2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Long Limbed Golfers

I've been studying swings of taller golfers recently as I'm 6'3, and looking to clean a few things up in my swing.  

While golfers like DJ, Henrik, Aberg, and Els, are all nice - what I've realized is that they're all relatively normally proportioned.  Their wingspan is the close to their height, and their legs are not overly long.

On the other hand, I'm 6'3, with a 6'8 wing span and much longer legs than torso - which poses slightly different challenges. 

Any recommendations on nice swings to check out on similarly built golfers?

Thanks!

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

1 minute ago, DoughBack18 said:

Chesson Hadley and Akshay Bhatia are in that long limbed/thinner build category. 

Chesson is a really nice call - thank you!

Akshay was one that came to mind as well - but his move is not something I think I can take much from at my age.  😄

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

17 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

Chesson is a really nice call - thank you!

Akshay was one that came to mind as well - but his move is not something I think I can take much from at my age.  😄

Hadley was my first thought.  I wonder if Keegan Bradley fits?  He is 6-3 and looks like he has long arms. I’m not fond of his super flat swing.  It looks to be extra high maintenance.

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Finau?

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

The problem with all of these swings is that I hate them.  😄

Every one has the overly hunched look which I just can't stand.  I really don't want to believe that it's necessary to play great golf - but Fiunau, Kuchar, and Keegs make a pretty compelling argument :,(

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

1 hour ago, MysteryV said:

Every one has the overly hunched look which I just can't stand.  I really don't want to believe that it's necessary to play great golf - but Fiunau, Kuchar, and Keegs make a pretty compelling argument :,(

See if you can find old videos of Al Geiberger's swing.  Mr. G was long and lanky with a smooth, flowing swing.  Players of my era are all a bit hunched as clubs weren't as long as they are now.  I'm 6'5"+ but proportionally large similar to Els or Vijay.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

See if you can find old videos of Al Geiberger's swing.  Mr. G was long and lanky with a smooth, flowing swing.  Players of my era are all a bit hunched as clubs weren't as long as they are now.  I'm 6'5"+ but proportionally large similar to Els or Vijay.

Silky

• Like 2

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

2 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Or just swing you're swing, or find someone that does something you're trying to work towards. I'm 6'3" with a 6'10" wingspan so not many guys like that on tour and most of the bigger and taller guys all have their own swing.

One guy that I oddly watch a lot if Matt Fitzpatrick because I'm trying to queue a flatter swing and he does it well.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

Or just swing you're swing, or find someone that does something you're trying to work towards. I'm 6'3" with a 6'10" wingspan so not many guys like that on tour and most of the bigger and taller guys all have their own swing.

One guy that I oddly watch a lot if Matt Fitzpatrick because I'm trying to queue a flatter swing and he does it well.

I agree with the swing your swing - but I really enjoy working on my swing as much (or more) than actually playing golf.  While I have a decent understanding of various components of my swing - sometimes I can't quite figure out why something doesn't look quite right.  Recently it's been the right leg - which can move improperly leading to not having enough space forcing me to make some odd compensations - often times resulting in having to close the face too quickly and not timing it quite right.  😄. A lot there, I know.

While I enjoy watching Xander, Rory, the Camerons, etc - I feel like their being built significantly differently makes it more difficult for me to compare and learn from.  

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

55 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

I agree with the swing your swing - but I really enjoy working on my swing as much (or more) than actually playing golf.  While I have a decent understanding of various components of my swing - sometimes I can't quite figure out why something doesn't look quite right.  Recently it's been the right leg - which can move improperly leading to not having enough space forcing me to make some odd compensations - often times resulting in having to close the face too quickly and not timing it quite right.  😄. A lot there, I know.

While I enjoy watching Xander, Rory, the Camerons, etc - I feel like their being built significantly differently makes it more difficult for me to compare and learn from.  

That's fair but are you working towards something with a coach or just trying this and that? Also feel and looks are completely different, it's odd. I'll swing super flat or what feels flat to me like along my belt line but in reality my hands are like 4" lower but it makes a world of different.

Also working in a previous sport that was technique based often copying others lead to technical issues unless you know the what, why and how.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 3/31/2024 at 10:12 AM, MysteryV said:

On the other hand, I'm 6'3, with a 6'8 wing span and much longer legs than torso - which poses slightly different challenges. 

6'3" with a 6'8" wingspan are NBA numbers.  I used to be 6'3" and I have longer legs also but my arms a close to my height.  If I had your arms I would have been a bit better at blocking shots and rebounding back when I did that sort of thing.  I can see where you might like to stand tall to the ball.  Do you use standard length clubs or maybe a bit under length?  

6 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

6'3" with a 6'8" wingspan are NBA numbers.  I used to be 6'3" and I have longer legs also but my arms a close to my height.  If I had your arms I would have been a bit better at blocking shots and rebounding back when I did that sort of thing.  I can see where you might like to stand tall to the ball.  Do you use standard length clubs or maybe a bit under length?  

Just re-measured - it's actually 6'7.  My bad.  I play 1/2" over, 1 up (Titleist specs) currently - but think I need to go a little flatter as I'm often a bit toe up.  My wrist to floor is 36" so I think these specs are about what Ping recommends as well.

I actually feel like the super long legs are the real challenge as they make for an odd center of gravity and stability issues (in addition to things like ankle mobility). 

There was a point where I was in incredible shape, doing a ton of olympic lifting - and I was 225 of muscle, jumping out of the gym, dunking nasty.  I could do 300 lbs plus for reps squatting (also extremely tough given the build) - BUT I STILL COULDN'T DO A SINGLE PISTOL SQUAT.  

I'm happy with my build for the most part (except when on flights, but there are just some things it makes much more difficult.

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Wondering if anyone has examples of the opposite problem. I'm 6'5" with about a 40" wrist-to-floor. I haven't measured my wingspan, but it would probably be a little bit misleading as I've got broad shoulders so it might be more chest width than arm length in the wingspan... 36" inseam if that matters.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Might be worth looking into some of the Mike Adams / Terry Rowles stuff. One of their claims is that the "wingspan vs height" and "elbow to middle knuckle vs elbow to top of shoulder joint" can affect what swing plane your body naturally swings on in both directions. As an example, a long wingspan would generally mean a more upright posture (since your arms will hang lower), which would cause a more flat pivot and therefore more raising of the arms, which is a steepener. Similarly, you could imagine someone with extremely long forearms may take the club back more steep as well. I am on the steep side of both of these, 6'2" with a 6'4" wingspan and a 1.5" longer elbow to middle knuckle. 

Not sure how much that really ties in, as I feel like there's so much "nurture" in the golf swing. They also don't discuss leg vs torso length! 😁

15 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Just re-measured - it's actually 6'7.  My bad.  I play 1/2" over, 1 up (Titleist specs) currently - but think I need to go a little flatter as I'm often a bit toe up.  My wrist to floor is 36" so I think these specs are about what Ping recommends as well.

I actually feel like the super long legs are the real challenge as they make for an odd center of gravity and stability issues (in addition to things like ankle mobility). 

There was a point where I was in incredible shape, doing a ton of olympic lifting - and I was 225 of muscle, jumping out of the gym, dunking nasty.  I could do 300 lbs plus for reps squatting (also extremely tough given the build) - BUT I STILL COULDN'T DO A SINGLE PISTOL SQUAT.  

I'm happy with my build for the most part (except when on flights, but there are just some things it makes much more difficult.

Funny, I'm similar but also kind of the opposite, 6'3" with a 6'5" wingspan, but short legs and a long torso. I always felt that I had a real challenge since my center of gravity is higher up and less over my feet than others (since my considerable torso is tilted forward). Basically if my weight isn't in my heels I would fall over forward. 

10 minutes ago, Simpsonia said:

Basically if my weight isn't in my heels I would fall over forward. 

Huh? Your weight could be in the same exact place as someone else - in the middle to front of your arch - and you wouldn't fall over…

If you tried to match the angles of someone else, your weight might be too far out toward your toes, but sticking your butt back a little would just move the center of mass to… the middle to front of your arch, unless you keep pushing your butt back farther, in which case you could get it into the heel.

You could also bend forward a bit less (which might put you too far from the ball).

Edited by iacas

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

Funny, I'm similar but also kind of the opposite, 6'3" with a 6'5" wingspan, but short legs and a long torso. I always felt that I had a real challenge since my center of gravity is higher up and less over my feet than others (since my considerable torso is tilted forward). Basically if my weight isn't in my heels I would fall over forward. 

Haha - you and I are neighbors arguing that the other persons grass truly is greener.  😄

• Haha 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

2 hours ago, TonyRo said:

Might be worth looking into some of the Mike Adams / Terry Rowles stuff. One of their claims is that the "wingspan vs height" and "elbow to middle knuckle vs elbow to top of shoulder joint" can affect what swing plane your body naturally swings on in both directions. As an example, a long wingspan would generally mean a more upright posture (since your arms will hang lower), which would cause a more flat pivot and therefore more raising of the arms, which is a steepener. Similarly, you could imagine someone with extremely long forearms may take the club back more steep as well. I am on the steep side of both of these, 6'2" with a 6'4" wingspan and a 1.5" longer elbow to middle knuckle. 

