2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Your golf quirks/preferences

Posted (edited)

Is there anything about golf you are particular about.  Meaning you absolutely always do it, or from a equipment perspective, if someone offered you something for free or a great deal, you wouldn't take it because you're too particular about that part of your golf game?

For me...

• Plastic tees, 3.25 inches long.  Never wooden, never shorter or longer.
  • My golf glove is always a rain glove or now I've moved to the FJ tropicool glove.  I have sweaty hands and hate when a traditional glove gets sweaty.  Rotating through several gloves is also a pain for me.
  • BOA golf shoes.  I can't say I would turn down a really nice pair of laced golf shoes for free, but if I'm spending my own money, it's going to be BOA.  And for some reason I slip on my BOA shoes when I get to the golf course, but I never tighten them until the 1st tee box, even if I'm going to the range first.
  • Headcovers always go back on to my woods/putter before they go back in the bag.
  • Always tee up the ball with the golf brand/number facing straight up to the sky.  Even at the driving range if I'm placing a ball on a rubber tee.
  • At the range, I always start with my GW and work my way to driver.  I may not hit every single club between GW and driver, but I never go back down to a shorter club until after I get through driver...then anything goes.
  • When playing a round, everything I carry on me has a specific pocket it goes in.  Phone, glove, balls (2 max), tees, marker, divot tool, and cash are the only things I keep in my pockets when golfing and they always go back into the same pocket they are supposed to.
  • When riding in a cart, I always drive.  If I happen to be playing with someone I don't normally play with and they beat me to the punch, I'm okay with it, but it's otherwise always assumed I'm driving with people I golf with regularly or I will put my bag in the driver's side if it hasn't been decided.  Maybe 2 out of the last 100 times I've ridden in a cart I wasn't driving.

Edited by LBB

Good thread! For me:

• I'd rather play early than late
  • Headcovers always go back on (I grew up in the persimmon days!)
  • Specific things in each pocket: tees/divot tool front right, ball markers front left, spare ball right rear, glove left rear
  • My warmup routine is very consistent: putts, chips, pitches, full wedges, irons, driver

1. Headcovers always get tossed on the ground across from the ball. Never forget to pick it up if it's in my eyesight
  2. Have an official putting ball which I keep in my left pocket. Same type, just clean. Don't like wiping my ball off on my shirt/shorts
  3. Bucket hat doesn't go on until I put my shoes on at the course
  4. 1 leg is always out of the cart for a nice breeze

Not really anything unusual, just ex-caddie stuff. 

Club gets cleaned after every shot. 
Headcover goes on before the club goes in the bag. 
Every club has a spot in the bag. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

40 minutes ago, bcjim said:

This thread is like Monk goes golfing.  💀

I was diagnosed with OCD over 30 years ago ... my list of golf "quirks" is too long to list.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Absolutely under no circumstance will I ever have anything on my wrist when I golf.  I cannot stand it, problem is I have an apple watch for distances and scoring so the solution?  I take the bands off and keep the unit itself in my pocket.

Always keep an extra ball on the left pocket.  From green to tee the main playing ball goes in my right pocket.  Only things allowed in my pants pockets are extra ball, divot tool, marker and apple watch.  Outside of that nothing else goes in.

Not sure if a quirk but I buy a logo at every new course I play, local $30 muni to Kapalua, I'm getting a logo ball.

All price stickers come off always

Wooden tees only

10 hours ago, Bad9 said:

Never have a second ball on me.

This one for sure!

1. Hitting an iron off a tee, I have to find a broken tee.
  2. Only coins as ball markers
  3. Never lace my shoes unless it is raining.
  4. No more than 2 hotdogs at the turn.

Cobra DARKSPEED LS 10.5°  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Cobra King Tour 5-PW  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Titleist SM8 50° |   LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

- Wooden tees only especially on par 3's. My course just recently put tee caddies on the par 3's with short plastic tees and I will refuse to use them. Would rather break one of my wood tees (if I can't find a broken one) than use a plastic tee on a par 3. I know it makes no difference, but I hit a hosel rocket off a plastic tee on a par 3 once and the plastic tee caught the blame in my head (just needed something external to blame to get it out of my head) and I have never used one since.       - Nothing ever in the left front or back pockets.

- Glove is never on until it's my turn to hit. Gets taken off as soon as my ball comes to rest.

- First tee, new ball every time no matter what.

Never use a found tee or ball

Never use a broken tee

Headcover always on unless in use

• Like 1

WITB

Ping G430 10K 10.5º w/ Diamana 

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Driving Iron: Srixon U85 w/ Recoil

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I love a bit of color in my game. All of my grips are in some form of red or blue, most of my clubs (except for wedges and putter) have colored shafts, and there isn't a single white ball in my bag.

• Like 2

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

5W: Turner H7

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: Inazone Niveus

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used), 
3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used), 4UI: Turner 239

Posted (edited)

I have a few I guess you can call quirks.

• I never wear a glove. Ever. My hands normally don't get sweaty, but when I wear a glove its like my hands are in a sauna. Even in the winter too but not because they get sweaty, they have become uncomfortable for me to wear. I use bigger grips so my hand comfort is never an issue.
  • Always put my headcovers back on after use. I never leave them off. I mean I do walk most of the time so its just easier to put them back on. But even when I take a cart I always put them back on. I hate the noise of the clubs when they clank together. Plus, I've lost headcovers in the past by leaving them off so I just put them back on to prevent that.
  • I always keep an extra ball in my pocket. My dad always taught me to keep an extra ball in your pocket to keep pace of play if you lose your ball, or need to hit an provisional. It has now become a superstition of mine where I just have to keep an extra ball in my pocket. Same with tees I always have a bunch of tees as well.
  • Can't have dirt in my grooves. I know this should be obvious for all golfers but I know a ton of people who don't clean their grooves regularly. I can't stand when I have dirt in my grooves. It just looks bad and effects performance. I carry a brush with me that shoots water out of it (the grooveit brush highly recommend) so I can always keep my grooves clean.
  • On the range, I always warm up with my 56 SW. It's my favorite club in my bag so I always gear towards it to get me warmed up.
Edited by drcohen

Callaway Paradym 12* - GD Tour IZ 7s

Ping G425 Max 14.5* - MCA Kai'li Blue 70s

Titleist TSI2 4/21* - PX Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 90 6.0

TM P790 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F - PX LZ 6.0, Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe 56.10J - PX 6.0, Titleist Vokey SM8 60.14K - DG S200

TM Spider Tour 35"

TM Tour Response

Thought about it some more I guess I have a few. 

No watch, no ring, no bracelet. Necklace is fine. I have a buddy who plays with his class ring on, OUCH, dunno how he does that!

Minimal pocket stuff. One ball marker, one green tool, and my insulin pump. That is it. Wallet, phone go in my bag. I don’t like to keep tees in my pocket either.

All grips (except putter) have to be identical. Non negotiable!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Must use my lucky divot tool

All tees, ball markers, divot tool must go in right front pocket

Now always carry my phone, goes in left front pocket

Headcovers always go on before back in the bag

I used to be very anti-plastic tees, couldn't stand them.   Our club gives them out free now, I have gotten used to them and now prefer them

Range warm up goes LW-SW-8i-6i-4i, then 5W,3W Driver.  Then work backwards 5i, 7i, 9i.....then maybe a few LWs before heading to the tee. 

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

I almost never tee off with a new ball in a competitive round. Has to be one that is lightly used. Like, i know it's been hit before and flied OK

New ball---never know what you're getting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don’t like things in my pockets ever, but I make an exception on the course, 1 tee and divot tool, and ball I’m using between holes 
Whenever I get a new club, I regrip it

Never wear a glove, in winter I will wear heated mittens between shots

Clean club after each shot

if in a cart I will take putter cover off for entire round, if walking it goes back on after I finish the hole.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

This is weird.  I am the kind of guy that likes things a particular way.  Always set the table with folded napkin under the fork.  Park dead center of parking spots.   Vaccuum backward to get some stripes.  Mow in alternating patterns to get the lawn looking good.  

Oddly enough I don't think I have any golf oddities.  I always have the covers on woods and putter but does not matter what comes first, etc.

I guess the only thing is I like to keep a tidy scorecard.  Bugs me when there is more than 1 person writing in numbers.  I also prefer to ID strokes by a slash across the box instead of dots.  That way you can write in the gross and net score in the same box.

image.png.346e901580e8d1d7e99f73f8e3d6d3d9.png

-- Ball marker has to sit flush with ground

-- Have to pace off putts

-- Line up ball on tee shots and putts

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

23 minutes ago, Blaiser said:

Glove absolutely has to come off after every shot, and has to go in my back left pocket.

I didn't realize this was a thing until I bought some new golf pants that for some crazy reason don't have a back left pocket. Can't wear them while playing anymore.

Same here, glove is off after every shot and it even irks me a bit seeing buddies never take their glove off lol. Not only because I think it makes my gloves last a little longer but its quite a big part of my mental game, taking off the glove is pretty much me accepting my shot and moving onto the next. 

• Like 1

Two plastic tees, one long, one short, one foreign currency coin quarter sized or smaller, divot repair tool (one of 2 which are acceptable) in my front right pocket. Green book and glove back right pocket.

I use the Tour Tees, not because I believe they perform any better, but because I've only lost or broken maybe 4 of them in 3ish years. I've given away more of them than I've lost or broken.

If I spot a broken tee on a par 3 or a hole I'm teeing off with less than driver I have to use it. If there are many, I look around until one of them feels "right" maybe a 3 second process.

As a right hand dominant lefty golfer, I went 25+ years playing gloveless because trying to get into a pocket with a glove on your hand is not fun, and because Freddie did it. I've compensated by being the guy who puts the glove on, takes the shot, takes the glove off immediately. I've tried to move stuff to the left pocket but it just feels so wrong.

Glove stays off at 100 yards and in.

Carrying an extra ball is mental hospital behavior and gives me the willies merely thinking of it...

I'd like to join the group therapy session...

Always start with a new ball. If I lose it I'll play a scuffy from the bag.

Broken tees on par 3's. If I cant find one I'll break one. and yes- I think that's nuts too...

Glove off for 100 yards and in. When off in back left pocket.

pitch mark fixer and 2 ball markers in right packet with the game ball. 2nd ball in left pocket. nothing else in pockets.

OK that wasn't so bad. Why am I sweating?

• Haha 2

If I won a lifetime supply of golf gloves, it would go to waste.  Golfing with a glove on feels wrong to me. 

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

Posted (edited)

Range practice... never changes...

20 wedges 1/4 swing to full swing on specific line

20 8 irons at 3/4 to specific target

6 6 irons at 3/4 to specific target

4 7 woods off the deck at 3/4 to specific target

3 drivers teed at 3/4 to specific target

Then complete the bucket working simulated holes... 4 iron tee, 9 iron approach, etc.

Short game practice...

Never use range balls.  Balls in the shag tube must all be Titleist or Bridgestone and marked with large red and blue dots.

Playing...

Must arrive at least 30 minutes early.

1 long natural wood and 1 short white painted wooden tee in right pocket. 

Pinehurst No. 4 coin in right pocket. 

Artisan bottle cap marker in right pocket (lucky charm).

Favorite divot tool in right pocket.

Leather book/scorecard holder in left rear pocket.

6 short 3' putts made in a row, followed by 6 long 30' putts for green speed, then 6 more short 3' putts made in a row.

Chip, pitch, and warm up as time allows.

Teed ball must always have the blue dot (my marking) directly facing me.

Head covers always on after stroke.

Putting ball must be clean and be placed so there are no markings in my sight.

I generally walk, but if riding I'd rather be the passenger.  I hate driving carts.

Don't play slow.  Don't be an a******.  Be the guy everyone wants to play with.

Edited by Maroon_19

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

• I absolutely LOATHE plastic tees that leave white marks on the bottom of my driver!
  • I always start each round with a white ball for my initial drive and a back-up colored ball in my right pocket.
  • Broken, but usable, tees always go in my back left pocket for use on par 3s. 
  • I always try to fix 2 ball marks plus my own on every green (very rarely is there a green where I can't find other marks to repair!).
  • Wet towel is always black/gray/navy and dry towel is always white.
  • If legal I would turn every Canada Goose that I see on a golf course into a Christmas Goose. I hate those things. 
  • Haha 2