I can't believe I'm asking about a hybrid (low handicap)

RCGA

Background: 

Home course is short (tees between 6100 and 6500y). I play a 2 driver setup (45" 10.5* for distance and a 42.5" 8* for control). I also have a 2i (235y) and 4i (215y) driving irons off a tee. More and more I'm not finding much use for the 2i as I've adopted the "just send driver" philosophy. 

The Par 5s at my course are brutal. Long (525-575y with 3/4 into the wind). Tight fairways. Water in front of two of them. They offer generous bailout areas with light rough. 

The Problem:

I'm almost always in the light-rough-bailout-area with ~210-230y to the hole. I can't get 2i there because clean contact is an issue and it comes out low and runs too much out of the rough. And 4i out of the rough isn't enough club and if I'm going to lay up, I might as well hit something that's a little more predictable.  

I've tried the Callaway UW 21* (41") and a Ping G425 7w (42") but I do not get along with longer clubs off when they're not teed up.  

The Solution: 

Has anyone been in this situation and went with a hybrid essentially only for second shots into par 5s? I'm considering a TSi1 at 3/4" short. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
Ping G410 Plus 9*  w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Totally understand what you are going for, and honestly, does not matter what handicap you are just fit your gaps needed for your game.

I’ve done something similar, but I don’t get along with hybrids.  Instead, I moved to a 5w (stealth +), turned up 1 degree playing at 7w length with a softer shaft (og Kai’Li blue).  It’s been an amazing fit for almost the same kind of need for me.  Mainly use it for par 5 approaches and getting out of the rough where I need to position the ball further down while having the ability to flight it when needed.

Long story short, just fit your gaps and your needs.  Whatever the club is that works, just roll with it and give it a chance to see how it plays on the course. 

• Like 4

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I replaced my 4 iron with a Callaway Paradym 5 hybrid. I put it on -1 setting, so it’s 23* of loft and sits pretty neutral. It’s really easy to hit, launches high, and is amazing from the rough. I also don’t hook it at all (which has historically been a problem for me with hybrids). I ditched my 19* apex uw this season for that same reason. 

Edited by Ca3l

i'm a 2 handicap, and recently added a hybrid to my bag options. For long par 5's, I used to always depend on a 3 iron, but found I could land a hybrid a little more consistently softer with less green rollout. I don't really care for the hybrid on a windy day, and that will usually bring the 3 iron back out. I never used to have an issue with stopping the 3 iron on the green, but as I get older, it's tougher to keep up the speed required for that shot with the 3 iron.  There was time I swore I'd never play a hybrid....

I say, play what works, There are a lot of pros playing hybrids. I've tried a 5 wood, but just prefer the hybrid.

• Like 1

I went to 5W. I used a hybrid for a while now and switched to the 5W(225-240) I had a TM 3 hybrid (230-240) but hard to stop on greens. If I hit a high cut maybe 210-215 which puts me in the 4/5 iron range. I feel the 5 woods is better in most situations for me to hit the par5 in 2. 

I will put the hybrid back in on windy conditions as the ball flight is more piercing and I can use it on shorter holes as a driving club 245-250 even in the wind. Hard to do that with a 5W. 

• Like 2

I replaced my 3w with a Ping g410 2 hybrid.  I already had the 3 hybrid and 4 hybrids in the bag.  I can hit the 2 hybrid 250, which is as long or longer as my 3 wood was (also a Ping G410), but with more control, less punishing misses, and more versatile off a variety of lies.  

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 17*, 19*, 22* Hybrid Alta CB
PXG  0311P Recoil 75 Dart
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
TM Spider Tour X1
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

Can’t hurt to try one, if there’s a club in your bag that you can do without.  If not, it might not make sense to put a hybrid in just for one (or two?) shots a round.

I play just under 6500 yards at our course (2nd tees) and I carry a 9 degree driver, and then either a 5 wood or a 3 hybrid.  I’ve been toying with testing out a two hybrid or a seven wood instead.  But inertia has a hold on me.

• Like 1

Absolutely no shame in bagging a hybrid. I mean, you're already on the "play what works for you" wagon with a 2 driver setup. Welcome to the club, isn't it fun? I say go for it, a lot of good hybrids out there, and some companies make really good products that you can get great deals on.

I'm not too familiar with Titleist, but I believe they are adjustable, so I think that's an excellent plan. 

• Like 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Was expecting more of a “I’m a 25 hdcp looking for a 2 iron” based on the title.

I have a similar setup/gapping thing and went with 5 wood between 3 wood and 2 iron. I only play 2 wedges after my PW and prefer more options in the 215-235 range.

both 2I and 5W go similar yardages but completely different flights. Tried hybrids left and right brand wise and just couldn’t get along. Absolutely love the 5W, long and still enough forgiveness and can get it out of pretty much any lie like a hybrid.

In fact, the other day brutal 460 into wind par 4 snuck into fairway bunker about 200 out (playing at least 220) and hit a mid flight fade 5 wood to 10 feet out of the trap. Also hit a high draw 5 wood around a dog leg from 235 out into par 5 and ended up hole high on the fringe. Anyways, you see why I vote for 5 wood 🤓😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RCGA said:

Background: 

Home course is short (tees between 6100 and 6500y). I play a 2 driver setup (45" 10.5* for distance and a 42.5" 8* for control). I also have a 2i (235y) and 4i (215y) driving irons off a tee. More and more I'm not finding much use for the 2i as I've adopted the "just send driver" philosophy. 

The Par 5s at my course are brutal. Long (525-575y with 3/4 into the wind). Tight fairways. Water in front of two of them. They offer generous bailout areas with light rough. 

The Problem:

I'm almost always in the light-rough-bailout-area with ~210-230y to the hole. I can't get 2i there because clean contact is an issue and it comes out low and runs too much out of the rough. And 4i out of the rough isn't enough club and if I'm going to lay up, I might as well hit something that's a little more predictable.  

I've tried the Callaway UW 21* (41") and a Ping G425 7w (42") but I do not get along with longer clubs off when they're not teed up.  

The Solution: 

Has anyone been in this situation and went with a hybrid essentially only for second shots into par 5s? I'm considering a TSi1 at 3/4" short

I have three TSR1 hybrids - 23*, 26* and 29*.  I play them +1/2 long, because at standard they are 1/2" shorter than the Pings that I was accustomed to.  The TSR2 hybrids might be better for your swing speed.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have TSR2 hybrids -- 18 and 21 -- that are in my rotation. I have even messed around with the 24 and it works well. 

More controlled flight than fairway woods, and just easier and more multi-dimensional than utility irons. 

Titleist TSR3 08.75 - Tour AD VF 6x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 - Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR2 22.00 - Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T100 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i – X100

Titleist SM9 46F 50F 54S 60M – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – Mezz.1 Broomstick

15 hours ago, RCGA said:

......They offer generous bailout areas with light rough. 

The Problem:

I'm almost always in the light-rough-bailout-area with ~210-230y to the hole. I can't get 2i there because clean contact is an issue and it comes out low and runs too much out of the rough. ........

.... I'm considering a TSi1 at 3/4" short. 

Out of light rough don't shorten the hybrid. 

Go more loft and more length. 

I think you already know the answer to your question.  But, I used to insist on playing a 2 iron for safety off the tee.  I switched to a 5w a few years ago and it's been nothing but amazing.  Much better par 5 scoring. And not having the 2 iron safety net off the tee has forced me to become a better driver of the ball too. 

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSR3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSR2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

T200 4, T150 5-7, T100 8-P - PX 6.5 ssx1

Vokey SM7 50F - PX 6.5

Vokey 55S, 60V - PX 6.5 Wedge

Ping PLD Kushin 4

Pro V1

I used to play 2 iron a lot off tee and for running up shots or windy days. Was way more accurate than a wood for me and have played 3 iron up until recently(still goes in bag now and then). I have the TSR3 19 hybrid and love it. Can hit all the shots of a long iron with way more forgiveness and distance. Off the tee I can sneak it out there close to my driver and my misses are still in play. Considering getting the 21 degree for those longer shots into green and turning the 19 down to 18.  

Added good video showing adjusting the TSR3 and outcome. 

Edited by hackalot
  • Like 1

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Ping S159 52, 56, 60
Scotty Newport 2

This thread motivated me to give some TaylorMade Stealth Plus 3 and 4 hybrids that I bought a few years back, and then promptly threw in the garage, another chance.  I did a long range session comparison with my old M6s yesterday and then played yesterday and today.  Wow, what a difference.  15 yards longer, straighter, and more communicative.  Same with the five wood.  Just such an improvement.  I think my swing was in a bad place when I bought these, hence they got shelved.  It’s got me wondering what I might be missing in my off the shelf driver…

look in Bernhard Langer's bag.  

I don't see anything out recently that can out do the old Adams hybrids.  From the carpenter steel faces to the speed slots etc. they were ahead of the game.   You can often find a 9031 with a diamona shaft to suit your swing.  Great shafts (to me) for a hybrid. Adams was the first to my knowledge (which is limited) to sell their heads with decent shafts installed in them.  

check out this on 2nd swing

https://www.2ndswing.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/adams-idea-super-9031-hybrid/right-handed-stiff-graphite-39dot5in-d-52438632220

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Jailbird Cruiser.  

I am not a fan of hybrids and sadly no longer a 2 but 4ish.  It's my belief when we can't hit a fairway with a wood, so pull a long iron to hit the fairway, we'd better well hit the damn fairway.  It's pathetic to watch touring pros or good golfers miss fairways using long irons.

Having said that, good golfers should not look for others to justify their choice in clubs; go with what gets the job done.  

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

@Forged4ever thanks for your comments and perspective I feel that this thread did need the heartfelt response to get the juices flowing. And I get it a strong player wants feedback from other strong players also awesome to see @hackalot here too. 

I think in terms of what One Putt Ken said so many years ago. He "prefers to have very few single task clubs if possible."

n this case I think from 210-235 out of the rough (For mid and high SS) that's clearly what 7woods (20º and up do) 

Tom Wishon's work where he says most players longest clubs often play a little too long for optimum contact and misses comes into play here.

From my own game I've found that I've been more satisfied with my Touredge hybrids because I do play them a titch shorter and with iron shafts Nippon vs wood shafts so I'm able to get consistent results again and again. When my driver SS was around 106 I could play a 7wood from 215-230 now though from 230 that's a full 4wood for me. 

Still to the OP. 7woods are incredible out of the light rough. Maybe see if that's the case for you or not and consider finding an idea length and shaft to help you get just the shot you need. @RCGA 

Fairways and greens everyone! 

I struggle a great deal with driving iron versus hybrid for various reasons....i usually end up with driving iron but it's course dependent and my course favors driving irons

If you have a lot of 220-250 shots that need a lot of height for carry---this is a no brainer. Yes get a hybrid. A driving iron sucks for this. A hybrid will give you much better launch out of any lie.

Honestly if you're playing 2 drivers and can't find room for a hybrid.....

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

7 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I am not a fan of hybrids and sadly no longer a 2 but 4ish.  It's my belief when we can't hit a fairway with a wood, so pull a long iron to hit the fairway, we'd better well hit the damn fairway.  It's pathetic to watch touring pros or good golfers miss fairways using long irons.

Having said that, good golfers should not look for others to justify their choice in clubs; go with what gets the job done.  

Hey Pepper! Can't believe you're up to a 4 these days! And i mean that as a total compliment of course. Hope you're still getting out there and enjoying it

Jeff

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

7 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

FWIW, though this is geared towards those who might be perusing this thread versus the OP, however I just Played with a former Tour Boy and current Champions Tour Player, who won on both the PGA Tour & the Champions Tour, and he alternates tween 2-3  hybrids every week, depending on the track that he's Playin that week. 

There is also a Plus Am on this board who has won City & Regional Tourneys while Placing Top-3 in USGA Mid-Am Tourneys in So Cal, one of THE most competitive areas in the country, spanking Plus Ams who have nothin but shiny metal in their bags from 3i up while he carries 5-6 hybrids in his bag, depending on both the track and how he feels that week, though damn, do their bags look purdy🥴...

My point to those that either might be new to the game, new to the board or new to the world of competitive Scratch/Plus golf(I am a former Player who competed & won at +2.8 to +3.8 for 27+ years) is that a Player is concerned with ONE thing and ONE thing only....Assembling the appropriate bag that allows them to shoot the absolute lowest score possible that day. 

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS!!!

Mid caps, high caps and poseurs concern themselves with how their bag looks to others, versus Players & Pros only care how their bags perform for them.

I am in no way directing this post at the OP, though just based off of the title, I just got the negative vibe regarding putting hybrids in the bag. This IS NOT the feeling of a Player or Pro, as the average Tour Boy carries 1.8 hybrids in their bag while the average Champions Tour Player has 3.2 hybrids in their bag. While the "sexiest" option when considering the alternative to a long iron or hybrid, a Utility iron, simply cuz it has "iron" in its name, please remember that along with a good consistent repeatable swing bein a prereq, swing speed is CRITICAL, almost to the degree that it is with a long iron(3i-4i). Yes, one gets a lil more "help" in movin the ball up and out based on the design, however, it still takes an above average swing speed to deliver that ball down range to a pin 205-225yds away.

Also, even though ya may not agree with either the thread title or the OP's views, a 1-️???

Seriously???

At least he had the stones to post a thread on the board. Why don't ya put your name behind that 1-️, or better yet, put your name then start a thread??

Yah, I thought so😂😂😂

As always, just my .05 worth🪙

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

I'm here less and less but any thread that has Pepper and you Richard makes me miss the old days!!!!

Hope you're doing well

FWIW i got a big match this weekend against a +4, +3 and +3 LOL in the Quebec Match play AM......i'd put a literal Shovel in the bag if it helped me beat these punks haha

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique