OG SIM Ti 3 wood versus ALL

cyr67

Has there been anything better in recent times? Ever? Currently playing this club, and after a couple of years with it in the bag, it has attained "best ever" status. Off the tee, fairway, overall distance, feel...it is the best I have played. 

Just wondering what your thoughts are or if there is anything more recent that trumps it. If you replaced your SIM Ti and are happy, why and what replaced it? Yes, I know, why would I even ask if it's so good? Proper Golfwrx'rs know the answer! 

• Like 4

I like the shape of the last few years stealth’s 

stealth plus and stealth plus 2 , both look better then the sim to my eye, even the sim2 much better shape 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

Still have mine and I put it in the dare I say..........GOAT status.  I test driver and fairways every year.  Nothing's been able to kick it outta the bag so far although I will say that the Qi10 tour is pretty damn close performance wise for me.   

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I mistakenly got rid of my OG Sim Ti last summer and tried everything on the market to replace it to no avail. Fortunately, i found a pristine one a couple of months ago and all is right in the world again. IMHO, it is the best fairway wood ever and it is amazing to still see it in so many Pro’s bags

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cyr67 said:

Has there been anything better in recent times? Ever? Currently playing this club, and after a couple of years with it in the bag, it has attained "best ever" status. Off the tee, fairway, overall distance, feel...it is the best I have played. 

Just wondering what your thoughts are or if there is anything more recent that trumps it. If you replaced your SIM Ti and are happy, why and what replaced it? Yes, I know, why would I even ask if it's so good? Proper Golfwrx'rs know the answer! 

Raises hands but still, I think Sim 2 Ti was better for my game do to the extra spin and slightly smaller headshape.  Same face.  Loads of distance.

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

13 hours ago, 1163 said:

I mistakenly got rid of my OG Sim Ti last summer and tried everything on the market to replace it to no avail. Fortunately, i found a pristine one a couple of months ago and all is right in the world again. IMHO, it is the best fairway wood ever and it is amazing to still see it in so many Pro’s bags

IMG_2062.png.7ca26d8d011cec0aa22429faa4b89f73.png

• Like 1

I have a Paradym TD strong 3 wood that for me does not get any better. Can tee it up and hit ball speeds and distances I never thought I’d see from a 3 wood. 

can also hit cuts or back off the swing a bit and hit softer shots into greens. To each their own, but if you ever got the itch, give the TD a go. 

On 4/28/2024 at 10:48 AM, poor_putting said:

I have a Paradym TD strong 3 wood that for me does not get any better. Can tee it up and hit ball speeds and distances I never thought I’d see from a 3 wood. 

can also hit cuts or back off the swing a bit and hit softer shots into greens. To each their own, but if you ever got the itch, give the TD a go. 

Ditto I just posted something similar in another thread. have played ALL the TM greats….07 Burner TP, RBZ/RBZ2 tour issue, M1,M2 DF and last three years with OG SIM TI Rocket….

NOTHING has blown my mind in the fairway wood space like the Paradym Triple D.  Absolute money for me from first shot, can do anything I want with it on shot shape/trajectory and so dam forgiving for a low spin “players,” category fairway.  It cleaned out my stable in less than a month.  

Bought it on a whim during Cally preowned flash sale cause I was bored and its been a awesome level up for me.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thlongball said:

Ditto I just posted something similar in another thread. have played ALL the TM greats….07 Burner TP, RBZ/RBZ2 tour issue, M1,M2 DF and last three years with OG SIM TI Rocket….

NOTHING has blown my mind in the fairway wood space like the Paradym Triple D.  Absolute money for me from first shot, can do anything I want with it on shot shape/trajectory and so dam forgiving for a low spin “players,” category fairway.  It cleaned out my stable in less than a month.  

Bought it on a whim during Cally preowned flash sale cause I was bored and its been a awesome level up for me.

Are you guys talking the OG Paradym TD or the new AI Smoke Paradym TD? 

5 hours ago, cyr67 said:

Are you guys talking the OG Paradym TD or the new AI Smoke Paradym TD? 

37 minutes ago, thlongball said:

OG but hear new smoke version just as good

I've hit and played a ton of 3ws over the last few years, searching for "the one".

"The one" doesn't exist. Some launch too low. Some spin too much. Some are wild. Some are very good. Every 3w will make you desire something additional that leads to more trial and another 3w that meets 1 criteria but misses on another.

Paradym triple diamond does all of the criteria the best, for me. It's not perfect. But it's really good.

-Fast

-Sits slightly open or square. Sits square at +1 loft (not closed)

-Launches in a great window at 16* for low launch players.

-spin isn't too low or too high

The aerojet standard fwy came REALLY close to being perfect. Best dispersion of any 3w I've ever played. But it launched super low at 15 and lifting up closed the face way too much. 

I like the paradym tripd so much I bought a backup.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thlongball said:

I had one last year, basically a mini-driver distance wise, a monster.   My only problem was I hooked it too much/often, and couldn't play any sort of cut.  Maybe a different shaft would have worked, but I gave up and went back to my Ping LST.....

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

That Paradym TD sucked for my game. Way too spinny and not even close to same ball speeds as OG Sim Ti. I sold my backup to a friend and he switched from the Cally and still calls to tell me how amazed he is in its performance. If you need spin I could see the TD being good but none of the Cally fairways really can compete with the Ti versions of the TM family. 

4 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

That Paradym TD sucked for my game. Way too spinny and not even close to same ball speeds as OG Sim Ti. I sold my backup to a friend and he switched from the Cally and still calls to tell me how amazed he is in its performance. If you need spin I could see the TD being good but none of the Cally fairways really can compete with the Ti versions of the TM family. 

I saw the same when tested the Paradym TD.  I don't need my 3 metal to spin up as I primarily use it off the tee and I already generate tons of spin anyway.  OG SIM ti is really fast off the face keeps spin manageable for me. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

4 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

What spin rates were you averaging with the TD? And was in the 13.5 head?

8 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

I had Sim Ti. Went back to my M4 after a few weeks. 

M4 is the 1 fwy that really annoys me about TM and the non-adjustable "forgiving" model. That fairway was so freaking good but it sat so upright. I looked for flat lie tour issue models but couldn't find anything under 58. 

M4 is an absolute cannon too. 

I have the SIM 2 Ti 5 wood. At the time I didn't bag a 3 wood, but regret not getting the 3 wood as well. Been searching for a 3 wood that is similar in terms of feel, flight, performance etc. I hadn't found anything that comes close until today when I wandered down to a Callaway demo tent on the range. Tried the Ai Smoke TD 3 wood and the look, sound, feel and performance were as close as I've found to the Sim. It is one of the only 3 woods that I actually hit further than the SIM 5 wood (which is part of the reason I've been searching for a 3 wood for so long).

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, getitdaily said:

M4 is the 1 fwy that really annoys me about TM and the non-adjustable "forgiving" model. That fairway was so freaking good but it sat so upright. I looked for flat lie tour issue models but couldn't find anything under 58. 

M4 is an absolute cannon too. 

Fairway woods I’ve bought since the M4 trying to replace it:

- SIM TI - failed 

- Stealth - failed

- Stealth Plus - failed 

- Stealth Plus 5W turned down - beat it initially but then went back to M4 as turf interaction wasn’t great. 
- Rogue ST Max - failed miserably 

- Rogue ST LS - failed even worse than the Max

- Mavrik - failed

- Mavrik SZ 3W- failed but was close for a little while. Had some good success with it for a short time. 
- Mavrik SZ 3HL - failed
- Paradym Super Hybrid - TBD

Will also be buying a AI Smoke TD soon also to see if it can beat the old M4 

Edited by ilikegolf26

Anyone use the BRNR 13.5 successfully in a 3-wood replacement role?  

Seems to launch easily due to stretched back CG and obviously was designed to be a tee club.

I just find myself very rarely hitting my 4W off the deck as an approach club on my home course.  Feel like I could get more use out of a mini-driver type club in this spot 

Cool thread.  I have the OG Sim Max 3W, with an Accra FX M3 250 shaft - was fit into it at Club Champion in 2020.  It's been such a good club for a long time. Before that I had the Ping i15 3 and 5W's that were just terrible.  I got them when I got fit for an i15 Driver 10 years prior and just ordered the matching 3 and 5W.  As awesome as that Driver was the fairways were that awful.  I just thought I couldn't hit fairways anymore until the Sim fitting.  Before those, I had the old Ping Eye wooden 3 and 5W and they were actually pretty darn good.  

I've lately found myself wondering if I should try something else in the 3W. I've gained swing speed and last year was fit into a SUPER stable shaft in the Driver (Ventus TR Black 6X), and so now transitioning to my 3W, I sometimes have problems.  I think that Accra shaft is really good, it just has more kick than my Driver. When I am able to make the two different swings, I can still have a good round with them, but that doesn't always happen. I have to consciously slow down a bit on the 3W - The Driver-shaft combo wants a fade, where the 3W-shaft combo wants a draw - which actually can be valuable since some holes demand a draw or fade off the Tee.  

So, should I go get fit for a new 3W or try the DIY approach? If DYI, should I try a whole new 3W set up or just try a new shaft in my existing Sim Max head? If it should just be a shaft change, what shaft do you think would make most sense to try given that my Driver shaft is the Ventus TR Black 6x?  (My Driver swing speed is 114-118 mph. Before it was 107-109.) 

On a separate note, @leftyb, speaking of the X-Hot, a buddy of mine just picked one of those up in a 3W, and it is doing extremely well for him. I tried it a few times and was also very impressed with it. 

Driver: Taylormade Qi10LS, Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X. (Fit by Truespec North Georgia 2024)

3W: Taylormade Sim Max, Accra FX 2.0 200 M3. (Fit by Club Champion Atlanta 2019)

2I: Ping iCrossover, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2024)

4I-PW: Callaway Rogue ST Pro, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2023)

Wedges: 47, 51, 59 Edison Forged, Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX. (Self-fit 2021)

Putter: LAB Golf DF 2.1 (Self-fit 2022)

Ball: Chromesoft X (Fit by Ping's Ballnamic system).

Bag: MNML.

Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart.

Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano Ace.

On 4/26/2024 at 6:43 PM, cyr67 said:

What shaft and length do you play it at? I have one that I want to love but it is not good for a heel strike miss at all, so I am trying it with a shorter shaft for more control but it is still not quite as easy as I'd hoped. 

I am wondering if most people like to or need to play it at a shorter length. 

On 4/29/2024 at 11:59 PM, thlongball said:

Same experience here. Loved the old sim Ti, surprised to find the Paradym Triple Diamond to be more versatile. The 5w is plenty at the top of the bag.