2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Scottie Scheffler ceiling? Better than any 2000's players sans Tiger?

LimaSierra

Obviously I don't think I can say he has Tiger level potential

But after watching him coast to victory today, I think he has the ability to be better than any of Vijay, Phil or Ernie ever were. He is beyond calm and collected. He is always in contention and when he gets in contention, he usually finishes the job.

I don't see another person who can consistently challenge him in majors. Rory has the talent but not the mental ability. Rahm is too up and down. No one else has the right combo to suit any course like Scottie. 

I don't see any reason he can't win another major this year and at 27, the sky is the limit 

Edited by LimaSierra
  • Like 1

Im rooting for Scottie and think he can win a ton more, but as others have said a lot of big names have stalled out. Winning even 4 or 5 mayors isn't easy. 

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

This guy is unbelievable. Greatest player in several years. His game can’t win everywhere and there will be some courses where he won’t contend, however there will be more courses where he will always contend. He seems like a top 20 lock at Augusta for years to come. It will be interesting to see if he hits the fatherhood slump like so many players before him. 

Edited by Llortamaisey

It’s a little premature to speculate his full potential, especially with kids on the horizon. Longevity of dominance in this game is very, very rare. Jack did it and so did Tiger, so 2 outta hundreds of PGA players over the past 6+ decades. Give it 3-4 years and then we can really give this an honest evaluation.

I will admit, he’s on a very hot streak and definitely world number one by a very large margin. More consistent than Koepka this early in his career, and quickly approaching Spieth territory in dominance. I’m not for him yet, nor against. Wish him well, and he’s great for the game. We’ve needed a standout or two like him, for a few years minimum. 

Edited by A.Princey
  • Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

1 hour ago, Nickb333 said:

I love watching Scotty smash it. So pure most of the time. That said, those ankles will barely make it to 32. IMO of course. 

If he really does rely all on feel and great hands to square at impact, and with all the foot movement in his swing, it would seem pretty tough to this maintain long term. I’m not sure it’s injury prone, but certainly requires crazy athletic ability/finesse and a young body to pull off with his current consistency. 

Look at Wolff, his swing must require tons of feel and athletic precision, not too dissimilar from Scheff’s unorthodox lower body. I can’t imagine this not being the main contributor of Wolff’s major decline. Who knows for sure, though?

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Hes dominating, but this isnt exactly new for the PGATour. Rory had stretches, were he dominated everyone in a US Open win by 8 shots, then followed that up with British Open and WGC win for three in a row. Speith looked unstoppable for a while as well, crushed everyone at the Masters, his worst finish for a while was like T5 over four years as an amateur.

Some guys had major drop offs after getting married and having kids. Dunno if it will happen to scottie but to crown him already seems premature when weve done this before a couple of times.

4 hours ago, LimaSierra said:

Obviously I don't think I can say he has Tiger level potential

But after watching him coast to victory today, I think he has the ability to be better than any of Vijay, Phil or Ernie ever were. He is beyond calm and collected. He is always in contention and when he gets in contention, he usually finishes the job.

I don't see another person who can consistently challenge him in majors. Rory has the talent but not the mental ability. Rahm is too up and down. No one else has the right combo to suit any course like Scottie. 

I don't see any reason he can't win another major this year and at 27, the sky is the limit 

Rahm, Rory, Brooks can and I believe will from time to time.    But after today, we have to mention Aberg.  First major should be an eye opener bc of the ease in which it looked for him.

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 3

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

One key difference between Scottie and the Rory’s, the spieths, even the rahms and keopkas is his consistency.  The latters seem to all need and been able to pull off hero shots on their dominating stretches (spieths short game, Rory’s drives, long irons, and crazy shots from trouble and trees).  

Scheffler just is flat out consistent.  Not flashy, not aggressive, almost boring.  He was losing strokes putting to the field yet still had the lowest season average score per round which kept him from shooting the ultra low rounds.  Seems he’s starting to figure that out and gaining strokes on the green vs losing them.  Going to be tough to beat.

FWIW, I thought Skovron needed to step in and tell Aberg that the shot on 11 was not necessary.  After he put it in the water, Scottie had a very easy win.  

If Aberg plays more conservatively on 11, might have been a different tournament. We will never know but Scottie made it look very very easy despite not having his best game. I thought Morikawa outplayed him tee to green on the front except 9 of course.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jdcho said:

FWIW, I thought Skovron needed to step in and tell Aberg that the shot on 11 was not necessary.  After he put it in the water, Scottie had a very easy win.  

If Aberg plays more conservatively on 11, might have been a different tournament. We will never know but Scottie made it look very very easy despite not having his best game. I thought Morikawa outplayed him tee to green on the front except 9 of course.  

He tried to. During their conversation before the water ball on 11, he asked specifically if Åberg was concerned about sweeping it left. I couldn’t hear the exact words he used, but I heard “not concerned? “ and watched him curve his hand from right to left. Åberg shook him off. 

While the seasoned move may have been a more conservative shot, I can’t help think the caddy in this instance planted a poor image into Åbergs subconscious. The kid was loose as a goose. All he needed was positive input IMO. 

• Sad 1

The current OWGR average points gap between Scheffler and the 2nd best player in the world is now 6.3373.

In 2001, Tiger Woods had the biggest ever lead in the rankings, when his 32.33 average points was 19.40 ahead of the then world number two Phil Mickelson on 12.93 average points.

u-s-open-preview-day-3.jpg?s=2048x2048&w

Edited by iBanesto
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, redfirebird08 said:

Watch out for Aberg. 2nd place in his very first major championship. Very strong ability in terms of accurate/long driving, accurate irons, and very good short game. Give him more experience and he will be a force in this game. 

5 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Rahm, Rory, Brooks can and I believe will from time to time.    But after today, we have to mention Aberg.  First major should be an eye opener bc of the ease in which it looked for him.

Åberg has a mental game that can’t be taught. He learned this week that the majors are just golf tournaments and he can contend in them. He was completely and utterly unfazed all week. 

He’s a dangerous man moving forward. I think we’ll be watching him for a long time. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

He hasn’t even hit peak Spieth, and we all know how that turned out. 

Speith lived off his putting and short game,those 3 years  his swing always looked suspect, now the rest  of his game is average at best, he is nothing but a journeyman pro, that occasionally competes, lucked out at the 2017 open, and getting a drop when that should have been 3 off the tee. 

Said then if he ever loses his short game and putting that's him done as elite payer, as has now been proven. 

SS is miles ahead of speith, only just starting as well. 

• Like 1

The main thing about Scheffler that I like is his emotions appear level.  Not too much emotion one way or the other.  His swing mechanics are so good despite his unusual, but effective, foot work.  He controls the clubface with his body without a lot of hand action.  That same technique serves him well on his chipping and pitching.  I really like watching him.  It still comes down to putting and history is full of great players who all of a sudden can't make putts.  Spieth comes to mind in that regard as does Rory.  Tiger's putting was phenomenal for many years as a professional.  The way Homa played tee to green was very impressive through the Masters, but he could not get the ball in the hole despite having great opportunities.  But that new putter Schiffler has in the bag now seems to suit him.  It would be great to see him get all four majors this year.  Only time will tell if he dominates golf like Tiger did for such a long period.

• Like 1

If he can keep his putting where it is I believe he will be the best of this generation of players. The Post Spieth/Thomas/Xander/Koepka (around 2011 High School Grad group) and Pre kids in high school about now.

The problem is we’ve seen what happens to him when his putter cools already. It’s amazing and a huge credit to the rest of his game that he’s still in contention every week without a putter. However, he was not able to close every tournament like he is when his putter is hot.

Another part of his game is his high amount of hole outs from around the green. As we’ve seen with Spieth that talent/luck is fleeting. He has ridden that wave for a couple years now which is impressive.

Overall, yes, his ceiling is outrageously high, but there are a lot of high ceilings on tour. Just none that are actively as high as his. He has been riding this wave for a very long time and is so impressive. If he’s still riding it in 2026 he will be a true contender for a record shattering career.

He also benefits from many players being scared of big moment as witnessed in droves yesterday.

Edited by CCTxGolf
  • Like 1

Scottie is so good that he only needs to put 'meh' and it's basically an auto win for him. I don't think he'll be the next Tiger (mostly because he's already 27), but he's 100% a future HOF'er. Absolute force out there. Anybody else has to play their maximum A game with virtually 0 mistakes in order to even sniff a W when he's playing well.

AI Smoke TD 9* -> 10* | Ventus Blue TR 6x

BRNR Mini 11.5* -> 12.5* | Ventus Blue TR 6x

Stealth 2 Plus 18* -> 19* | Accra FX 2.0 380 M5

ZX Utility | Axiom 105x

ZX7 5i | Axiom 125x

0211ST 6-GW | Axiom 125x

T22 54/12 58/12 | Axiom 125x

Bridgestone BX

Mezz Max