2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tips for protecting clubs when flying?

Thankfully I've got a short flight with no layovers, so there shouldn't be TOO much handling going on, but what are some tips to make the bag/clubs a little more secure? I was thinking of just packing the 'top' of the bag, near the club heads, with towels to minimize damage from being dropped. Anything other cheap solutions you all have done and had success with?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel frequently with my clubs and have never had a problem. Get a good travel bag ( the Ogio bags with the sled bottom are excellent), cover each iron with a sock, wrap the top of the clubs with a towel so they are in the travel bag tight and they don't move around. Some people also use a stiff arm or a hockey stick cut just a bit longer than your driver. I have never had a problem and I have travelled over 75 times with my clubs, the only bad thing is the extra baggage charge the airlines have now.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

This might be a good time for iron covers. Don't have to cut up socks or anything and they will stay on( just make sure and take them off before you play or the "iron cover police" on here will get you.:shout: ).

Also, does anyone who has the adjustable drivers take the head off and store it seperately? and if so, do you put anything over the tip to protect it?

If you own a Speed Stick you can use it in place of the wooden dowel or broomstick handle mentioned above.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually traveling Southwest, so no baggage fees! Woohoo!! I very rarely travel with my clubs so I don't have a 'good' travel bag, but packed well the one I have will be sufficient. Still, I'll be taking my "back up" clubs, because I've had them for 10+ years and I prefer them to anything I'd rent/borrow.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1309370093' post='3345794']
This might be a good time for iron covers. Don't have to cut up socks or anything and they will stay on( just make sure and take them off before you play or the "iron cover police" on here will get you.:shout: ).

Also, does anyone who has the adjustable drivers take the head off and store it seperately? and if so, do you put anything over the tip to protect it?
[/quote]

Most likely you're packing socks anyway. Just use them as iron covers.

[b][size="2"]"Tips for protecting clubs when flying?"[/size][/b]

Once the club has been released from the hand and propelled by the angry user (usually after making a poor shot)....there's not much one can do to protect the club.

One must hope that that the club doesn't hit a tree, rock, or worst of all......another golfer.

J

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1309371441' post='3345863']

Once the club has been released from the hand and propelled by the angry user (usually after making a poor shot)....there's not much one can do to protect the club.
[b]
One must hope that that the club doesn't hit a tree, rock, or worst of all......another golfer.
[/b]
J
[/quote]

A rock or tree would probably do more damage to the club.

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

Club Glove with Stiff Arm. I wrap a towel or two around the irons to keep them from banging around too much.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1309371441' post='3345863']

J
[/quote]

LOL! What if I'm throwing them in to a pond? Anything I can do to ensure a somewhat safe water landing?

To mimic what many have already said get a quality travel case and a stiff arm. I never thought of putting socks on my clubs but I always wrap the hosels of my clubs to one another with fishing string and and zip ties and then secure them to my bag. Then I'll stuff my two players towels around and between the heads. Yeah it takes a few extra minutes to pack and unpack the clubs but I've seen brand spanking new clubs vanish from bags on occasion when traveling -- happened to my father last year with his FT Tour -- and I'll make sure they either take the whole darn bag or nothing.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1309371722' post='3345884']
Club Glove with Stiff Arm. I wrap a towel or two around the irons to keep them from banging around too much.
[/quote]

I fly with my clubs at least a half-dozen times each year (mostly on Southwest too), and I do the exact same. The waiver you sign with SW when you check the clubs says they are not liable for any damage to the clubs, only if they lose them. So if you fly without any protection for your graphite shafted driver, you're gambling.

[quote name='_MS22_' timestamp='1309371911' post='3345893'] ... I always wrap the hosels of my clubs to one another with fishing string and and zip ties and then secure them to my bag.
[/quote]

Not a bad idea! I assume you're talking about securing the clubs to the golf bag, right? I'm sure any 'sticky fingers' would be deterred at the first sign of resistance. If I traveled more with my clubs I'd just get a real nice club bag and not worry, but I've only flown with my clubs two or three times in the past four years.

I've taken all the tips from this forum, and here's what I do.

I travel with a carry/stand bag - not a cart or tour bag - this keeps weight under 15kg for international flights, which offer free carriage of sports equipment including 1 set of golf clubs.

Put all clubs in stand bag - tape legs to bag to make sure they don't spring out accidentally; use iron covers, fairway and driver covers. Thread towel through clubs, and also wrap another towel around clubs (like a turban) to stop them banging about. Zip up rain hood. Lastly I use a Stiff Arm by ClubGlove which protrudes above the towel-wrap, out of the rain hood.

Then place bag in a Titleist travel bag - the one I use looks like this - and zip up!

titleist_wheeled_travel%20_cover.jpg

All's good to go from here!

;)

I travel with at least two towels. They get snaked between the irons to keep them from banging. I've gotten used to travelling with a carry bag to save weight, so that's enough to fill the rain hood. Then add a soft padded case on top of that. No problems with breakage and I can pack the shoes in the travel bag and keep it below 50 lbs.

The only crappy part is that TSA always insists on opening up the golf bag. I'm going to be pissed if they steal my putter.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[/quote]

+1 ... and if you feel the need throw some covers on. In a travel bag is the only place I won't consider you a tool for using them.

[quote name='Timothy Q' timestamp='1309373108' post='3345949']
[/quote]

+1 ... and if you feel the need throw some covers on. In a travel bag is the only place I won't consider you a tool for using them.
[/quote]

Use the covers, great protection. The best protection is to get a hard bag. I know some people don't like them, but delta snapped 4 of the heads off my clubs once so I went to a hard case. Also many of them have lifetime warranties which is a nice plus.

Put a plastic bucket over the top, and like mentioned, cut a broomstick just over the driver height. The bucket will protect all around the top while the broomstick will protect the clubs from pressure coming from the top end.

Im assuming you are using a travel cover / bag.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

Repeating some of the above, with an added caveat:

Club Glove with Stiff Arm - the CG is the best travel bag, period. And I had an airline break a Stiff Arm (bent and jammed so it couldn't be used anymore), but it served its purpose and saved my driver. Bought another one immediately.

Wrap your irons with a couple of towels by interlacing the towels around the top of the iron shafts and around the heads.

Lastly, if you have an adjustable driver (Titleist, Taylor Made, Cobra, etc.) where the head is removable - remove the head, wrap it in a towel, and place in one of the pockets on your bag. Then turn the shaft upside down and place in bag with the grip protruding from the bag. If you don't have an adjustable driver, definitely by the Stiff Arm - worth the investment.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

[quote name='mkay' timestamp='1309375157' post='3346070']
Put a plastic bucket over the top, and like mentioned, cut a broomstick just over the driver height
[/quote]

And you'll be prepared if 1) the bathrooms are broken, 2) a cow needs to be milked, or 3) a game of stickball breaks out.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1309378962' post='3346245']
[quote name='mkay' timestamp='1309375157' post='3346070']
Put a plastic bucket over the top, and like mentioned, cut a broomstick just over the driver height
[/quote]

And you'll be prepared if 1) the bathrooms are broken, 2) a cow needs to be milked, or 3) a game of stickball breaks out.
[/quote]

I hate having to borrow another traveler's broomstick for airport stick ball games.

I've traveled a lot with golf clubs...domestic and international. 8-10 years ago had two driver shafts snapped by Southwest about 3 months apart, the second one of which had a broomstick in the bag that got snapped too. After this, I bought a Club Glove Last Bag and a 1-inch diameter doll rod that I cut 2" taller than my driver and put a tennis ball on top (cut hole in tennis ball and slide on top, can tape it as well if you want to make sure it stays for a long time). I've never had a problem since with more than 100 flights since. This was before the Stiff Arm came out but haven't seen a reason to change. I also wrap towels around clubs and put a rain cover on top to make sure it is packed well. Great thing about the Last Bag is you have plenty of room for clothes, shoes, etc. Before it, I went through a soft travel case at least once a year. Not a fan of hard cases due to the room they take up without clubs in them.

[quote name='drgolfaholic' timestamp='1309371005' post='3345843']
Stiff Arm by Club Glove. A must for any soft travel covers.
[/quote]

+1 on this suggestion. I travel a lot with my clubs (just got back from Pinehurst) and I have both a Club Glove case (which works FINE by itself) but with the added Stiff Arm, nothing has ever happened to my clubs. No need for extra towels, padding, etc.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

• 7 months later...

Old thread , but it's on my mind for ideas as I'm flying south soon with all new sticks:

For sure I use and recommend Stiff Arm and a quality travel cover. I bought the Sun Mountain Meridian Glider a few years ago on a store close out sale. Expensive even at that sale, but worth every penny. Plus it moves loaded at the pull of one finger. Really.

Still, I always get a roll of heavier bubble wrap and wrap it through the irons, woods and to the top. (Think it's usually around 10 bucks at Staples for lots.) Then I put on the rain hood and use a towel to fill any space to the top of the rain cover.

Since I'm traveling internationally to/from Canada and US, it's probably a given that TSA will open it up just to make sure it is golf clubs. Hopefully the bubble wrap wrapped around the clubs will ensure club visibility and remove the likelihood of them dumping it all out and putting them back willy-nilly. So far so good for not much disruption after they look in.

Nonetheless, I'm toying with the idea of adding iron headcovers to my new irons this coming trip...

I did the Club Glove a couple of times but eventually went back to the ugly old SKB hard case. What a nightmare to schlep around the airport but at least it has wheels. The only issue is if you have a really, really small rental car at the other end but usually the dinky ones have a back-seat pass through of some kind.

At airports in England and Scotland there are "Left Luggage" concessions right in the terminal. That's the best deal going, stick the golf bag with tons of extra padding in the big hard case and as soon as you land and reclaim bags just drop the hardshell and the extra padding off at Left Luggage. Carry the golf bag like a golf bag until you get back to the airport to go home. You can also stick anything in there that you want on the plane but not during your visit, there's plenty of room once the golf bag is out.

I don't think they have those deals at USA airports, alas.