2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Iron Covers

zrkh15

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TMfan54' timestamp='1283178394' post='2668552']
if i bought my irons brand new and they were perfect i would think about using iron cover when i ride. walking with them is a pain and it adds a significant amount of weight.
[/quote]

I guess I'm in the middle group. I have 2 sets of irons, I dont use them for my Callaway x-16s but I do use them for my Ap1's. From here on out I would probably not use them unless I get another set that dings up as easily as the AP1's. That being said I will ONLY use the neoprene headcover because the plastic ones that I use to use are a pain to take on and off. The neoprene covers are soooo easy to take off, put in my pocket, hit my shot and put it back on. So for me it depends on the irons.

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

I understand headcovers...putters, drivers, fairway/utility clubs...that's enuff work but on each iron??? At the end of the day your clubs are worth so much...beautifull or with some nicks. They are making new models everyday. Not like a putter or driver that you stare at on every hole. So I don't and won't use headcovers on my irons.
CW

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1283210676' post='2669811']Anyone have recommendations on some nice sleek ones that don't look like crap? :)
[/quote]
Which ones are you looking at? I have used the plain ol' Club Glove neoprene ones that just look like a little wet suit booty. Still use them on my hybrids in fact. About as sleek as you can get.

My dad just bought me a set as a joke because he said I baby my irons. I do. I wash them after every round and want my irons looking good.
Having said that I would never use iron covers - they seem so annoying to take off and on and I know I would lose one or 2 per round.

I just lost a match last week to a 55 year old who covers his Rapture Irons with big black iron covers.......... If a few on this site judged him they would have gotten smashed.

I won't use them but I don't care if somebody does. Once my irons get old and used looking I actually sell them and get another set with the same specs - Sounds stupid and it is but I like my gear clean......

TSR2 10 1K Black

TSR2 15 Tensi Blue 75

TSR2 18 /24 Hybrid Tensi Blue 75 

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

[quote name='scifisicko' timestamp='1283249622' post='2670852']
I admire a guy i play with who uses them. for the fact that he can play round after round without losing them. I cant even manage a couple of wood covers.
[/quote]

Most covers, metals or irons, have a tab on them. Just string a boot length lace through the tabs. When you take the club out, "drop" the cover. It'll be there waiting when you put the club back in the bag. I use the ugly black ones on the irons, just takes a moment to take it off and put it back on. I also wipe the club, otherwise I'd just be packing dirt into the inside of the cover. Clubs are expensive and I plan on keeping them a while, so I feel no shame in trying to take care of them.

I don't care if you use covers or not, nor do I care what you think about my using them. Neither do I care about what you wear or think of my outfit, I'm not a high school girl.

I play fast enough to keep up, I'm ready when it's my turn, I play by the rules of golf, I'm pleasant and respectful of my fellow players, I'm both quiet and stationary when it's your turn, I can carry on a decent conversation on most topics if you're so inclined and can keep to myself if you aren't.

I hope you behave the same way.

In my experience playing two and often three times a week, most people are fine to play with and will reflect your attitude toward them. Be nice and you may make some new friends. There are, unfortunately, some that are painful to play with. That's life, I just try to make the best of a bad deal and not let it affect my game. If I can, and they're bad enough, I'll lose them at the turn and explain why to the starter. I've never had a problem doing that.

[quote name='mike03a3' timestamp='1283277087' post='2671562']
Most covers, metals or irons, have a tab on them. Just string a boot length lace through the tabs. When you take the club out, "drop" the cover. It'll be there waiting when you put the club back in the bag. I use the ugly black ones on the irons, just takes a moment to take it off and put it back on. I also wipe the club, otherwise I'd just be packing dirt into the inside of the cover. Clubs are expensive and I plan on keeping them a while, so I feel no shame in trying to take care of them.
I don't care if you use covers or not, nor do I care what you think about my using them. Neither do I care about what you wear or think of my outfit, I'm not a high school girl.
[b][i]I play fast enough to keep up, I'm ready when it's my turn, I play by the rules of golf, I'm pleasant and respectful of my fellow players, I'm both quiet and stationary when it's your turn, I can carry on a decent conversation on most topics if you're so inclined and can keep to myself if you aren't.
[/i][/b]I hope you behave the same way.
In my experience playing two and often three times a week, most people are fine to play with and will reflect your attitude toward them. Be nice and you may make some new friends. There are, unfortunately, some that are painful to play with. That's life, I just try to make the best of a bad deal and not let it affect my game. If I can, and they're bad enough, I'll lose them at the turn and explain why to the starter. I've never had a problem doing that.
[/quote]

You are the guy I would love to play with everyday!

If get paired up with a guy that has iron cover if get ready for a 5-6 hour round!! Cause you know that before and after every shot he will be searching for one , then he will have to drive back if he losses one. The biggest waste of money in the world!!!

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

[quote name='pccasstpro' timestamp='1283353026' post='2673393']
If get paired up with a guy that has iron cover if get ready for a 5-6 hour round!! Cause you know that before and after every shot he will be searching for one , then he will have to drive back if he losses one. The biggest waste of money in the world!!!
[/quote]

I disagree with you. I have been using iron covers for yrs. I have never lost one or spent time looking for one. I pull it off and stick it in my pocket. I do spend a few seconds after my shot wiping my club off before putting the iron cover back on.There is usually plenty of time to do that. If I am out for a 5-6 hr. round it is because of other players on the course slowing me up.
I can't say they are a waste of money either. I have used the same set for yrs. on the various sets of iron I have had. When I sold those sets I always got top resale value for them because they were bag chatter free. They have paid for themselves many times over.

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1283356515' post='2673508']
[quote name='pccasstpro' timestamp='1283353026' post='2673393']
[/quote]

I disagree with you. I have been using iron covers for yrs. I have never lost one or spent time looking for one. I pull it off and stick it in my pocket. I do spend a few seconds after my shot wiping my club off before putting the iron cover back on.There is usually plenty of time to do that. If I am out for a 5-6 hr. round it is because of other players on the course slowing me up.
I can't say they are a waste of money either. I have used the same set for yrs. on the various sets of iron I have had. When I sold those sets I always got top resale value for them because they were bag chatter free. They have paid for themselves many times over.
[/quote]

+2 I have played the mx 23s for over 5 years and used these and it has kept them in pretty good shape.

Golf society teaches us to mimic what we see the tour pros do. There's probably not one tour pro that uses iron covers, so for some the thought of using them is a joke. Personally I don't use them cause my MP-67's have tiny heads and the darn things fall off. But I did buy them and wish they weren't so loose cause I'd like to keep them on. When I purchase the S56's next month I'll try again with the iron covers and hope for a better fit. Cheers.

913D3 - Diamana D+ 72x
910Fd - Motore Sp. VC 8.2x
712CB - KBS Tour S+
SM4 - KBS Tour S
2014 Fastback
ProV1x

[quote name='freshprince99' timestamp='1283359523' post='2673623']
100 posts on the iron cover debate! i cant believe this thing has turned into this big of a thing. i grossly underestimated how many people are using these things, i hardly ever see anyone with them!
[/quote]

Do a search. You will see that there have been dozens of pages devoted to this very topic. It seems that people have more pleasure polishing their clubs than in playing golf.

I don't use covers but I do wrap my towel around my irons since the clanking drives me nuts when using a cart. When I see iron covers I think, 'they bought the irons in new or mint condition and don't want unnecessary damage'. Otherwise, I'm guessing that they traveled here with their gear.

So yes, covers are fine and tell me little about the player's potential.

A ball retriever or chipper however........

i use the neoprene covers that stretch on. i take it off, place it in my pocket, swing, grab it out of my pocket and by the time im too my bag its already on. i don't get the "if you use head covers it must take you 6 hrs to play a round" talk

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I used to use the neoprene covers but found it was more of a hassle for me since I like minimal items in my pockets during my swing, and was constantly thinking about my clubs and ensuring that I didn't lose any covers rather than my game. If you use them I have no qualms with that whatsoever, you have shelled out the money for your equipment and have the right to take the proper care of your sticks if you so desire, same reason I clean my clubs after every swing and every range session or orund.

Recently bought a new set of shiny new MP-58's and thought these babies above any other set of clubs i've ever owned need protecting.
Two rounds in with my new neoprene covers and enough is enough, can't be doing with with these anymore. Too much faffing around. Covers are presently in the travel case and think will stay there until clubs next need jump on an aeroplane.

Observation with covers, Always carried and the bag, hands resting either end, and just didn't feel the same with covers on the irons

Not to fussed about the dings clubs collect as a result of no covers, it gives them character
:0)

J

[quote name='timinsprings' timestamp='1283387327' post='2674551']
Is there a correlation between iron cover use and the age of the player?
[/quote]

I am sure you might find the age of the player a factor in the iron cover debate. I know my kids growing up don't take care of anything. "I'll just get dad to buy me a new one" attitude. When I was young I took care of my things. Things were different back then. I was raised different and maybe I have failed at raising my kids the same way. You might want to ask if their is a correlation between what time period you were raised as a kid .
I am 50 now. Yes I am a senior by most standards. Is age the factor why I use iron covers? NO.. Not directly. I used iron covers back when I was 30. It is just in my personality to like nice things and to take care of them. I still use a softball glove from 1980. I still use fishing reels from the 70's. No I am not cheap and never bought anything new. I have newer gloves, reels etc. My point is I always take care of my things. From oiling my gloves, lubing my reels, to stripping down my paintball guns and polishing every part in it after each use. It is just the way I am. Yes I play alot of golf now. My clubs are cleaned right away after every round when I get home. Sometimes I polish the heads and wax the heads of my woods . Am I affraid to use them? No. What I can control I do. What I can't, I don't worry about. I try to keep things as nice as possible . With clubs , they are for playing not for looking at. It doesn't mean I don't try to take care of them though.

I always use iron covers. On one hand, I do not like to get my forged irons all banged up, also I hate the chatter sound when I am walking. The sound doesn't bother me as much, but I do not want it to disturb others when they are hitting. Most of the time I am ahead of the other people in my group, so I can continue to walk while they are getting ready to hit. Without the covers, I'd have to stop and wait so the clanking sound isn't distracting.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

:cheesy:

Another one of these threads...

I personally find iron covers a PITA. Hated dealing with them when I was caddying, and have never put them on my own clubs.

But last time I checked, [i][b]I am not buying clubs for anyone other than me![/b][/i] If you want to use iron covers on your clubs, well, they are [u]your[/u] freaking clubs, so do what you want! :good:

That said, at the driving range last night there was a guy next to me who was fighting with his iron covers - having a hard time getting them on and off. Then he dropped one down into his bag. Whoops. :angry2: Had to take all of his clubs out and turn the bag upside down to fish it out. The iron covers were clearly causing him much frustration, so I looked a bit closer to see what irons he was covering.

Ping ISI-Ks! :WTF:

Now I got a good :taunt: out of that one. I've played PIngs off and on (off right now) for years and I have always felt that in a contest between a sandblaster and a Ping iron, my money is on the Ping iron. Iron covers on Pings - really??

But again - they were not my clubs and I did not buy him those clubs, so if he wants to use iron covers, cover on.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I've been playing the same set of Precept Tour Forged musclebacks since 2002. I wish I would have used head covers, at least when traveling. With so few
options to replace these with there is nothing cool about the amount of wear on them.

That being said I got put in a group the other day with an older gentleman that had the old plastic horseshoe style iron covers (black ones, remember the red as well).
I sort of laughed to myself remembering those from the 70's. Underneath were an absolutely beautiful set of 70's Titleist blades he'd been using all these years.
Genuine cool. He quietly went about his game and ended at even.

Sod off if you don't like iron covers.

Yeah, I have been playing with JDM forged irons for awhile already coz I just love the feel. I am currently using the Fourteen TC910 and cost me an arm and a leg. I just sold my five year old miura CB's for a premium. I try to play three times a week and use a caddie. I use iron covers pretty much just like the putters, drivers, woods and hybrids, I want to "damage" my clubs due to hitting hitting the ball, not due to the slamming of the clubs into the bag or even bag chattering. And by the way, I find it cool when I show my iron covers and then collect the bets from my flightmates after shooting in the mid 70's.

[quote name='mrhills0146' timestamp='1283527720' post='2677411']
The iron covers were clearly causing him much frustration, so I looked a bit closer to see what irons he was covering.

Ping ISI-Ks! :WTF:

Now I got a good :taunt: out of that one. I've played PIngs off and on (off right now) for years and I have always felt that in a contest between a sandblaster and a Ping iron, my money is on the Ping iron. Iron covers on Pings - really??

But again - they were not my clubs and I did not buy him those clubs, so if he wants to use iron covers, cover on.
[/quote]

a person walking her dog knocked over my bag ( i shouldn't place my clubs on the sidewalk anyways even for a minute). Anyways my Ping i3s did more damage to the sidewalk. There was some cement dust on the pings, so take that.

[quote name='JASONR5' timestamp='1283370932' post='2674017']
[quote name='freshprince99' timestamp='1283359523' post='2673623']
100 posts on the iron cover debate! i cant believe this thing has turned into this big of a thing. i grossly underestimated how many people are using these things, i hardly ever see anyone with them!
[/quote]

Do a search. You will see that there have been dozens of pages devoted to this very topic. [b]It seems that people have more pleasure polishing their clubs than in playing golf.[/b]
[/quote]

I think what you meant to say is that you're often waxed by players with iron covers.

Handicap:  3

[quote name='timinsprings' timestamp='1283387327' post='2674551']
Is there a correlation between iron cover use and the age of the player?
[/quote]

No, just in the age of the ones debating a "non factor" in all of golf, use 'em if you want and don't use 'em if you don't want to and just play golf. I don't care if you wear JL clothing or jeans, just play golf. Screw the rest, play fast and good and get along.