Jump to content
2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

RBC Heritage 2024 (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***)


MattyO1984

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, redfirebird08 said:


Nah. Scheffler drives it straighter. Tiger played more often from the rough and trees, and still found a way to hit unbelievable iron shots and win a ton of events. The Haney years are pretty interesting when you look at his crooked driving and very strong win rate. 

 

No question he drives it straighter, but even Scottie's iron game is just ridiculous. 

 

I too find it surprising Tiger was able to win so often in the Haney era, a ludicrous 41% from 2005-2009. If you watched him back then he didn't look invincible. I remember being more than happy with watching him win 2/7 events and finishing top 5 in all the others mid 2005. But that little run has been all but forgotten in history because he went on a tear after MCing at the 2006 US Open with a winning stretch which can only be compared to Hogan and Nelson's over 50 years prior. 

 

Strokes gained stats will say Tiger was actually top 10 in driving most of those years (41st 2009) but you wouldn't think so if you watched him back then. Everything else though? Top notch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

 

No question he drives it straighter, but even Scottie's iron game is just ridiculous. 

 

I too find it surprising Tiger was able to win so often in the Haney era, a ludicrous 41% from 2005-2009. If you watched him back then he didn't look invincible. I remember being more than happy with watching him win 2/7 events and finishing top 5 in all the others mid 2005. But that little run has been all but forgotten in history because he went on a tear after MCing at the 2006 US Open with a winning stretch which can only be compared to Hogan and Nelson's over 50 years prior. 

 

Strokes gained stats will say Tiger was actually top 10 in driving most of those years (41st 2009) but you wouldn't think so if you watched him back then. Everything else though? Top notch. 


Hell, 2018 PGA Tiger damn near beat Koepka’s A-game while Tiger was playing from the trees. Why? Because Tiger’s iron game was insanely good, even from difficult positions. Ultimately the crooked driving cost him the win, but it was a hell of a lot closer than you would expect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, redfirebird08 said:

Åberg just not scoring anywhere near as well as he should. Poor putting and short game shots are killing him. 

Meanwhile, Scottie w a slightly better than median putter is making it look like a video game.

  • Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS Black 10.5 R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3, (-2")

Cobra Speedzone 14.5 (+1⁰) R - Tensei AV 65g

Cobra F9 18.5 R - Evenflow Blue 5.5 65g

Callaway Apex '21 4 Hybrid 21 R - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB

Callaway Apex '19 5i - AW - R - Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH

Cleveland RTX6 - 54/10, (-1⁰) - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland RTX6 - 58/9 - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 3 - 35", (-1"), (+3g)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Justsomeguy said:

Meanwhile, Scottie w a slightly better than median putter is making it look like a video game.


Scheffler gained at least 2 shots with the putter at the 9th hole compared to Åberg. Åberg missed a 9 foot birdie. Scheffler made a 35 foot birdie that had a ton of speed and would have ran 6+ feet past the hole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On that note, an Ortho surgeon at work that's close to scratch says that it probably relieves a lot of joint stress, which isn't bad if he can keep making such pure contact

  • Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tiger in 2007 averaged a combined 2.227 strokes gained off the tee and approach shots. Last season Scheffler averaged 2.226 strokes gained and this season 2.225. This stat is different from strokes gained tee to green as it omits strokes gained around the green, making it a better measure of ball striking. 

 

Tiger's 2007 season wasn't even his best ballstriking year in the Shotlink era, it's 2006 when he averaged 2.875 strokes gained, that's almost 3 whole strokes better than Scheffler throughout 4 rounds. 

 

People forget how good Tiger was and basically any current players who hit the ball amazing for a week or month, odds are Tiger did that for multiple years.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, golferdude54 said:

Tiger in 2007 averaged a combined 2.227 strokes gained off the tee and approach shots. Last season Scheffler averaged 2.226 strokes gained and this season 2.225. This stat is different from strokes gained tee to green as it omits strokes gained around the green, making it a better measure of ball striking. 

 

Tiger's 2007 season wasn't even his best ballstriking year in the Shotlink era, it's 2006 when he averaged 2.875 strokes gained, that's almost 3 whole strokes better than Scheffler throughout 4 rounds. 

 

People forget how good Tiger was and basically any current players who hit the ball amazing for a week or month, odds are Tiger did that for multiple years.

Yeah, he was so good for so long that if you were not there watching, it's hard to really comprehend.

  • Like 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, golferdude54 said:

Tiger in 2007 averaged a combined 2.227 strokes gained off the tee and approach shots. Last season Scheffler averaged 2.226 strokes gained and this season 2.225. This stat is different from strokes gained tee to green as it omits strokes gained around the green, making it a better measure of ball striking. 

 

Tiger's 2007 season wasn't even his best ballstriking year in the Shotlink era, it's 2006 when he averaged 2.875 strokes gained, that's almost 3 whole strokes better than Scheffler throughout 4 rounds. 

 

People forget how good Tiger was and basically any current players who hit the ball amazing for a week or month, odds are Tiger did that for multiple years.

 

Those are Tiger's best years (Strokes gained era 2004 and after) when he was winning close to 50% of his events and Scottie still compares favorably, that's insane. 

 

---------------

 

Going by data golf numbers Scottie's combined number is at +2.58 right now, +2.50 last year

 

Scottie's numbers are better than Woods in 2004 (1.53), 2005 (2.03), 2009 (2.05), 2012 (2.16), and 2013 (+1.85)

 

Tiger is higher in 2006 (3.10), 2007 (+2.73), and 2008 (+2.81)

 

By the way is there an official stat which combines the two categories or did you just add the two yourself? I like it more than SG tee to green as well. 

 

Edited by Golfnutgalen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

By the way is there an official stat which combines the two categories or did you just add the two yourself? I like it more than SG tee to green as well. 

 

 

Datagolf has it but only by individual live tournament stats to the non-subscribers; they started doing it around a year ago and gave it an unfortunate acronym, which is BS literally!

 

When I look up season SG, I just go to PGA Tour SG tee to green and find the lowest SG around the green among the top 5 and add them all up, it's sorta tedious but it doesn't take that much time. If you want 2004 to 2023 season leaders, I started a thread in the past with my own compilation here, among other ball striking stats.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, golferdude54 said:

 

Datagolf has it but only by individual live tournament stats to the non-subscribers; they started doing it around a year ago and gave it an unfortunate acronym, which is BS literally!

 

When I look up season SG, I just go to PGA Tour SG tee to green and find the lowest SG around the green among the top 5 and add them all up, it's sorta tedious but it doesn't take that much time. If you want 2004 to 2023 season leaders, I started a thread in the past with my own compilation here, among other ball striking stats.

 

 

Very cool. Thanks!

 

Rory's numbers in 2012 and 2014 are pretty outstanding as well. Makes sense why he was winning majors back then. 

 

Scottie's number stands out as expected. He is not normal. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

 

Those are Tiger's best years (Strokes gained era 2004 and after) when he was winning close to 50% of his events and Scottie still compares favorably, that's insane. 

 

---------------

 

Going by data golf numbers Scottie's combined number is at +2.58 right now, +2.50 last year

 

Scottie's numbers are better than Woods in 2004 (1.53), 2005 (2.03), 2009 (2.05), 2012 (2.16), and 2013 (+1.85)

 

Tiger is higher in 2006 (3.10), 2007 (+2.73), and 2008 (+2.81)

 

By the way is there an official stat which combines the two categories or did you just add the two yourself? I like it more than SG tee to green as well. 

 

 

Scheffler's iron play is great and he's on a good run - but let's not jump to even trying to suggest he's comparable to Tiger in terms of skill with irons at this point in any way more than Scottie is really good the past year vs. Tiger the best iron player ever.  Don't need all sorts of gyrations with various stats to know that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

Scottie's number stands out as expected. He is not normal. 

 

 

It's not hard to see why. Just look at his swing compared to Nicklaus in 1980, both get super wide with very late wrist hinge and upright with right forearm parallel to their spine at the top of their backswing, and their ball striking stats show that it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, goalie said:

On that note, an Ortho surgeon at work that's close to scratch says that it probably relieves a lot of joint stress, which isn't bad if he can keep making such pure contact

that's been my thinking ever since i saw his footwork ... would think it relieves some back stress and left knee stress the most ... 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Golfnutgalen said:

Scottie's consistency is disturbing. 

 

I'm beginning to think he may be a better iron player than TW. Maybe that's recency bias showing. 

 

 

 

 

No one is as good as Jack Nicklaus when it comes to irons. Nobody.  His shots in 1972 US Open truly speak for itself. That legendary one iron shot in the wind with a soft balata ball? Truly awesome. Jack had an average short game compared to Tiger. Just ask Lee Trevino on Jack's ability for irons.

 

No disrespect to Scottie but he nowhere near Jack Nicklaus when it comes to irons but then again nobody else was...

Edited by ChrisL52188
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ChrisL52188 said:

No one is as good as Jack Nicklaus when it comes to irons. Nobody.  His shots in 1972 US Open truly speak for itself. That legendary one iron shot in the wind with a soft balata ball? Truly awesome. Jack had an average short game compared to Tiger. Just ask Lee Trevino on Jack's ability for irons.

 

No disrespect to Scottie but he nowhere near Jack Nicklaus when it comes to irons but then again nobody else was...

 

I wasn't aware of JN being in the field.  Weird.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #1
      2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #2
      2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #3
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Nate Lashley - WITB - 2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic
      Hayden Springer - WITB - 2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic
      Jackson Koivun - WITB - 2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic
      Callum Tarren - WITB - 2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic
      Luke Clanton - WITB - 2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Jason Dufner's custom 3-D printed Cobra putter - 2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 3 replies
    • Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
        • Like
      • 49 replies
    • 2024 US Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 US Open - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Edoardo Molinari - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Logan McAllister - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Bryan Kim - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Richard Mansell - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Jackson Buchanan - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Carter Jenkins - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Parker Bell - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Omar Morales - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Neil Shipley - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Casey Jarvis - WITB - 2024 US Open
      Carson Schaake - WITB - 2024 US Open
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       

      Tiger Woods on the range at Pinehurst on Monday – 2024 U.S. Open
      Newton Motion shaft - 2024 US Open
      Cameron putter covers - 2024 US Open
      New UST Mamiya Linq shaft - 2024 US Open

       

       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 5 replies
    • Titleist GT drivers - 2024 the Memorial Tournament
      Early in hand photos of the new GT2 models t the truck.  As soon as they show up on the range in player's bags we'll get some better from the top photos and hopefully some comparison photos against the last model.
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 373 replies
    • 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Monday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #1
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #2
      2024 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Keith Mitchell - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Rafa Campos - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      R Squared - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Martin Laird - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Paul Haley - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Min Woo Lee - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Austin Smotherman - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Sami Valimaki - WITB - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Eric Cole's newest custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      New Super Stroke Marvel comic themed grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Ben Taylor's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Tyler Duncan's Axis 1 putter - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cameron putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Chris Kirk's new Callaway Opus wedges - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      ProTC irons - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Dragon Skin 360 grips - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cobra prototype putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
      SeeMore putters - 2024 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 0 replies

×
×
  • Create New...