Iron Covers

zrkh15

[quote name='Ruleschamp' timestamp='1283037635' post='2666066']
From my experience, the only people who usually even notice stuff like that (iron covers, clothing, etc....) are usually junior golfers, high schoolers, kids under 25 or people who are more concerned about LOOKING like a good golfer than actually BEING one. If you like iron covers, put 'em on. Who cares?

Those of us geezers over 40 (like me) are usually busy thinking about bills to pay, kids to put through college, nagging wife that we're getting away from for a few hours, career issues, other problems or our own score and never even notice what kind of clubs you're playing, whether or not you have iron covers or headcovers, whether or not you're wearing cargo shorts (or pants), what kind of shoes you're wearing, or what your score is (unless we're playing you for money).
[/quote]
thats funny because its true. im an old geezer too, but turning 30 next month and i apply to all but paying for my child's college...im paying for kindergarden instead.

bring on m el cheapo neoprene headcovers. got to keep my irons looking good for the next decade.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an old geezer.
I use iron covers.
My irons are in great shape.

The older I get the less I care what other people think!

:cheesy:

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM10 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1283023275' post='2665828']
[quote name='timinsprings' timestamp='1283007969' post='2665515']
I personally think iron covers are kind of lame and I won't use them but I could care less if someone else does...unless, as other's have said, it slows down play (which it often does). Just don't use the "clubs are an investment" line. If you want your clubs to look as new as possible, that's cool by me, but golf clubs yield no return making them the worst investment of all time.
[/quote]

If someone with iron covers is playing slow, I promise it is not the iron covers slowing them down.
[/quote] :cheesy:

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

they signify that said user is a noob. i like some bag wear on my blades, it lets people know i actually use them. you should see my irons when im done with them, faces worn down, paintfill gone from the cavities, beat all to hell. thats how you want a club to look when you are done with it. if you bought them to use for a month and then sell then i guess you might want to use some iron covers. for the record ive never seen a good player using iron covers.

I have seen a lot of good golfer who use iron covers, they love their forged blades, some of them havn't changed their irons for many years. I actually never seen a beginner who uses iron covers at all, normally, they don't really care their equipment that much. I use iron covers for my Tour Preferred irons, and will use them for my new special edition Miura baby blades. they keep clubhead look new. and if you only need to pull out ur iron once in every hole, I'm sure you don't waste more time than others.

I use iron covers for my clubs, as I always carry my clubs in my boot just in case I find the time for a hit. I would hate to think that I am dinging up my irons every time I drive my car. I only shoot in the 80's atm, but I would waste less time during a round than some of the people who have posted above.
If I see somebody that is using iron covers on the course, I don't attempt to stereotype them based on something as trivial as this. I personally would prefer to play with somebody using iron covers than with somebody who seems to think that using a set of iron covers makes you a lesser golfer.

[quote name='BackWoods' timestamp='1283078923' post='2666641']
I use iron covers for my clubs, as I always carry my clubs in my boot just in case I find the time for a hit. I would hate to think that I am dinging up my irons every time I drive my car.
[/quote]

Completely off topic but...
Unless your iron covers are insulated, you realise leaving your clubs in the boot can lead to the epoxy being broken down if it gets hot, and the cycle of hot and cold is probably not doing them any good.
If you've gone to the effort of covers, probably best to make sure you store your clubs in a good location too.

[quote name='freshprince99' timestamp='1283059552' post='2666523']
they signify that said user is a noob. i like some bag wear on my blades, it lets people know i actually use them. you should see my irons when im done with them, faces worn down, paintfill gone from the cavities, beat all to hell. thats how you want a club to look when you are done with it. if you bought them to use for a month and then sell then i guess you might want to use some iron covers. [b]for the record ive never seen a good player using iron covers.
[/b][/quote]

You must not play with a lot of different golfers? I do and I've seen a LOT of single digit golfers using covers, I for one do, two things you need to know, I'm old and grew up in a different era, I have always taken care of my things, just a different mind set, I'm a desent golfer, I have played in the championship flight in my club, at my states senior championship flight and will again try to qualify for the USGA's Senior AM, so you ASSume way too much, I just don't understand with all the things in golf going on why this topic keeps coming up and ppl are always defending it or condemning it. JMT (just my thoughts)

[quote name='jones137' timestamp='1282830175' post='2662859']
Signifies that somebody doesn't want to get their clubs all beat up......I personally like the chattered look on my forged irons but to each his own.
[/quote]

+2. To each his own. They are your clubs bought with your money. Do as you please and don't worry about what others think.

Edit; I'll add that our club champion this year uses iron covers.

I see iron head covers, like a towel hanging out of someone's back pocket, wearing long dark street socks with golf shorts, sandles with spikes, staff bag, and name on it with NO game, or anything else that gives the appearance of a "dork"; he/they had better not take themselves to serious and have a sense a humor, cause he/they will be teased in some circles. That's just the way life is, and should be.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I guess I am happy with my p**** size. I don't notice if others use iron covers, and frankly couldn't give a s***.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1283091749' post='2666779']
I see iron head covers, like a towel hanging out of someone's back pocket, wearing long dark street socks with golf shorts, sandles with spikes, staff bag, and name on it with NO game, or anything else that gives the appearance of a "dork"; he/they had better not take themselves to serious and have a sense a humor, cause he/they will be teased in some circles. That's just the way life is, and should be.
[/quote]

Wow...How thankful I am to have been raised not to judge others on the course by the clubs they play, the clothes they wear etc.
I agree with "the older I get, the less I care what others think" way of thinking because, the older I get, the less I care what others think.

they signify that said user is a noob. i like some bag wear on my blades, it lets people know i actually use them. you should see my irons when im done with them, faces worn down, paintfill gone from the cavities, beat all to hell. thats how you want a club to look when you are done with it. if you bought them to use for a month and then sell then i guess you might want to use some iron covers. for the record ive never seen a good player using iron covers.
[/quote]

I'm a user and a +1.8

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I only use them to stop the clacking sound as I walk. I put covers on cast and forged alike just to get rid of the sound. I've had people make comments to me how I'd better now slow down their round. It's a strange mindset that a cover would add so much time to the process when some of these same guys have a 2 minute pre-shot routine and read every putt like it's the putt to win the Masters.

Callaway FT-iZ 11*, TEE XCG-V 16.5*
Wilson Fybrid 19.5*, Adams Pro Gold 23*
Callaway FT 5-9
Ping Tour-W 47*, 54*, 58*, 64*
Yes! Sophia
Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow

[quote name='PRO' timestamp='1282865610' post='2664089']
Chop....if iron covers were necessary then tour pros who have caddies would use them. They dont and iron covers are horrendous. You dont want your irons to get beat up? Get real...ur hitting a ball with sand and dirt and grass at speeds above 100mph, its only natural that they get a little dinged up.
[/quote]

Pros don't care because they get new clubs whenever they want. I don't. I pay for mine and want them to last a long time. They are tools and tools should be taken care of. You wouldn't leave your hammer out to rust in the rain or throw your laptop into an overhead compartment without a bag, would you?

I use covers because bag chatter is unnecessary. If the faces of my irons get messed up, then so be it, but my $900 irons are not getting the hell beat out of them simply because someone thinks I look more like a player that way.

Well I just read this whole thread and it breaks down to 2 types of people.

TYPE 1) Someone who likes to keep there clubs in good shape because they are expensive and not free like some people like to think. They are not worried what other people think.

TYPE 2) People who think headcovers are a joke because beat up clubs look cool, at least thats what the "cool" golfers are saying. Only the best of the best play w/o covers. These people are worried what others think and usually are very insecure. Plus the pros do not use headcovers on their FREE clubs which can be replaced at any time so the for covers are gay

This is why the 2 sides will never agree. Which type are you?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1283091749' post='2666779']
I see iron head covers, like a towel hanging out of someone's back pocket, wearing long dark street socks with golf shorts, sandles with spikes, staff bag, and name on it with NO game, or anything else that gives the[b] appearance[/b] of a "dork"; he/they had better not take themselves to serious and have a sense a humor, cause he/they will be teased in some circles. That's just the way life is, and should be.
[/quote]

wow, judge much?

I use them on any sets that are new until I know I'm going to keep them for at least a season. I don't keep a set of irons for more than a few months (except a set of Titi 690.CB's and an '04 set of Miura forged TM RAC TP cb's), so in order to get any sort of return on the investment, I'll keep them wiped down every shot and covered.

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1282833868' post='2663001']
[b]Club head covers remind me of putting a car-cover on my car every time I go into a store just because it was costly[/b], or wearing galoshes in the winter... I understand the intent, just don't see the day in and day out value. Clubs are tools to me... The best I can do is keep the rain cover on the bag at all times when not playing; which works fine. I bought my clubs in 07 and they still look really nice considering how much they get used.
[/quote]

i dont use iron covers but i do use car covers (not for my daily drivers though). and so do a lot of people i know who collect classic muscle cars. but none of them take them on and pull them off when they "[i]go into a store[/i]". we use them to cover them at night or when they're not being used. i doubt if you'd put a car cover on your '97 Mercury Sable, but when you have a 67 Shelby GT500, you better believe its gonna be covered. and not covering it would just be stupid because unlike golf clubs, these cars [i]ARE[/i] investments

I think there is less stigma about iron covers these days as definetly more golfers use them, also think the majority who dont want to use them are just plain lazy as cannot be botherd with the hassle of the removing and replacing of them & are kidding themselves about prefering the tatty look. I have just purchased a set of SB-1's and once they arrive i have the dilema of protecting them, maybe these?...........http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120614096149&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT :tongue: .

[quote name='Titleist-Golfer' timestamp='1283102290' post='2667001']
[/quote]

I'm a user and a +1.8
[/quote]

....well...it's ok for YOU then. :)

I bought some clear iron covers for my trip to Myrtle Beach earlier in the season - since then I've been using them on my sticks while playing golf. I personally don't like the bag chatter look and want to maintain the new appearance of my Mizunos for as long as possible. I'm a zero handicap and I know it is cheesy to have iron covers, but I'm sticking with them.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]