Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1302011064' post='3121534'] [quote name='muzz' timestamp='1301994221' post='3121149'] [quote name='Shipwreck' timestamp='1301981081' post='3120977'] A quick question for those that do wear jeans on the course. Do you find it snobbish that a course would require you to wear khaki style pants (or shorts) and a collard shirt? If so then why? If not then why not? I have stated it before and I will state it again, jeans were invented as dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class. Those kind of clothes do not belong on a golf course. Would you wear a pair of oil stained jeans with tons of rips out there? We are all aware that golf is rich in tradition, something that I absolutely love about this game because it separates us from the other sports. Now we also know that knickers and coats are not worn on course anymore but one should agree that a nice pair of golf pants and a polo shirt is probably the next best thing to help keep that dignified and respectable look as well as provide flexibility and comfortability. I am torn at people wearing jeans and a tee shirt on course. Part of me doesn't care but the other half says that if you cannot do something simple like dress appropriately then you probably won't be able to be bothered with such things like 'rules' and 'etiquette'. Just my 2 pesos though. -Shipwreck [/quote] I think your a little mixed up... Rich in tradition? No, that would be FOR the RICH :rolleyes: "dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class"?- How's your pompous? Dress appropriately? Appropriately for whom? So your saying if someone wears jeans he couldn't be bothered with "Rules" or "Etiquette"? You Sir are perfect for Bushwood...don't forget your loufer..... I don't wear jeans on the course, and I don't go to fancy golf courses like Bushwood either....wouldn't want to because it would involve pompous losers that judge you by how much $ you spent on your clothes........ Bah....and folks like you talk about etiquette. [/quote] I see that reading comprehension is not your strength there buddy. With the eloquence of a drunk eating his own puke you stumbled straight the the point completely oblivious. You very cleverly quoted only a small part of my jeans comment, the part you felt was 'pompous'. Did you even read it all? Here is my quote including the part you happened to leave out: [quote] I have stated it before and I will state it again, jeans were invented as dirty work clothes for farmers and the working class.[/quote] Don't believe me? Here is a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans"]link for the history of jeans[/url] for you to educate yourself with. Now golf has been around for a little longer than a hundred years correct? And like I said it is rich in tradition, something you apparently scoff at. Yet you give no rebuttal to that point I have made. Why? Anyway as I was saying, golf has been around a decently long time and yes at the beginning it was mainly a sport of noble men and people of wealth and status. Things have obviously changed regarding who can play it (something I don't think anyone can disagree with) but you think that just because they want to keep the noble elegance (in clothing) around that makes them pompous? Maybe baseball players should start wearing jeans or shorts out on the field. Or basketball players with khakis. Every sport you play has a certain kind of 'uniform' that one is somewhat expected to wear. Why should golf be any different? They are made this way for comfort, ease of movement and to look nice. I don't care if you are wearing a $1000 pair of designer jeans with a $2000 designer shirt, you will look out of place next to someone wearing a $10 pair of slacks and a $5 golf shirt. I am not pompous by any means but I do enjoy taking what I do serious. I also do not wear shorts on the course either but I guess that's pompous and arrogant of me isn't it. I could care less about courses like Bushwood or whatever. My course does have an attire code so unfortunately those who wear jeans would not be permitted. Let me ask you this then. Even though you don't wear jeans and people like me are obviously pompous and somehow lack etiquette (I have never found anything about worrying about someones clothes in the Golf Etiquette book so maybe you can help me), what do you say to clubs like Augusta? That is the cream of the crop of the golf world yet they have a rich history (not to be confused with history of rich people) that doesn't date back too terribly far, yet their regulations far exceed that of pretty much any course in the world. But I guess that makes them pompous right? I'm sure you wouldn't be caught dead playing there (even if you could). [/quote]

I don't think they consider people who dress up to play snobs. I think the snobs they refer to are the ones who seem to think they're better than everyone who decides to wear jeans. And who decides that it's appropriate and not? Your opinion on the matter? Where I play they are appropriate. Where you play they aren't, ok great. And made for the working class? Yes, but they have moved well beyond their original function. That statement does tend to come off as condescending, whether you meant it to be or not.

I have made a few comments throughout the life of this topic (which I think has gone on longer than it should have). Obviously wear them where they allow it. If you want to play a private course that requires slacks then you'll have to wear slacks. I think the problem is people are getting bashed for wearing them where it is permitted. It's now a game of the masses. I am a blue collar worker. I wear blue jeams to work and wear slacks on special occassions. I don't want to feel like I have to play dress up when I go to my local track. I think some people are getting defensive here, me included, because people are looking down on them for their lifestyle/social class. When I see someone comment that anyone who wears jeans must be a hack or a hilbilly or something along those lines, I get offended. I am far from a hillilly or a hack. There are plenty of people who wear their matching Puma outfit topped off with a Ricky Fowler hat that I can beat heads up. I don't have an opinion on what other people wear. It's there business not mine. As far as respect for the game, that also includes respecting the people who play it.

And on Augusta, it falls into the catagory of they own it, they can make the rules. But if I were to play it, and they allowed jeans, it would fall under the catagory of one of those special occassions.(cool)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this topic is turning into argument. I have stated my case, I just wish others could do that without insulting eachother.

Let's just all agree to disagree and be done with it. :friends:

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1302025667' post='3122434']
[quote name='Treykook' timestamp='1301342875' post='3096808']
My club just went through a change in ownership (which also opened up the course to public play) and despite a note posted on the front door of the pro shop that jeans aren't allowed, they've decided that green money trumps blue jeans (and as a member, I get that we need all the money we can scrape in). Now that the genie is out of the bottle, though, some members are now wearing jeans to dinner. We're not a big snobby club. This is small-town USA here, but I believe that a pair of khaki pants and a collared shirt isn't out of anyone's reach. I just don't want to become the local Bushwood. If I set foot on the property, I won't be wearing jeans.
[/quote]

My old club did this, and I mentioned it to the GM and the head pro as well as my dislike for the new policy. I also mentioned I would just jump to another club where I didnt have to watch "people of wal-mart" on the putting green. Trust me, no snob here, grew up in rural country as hell oklahoma.. but who on gods green earth doesnt understand that kahkis and a polo are golfing atire?

Thats what muni's are for..
[/quote]

"People of Wal-Mart"? This is the point I am trying to make. What makes you so much better than everyone else? You can afford to join a country club, well done. So you would switch clubs all together because you don't want to see jeans or t-shirts? Or just the fact that it's now a public course?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

[quote name='radiman' timestamp='1302026511' post='3122496']
My club just went through a change in ownership (which also opened up the course to public play) and despite a note posted on the front door of the pro shop that jeans aren't allowed, they've decided that green money trumps blue jeans (and as a member, I get that we need all the money we can scrape in). Now that the genie is out of the bottle, though, some members are now wearing jeans to dinner. We're not a big snobby club. This is small-town USA here, but I believe that a pair of khaki pants and a collared shirt isn't out of anyone's reach. I just don't want to become the local Bushwood. If I set foot on the property, I won't be wearing jeans.
[/quote]

My old club did this, and I mentioned it to the GM and the head pro as well as my dislike for the new policy. I also mentioned I would just jump to another club where I didnt have to watch "people of wal-mart" on the putting green. Trust me, no snob here, grew up in rural country as hell oklahoma.. but who on gods green earth doesnt understand that kahkis and a polo are golfing atire?

[/quote]

"People of Wal-Mart"? This is the point I am trying to make. What makes you so much better than everyone else? You can afford to join a country club, well done. So you would switch clubs all together because you don't want to see jeans or t-shirts? Or just the fact that it's now a public course?
[/quote]

"The People of Wal-Mart" = "Some people just don't belonnnnnnnnnnnng"

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Public or private makes no difference. You can buy slacks and a polo at Walmart. Shoot, you can go to a thrift store and buy great golf clothes — my wife has outfitted me in Nike, Cutter&Buck and Greg Norman stuff that came out of the local thrift shop for a buck or two an item. Like I said, slacks and a collar aren't out of anyone's reach. I grew up playing the goatiest of goat tracks, but I never wore jeans because I was taught that you dressed decently out of respect for the game.

[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1302025738' post='3122439']
If you dont care about your own appearance why would i think you would care about the courses appearance "ie fixing divots, ball marks, trash etc..."
[/quote]

Why, do you think that someone that is wearing nice jeans cares less about the state of the golf course than a rich guy that looks like he stepped off the clown wagon?

Rich people are less apt to pick up after themselves, I don't totally blame them though.......most of them have never had to :clapping:.

[quote name='Treykook' timestamp='1302029268' post='3122684']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Public or private makes no difference. You can buy slacks and a polo at Walmart. Shoot, you can go to a thrift store and buy great golf clothes — my wife has outfitted me in Nike, Cutter&Buck and Greg Norman stuff that came out of the local thrift shop for a buck or two an item. Like I said, slacks and a collar aren't out of anyone's reach. I grew up playing the goatiest of goat tracks, but I never wore jeans because I was taught that you dressed decently out of respect for the game.
[/quote]

And I grew up with jeans being acceptable. Does it make it wrong? Why is your way the only way?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I don't see how playing in jeans is more comfortable than playing in golf pants anyway.

Titleist 8.5 degree TS3 w/ 65 Even Flow 6.5
Titleist 15 degree TS3 w/ 75 Even Flow 6.5 
Titleist 2 iron 718 T-MB w/ Project X PXi 6.5
Titleist 4 iron 718 T-MB w/ Modus 120X
Titleist 5-PW 718 CB's w/ Modus 120X
Titleist Vokey SM7 52, 56, 50 degree w/ Modus 120X
Odyssey O Works Black 2M CS w/ Stability EI-GJ-1.0 34 7/8 inches 

[quote name='radiman' timestamp='1302032559' post='3122914']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I grew up with jeans being acceptable. Does it make it wrong? Why is your way the only way?
[/quote]

I never said it was the only way. I'm saying it's the way I prefer to dress because I was taught to respect the game, and it's how I prefer visitors who come to my club dress since there's a dress code in place. I don't fault the people for wearing jeans; I fault the pro shop for not enforcing the dress code that's outlined in the club bylaws and letting the issue get out of hand. Wear your jeans if you want if you come play; just don't be offended if I remind you the next time you come out that our dress code requires slacks and a collared shirt. I have friends who play the muni in jeans and t-shirts, but when they come play with me, they bust out slacks and a collar. It's not that hard. You're trying to paint this as an elitist vs. joe six-pack thing, and it's not. Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game that is heavy on rules and etiquette, and we should dress accordingly whether we're members at Augusta or a weekend warrior at the executive course cut out of someone's cow pasture. Would you show up at a formal dinner in jeans? If church is your thing, do you go in jeans and a t-shirt?

[quote name='Treykook' timestamp='1302034157' post='3123048']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I never said it was the only way. I'm saying it's the way I prefer to dress because I was taught to respect the game, and it's how I prefer visitors who come to my club dress since there's a dress code in place. I don't fault the people for wearing jeans; I fault the pro shop for not enforcing the dress code that's outlined in the club bylaws and letting the issue get out of hand. Wear your jeans if you want if you come play; just don't be offended if I remind you the next time you come out that our dress code requires slacks and a collared shirt. I have friends who play the muni in jeans and t-shirts, but when they come play with me, they bust out slacks and a collar. It's not that hard. You're trying to paint this as an elitist vs. joe six-pack thing, and it's not. Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game that is heavy on rules and etiquette, and we should dress accordingly whether we're members at Augusta or a weekend warrior at the executive course cut out of someone's cow pasture. Would you show up at a formal dinner in jeans? If church is your thing, do you go in jeans and a t-shirt?
[/quote]

But it sounds like you're saying it is the only way because of the connotation that a jean wearer is less of a person/golfer.

If that is the dress code at your club, I would honor it without question, and applaud you for pointing it out to someone not adhering.

It is a gentleman's game,but why is it that a gentleman cannot be wearing jeans? I would bet that many of the people who are so dead set against jeans would actually really enjoy a round with many of those same people they are bashing for their choice in clothing. It just seems to me there are SO many things that are more important on the course than that.

And to the person asking about jeans to church. I think it much more important that you are there then what you are wearing, and if you're sitting in church judging someone because they are in jeans you may want to revisit the reason you're there in the first place.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1302038426' post='3123328']
[quote name='Treykook' timestamp='1302034157' post='3123048']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But it sounds like you're saying it is the only way because of the connotation that a jean wearer is less of a person/golfer.

If that is the dress code at your club, I would honor it without question, and applaud you for pointing it out to someone not adhering.

It is a gentleman's game,but why is it that a gentleman cannot be wearing jeans? I would bet that many of the people who are so dead set against jeans would actually really enjoy a round with many of those same people they are bashing for their choice in clothing. It just seems to me there are SO many things that are more important on the course than that.

And to the person asking about jeans to church. I think it much more important that you are there then what you are wearing, and if you're sitting in church judging someone because they are in jeans you may want to revisit the reason you're there in the first place.
[/quote]

Again, you are making an inference about a point that isn't there. No one ever said that someone wearing jeans is less of a person or a golfer. You can be a scratch and play in jeans, but I've never seen a scratch wearing anything other than slacks or golf shorts and a collared shirt. Appearance has its place in society. Church dress — I don't judge anyone for anything. Not my place. I merely asked the question. If you wear jeans to church, would you wear a wing-stained t-shirt with them? What about an interview for a really good job? Would you show up to one of those in jeans? You never know who you'll meet on a golf course, and my personal rule is always make a good first impression, and that's where dress comes in. How we dress is the first impression we offer. True, we can look like a million bucks and be complete jerks, just as we can look totally bummy and be the coolest kids on the block. At the same time, if you go anywhere, much less the golf course, looking ragged and ratty, that sends signals. At what level does how we dress begin to be disrespectful to the occasion? This isn't to say that jeans on the golf course is disrespectful — it's a much broader question than that.

When I was a teenager my Uncle was the one that golfed, and he was the one that took me out and taught me.....he taught me to not yell or swear on the course,to be quiet when people were swinging/putting, to not walk on someones line, to repair all divots and ballmarks, and even to fix a ball mark or 2 that someone else failed to do if I had the time to do so(boy he hated lazy people for that)....He was a bit older, so when he was having trouble day we'd be a lil slow, and he taught me that the correct thing to do there was to wave people on and let them play through.
In other words he taught me to respect the game, and to act like an adult/gentleman out there(and it wasn't always EZ).

When he was teaching me to respect the game, he never mentioned that I shouldn't wear jeans even though he didn't, aamof he didn't even mention it once and I golfed with him at least 50 times, most of the time I was probably wearing them, completely oblivious that I was causing heart attacks and meltdowns all over the place.

Muzz — your uncle sounds just like the guy who took me under his wing and taught me just because his son and I were (and still are) best friends. One of the things he always said: "If you can't play, at least try to fool someone." That meant look the part if you can't play the part and covered etiquette, attitude and appearance.

I completely understand that there are clubs out there that don't allow it. I completely respect that. And if someone thinks it's proper to wear slacks that's fine to. I have a deep respect for the game. I do get what you're saying. I'm not trying to turn this into a elitist vs. Joe six pack debate. But it seems to be implied that people who do wear jeans don't respect the game. As long as someone is a decent person I'd be happy to play a round with them regardless what they're wearing,.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

^^^Well said. Though I wear jeans on the course, if there is a dress code I will always adhere. Otherwise, its jeans or shorts. Also to the guy who says wearing jeans means you dont respect yourself, so you wont respect the course. The jeans I wear would probably make your khakis look like burlap. I take pride in how I look, that includes spending good money on quality denim.

[quote name='whitefro' timestamp='1302070491' post='3125010']
^^^Well said. Though I wear jeans on the course, if there is a dress code I will always adhere. Otherwise, its jeans or shorts. Also to the guy who says wearing jeans means you dont respect yourself, so you wont respect the course. The jeans I wear would probably make your khakis look like burlap. I take pride in how I look, that includes spending good money on quality denim.
[/quote]

I don't care if your jeans sparkle more than David Bowie from Labyrinth fighting Edward Cullen in the middle of an Arizona summer. Jeans are not a replacement for a nice pair of slacks. We know what your jeans are made of....denim. No two ways around that. Our slacks are often made of a slightly higher caliber of fiber (depending on the route you take) and a fresh pressed pair of slacks is razor sharp. I've never seen a sharp looking pair of jeans. Then again I don't golf in 'golf pant's for the most part (I do own a few pairs), I actually buy a lot of dress slacks for golf.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Just out of curiosity here. To those who are adamant that there should be no jeans on the course whatsoever. If you are at a course that does not have a dress code and they pair you with someone in jeans, then what?

Do you choose not to play with someone you've never met because they are wearing jeans. Do you go ahead and play with them and have it bother you the entire round?

I don't care if your jeans sparkle more than David Bowie from Labyrinth fighting Edward Cullen in the middle of an Arizona summer. Jeans are not a replacement for a nice pair of slacks. We know what your jeans are made of....denim. No two ways around that. Our slacks are often made of a slightly higher caliber of fiber (depending on the route you take) and a fresh pressed pair of slacks is razor sharp. I've never seen a sharp looking pair of jeans. Then again I don't golf in 'golf pant's for the most part (I do own a few pairs), I actually buy a lot of dress slacks for golf.

Ryan Moore wears pants with pleats in the BACK, John Daley wears pants that Bozo wouldn't wear, and more and more PROFESSIONAL golfers are wearing PANTS (not slacks) that are styled EXACTLY like Jeans, and seem to be purposely skirting the rules....

How can you even watch the PGA anymore, you must gouge your eyes out! black%20eye.gif :blind:

[quote name='racerken' timestamp='1302093966' post='3125293']
[quote name='KGcanada' timestamp='1301585734' post='3105711']
if you wear jeans your a chop....and i will hit in to you allllllll day long
[/quote]

i would love for you to hit into my group. then you could start a new thread on how to remove your own blood from your slacks and polo.
[/quote]

This guy wears jeans.. prolly Lee too... "real tough jeans"

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not rich by any means, but If I pay $200 a month for unlimited golf at a semi private course, and I adhere to the dress code, you betcha britches denim or khaki I want the daily fee guests to follow it as well...

When they stop enforcing the dress code that gives our semi private hole in the wall a slightly nicer appearance... well thats when I will bounce.. If the members that pay money have to follow the dress code so does the general public...

And yes.. people of wal-mart.. [color="#008000"]www.[b]peopleofwalmart.com[/b][/color]

Bottom line is... you can go to Marshalls or Ross and come out with a nice looking outfit for your Sunday round... hell you will feel so nice in those clothes you might wear them more often....

I mean that Grave Digger t-shirt is pretty worn out.....

Ryan Moore wears pants with pleats in the BACK, John Daley wears pants that Bozo wouldn't wear, and more and more PROFESSIONAL golfers are wearing PANTS (not slacks) that are styled EXACTLY like Jeans, and seem to be purposely skirting the rules....

How can you even watch the PGA anymore, you must gouge your eyes out! black%20eye.gif :blind:

Please Muzz, don't try to open closed minds with facts.

Now, this guy looks like a player!

IMG00056.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

IMG00056.jpg

That guy would empty your wallet faster than you can say provisional....

[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1302098216' post='3125456']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not rich by any means, but If I pay $200 a month for unlimited golf at a semi private course, and I adhere to the dress code, you betcha britches denim or khaki I want the daily fee guests to follow it as well...

When they stop enforcing the dress code that gives our semi private hole in the wall a slightly nicer appearance... well thats when I will bounce.. If the members that pay money have to follow the dress code so does the general public...

And yes.. people of wal-mart.. [color="#008000"]www.[b]peopleofwalmart.com[/b][/color]

Bottom line is... you can go to Marshalls or Ross and come out with a nice looking outfit for your Sunday round... hell you will feel so nice in those clothes you might wear them more often....

[/quote]

If the course has a dress code, then yes they should have to follow the rules. But to say you'll leave a club just because of the dress code seems ridiculous to me. It's your dime though so it's your decision to make. I just don't feel I should have to dress that way just to satisfy everyone else, and to think that anyone who doesn't dress that way doesn't have respect for the game is out of hand. If the muni I play at decided to start using a dress code, then I would abide by those rules.

And besides I'm more of a bigfoot fan myself.

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I see you are from MN. It's different here. People dress for the weather. I was at the range a couple weekends ago, and every single person there had jeans on. No one paid attention to one anothers pants, fortunately, and no one even made mention of it, miraculously. Only reason I took notice was thinking of this goofy thread.

I've read a couple times comparing golf to work. Huh?? It's the diametric opposite of work. What does work have to do with golf, other than it pays for it??

[quote name='radiman' timestamp='1302109714' post='3126016']
[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1302098216' post='3125456']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If the course has a dress code, then yes they should have to follow the rules. But to say you'll leave a club just because of the dress code seems ridiculous to me. It's your dime though so it's your decision to make. I just don't feel I should have to dress that way just to satisfy everyone else, and to think that anyone who doesn't dress that way doesn't have respect for the game is out of hand. If the muni I play at decided to start using a dress code, then I would abide by those rules.

And besides I'm more of a bigfoot fan myself.
[/quote]

At least I know we can share beers over a sleeve-less shirt.... :drinks:

IMG00056.jpg

Ohh yeah, that dude looks the ballz!!

At least he isn't wearing "dirty man clothes of the working class"

LMAO :birthday:

IMG00056.jpg

Ohh yeah, that dude looks the ballz!!

At least he isn't wearing "dirty man clothes of the working class"

LMAO :birthday:

Like i said.. take your money before you can say provisional....