihood:

1. Rory - One needed and has the game if he can get in the headspace

2. Spieth - One needed and arguably and easier one

3. Rahm - Two needed but definitely has the game for both

4. Koepka - Two needed but recent good performances

5. Scheffler - Three needed. If he gets the putting nailed he could win the three in a year with how well he’s playing other than the putting.

6. Morikawa - Two needed but young. Game isn’t there right now but can be.

Winning is hard so number of current wins dominates in my eyes. Scheffler being the exception.

No one else with any trust in Morikawa?

Edited by Peak
  • Like 1

Tough question right now. Before he started on the PGA this year I would have said Rory based on his performance on the DP...but with how he's been playing, I don't know. Speith is so hot and cold, but tends to perform well in the Majors. Brooks performed very well at 2 majors last year and decent at the US Open.

Rory

Brooks

Jordan

Scheffler

Rahm

1 hour ago, ColinKelvin said:

I think we can give Watson and Palmer a pass given it was the PGA they didn't win - it's barely a major, players couldn't play in both for much of the 60s due to scheduling, and it should count only as a tie-breaker when comparing careers, or alternatively 0.5 majors IMO.

Of course by that logic. Jordan Spieth has pretty much achieved the Grand Slam (of proper majors).

Palmer did win the 1980 Canadian PGA Championship.  So close, eh?  😉

3 hours ago, Peak said:

Combination of wins needed and time left to achieve that for me. In order of likelihood:

1. Rory - One needed and has the game if he can get in the headspace

2. Spieth - One needed and arguably and easier one

3. Rahm - Two needed but definitely has the game for both

4. Koepka - Two needed but recent good performances

5. Scheffler - Three needed. If he gets the putting nailed he could win the three in a year with how well he’s playing other than the putting.

6. Morikawa - Two needed but young. Game isn’t there right now but can be.

Winning is hard so number of current wins dominates in my eyes. Scheffler being the exception.

No one else with any trust in Morikawa?

Pretty good summation, in my opinion.

The Phil talk cracks me up. It just ain’t happening. 

I threw Scheffler on that list because in spite of the fact that he still needs three more, his ball striking is literally all time good, like Tiger in his prime good. As was stated above, dude could rattle off 2-3 in a single year if the Spider turns out to be the answer and he putts the way he did at Bay Hill. 

• Like 2

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

14 minutes ago, LinkLow said:

Hideki Matsuyama has the talent and mental game

Love Hideki, hopefully his putting holds up enough for him to win. He was Scheffler before Scheffler.

• Like 1

Driver: Sim 10.5 WB 73 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5i: Srixon U85 Oban CT 125x

6-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH

4 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

Phil’s got a better chance then Rory IMO. I’d argue he’s got a better major record over the last 3 years. Rory’s just so far in the wilderness right now and I think there’s a better chance Phil get hot for a week

Rory has been pretty good at the majors over the last 3 years...

Masters: '21 - MC, '22 - T2, '23 - MC

PGA: '21 - T49, '22 - 8, '23 - T7

USO: '21 - T7, '22 - T5, '23 - 2

Open: '21 - T46, '22 - 3, '23 - T6

2 MCs, 2 others stinkers, 8 top 10s, 4 top 5s. Looking at this I'm actually shocked w/ how well he's played the USO and how much he's struggled at Augusta. Obviously a mental thing as his game seems to suit the Masters more than a typical USO setup. 

The 2 at the Masters was as back door as they come, but Rory should have closed the deal at the '22 Open and the '23 USO. He couldn't make a putt at the '22 open but was burning edges all day and one bad wedge swing killed is '23 USO chance.  

Phil on the other hand does have a win ('21 PGA) and a T2 ('23 Masters). Besides those two awesome performances, he has a T21, T58, T62, and 5 MCs. 

Wins are important of course and Rory didn't get it done, but Phil's had two good performances in 3 years. Rory has been on the 1st page of the leaderboard in 8. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Noles said:

He needs one PGA.  That's a much smaller mountain to climb than Rory, BK or Rahm has to climb. 

Ton Watson thought the same thing. I don't see Jordan winning the PGA. Another green jacket or us open before a pga. 

I'm basing this off absolutely nothing by the way. 

5 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

Phil’s got a better chance then Rory IMO. I’d argue he’s got a better major record over the last 3 years. Rory’s just so far in the wilderness right now and I think there’s a better chance Phil get hot for a week

Except Phil is 53 and Rory is 34. Rory isn't in "the wilderness", he's having a blip in form. He'll contend again for sure and has plenty of time still at or near the top. Whether he can get a Green Jacket (or indeed another major after ten years of great Major play without a W) is the big question. 

Phil had his late career swansong at Kiawah, which was an incredible feat. He isn't winning a US Open now. No chance. 

• Like 1
  • PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

I'll go with Scott Scheffler or Jordan Spieth

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

Hybrid--Titleist 818 H1 in 23* w/Tensei shaft, "R" Flex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

1 hour ago, Dutch1008 said:

Rory has been pretty good at the majors over the last 3 years...

Masters: '21 - MC, '22 - T2, '23 - MC

PGA: '21 - T49, '22 - 8, '23 - T7

USO: '21 - T7, '22 - T5, '23 - 2

Open: '21 - T46, '22 - 3, '23 - T6

2 MCs, 2 others stinkers, 8 top 10s, 4 top 5s. Looking at this I'm actually shocked w/ how well he's played the USO and how much he's struggled at Augusta. Obviously a mental thing as his game seems to suit the Masters more than a typical USO setup

The 2 at the Masters was as back door as they come, but Rory should have closed the deal at the '22 Open and the '23 USO. He couldn't make a putt at the '22 open but was burning edges all day and one bad wedge swing killed is '23 USO chance.  

Phil on the other hand does have a win ('21 PGA) and a T2 ('23 Masters). Besides those two awesome performances, he has a T21, T58, T62, and 5 MCs. 

Wins are important of course and Rory didn't get it done, but Phil's had two good performances in 3 years. Rory has been on the 1st page of the leaderboard in 8. 

Again my argument for the consistent vs hot week is would Rory rather have Phil’s record at the majors over the last 3 years? I think he’s say yes in a heartbeat 

Edited by stinger_gc

1 hour ago, ColinKelvin said:

Except Phil is 53 and Rory is 34. Rory isn't in "the wilderness", he's having a blip in form. He'll contend again for sure and has plenty of time still at or near the top. Whether he can get a Green Jacket (or indeed another major after ten years of great Major play without a W) is the big question. 

Phil had his late career swansong at Kiawah, which was an incredible feat. He isn't winning a US Open now. No chance. 

Call me crazy but I think Phil’s winning a major this year.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, stinger_gc said:

Again my argument for the consistent vs hot week is would Rory rather have Phil’s record at the majors over the last 3 years? I think he’s say yes in a heartbeat 

That's because we've all collectively put way too much emphasis on Majors. With the exception of the '23 Masters and '21 PGA, Phil has played consistently poor golf outside of the Champions Tour. The man finished 39th in the LIV standings last year! If that was a serious tour, he'd have lost his card. Rory has 8 wins since 2021. His strokes gained numbers are better than everyone but Scottie. He's played really good golf. He just hasn't sealed the deal at a major. 

If the question is, who has the best chance at winning the career grand slam, I'd rather put my money on the guy that consistently puts himself in position than the dude missing the cut nearly 50% of the time. The stars need to align for Phil to contend. Especially at a US Open. I'm pretty confident that Rory is going to put himself in position to win. Its just a question of getting that key break or two. That doesn't mean it will happen. Neither Arnie nor Watson grabbed that PGA they needed. Such is golf.  

That said, the correct answer to this question is either Rory, Jordan, or Phil as each only has to win one and winning majors is exceptionally hard. Phil's a grandpa and currently a negative strokes gained player. Jordan has shown some signs of life but is nowhere near the player he was from 2015-2017. Rory is the only one of the three that is still performing like one of the best players in golf. Choosing anybody but Rory for this exercise is simply a gut feel on Rory's intestinal fortitude, it has nothing to do with talent, current form, or realistic odds. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

Yeah right. He’s eligible for all of them for the next 5 years automatically due to his PGA Championship last year. That’s without even playing a single other tournament. I have a sneaking suspicion that as the major hawk he is, he will continue to gain eligibility for them beyond the five year automatic eligibility.

Also, if by then there isn’t some sort of “agreement” we may be in trouble! 😂 

he's eligible for the PGA till he's 65 ... US open winners typically get 10 years or so of invitations, though his two might get him more than that ... 

my vote is for scheffler ... he's got a great all around game IF the putting stays somewhat decent over the next ten  years ... he's long enough and his swing can be a lot of things in a lot of different tournaments ... rahm won't be working as hard since he doesn't have to, so he's out ... 

10 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

That's because we've all collectively put way too much emphasis on Majors. With the exception of the '23 Masters and '21 PGA, Phil has played consistently poor golf outside of the Champions Tour. The man finished 39th in the LIV standings last year! If that was a serious tour, he'd have lost his card. Rory has 8 wins since 2021. His strokes gained numbers are better than everyone but Scottie. He's played really good golf. He just hasn't sealed the deal at a major. 

If the question is, who has the best chance at winning the career grand slam, I'd rather put my money on the guy that consistently puts himself in position than the dude missing the cut nearly 50% of the time. The stars need to align for Phil to contend. Especially at a US Open. I'm pretty confident that Rory is going to put himself in position to win. Its just a question of getting that key break or two. That doesn't mean it will happen. Neither Arnie nor Watson grabbed that PGA they needed. Such is golf.  

That said, the correct answer to this question is either Rory, Jordan, or Phil as each only has to win one and winning majors is exceptionally hard. Phil's a grandpa and currently a negative strokes gained player. Jordan has shown some signs of life but is nowhere near the player he was from 2015-2017. Rory is the only one of the three that is still performing like one of the best players in golf. Choosing anybody but Rory for this exercise is simply a gut feel on Rory's intestinal fortitude, it has nothing to do with talent, current form, or realistic odds. 

Rory’s body of work over the past 3 years is undoubtedly unbelievable. Just an absolute model for consistency. But he’d absolutely trade it all for a major.

1 hour ago, stinger_gc said:

Call me crazy but I think Phil’s winning a major this year.

You’re crazy.

• Like 1

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1