Not sure how much that really ties in, as I feel like there's so much "nurture" in the golf swing. They also don't discuss leg vs torso length! 😁

I don't see it used in golf discussion often, but the term I searched for prior to starting this thread was "Ape Index" .  I think i's popular with climbers but not entirely sure where it originated.

This old article discusses some of the stuff you mentioned I believe.  I found it to be pretty accurate for me, but not overly actionable.  

https://www.golfwrx.com/181715/biomechanics-and-how-they-affect-swing-plane/

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

19 hours ago, iacas said:

Huh? Your weight could be in the same exact place as someone else - in the middle to front of your arch - and you wouldn't fall over…

If you tried to match the angles of someone else, your weight might be too far out toward your toes, but sticking your butt back a little would just move the center of mass to… the middle to front of your arch, unless you keep pushing your butt back farther, in which case you could get it into the heel.

You could also bend forward a bit less (which might put you too far from the ball).

Mostly hyperbole in jest. I do feel pretty unstable if I get onto my toes, so I just have to feel a bit more in my heels to counter that. 

On 3/31/2024 at 9:13 PM, MysteryV said:

For what it's worth - I'm built very similarly to this incredibly handsome gentleman 

Are these your swings or am I missing something?

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

Robert Karlsson for a past swing. Adrian Meronk is quite tall with what look to be long legs.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

5 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Are these your swings or am I missing something?

Lol - yes - they are.  3rd "round" back from a long injury layoff at the recently redone Golden Gate Park, par 3 course in San Francisco.  3 of the 9 shots are pretty bad (the attempted 8i knockdown, the laughing chunk, and the thinned flippy wedge) - but it was my first time filming my swing in the wild.  Definitely some stuff to clean up.

I also made the song for what it's worth (not my vocals).

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

5 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Lol - yes - they are.  3rd "round" back from a long injury layoff at the recently redone Golden Gate Park, par 3 course in San Francisco.  3 of the 9 shots are pretty bad (the attempted 8i knockdown, the laughing chunk, and the thinned flippy wedge) - but it was my first time filming my swing in the wild.  Definitely some stuff to clean up.

I also made the song for what it's worth (not my vocals).

I’m very similar to your numbers too . Im definitely more legs than torso.  I do have broad shoulders plus long arms , so my elbow is hanging down to my waist at rest. .  I find that upright is where I hit it the straightest.  “ best “. But if I go flatter , and bend more , i can make a lot more speed. But do they give extra shots for speed ?  Not as far as I can tell.  Of course that’s from the context of hitting a stock 7 iron 176 yards from the more upright position.  So I get it if someone is searching for speed. 

I find Sheffler to be a good thought for the upright move.  Not the footwork. But the general cupped to flat  wrist , and fade favoring path that can turn it over if needed.  It’s also miles better for shortgame.  50 yards and in shots. 

to be fair. I’ve worked with both setup positions ( flat and upright ) and really wonder if there’s a better path or if  it’s just personal preference? 

Edited by bladehunter

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I’m very similar to your numbers too . Im definitely more legs than torso.  I do have broad shoulders plus long arms , so my elbow is hanging down to my waist at rest. .  I find that upright is where I hit it the straightest.  “ best “. But if I go flatter , and bend more , i can make a lot more speed. But do they give extra shots for speed ?  Not as far as I can tell.  Of course that’s from the context of hitting a stock 7 iron 176 yards from the more upright position.  So I get it if someone is searching for speed. 

I find Sheffler to be a good thought for the upright move.  Not the footwork. But the general cupped to flat  wrist , and fade favoring path that can turn it over if needed.  It’s also miles better for shortgame.  50 yards and in shots. 

to be fair. I’ve worked with both setup positions ( flat and upright ) and really wonder if there’s a better path or if  it’s just personal preference? 

I love the idea of being able to decide, but not all of us have the luxury unfortunately.  😄  My ability to cup my wrist and make a passable move is non-existant.  Same with my ability to have an out-to-in path without hitting down 12 degrees on it - and even then there's a good chance I stall and slam the face shut.

The most amazing tall guy with long arms swing (though a pretty long torso and maybe short legs?) is DJ.  Beyond having super human flexibility, I still can't wrap my head around how he get's the numbers he does, particularly with his build.  

Scotty Cameron T22 FB