Amateurs with Staff Bags...Yes or No?(merged)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BestGrips' timestamp='1384309112' post='8140596']
Debating on getting a FCO III or Billboard Bag by Club Glove and then possibly carrying them as full custom options. Will I look like a dork on the first tee or range lugging a staff bag around (with my BestGrips logos)?
[/quote]

I think your logo'd bag would look good. You're using it for advertising so be sure to have it finished in eye-catching colours. You'll probably get four different reactions on the range:

1. " What are Best Grips? "
2. " Wouldn't be caught dead with that bag "
3. " Love the bag, where can I buy one? "
4. " Can you get it as a stand bag? "

[quote name='BestGrips' timestamp='1384309112' post='8140596']
Debating on getting a FCO III or Billboard Bag by Club Glove and then possibly carrying them as full custom options. Will I look like a dork on the first tee or range lugging a staff bag around (with my BestGrips logos)?
[/quote]Great idea to advertise your products plus it can be a tax deduction. No I don't think you will look like a dork. But who cares what others think

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1374767364' post='7536898']
I'll post a comment about staff bags, if for no other reason, to move this thread away from a bunch of buys continually dropping their drawers to compare sizes of their own clubs.

Regardless of what one thinks someone is trying to project, accomplish, or show when having a staff bag, I personally could never see using one for practical reasons. They are so darn big and heavy. For one, I like to occassionally carry. But for those who don't, you might say it's not a huge deal to leave it at the bag drop before loading on it a cart. Maybe. But another reason against it for me is how a staff bag might not fit in a lot of car trunks. Even if the bag fits in your trunk, you might be in a situation where someone else is driving a smaller car and/or several bags need to get into a trunk. Just not practical in my mind.

Last point... A couple years ago I was at the US Senior Open. The one thing that stood out the most was how virtually no one had a staff bag. 90% of the guys - even very familiar names - had run of the mill carry bags. The takeaway was, if a club maker isn't paying you to have one, there's no benefit to a staff bag.
[/quote]The part about the car trunk is funny but true today. We have a joke about it at my part time job that the criteria for me to purchase a car is that it will hold a staff bag with 2 extra bags of clubs a shag bag of balls and 4 pairs of golf shoes. My vehicles 1989 Buick Riveria, 1991 Caddy sedan De Ville and a 1996 Dodge Pickup. Not only into classic clubs but classic cars as well

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Staff bags, if you like them, use them. I received a huge staff bag in the 1980's as a gift. I used a trolley up until about 15 years ago, when I thought it was just too heavy. I have used a multitude of carry/Sunday bags since with 5-7 clubs. I remarked somewhere how I won a huge Callaway staff bag a couple years ago. I gave it to my nephew. Guys still kid me about winning it.

Back in the 1960's, when I started playing golf, very, very few guys used small bags, whether walking or riding. A big bag was a status symbol. I bought a smaller staff bag in 1975, and used it until I got the huge bag.

As far as shorts go, aside from a few times, I've never worn shorts. I'm not a "dude" or pro wannabee, but pants, nice or rumpled khakis are my pants of choice. I like OCBD shirts, have worn them for 40 years on and off the course. I feel they're more comfortable than polos. Short sleeves for hot weather, long sleeves for cold.

I use a TM bag which is a tour style bag but the slightly smaller "cart" bag version which I use on a trolley

I find that it just looks much nicer than a stand bag and I can fit all my stuff in easily (big stash of gloves, rain glove, waterproofs, loads of balls tee, valuables bag with ball markers, pitchfork, sharpies etc.)

I use a push trolley so I find I get just as much of a "workout" by pushing that around (our course is quite hilly), I have a stand bag as well which I use when I go to the range or feel like carrying.

I'm seriously considering getting a full size tour bag this Christmas depending on what deals are around.

I play off 17 and I don't really care what people think, I want to have a nice bag and that's up to me its just what I like.

TM 16 M2 10.5 up to 12.0 Aldila NVS R
TM RBZ 3 Wood 15.0 Aldila NV R
Adams Pro 20 Xcalibur Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-PW TT XP95 R
Vokey SM5 50*, 54*, 58* Raw Black
Scotty Cameron Cali Sonoma Superstoke Flatso 1.0
Srixon AD333 Tour
Adidas
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/923763-oakey90-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Funny Story:

i friend started playing golf. he got my own clubs and we've been on public courses twice. so he makes 15 air-strokes unless he catches the ball and thin it 70yards further :-)

so he knows nothing about golf, but his ballmarker is 1oz goldcoin and he also trying to get a custom 24k gold pitching-fork....

when he wants to buy a bag, we checked individual bags. so we came up to a customizer. price for his bag was around 1300$ and he wanted to buy, but they say, they cant stick high-quality facepic of his son on the bag, so he didnt bought it.

now we want to go to thailand for some golfing, and since you need a caddy, he needs to buy a carry-bag. i recommend a StaffBag, that would be good and comfortable for caddies. so he just bought the 2013 Titleist Staff Bag.
It will be super funny, when we meet our Caddies, walking towards Tee1 and the caddy looks for club an the longest he can find is a 5Iron (which he cant play :D). So i told him to buy a 4hybrid and a driver, just for having it.
how dare people to judge him, depending his bag/clubs ? this guy knows nothing about golf. he just have fun hitting balls and walking with me. he dont even know the difference between a cartbag, standbag and staffbag. Who wants to blame him? And if he needs 20 Strokes on Par4, ill take care we dont play slow....

bottomline:
dont judge others. buy what makes you happy and is affordable. when they have fun, its great.

I bought an older Titleist staff bag off Craigslist several years ago. I prefer it for riding because it's narrower than any cart bag I've seen. I've recently picked up a carry bag for walking, but my handicap doesn't affect what bag I use.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

Just bought myself a Taylormade T2 R1 cart bag with some coupons from Golf Galaxy for 150 bucks, and I'm pumped. I also bought a cart a while ago, and I only have a stand bag. Now I have something that will fit the cart better, plus I can put more stuff in it, including rain clothes for my wife who likes to come along but doesn't always play, snacks, etc.

Plus, they're thicker, and so they are somewhat water repellant, which I really like.

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1388734279' post='8389511']
Just bought myself a Taylormade T2 R1 cart bag with some coupons from Golf Galaxy for 150 bucks, and I'm pumped. I also bought a cart a while ago, and I only have a stand bag. Now I have something that will fit the cart better, plus I can put more stuff in it, including rain clothes for my wife who likes to come along but doesn't always play, snacks, etc.

Plus, they're thicker, and so they are somewhat water repellant, which I really like.
[/quote]

I had the R11 T2 cart bag and it was great, the only thing was the top was a bit small and it was tricky getting clubs in and out with the rain hood on and also you couldn't put it on a cart without blocking one of the pocket but that's not anything major, it was a great bag.

My mum and dad got me the R1 staff bag from eBay for an absolute steal at £139.00! and it's great one side has no pockets on so you can put this on the cart and leave all the other pockets fully accessible and it has two drinks pockets so you can get around 2L of liquid in there which will be great in the summer and the bigger top is a lot easier for getting clubs in and out.

They do keep the water out quite well unless it rains very hard which it does a lot here in the UK! but they can only do so much!

Not only do these types of bag look so nice you can get probably three times the amount in there than you can in a stand bag and you don't have to break your back because you can put it on a cart.

Srixon AD333 Tour
Adidas

absolutely LOVE IT!

<3

gDkXAxF.jpg

That's a nice bag, and trackman! :)

Srixon AD333 Tour
Adidas

• 3 weeks later...

I can't do a staff bag since I can't stay loyal to one manufacturer. The longest I have stayed loyal to a brand was cobra and for only two years.

Callaway Rogue Aldila Rogue
Callaway Rogue 3w Aldila Synergy
Callaway Rogue Hybrid 2 Aldila Synergy
Mizuno 919 Forged 4i - PW Dynamic Gold 105
Callaway MD4 Raw 52 S-Grind
Callaway MD4 Raw 56 S-Grind
Callaway MD3 60 PM Grind
Toulon Memphis

I use a staff and a carry bag. If i know I'm going to be using a cart I'll bring the staff bag but walking 18 holes with a staff bag is pretty tiring especially at my home course because of a lot of elevation changes.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to get the JDM Mizuno MP craft bag, but my ping dlx cart bag barely fits in my trunk. The MP Craft bag does look really tempting in red and black.

The problem i have with staff bags is that i would like individual compartments but that is not commonly sold with the staff bags.

They are also tough to strap onto the back of a cart and some caddies grimmace when they see a potential client walk up with one.

Even with the impracticality, I really don't care about who buys them as the number one "rite of passage for a pro" is not some bag, it is collecting a check for playing a game they love.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

• 3 weeks later...

I don't judge a bad player with a fancy bag, and as long as they don't judge me for not having brand new equipment, we will all get along nicely.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21