How much Golf on TV do you need (want) ?

NoTalentLefty

How many tournaments do you need to get enough? How much golf shows or just news do you want?

Mine: 6 tournaments a year , The Players, The Masters, The PGA Championship, The US Open, The Scottish Open, and The British Open. No women’s golf for me though I keep up somewhat on the news. LIV Golf nothing but a circus right now, maybe if they figure out the telecasts. Don’t even care who wins there currently. 

News round up: Hour a week maybe.

Golf shows like Big Break, zero interest.

About clubs and balls coming to the market: I get most from sites like this. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

17 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

The more the merrier. Love watching pros play golf on the pga tour 

Totally agree, PGAT should have left the wraparound season and let the fans choose which ones they want to watch. 2023 was one of the best seasons in recent memory.....

and then the suits went and changed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I personally just watch Majors, Ryder Cup and maybe a few elevated events. Weeks like this one ( John Deere ), I have zero interest.I don't know many of the guys week to week these days. LIV is crap, never watch that. I enjoy some LPGA events as well. 

• Like 1

From a spectator point of view they had it about right before FedEx came into the picture.  Pros started in the January, played through the fall, took a couple of months off.  You had the Masters in the spring then the other majors in the summer. 

I suppose the FedEx deal was to get the players more money, but the result for spectators who want to see the best play on any given week has developed in a negative way.  This is now compounded by the signature events which remove another element from the spectator experience: the long shot who goes low for an upset in a big competition, or at least threatens to.  Nowadays, he’s not even there.  All he can ever win is a second class tournament which nobody watches (witness KWCSPORTS’s comment).

Not much point in complaining about the effect of money on things, but there is a point I think to understanding that there is a conflict between players and others in the golf business getting more money from “growing the game” and the interests of ordinary golfers.

LIV and everybody in it could disappear and I would not care.  Nothing personal but two golf leagues is one two many.

• Like 2

Depends on the quality of the coverage.

In the last couple of hours I've been watching the final round of the Aramco LET event outside London.

Dramatic finish, the eventual winner Leona Maguire has an eagle putt on the last to win (adding, it's 8 ft left to right and downhill - so a difficult enough putt, especially for the win) - she holes it.

Trouble is, just as she strikes the putt, an info balloon from my local streamer in Oz - Fox Sports - displays - "the cricket coverage of blah will be shown after this finishes or some such" over the entire putt's path and the hole so you can't see her strike the putt or it going in the hole.

The incompetency is incredible.

Golf coverage everywhere is just so sub standard - everything is done NOT to show golf.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

How much???  I am in the want part of life, not need.  We switched to streaming a few years back and thrilled with the diverse result.  We get more golf, tennis and Tour de France, and other sports coverage than ever before.  We likey.... 🙂

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Top Pro golfers play 16-18 tournaments a year. Even if they play RC/PC I don't think that they're overworked. They play golf when they go on vacation...... I chuckle when people say that they need an off season. 🤣

The average garbage collector, Letter carrier, or service worker would switch with them in a heartbeat. 🤣

We need a tournament every week. Ratings tanked when we abolished the wraparound.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

As much live shots of pro golfers as possible.  More from the mini tours.  Just make it easy to find so I do not need 15 streaming packages and an app to decode where/when.

Not going to happen any time soon. Cable TV alternatives are still cheaper. Aggravating though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Not going to happen any time soon. Cable TV alternatives are still cheaper. Aggravating though.

The 'easy to find' part will happen soon enough.  That just takes someone with a few programming skills to be motivated enough to make it happen.

The more golf part could happen as there is a lot of golf being shown globally, it just doesn't have a distribution deal for the U.S.  Of course this is complicated, if for no other reason than competitive forces do not want it.

The more golf from more mini tours that is not even available for streaming since no one is broadcasting....that will be tough.  I can see a possible business with more automated drone tech in the future.  Imagine, a production company with a crew of 2, shows up, rotates a bunch of drones for coverage, and AI takes care of the actual producing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Don't the FedEx Cup in Eastlake consist of the thirty best players?

The FedEx starts with the 70 best then drops the 20 or not so good that week then we drop down to the 30 best not sure how that’s not given spectators the best golfers for 3 straight weeks.

Its funny that we had the silly season before FedEx, only thing that changed was they used the silly season to start the year, we still had the best playing January til Sept then they took a few months off. Some posters just post nonsense 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

he more golf from more mini tours that is not even available for streaming since no one is broadcasting....that will be tough.  I can see a possible business with more automated drone tech in the future.  Imagine, a production company with a crew of 2, shows up, rotates a bunch of drones for coverage, and AI takes care of the actual producing.

PGAT could make this happen whenever they want......It's just not profitable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

How many tournaments do you need to get enough? How much golf shows or just news do you want?

Mine: 6 tournaments a year , The Players, The Masters, The PGA Championship, The US Open, The Scottish Open, and The British Open. No women’s golf for me though I keep up somewhat on the news. LIV Golf nothing but a circus right now, maybe if they figure out the telecasts. Don’t even care who wins there currently. 

News round up: Hour a week maybe.

Golf shows like Big Break, zero interest.

About clubs and balls coming to the market: I get most from sites like this. 

I always have PGA Tour Live on in my office.  I rarely watch the talking heads after the rounds but I prefer the smaller events with bigger fields.  I just like watching them compete and how they play the course.  I enjoy when all the big names are on the leaderboard but it's not going to make me watch more.

I like the featured groups because I get to see how the get around the course in order and you see all the shots good and bad.

I just need to watch The Masters and The US Open and I'm good for the year.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Golf is generally on Tv between 5am and 9am where I live and Monday morning is the 4th round. So, I wake up, have a cup of coffee, flip it on and sit back with my laptop passing the time. The bigger events I actually watch. However, for example today, I can't remember anything other than watching Spieth leave a flop shot short in the rough... I am about ready to get outside, water the garden and hit a few pitches... Maybe I'll pick a few blackberries or cherry tomatoes.

I'd watch more women's golf it was on TV. I watch LIV because I can play it as I make dinner at night. I watch the odd JPGA or JLPGA event and they'll have the Japan Amateur sometime this month, both the ladies and the men.

I don't need any, and yet I watch a LOT more than I need. Although I could say I "watch" only a small fraction of what I watch. 

Golf's a great thing to pass the time on the TV from Thu->Sun. At least until college football and the NFL start. On Thu/Fri when I WFH, the ESPN+ coverage goes on typically right when I wake up (on the West Coast, so we get stuff early). I wouldn't say I really catch more than a dozen or two shots all day b/c I'm working, but my dog likes to nap to golf, so he's happy. 

If a tournament is compelling, I'm home, and it's coming down to an interesting Sunday showdown, I'll get more into it. That's where the Thu/Fri (and a little Saturday) stuff helps me understand the nature of the course and the players in contention and how they're playing. If it's a Sunday and some player is winning going away with a 5 shot lead, I tune out (mentally, even if it's still on the TV). 

I definitely pay a little more attention when the majors and the Players get involved. But I don't "need" them. It's not like I avoid tee times on the Sunday morning of a major--I just hope I get home in time to see the leaders on the back 9. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

4 hours ago, jimecherry said:

big break hasnt been on tv in a decade my guy ;}

I do realize that . It was an example only. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

I look forward to the majors and other top-tier events (Players, Memorial, etc). But I do want to watch golf when I want to watch golf, so I like to see tourneys being televised all the time (I love watching Euro event in the morning). I'll dabble in LPGA, USGA and other events. Heck when I'm in the mood I'll even watch a bit of events like the John Deere.

I watch some most weeks. I don't want the merger to mean less. I think the fall series is great, I think DP world tour is great. I like that seems to be on 4X weeks a year. I like the lack of off season and don't need the stars to play to enjoy it. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons