Pure745's WITB

6.5 PX feel terrible but perform. LZ obviously feel much better but don't perform as well with control IMO. I played px 6.5 for years and switched to Nippon. Super peening blue. Feel better than LZ perform better than px.

For you...

Actually still have the Nippon SPB's on my Scratch DW's hiding in the closet :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

6.5 PX feel terrible but perform. LZ obviously feel much better but don't perform as well with control IMO. I played px 6.5 for years and switched to Nippon. Super peening blue. Feel better than LZ perform better than px.

For you...

Hence the “IMO”. Tai has been an x100 guy for a very long time. Everyone can vouch that px, especially 6.5, feel is harsh in comparison to most out there. I’ve played them all and have similar experience with all them.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

For you...

Hence the "IMO". Tai has been an x100 guy for a very long time. Everyone can vouch that px, especially 6.5, feel is harsh in comparison to most out there. I've played them all and have similar experience with all them.

True that.. loved the SPB's in the past, actually got fit out of them at the Oven because they were too low in spin (go figure). The guys were saying in the long irons my ball was coming in too flat and too low in spin, and would benefit from more spin and higher angle of descent to hold greens and drop in on tight pins better. Never crossed my mind to use them since it seems they're obsolete with all the new flavor of the week shafts that have been released since then!

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

For you...

Hence the "IMO". Tai has been an x100 guy for a very long time. Everyone can vouch that px, especially 6.5, feel is harsh in comparison to most out there. I've played them all and have similar experience with all them.

True that.. loved the SPB's in the past, actually got fit out of them at the Oven because they were too low in spin (go figure). The guys were saying in the long irons my ball was coming in too flat and too low in spin, and would benefit from more spin and higher angle of descent to hold greens and drop in on tight pins better. Never crossed my mind to use them since it seems they're obsolete with all the new flavor of the week shafts that have been released since then!

With the newer long irons more designed to generate a bit more spin and launch, may be worth a look back into them.

New flavors in the steel department haven’t really gotten better in recent years IMO. Certainly not in the heavier steel offerings.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Yeah, pretty stoked on the LZ's not gonna lie. Hard stepping them should be perfect. Don't want to get ahead of myself before I have them on course, but definitely one of the best feeling steel shafts I've hit. Fingers crossed.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Yeah, pretty stoked on the LZ's not gonna lie. Hard stepping them should be perfect. Don't want to get ahead of myself before I have them on course, but definitely one of the best feeling steel shafts I've hit. Fingers crossed.

Ever break the older stuff out? Nike’s or scratch?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Glad to hear you went px Lz. I played px 6.0-6.5 and they played great but I have fractured my right wrist three to four times from playing basketball my whole life and would have them swell and hurt every time I played px or ctaper even ctaper lite. Bought a set of px Lz 6.5 after a fitting showed 6.0 was way too soft for my swing and put them in my I200. First time in years I don’t want want to switch irons. Except if is can afford a set of Ap2 with px Lz haha. The microsteps seem to really help my joints not hurt

You can't go wrong with Titleist clubs.

Except for their drivers. They spin like a top and are lacking ball speed.

Pure745 after hitting a 325 yard drive on the course with a Titleist Driver..."Just like an old farm truck"

I too cannot get along with their drivers, but homie gets along with them just fine :blink: I just don't understand it.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

For you...

Actually still have the Nippon SPB's on my Scratch DW's hiding in the closet :)

Often times I get a boatload of crap from friends and family about the PGA Tour Superstore in my basement...then I think of you, and it all seems better :)

For you...

I think it's just in the hands of the holder (is that English?)...anyway, Mizuno vs. Titleist feel etc. I've always liked the feel, flight spin, etc. so it's everyone minus 1 :)

Did you feel any pain in your hand after hitting the LZs, compared to the Fuji graphite shaft? I am considering going back to steel, too, but fear that the problems with the elbow would appear again? Thanks!

Ever break the older stuff out? Nike's or scratch?

Gamed the Nike's a few times last year. The MM Protos were in my bag for a while but got beat out at TPI with the 716 setup. Once something gets beat I usually stick to whatever is/was better. Sometimes tempted to break out the Scratch irons but they're pretty beat up.. need some love.

Did you feel any pain in your hand after hitting the LZs, compared to the Fuji graphite shaft? I am considering going back to steel, too, but fear that the problems with the elbow would appear again? Thanks!

My hand was sore after the fitting but I hit a bunch of balls with the PX and LZ, more with the PX. The LZ felt fine on my hand, the PX had a few that made me cringe, especially if I hit one low on the face. Just a more demanding shaft for me, and there a learning curve coming from 95g graphite.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Please share your thoughts on the LZ as a wedge shaft. I'm a long time DG player who switched to the LZ last year and have never looked back. I was fit for and bought the 718 AP2 with LZ last year. I still have the DG in my wedges but have been considering the LZ in a set of SM7s. Very interested in your thoughts.

Titleist TSr3 9* / Ventus Blue TR 6X
Titleist TSr2 16.5* / Ventus Blue TR 8X
Titleist TSr2 21* / Ventus Red TR 8X
Titliest T200 4 / KBS Tour X

Titleist T100 5-9 / KBS Tour X
Titleist Vokey SM8 48*F / DG TI X100
Titleist Vokey SM8 52*F / DG TI X100
Titleist Vokey SM8 56*S / DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K(Low Bounce) / DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Feels like a board to me, very harsh feel, not quite as bad the PX, but if you've noticed I gravitate towards the DG or LZ vs. shafts like the C-Taper/PX. Add to that the hand surgery and I sway even more away from harsh feeling shafts (to me) and go towards smoother feeling shafts like the LZ. I've never liked the C-Taper though.

So funny I LOVE the C-Taper feel, and I do not put a lot of stress on the shaft. PX and DG feel terrible to me.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Was also fit into PX over LZ last fall. I went with 6.5 LZ straight in and am seriously regretting it.

#s seemed close enough but after 5 round with the LZs, they noticeably spin too much. Wind performance is essentially the same as x100 for me, not great.

I agree, the standard PXs were way too harsh. I used C-tapers for 2 seasons, which I never loved the feel of, and PX still felt harsh.

Gonna try modus 125 next before just going back to the SPB. Eager to hear how the LZ hardstepped play for you

MyStealth 9* Diamana GT 60TX
Paradym TD 15* GD ADCQ 80x
Apex Black 21* MRC MMT 105TX

Geom Moe CB 5-9 DG X100

TM MG Raw 46/50 TW 56/60 DG X100

Original 2-Ball 
ProV1x-

SM6 V Grind (left) vs SM7 D Grind (right) - for those wondering how the grinds compare.

IMG_5738.jpg

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Was also fit into PX over LZ last fall. I went with 6.5 LZ straight in and am seriously regretting it.

#s seemed close enough but after 5 round with the LZs, they noticeably spin too much. Wind performance is essentially the same as x100 for me, not great.

I agree, the standard PXs were way too harsh. I used C-tapers for 2 seasons, which I never loved the feel of, and PX still felt harsh.

Gonna try modus 125 next before just going back to the SPB. Eager to hear how the LZ hardstepped play for you

lz spins and launches too high for me, project x is nice but harsh. For me $-taper works pretty well, I get decent feel with low spin and a higher flat trajectory.

Topic of the Day: BALLS - Coming from TP5X - need opinions on '17 ProV1x vs. ProV1

Need some opinions again guys! :)

I've been a long time ProV1x player - tried other balls in the past but always keep coming back to the ProV1x. The TP5x is probably one of my favorite balls in recent memory till I got a dozen of '17 ProV1x and realized how much I missed all the spin around the green.

Conditions at my course have also gotten really firm and fast. Greens are running around 12 up to 13 depending on the sun/wind. That being said, the greenside spin and extra on the wedges has been amazing.

SO.. on paper the NEW ProV1 looks like a much better fit to what I want. Less spin, lower flight, softer feel but when I put it in play, I didn't overly love it. Granted it was only one round and maybe I need more testing side by side.

I have a few dozen of the new ProV1x, which I love, but again, the 85-110 yard wedges spin like crazy. The only downside I've found with this ball is that, but it's an important part to me to have these shots under control. All of the research I've done says the X launches higher, spins more, and is firmer but I've also seen some reviews where it's also 5+ yards longer off the tee.

Anyone have any feedback? I know a lot of people hate Titleist, I get it, but I'm really looking for opinions on these two balls.

Thanks! :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

What didn't you like about TP5X? I don't find it lacking in greenside spin at all. Maybe i'm missing out on some spin i wasnt aware of?

Is wind a big factor where you play? I think TP5x and Srixon XV are the two best balls in wind.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

What didn't you like about TP5X? I don't find it lacking in greenside spin at all. Maybe i'm missing out on some spin i wasnt aware of?

Is wind a big factor where you play? I think TP5x and Srixon XV are the two best balls in wind.

It's not that I didn't like the TP5x, I actually really liked it and switched to it till I found the ProV1x spun noticeably more around the green pretty much for all shots (for me), and enough to where I want to switch back to one of the ProV models for that spin around the greens. Wind is a factor, but not a huge factor, it does get windy where I play but it's usually a swirling wind and windy for me is 10-15 mph which isn't much compared to other parts of the country.

Also my course with the greens being so fast now and the rough dormant/fluffy, there is a premium for me to be able to stop the ball fast (or high a really high shot). I tend to hit a low checking shot vs. bump and run in general for my game round the greens, more spin out of the bunkers has been nice too.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Ive always played the X and still like the new X more. The only other ball I'm looking at this year is the new 4 piece Snell.

Did you compare it to the '17 V1?

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Did you ever give the regular TP5 a try? Admittedly I haven't used it at all, but everything I've read about it would indicate that its performance is similar to the 5x but with more wedge spin.

I've played both the '17 V1 and V1X a little bit, and found them to be pretty much what Titleist said they were.

Right now I'm testing the '18 versions of the CS and CSX. With the CSX in particular, Callaway may have finally gotten it right after wandering in the ball wilderness for about 3 years. To me, the '18 CSX feels like a ProV1 while performing like the V1X in every other way.

I know your last interaction with a Callaway ball was horrendous, so fully expect that you'd not want to give it another run-out.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

The '17 proV1 is based on the '15 left dot proto (I'd call the '17 version a kinder gentler left dot). Its a low launching, "heavy" flying golf ball. My friend on the PGA tour is a low spin guy and it wasn't a good fit for him. Couldn't hit partial wedges with it and hit a bunch of hanging curveballs with irons that never turned. He's been better with the X. Based on what I've seen, the X floats more, and if you're a guy who's trying to hit different shots the X is probably a good fit. I'm a high spin weekend warrior playing in soft conditions and a bunch of wind so the "'17 V1 is great for me. The only way the X is going to be longer with driver is if you need higher launch, because spin rates with driver are going to be close imo. And I'm no Titleist fanboy, but I never get surprised with a Titleist ball. I do get surprised with some of the other stuff (random 5 yard jumper, etc)

Did you ever give the regular TP5 a try? Admittedly I haven't used it at all, but everything I've read about it would indicate that its performance is similar to the 5x but with more wedge spin.

I've played both the '17 V1 and V1X a little bit, and found them to be pretty much what Titleist said they were.

Right now I'm testing the '18 versions of the CS and CSX. With the CSX in particular, Callaway may have finally gotten it right after wandering in the ball wilderness for about 3 years. To me, the '18 CSX feels like a ProV1 while performing like the V1X in every other way.

I know your last interaction with a Callaway ball was horrendous, so fully expect that you'd not want to give it another run-out.

Yes, didn't like the TP5 at all. The TP5/x commercial with the random every day golfers was filmed at my old club. I was actually supposed to be in the commercial but broke that bone in my had the week prior :( You're right about the last Cally ball, but I did try the new one and it's way better.. I agree. One of the reasons I switched off of the ProV1x is how ridiculously expensive they are, and they spun too much on mid wedges.. but after a few comparisons with the TP5x and the 4 for 3 deal, the prices are much more palatable and I'm good with sticking with a ProV.

The '17 proV1 is based on the '15 left dot proto (I'd call the '17 version a kinder gentler left dot). Its a low launching, "heavy" flying golf ball. My friend on the PGA tour is a low spin guy and it wasn't a good fit for him. Couldn't hit partial wedges with it and hit a bunch of hanging curveballs with irons that never turned. He's been better with the X. Based on what I've seen, the X floats more, and if you're a guy who's trying to hit different shots the X is probably a good fit. I'm a high spin weekend warrior playing in soft conditions and a bunch of wind so the "'17 V1 is great for me. The only way the X is going to be longer with driver is if you need higher launch, because spin rates with driver are going to be close imo. And I'm no Titleist fanboy, but I never get surprised with a Titleist ball. I do get surprised with some of the other stuff (random 5 yard jumper, etc)

Great post and thank you for the feedback. Great avatar too :drinks:

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Totally understand. Before I started the little side job working for TM and then Callaway, I played the V1x for 3 years straight. Fitter I worked with at Hot Stix several years ago said nothing else on the market at that time offered a better combination of performance that I needed from the ball, and he was right.

WITB Link

Totally understand. Before I started the little side job working for TM and then Callaway, I played the V1x for 3 years straight. Fitter I worked with at Hot Stix several years ago said nothing else on the market at that time offered a better combination of performance that I needed from the ball, and he was right.

Yeah - I know it's kind of splitting hairs, but some of the best feedback I've gotten without testing myself has come from guys posting in this thread. I'm definitely sticking with the ProV just need to figure out which one.. sound like the X is probably where I should stay and just prepare to take a little spin off or play it a little longer going in.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

One thing I've always been curious about is how many ProV1/X players are playing the wrong version of the ball because of confusion about what each version is engineered to offer. IOW, how many play the X because they think it's supposed to be the lower flying and spinning ball. That was true for several guys in my money game that were playing the X; a couple of them nearly had their head fall off when I told them the V1 actually has more of the attributes they're looking for. Oddly enough, all those guys that were playing the V1X because they thought it was lower flying and spinning have switched to Bridgestone or the TP5X and not the ProV1. My Friday game is usually 20 low handicap dudes, and of those 20 there are less than 5 Titleist balls regularly in play. That was unfathomable even 5 years ago.

I feel you on the splitting hairs; can't believe it but I'm on the fence about whether to play the Soft or Soft X for '18. Will likely settle on the X, but the Soft even being in the conversation is testament to how much better the '18 versions of the balls are.

WITB Link

Yeah - I know it's kind of splitting hairs, but some of the best feedback I've gotten without testing myself has come from guys posting in this thread. I'm definitely sticking with the ProV just need to figure out which one.. sound like the X is probably where I should stay and just prepare to take a little spin off or play it a little longer going in.

My only issue with the '17 ProV1x is too much spin on anything over a 3/4 swing with 8 iron and down, but the greenside spin and control is why I've kept playing it.

Considering giving the TP5x another test. I didn't like it when I played a couple rounds with it at the beginning of last season, but I think it may be worth another go.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA