Pure745's WITB

Any thoughts on the AP3 vs the T-MB?

The fitter said not to try it after seeing me hit the 718 TMB. He said it's going to go a lot higher and has more offset and I was striping the TMB so not to bother. Sorry I don't have more info other than that.

One more thing - which wedge shafts did you PX 6.5 guys go with in the 54, 60? Same flex? One softer?

Played PX 6.5 for 8 years before trying AMT X100 the last couple. PX wedge experiements never worked for me, your milage may vary though. Tried every flex in the PX, but always stuck with DG in the wedges for feel. Even going down to PX 5.5 in the higher lofted wedges felt weird to me, PX just loads differently and didn't work with my wedge swing unless it was a full yardage. PX 6.0 and 6.5 were ok in the PW and GW for the same reason (more full shots).

On another note, did you feel like the 718 TMB was a big upgrade or was the difference mostly down to the shaft?

I feel like the 718 is better. Looks are similarly "whatever" but the 718 just goes really far, love it as a driving iron/utility, didn't test in anything lower so can't comment on that, but for what I need it to do, it's a beast.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

After thinking more about the fitting, I think I'm going to go with the LZ 6.5 hard stepped 3-PW and regular 6.5 in the rest of my set. The thought of hitting the PX's and how they load/harshness just makes my hand cringe :) I loved the way the LZ's felt and they made hitting the clubs a joy rather me bracing for impact with the PX's. The numbers were better with the PX, but I'm hoping hard stepping the LZ's will knock the spin down a touch and in my mind, brings them pretty spot on to what would work well. I hit the PX's pretty high to be fair, so I didn't find the LZ's exceptionally higher.

Thoughts?

Bag would be:

718 TMB 3i

718 CB 4-6

718 MB 7-9

SM7 Raw 46F all with PX LZ 6.5 hard stepped

SM7 Raw 50F, 54S (or 54V) and SM6 60V with PX LZ 6.5

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

After thinking more about the fitting, I think I'm going to go with the LZ 6.5 hard stepped 3-PW and regular 6.5 in the rest of my set. The thought of hitting the PX's and how they load/harshness just makes my hand cringe :) I loved the way the LZ's felt and they made hitting the clubs a joy rather me bracing for impact with the PX's. The numbers were better with the PX, but I'm hoping hard stepping the LZ's will knock the spin down a touch and in my mind, brings them pretty spot on to what would work well. I hit the PX's pretty high to be fair, so I didn't find the LZ's exceptionally higher.

Thoughts?

If you've ever had joint/hand issues I think std. Project X is tough. Especially where you have a tendency to jump out of your car and run to the first tee. LZs seem like a great compromise. And if you feel like they get a little spinny but have no other complaints you could always mess around with the standard ProV1. The ‘17 version is suprisingly lower launching and spinning than previous models.

Thoughts?

Bag would be:

718 TMB 3i

718 CB 4-6

718 MB 7-9

SM7 Raw 46F all with PX LZ 6.5 hard stepped

SM7 Raw 50F, 54S (or 54V) and SM6 60V with PX LZ 6.5

Just curious did you try any graphite shafts today, and if so just curious how they compared to PX LZ?

EDIT: Guess me the poster above had the same thought at the same time.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

pure, did you try any other graphite shafts during your fitting or did you just stick with the steel stuff?

They didn't have any of the good graphite stuff in X - but I know my #'s with graphite compared to my Fuji's and these steel shafts were just better and more stable. It was pretty windy so that helped expose the graphite a bit more.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Thanks for sharing. I always like reading how you end up with what's in your bag. I've been interested in the 718 ap2's or the tm p770's, so been thinking about going down to get fit. Can't remember the last time I went to get fit for irons. Do you need to do any loft adjustments with the cb to mb, or just go with standard loft on that transition?

Titleist TSR3 9* Diamana ZF 60s
Titleist TSR3 15* Kai'li 70s

TM SIM2 Ti 19* Kai'li 70s

Titleist TSR3 24* Atmos Blue 8s
Srixon ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX6 46,50,54,58 
Betti BB46 or QB6 or Betti BB Proto

I found the 6.5 LZ to feel excellent. I had a hard time hitting cuts with them though. Could have been the heads they were in. Sounds like you are on the right track by hard stepping them.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I have 718 AP2s with PX LZ 6.5. I think I prefer the feel of normal PX 6.5 - I think they feel more stable. When I was demoing the clubs, I actually liked normal PX 6.5 the best, but went with LZ 6.5 as I had a set of new PX 6.5s under the house that I could use if required. I am thinking about giving them a try, although I did just buy a set of the new X-Forged off ebay.

Have you thought about grabbing a couple of old heads from Flea Bay or one of your back-up sets and installing a std PX and hard stepped LZ into one club each for a deeper trial run? It seems as if each time you've been previously fit, the set-up seemed pretty definitive post fitting.

Did the std PX feel 'bad' or simply 'different' (especially after a year plus on graphite...)?

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

For what little it's worth, like your idea of hard-stepping LZ instead of going with PX. Would seem likely to offer the best spin control without the feel getting too harsh.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Have you thought about grabbing a couple of old heads from Flea Bay or one of your back-up sets and installing a std PX and hard stepped LZ into one club each for a deeper trial run? It seems as if each time you've been previously fit, the set-up seemed pretty definitive post fitting.

Did the std PX feel 'bad' or simply 'different' (especially after a year plus on graphite...)?

No, PX feel horrible to me. At TPI two years ago PX and DG X100 were the two best in terms of #'s, but my dispersion with the X100 was so much better because the way it loaded got along with my swing. This year the PX was better than my TPI fitting in terms of dispersion since my swing has changed a bit after my hand surgery. They just feel really harsh, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

For what little it's worth, like your idea of hard-stepping LZ instead of going with PX. Would seem likely to offer the best spin control without the feel getting too harsh.

Thanks, I placed my order last night, I think it's the safest bet. My fear of the PX's is that I get them on course and don't get along with the way they feel/load for me. When the LZ's just felt great and the numbers were good. I've never hard or soft stepped anything before so this will be new for me.

Tai, did you do any shaft testing for your 3 wood?

Not yet, I have the Atmos Black 8tx and need to switch it up.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

No, PX feel horrible to me. At TPI two years ago PX and DG X100 were the two best in terms of #'s, but my dispersion with the X100 was so much better because the way it loaded got along with my swing. This year the PX was better than my TPI fitting in terms of dispersion since my swing has changed a bit after my hand surgery. They just feel really harsh, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Thanks, I placed my order last night, I think it's the safest bet. My fear of the PX's is that I get them on course and don't get along with the way they feel/load for me. When the LZ's just felt great and the numbers were good. I've never hard or soft stepped anything before so this will be new for me.

Tai, did you do any shaft testing for your 3 wood?

Not yet, I have the Atmos Black 8tx and need to switch it up.

It is definitely a fine line. For example, I don’t feel PX is harsh at all, and gives me the best dispersion with mid-high and flat trajectory. BUT, a C Taper just feels horrible to me, and DG seems super spinny. That’s why they make more than one.

I think the lz's will work out fine if you got them stiffer like you did. I've got a 10% off coupon for set of clubs I've got to use by the 6th at Discount Dans so I plan on ordering something in next couple days. Leaning towards the 718 3-4 tmb or ap2 and mb set. Been trying out the 730's, apex mb and mp18's but something about the look of titleist irons that I've always really liked over others. Always have a hard time deciding to order PX because of feel so I'm still trying to figure out a shaft. Basically I've got a like 4 days and don't know what to order yet, haha

Order placed :partytime2:

My goodness Titleist stuff is expensive :vava: Very excited for the new sticks though! I think this might be my record of non-ho'ing irons. Since my 716's 2 years ago, I think I've only gamed the Honma TW737's and the TM 750's (I think), which is an earth shattering record of not buying/trying irons for me :) I did try the Apex MB's and a few others, but really found it just easier to stick with Titleist and didn't find anything better with my tinkering. Right now my bag is 100% Titleist which makes me seem like an ultra fanboy (which I might be at this point) but more and more I just like the product and the system.

In a recent group chat with some GolfWRX celebs (kidding) the topic premium/tour fitting centers came up. Honestly, the reason I'm still in Titleist is 100% due to my fitting experiences at TPI. Your mileage may vary, but for me, the TPI experience was hands down the most thorough leaving no stone unturned across the board where the results ACTUALLY translated to the course and the specs could be replicated in the future without me having to go through the full process again unless I wanted to. I've had tour level fittings at other OEM's and premium fittings at places like Cool Clubs where in some cases the results didn't translate to the course. Now with my work/life/kid schedule, my time is more valuable and I just need to go with what works and is easiest.

For me it was Titleist, for you it could be Ping, Cally, TM, whatever.. but just wanted to give some insight as to the "why" Titleist for me. I've received a lot of messages asking about other OEM's but the reasons above are why I went with the set up I did and hopefully not making my posts sound like a Titleist infomercial :) So many of my friends play clubs they get good deals on and the same guys are the ones switching clubs every 3 months in place of another cool set they got a hook up on, after it's all said and done, even though it cost a lot up front for me to get to where I can trust the results I'm seeing based off fittings, I end up spending less than my buddies cycling through clubs all the time. Or, I'm just getting old. :censored2:

Anyways - thanks to everyone for commenting with their feedback and buddies I've bugged about stupid golf related nonsense over the past few weeks/months trying to figure out what new clubs to get :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

It is definitely a fine line. For example, I don't feel PX is harsh at all, and gives me the best dispersion with mid-high and flat trajectory. BUT, a C Taper just feels horrible to me, and DG seems super spinny. That's why they make more than one.

Yeah, I hate the C-Taper. The PX is better, but my swing like a little load in the shaft, the PX results were solid, but just don't work well for my swing. The good is great but sometimes it kicks my ball right, it did that this time and also 2 years ago at TPI. Not sure what it is, I guess I can't feel the shaft load at all? I also hit the PX pretty high but flat like you mentioned. I feel like the LZ is a great mix between that and the X100. I agree with you the X100 tends to be spinny or balloon more than the PX in the wind or on wipey shots.. if the LZ's don't work, I'm going to put the PX's in.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

It is definitely a fine line. For example, I don't feel PX is harsh at all, and gives me the best dispersion with mid-high and flat trajectory. BUT, a C Taper just feels horrible to me, and DG seems super spinny. That's why they make more than one.

Yeah, I hate the C-Taper. The PX is better, but my swing like a little load in the shaft, the PX results were solid, but just don't work well for my swing. The good is great but sometimes it kicks my ball right, it did that this time and also 2 years ago at TPI. Not sure what it is, I guess I can't feel the shaft load at all? I also hit the PX pretty high but flat like you mentioned. I feel like the LZ is a great mix between that and the X100. I agree with you the X100 tends to be spinny or balloon more than the PX in the wind or on wipey shots.. if the LZ's don't work, I'm going to put the PX's in.

curious why do you hate c taper, the counter balance feel?

curious why do you hate c taper, the counter balance feel?

Feels like a board to me, very harsh feel, not quite as bad the PX, but if you've noticed I gravitate towards the DG or LZ vs. shafts like the C-Taper/PX. Add to that the hand surgery and I sway even more away from harsh feeling shafts (to me) and go towards smoother feeling shafts like the LZ. I've never liked the C-Taper though.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Hope they work great. What I can conclusively say is you shouldn't buy the Ping AWT in a set of G400's. I happened to use a demo set in Scottsdale a few weeks back (running too late to check my clubs). Your ball might burn up upon re-entry :)

You can't go wrong with Titleist clubs.

Except for their drivers. They spin like a top and are lacking ball speed.

:busted_cop:

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I'm no Titleist homer, but 6 out of the last 12 major champions played Titleist drivers.....
  • AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

:russian_roulette:

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

Yeah true, prob better off with a Grenade driver.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

I'm no Titleist homer, but 6 out of the last 12 major champions played Titleist drivers.....

I feel like that is such a meaningless stat. Tiger won half his majors with a Nike driver he couldn't hit.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

6.5 PX feel terrible but perform. LZ obviously feel much better but don’t perform as well with control IMO. I played px 6.5 for years and switched to Nippon. Super peening blue. Feel better than LZ perform better than px.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona