Pure745's WITB

Recognize that AP2 is not your cup of tea but would you mind asking about the technical changes between 716 and 718? In years past Titleist has been a little more forthcoming with the technical data (or at least the design objectives) but I can't seem to find any this year.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

46 and 50 SM7? What finish?

Right now I have the gunmetal in the SM6.. contemplating waiting for the raw SM7, but you and I know I can't wait that long. Was thinking of the new gunmetal or the black, but also the silver to match set kind of speaks to me :) Who knows.. too many options for my small brain. The V grinds are oil can, so I was thinking maybe silver or gunmetal in the 46, 54.

I stopped reading after "I think the 917D3 is one of the best drivers I've owned" :taunt:

Interested to see how iron shafts test for ya. You know my predicament with the elbow so i'm doing a fitting vicariously through you next week. :wave:

Lol! Honestly, if I think back to all of my self funded "Shootouts", Cool Clubs fittings, Oven WRX fittings, TPI fittings etc.. the 910, 913, 915, and now 917 have ALWAYS been in the mix. Same story.. they've always been a little short of the past Trackman stars, but has always been 1 or 2 most playable. Keep in mind that in my experience the retail heads are toe to toe against tour issued heads that I have to search for in the past to get the specs how I wanted them - one thing I like about Titleist is that the retail stuff is damn near the same as the tour stuff.. and I like the fact that they allow the consumer to dial in the drivers someone on tour would be able to.

Also - reading through your reviews, my reviews, others on here.. theres a major diminishing return in drivers and equipment over the past few years. Shafts too.. I've spent a LOT of time and money over the past 10+ years on here and keep seeing the trends. Always almost the same.. the TM drivers have been about the same for a while.. I'd love to get my SLDR tour on Trackman against the M4, I'd bet money it's +/- 5 yards and 1-2 mph ball speed.. which on the course doesn't matter at all, you could get a good bounce or a bad bounce and have the results skewed. Callaway has made major improvements.. but again, put the same SLDR or whatever against the new Cally stuff.. same type of +/-. That all said.. I always have to have the latest and greatest, that's just how I am. Testing stuff is exciting and keeps the game fun and mixes up the conversations from stale country club politics or listening to golf nerds talk about this and that and complain about the greens/bunkers/rough/fairways/etc. :)

I am excited for this fitting. I haven't been fit for irons in 2 years and I'm about 20lbs fatter, one broken bone surgically removed from my hand, one kid heavier, and time/$/perspective have changed a good deal in the past 2 years :)

Not even sure I'm still fit to what I'm playing but it will be reassuring to know either I'm still the CB/MB X100 guy.. or something else :)

Recognize that AP2 is not your cup of tea but would you mind asking about the technical changes between 716 and 718? In years past Titleist has been a little more forthcoming with the technical data (or at least the design objectives) but I can't seem to find any this year.

I've heard great things about the 718 over the 716 in the AP2. The CB, I have heard the 718 is better.. the MB looks the same. I've had the same irons for 2 years, probably 300+ rounds on them and they are beat to sh*t. I just want new clubs.. it's time :) I've also had my eye on the new TMB which looks 100x better than the 716 based on what I've seen from a few guys that have it on course.

All in all.. I will say that the journey of testing clubs in the constant search of the "perfect" setup and bugging your buddies and getting feedback and opinions and then the banter on the course with your new shiny toys is and has always been a really fun part of the game. No matter how competitive or non-competitive my rounds are.. talking equipment is always fun! :) :drinks:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

46 F Chrome to match irons

50.12 F Chrome

54.10 F Bent to 55 Black

60.12 D Black

D grind looks pretty cool, looks to be a mix of M and V grind.

Talked to my fitter at TPI.. the D grind is a high bounce M grind and the V is still a completely different animal, not similar to the D. His words.. looks like I'm stockpiling.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Man, what is the world coming to?! Titleist bag and back to a Titleist ball?! Are you Sure Crossfield doesn't have you on the payroll? :busted_cop: :busted_cop:

Glad it is working out for you! Everyone is different and many WRX Ho'ers just don't want to realize that for some reason.

I will say what you already know and J13 will chime in to tell you how it is.............. Z-starXV is right between the two balls. :telephone:

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Stealth+ 19* - Atmos Red 8X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7MC 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

Man, what is the world coming to?! Titleist bag and back to a Titleist ball?! Are you Sure Crossfield doesn't have you on the payroll? :busted_cop: :busted_cop:

Glad it is working out for you! Everyone is different and many WRX Ho'ers just don't want to realize that for some reason.

I will say what you already know and J13 will chime in to tell you how it is.............. Z-starXV is right between the two balls. :telephone:

The XV is KING!!

-Get some from your boy JJ ;)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

The XV is KING!!

He gets paid to play those pieces of sh&t. :cheesy:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

The XV is KING!!

SHOTS FIRED!

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

What’s the V like in the 54/55? I have a V in the 60 but don’t want to drop the money for an experiment?

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Can't go wrong with the Titleist setup. I was playing a few rounds with a 718 CB/MB combo but I just wasn't feeling it. It was the shaft though...PX 6.5 just didn't feel good to me like it used to.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

The XV is KING!!

You just keep playing that Prov1x and that D3 while i go low with the XV ;) :D

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

What’s the V like in the 54/55? I have a V in the 60 but don’t want to drop the money for an experiment?

Leaves a bit to be desired on full shots, but really versatile around the greens. If you don't really chip with your 54, I'd go with the F or S. If you chip with it a lot, it's really good.

Can't go wrong with the Titleist setup. I was playing a few rounds with a 718 CB/MB combo but I just wasn't feeling it. It was the shaft though...PX 6.5 just didn't feel good to me like it used to.

Still have em?

Pure,

What kind of toe hang does that have? Is it fully face balanced or just a little bit of hang?

Perfectly faced balanced.

You just keep playing that Prov1x and that D3 while i go low with the XV ;) :D

Who says I'm not going low with what I've got :) We already have enough keyboard warriors who think they're better than they are.. we don't need another big J :cheesy: Love ya :tongue:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

There’s a reason I always fall back into Ping woods. That forgiveness and predictability is paramount.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Did you ever play Ap2 712’s? I just picked up a mint set and really like them

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

The all black Vokeys look so sick. Look forward to reading about your fitting.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

V grind remains undisputed - Floyd Money Mayweather of wedges.

Something about those wedge works M60 / V54 offerings to me they feel different than the retail heads

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Something about those wedge works M60 / V54 offerings to me they feel different than the retail heads

Just snagged a TI V grind, different than the wedgeworks release which I had, with the channel grind. With all the s*** I buy I’ve not found a better 60* than my scratch and while practicing over the winter I realized I have 600+ rounds on it. No wonder I can’t spin the ball as much as I’d like around the greens.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Alright.. the time has come.. new setup for 2018. Mainly irons, ball..

This is going to sound crazy, but I think the 917D3 is one of the best drivers I've owned. On course performance, accuracy really stands out.. distance I feel could be a little longer, but not willing to sacrifice the playability I have with it to eek out 5-10 more yards. First driver in a while that I can work both ways with out manipulating my swing a lot to do so. As of now, I have no plans to test any other drivers at all. The shaft in it now is the Atmos Black 7tx, I have the new Pro 2.0 but it needs to be tipped, and I'm thinking it might be a better profile in my 3 wood. 3 wood has been pretty good, but not amazing.

Irons.. the fun part. After my surgery, I went graphite, and really haven't looked back. Recently I hit some heavier steel shafts and started to miss the stability and lower flight by nature. I love the shock absorption so, I'm trying to find the best of both worlds. I won't spend the $$ without getting fit so I have a fitting set for next week with Titleist. I'm very interested to see what the graphite setup does on Trackman and from there I'm interested to see what I actually get fit to. My action is a little different now compared to pre-surgery for the better. I'm a lot flatter into the hitting zone than before and thus changing my positions at impact. I don't want to go back to the X100 but I feel like that's the safe play, but really interested to see what the numbers say. Planning on keeping the same heads as well, but again, waiting to see if something crazy is revealed in this fitting.

Ball.. I recently switched back to the '17 ProV1x. I REALLLLY missed the spin this ball has around the greens. If I could pick it apart, I wish it was a little lower launching and spinning. Maybe something between this and the TP5X. I think the new ProV1 is that, but I hit it on the course and didn't like it. With that in mind, I will want my new setup to accommodate for the ball a well. The greens at my course are so fast right now that the extra spin around the greens has been a life saver.

Wedges - going to get the SM7's and keep the V grind in the 60 for sure and maybe the 54.

I only got 50 rounds in last year.. which for me is really low. Starting to get my game back a bit, still have really high rounds out of nowhere and low ones too - need to keep it consistent. Part of the high rounds are because my home course is really hard and the greens have been diabolically fast. 12-13 with severe slope. Had SCGA team play, rounds were 71,77,77,75 and my record was 1-1-2. Yes, 2 ties! Ugh. Anyways, good to get under the grind again.. I'm anticipating playing a lot more tourneys this year and playing some really nice tracks :knock on wood:

Thanks for the reading the Cliff's Notes edition of my updates :tongue: :read: :drinks:

Graham DeLaet #5 driving distance & Thomas #10 doesn’t think titleist is short :-)

Couldn’t agree with you more on titleist closest to tour quality from retail ; they have the tightest stated to actual loft delta

Bag is lookin STRONG

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Bettter pic of this little barn find :)

DSC09870.jpg

Pure,

What kind of toe hang does that have? Is it fully face balanced or just a little bit of hang?

This is perfect to let the rest of your bullpen take a rest (but still need to add that paint!)....small world as I went with graphite last year through a healing phase, and actually had great results, and really like them; coming from a softstepped x100 in everything I played. This season I switched to 718 CB’s with gun metal C-Tapers in a stiff+. They feel pretty equal (shaft to shaft, x100 SS vs cTapers stiff+) but overall both are a little more harsh on body than graphite, but I miss steel and am happy I experienced graphite, but gonna ride out the steel until my body just can’t take it anymore.

I did keep them in my wedges as the accuracy;( at least for me) around greens couldn’t be rivaled...enjoy season Tai, kindest regards Jerry (EVO Detailing)

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Alright.. the time has come.. new setup for 2018. Mainly irons, ball..

This is going to sound crazy, but I think the 917D3 is one of the best drivers I've owned. On course performance, accuracy really stands out.. distance I feel could be a little longer, but not willing to sacrifice the playability I have with it to eek out 5-10 more yards. First driver in a while that I can work both ways with out manipulating my swing a lot to do so. As of now, I have no plans to test any other drivers at all. The shaft in it now is the Atmos Black 7tx, I have the new Pro 2.0 but it needs to be tipped, and I'm thinking it might be a better profile in my 3 wood. 3 wood has been pretty good, but not amazing.

Irons.. the fun part. After my surgery, I went graphite, and really haven't looked back. Recently I hit some heavier steel shafts and started to miss the stability and lower flight by nature. I love the shock absorption so, I'm trying to find the best of both worlds. I won't spend the $$ without getting fit so I have a fitting set for next week with Titleist. I'm very interested to see what the graphite setup does on Trackman and from there I'm interested to see what I actually get fit to. My action is a little different now compared to pre-surgery for the better. I'm a lot flatter into the hitting zone than before and thus changing my positions at impact. I don't want to go back to the X100 but I feel like that's the safe play, but really interested to see what the numbers say. Planning on keeping the same heads as well, but again, waiting to see if something crazy is revealed in this fitting.

Ball.. I recently switched back to the '17 ProV1x. I REALLLLY missed the spin this ball has around the greens. If I could pick it apart, I wish it was a little lower launching and spinning. Maybe something between this and the TP5X. I think the new ProV1 is that, but I hit it on the course and didn't like it. With that in mind, I will want my new setup to accommodate for the ball a well. The greens at my course are so fast right now that the extra spin around the greens has been a life saver.

Wedges - going to get the SM7's and keep the V grind in the 60 for sure and maybe the 54.

I only got 50 rounds in last year.. which for me is really low. Starting to get my game back a bit, still have really high rounds out of nowhere and low ones too - need to keep it consistent. Part of the high rounds are because my home course is really hard and the greens have been diabolically fast. 12-13 with severe slope. Had SCGA team play, rounds were 71,77,77,75 and my record was 1-1-2. Yes, 2 ties! Ugh. Anyways, good to get under the grind again.. I'm anticipating playing a lot more tourneys this year and playing some really nice tracks :knock on wood:

Thanks for the reading the Cliff's Notes edition of my updates :tongue: :read: :drinks:

Graham DeLaet #5 driving distance & Thomas #10 doesn’t think titleist is short :-)

Couldn’t agree with you more on titleist closest to tour quality from retail ; they have the tightest stated to actual loft delta

Bag is lookin STRONG

And Thomas with the win in-spite of his inferior driver

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Just snagged a TI V grind, different than the wedgeworks release which I had, with the channel grind. With all the s*** I buy I've not found a better 60* than my scratch and while practicing over the winter I realized I have 600+ rounds on it. No wonder I can't spin the ball as much as I'd like around the greens.

Swiz what grind do you have from Scratch? The club I now spend the most time at has bermuda fairways, which are kind of tricky.. the V grind has still been good as I've found it to be really versatile over the year. Sometimes it struggles to get under the ball, but really good at hitting low hard checking shots. I have a few Scratch wedges lying around, tempted to break them out again - or go with an Artisan custom order. Vokey is just much easier.

This is perfect to let the rest of your bullpen take a rest (but still need to add that paint!)....small world as I went with graphite last year through a healing phase, and actually had great results, and really like them; coming from a softstepped x100 in everything I played. This season I switched to 718 CB’s with gun metal C-Tapers in a stiff+. They feel pretty equal (shaft to shaft, x100 SS vs cTapers stiff+) but overall both are a little more harsh on body than graphite, but I miss steel and am happy I experienced graphite, but gonna ride out the steel until my body just can’t take it anymore.

I did keep them in my wedges as the accuracy;( at least for me) around greens couldn’t be rivaled...enjoy season Tai, kindest regards Jerry (EVO Detailing)

Thanks Jerry! I'm pretty pumped about my fitting, gotta be honest. No idea what I'll be fit to these days. I'm actually hoping I don't get fit back into X100's as I really don't want to play another heavy steel shaft.

One thing I've been thinking about is adding a 3 or 4 hybrid and drop my 3 T-MB. I've been scraping that club around, and don't enjoy hitting it as much as I used to. Again, the dormant bermuda is tricky and typically I have problems catching it high on the face. I haven't had a hybrid stay in my bag consistently almost ever.. last one was the 909H with HM2.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Graham DeLaet #5 driving distance & Thomas #10 doesn't think titleist is short :-)

Couldn't agree with you more on titleist closest to tour quality from retail ; they have the tightest stated to actual loft delta

Bag is lookin STRONG

Another tourney today.. 4 ball format, driver is on point. Hit a few really long, every bit as long as the usual hot rods.. but my misses remain so good.. 917 will remain untouched for a bit. A buddy had a tour issued 8.5 M4 built by Wade with the Tensei White 60x, hit it really high and found it again to be really fade biased. Went pretty far, but nothing crazy, also still like the look and feel of the 917.

Just saw, bag pics last updated in 2016.. I'll take some new ones once the new stuff is dialed :)

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Did you ever play Ap2 712’s? I just picked up a mint set and really like them

I did, very brief stint. Got them when every great mid-am around here and their brother was using these things. Shafted them up with X100's, they basically were high launching and really spinny for me, just didn't work out so great, found the low irons tough to control. They were then 714's and from what I've seen in the 718's they seem to be a little more "players" than the 714.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Topic of the day:

Hybrids v. utility/driving irons

New course is bermuda.. right now it's dormant.. having a LOT of trouble with hitting the ball high on the face when trying to hit a low draw or any type of draw. The grass seems to tee the ball up then disintegrate at impact and my miss is hitting the shot high on the face. The results are really crappy.. usually when I pull out my TMB 3i I'm trying to hit a driving shot or keep it out of the wind or something like that. High cut is fine, but penalized when I want to hit a lower or drawing shot.

Been thinking of trying the new Titleist 818 hybrid - anyone swap out their driving iron for a hybrid? I'm not historically a hybrid player.. but maybe it's time? Thoughts/feedback? Thanks!!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Topic of the day:

Hybrids v. utility/driving irons

New course is bermuda.. right now it's dormant.. having a LOT of trouble with hitting the ball high on the face when trying to hit a low draw or any type of draw. The grass seems to tee the ball up then disintegrate at impact and my miss is hitting the shot high on the face. The results are really crappy.. usually when I pull out my TMB 3i I'm trying to hit a driving shot or keep it out of the wind or something like that. High cut is fine, but penalized when I want to hit a lower or drawing shot.

Been thinking of trying the new Titleist 818 hybrid - anyone swap out their driving iron for a hybrid? I'm not historically a hybrid player.. but maybe it's time? Thoughts/feedback? Thanks!!

If you're not looking to hit low hard runners off the tee all the time then hybrid or 5 wood is the way to go. Clubs are just too versatile to pass on in my opinion. Even if you want to hit a few low running tee shots go with a lower launching shaft and you'll be fine.

I play either a 915h 2 Hybrid with a Veylix Rome shaft and Mizuno 3 Fli-Hi depending on the course and conditions. With the right shaft/head combination, a hybrid is as versatile and forgiving as you can hope for. I find that out of lies like you are describing where the underlying grass is dead/dormant, the hybrid performs much better than I driving type of iron as it is less prone to dig due a more shallow swing path. I just get more consistent contact in the winter with it.

The H2 versions of the Titleist hybrids look pretty nice. Much smaller looking and more peanut shaped than most other hybrids. But, I’m not sure if any hybrid is going to do everything you are asking, particularly the low shot. Not saying all hybrids are high launch/spin machines. Just not going to be as easy to keep them as low as the driving iron.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Don’t go down that rabbit hole pure. I had the 818 h2 and it’s just like every other hybrid I’ve owned. They all go hard left. I put my 3i right back in and never looked back. I also play Bermuda fairways that are dormant at the moment so I feel your pain.

• Ping G425LST DIamana PD 60X
  • Callaway UW 17* Diamana TB 80X 
  • Callaway Apex Pro 21* AD DI 95X 
  • NCW MBs 4-PW x100 
  • Artisan Golf 50, 54, 59* x100/s400  
  • Artisan Golf 0519