2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New PING Milled Putter Line Drops - Discuss and show urs off too!

Beastmode Broker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Minty7890' timestamp='1313091616' post='3474531']
[quote name='davy9' timestamp='1313091260' post='3474501']
A bit softer, but by no means mushy.
[/quote]

Similar to the Studio Select NP2 or firmer?
Thanks again.
[/quote]

softer
thats my other putter before this one too

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

I was putting with them today briefly with some crap balls at Edwin Watts. I tried the Anser, 4, and 6. I really like the setup and feel of these putters. The grip was awesome. I rolled the 6 the best since it's the style that fits me. I would get one but I have a really expensive machine putter coming next week.

Also noted that 2 of the putter had marks on them already. To the point that I would not have bought them if I wanted to. The finish looks so good new.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1313098582' post='3474896']
I was putting with them today briefly with some crap balls at Edwin Watts. I tried the Anser, 4, and 6. I really like the setup and feel of these putters. The grip was awesome. I rolled the 6 the best since it's the style that fits me. I would get one but I have a really expensive machine putter coming next week.

Also noted that 2 of the putter had marks on them already. To the point that I would not have bought them if I wanted to. The finish looks so good new.
[/quote]
I don't know why retail golf stores keep these expensive putters out for people to bang around? I would keep those babies behind lock and key.

I was at the local GolfTown today and got to play around with a few new Anser putters. Nice all around putter... but I literally had to triple check the price point.

First glance - "Oh, $200 bucks...ok"

Second Glance - "Does that read $230?"

Last Glance - "$299!!!"

Sorry, but I think the price is going to hold people back.

That's about right for the high quality retail lines. Not sure where the price point is off.

Was at my local GG and they only have anser 2, 4 and 6's. :( might go up to the golfsmith tomorrow after work and see what they have going on. The 4 fits my eye well but I need to try that scottsdale.

D - Tour Burner TP 9.5*/Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard 63g 

3W - 07 Burner TP TS/Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 73g

2h - Razr Tour/Aldila NV Hybrid 85

3h - Diablo Edge Tour/Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 HB

5-7 - P790/KBS C-Taper 120

8-PW - P770/KBS C-Taper 120

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

P - Nike Method Origin B2-01 Naked

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1313024235' post='3471598']
Boy has Ping ripped off Scotty Cameron's Newport line of putters. You would think that Ping could come up with some original designs of their own.

I love your putter I have an Anser 4 that I love, never liked the plumbers neck versions. What is the difference between the 4 and the 6 model?
[/quote]

The Ping Anser design upon which Cameron's Newport line is based on (along with everyone's heel/toe weighted putters are based on) was designed by Karsten Solheim in 1966, patent 1967. Who is copying who?

[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1313109265' post='3475379']
Boy has Ping ripped off Scotty Cameron's Newport line of putters. You would think that Ping could come up with some original designs of their own.

I love your putter I have an Anser 4 that I love, never liked the plumbers neck versions. What is the difference between the 4 and the 6 model?
[/quote]

The Ping Anser design upon which Cameron's Newport line is based on (along with everyone's heel/toe weighted putters are based on) was designed by Karsten Solheim in 1966, patent 1967. Who is copying who?
[/quote]
For the last time, IT WAS A JOKE! How are people not seeing this?

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Sad thing is, while at GG there was this kid who was no more than 12 and was looking at all the scottys. I pulled down the anser 5 (my bad, they didn't have any anser 4s, it was 2, 5 and 6) and he goes "woah, are those new? They look just like scotty's!" I was just in straight shock...

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1313108110' post='3475328']
That's about right for the high quality retail lines. Not sure where the price point is off.

[/quote]

After seeing the Kia Ma's price drop this year, the economy and the slowish Redwood sales of past I thought it might behoove Ping to find the pricing sweet spot between a Scotty Cameron and an Odyssey. A $200 dollar putter would fit that bill.

I was wrong on the grip btw, noticed tonight it was definitely the same as the scotty dancing red cord grips.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1313110544' post='3475447']
Sad thing is, while at GG there was this kid who was no more than 12 and was looking at all the scottys. I pulled down the anser 5 (my bad, they didn't have any anser 4s, it was 2, 5 and 6) and he goes "woah, are those new? They look just like scotty's!" I was just in straight shock...
[/quote]

That's how it works, i'm 16 and i see scottys about 3-1 with any other kind of putter, i don't even know if they like them that much it's just what they have to have. Made me get rid of my scotty, although this year i saw less scottys and more anser 2 style tmag ghosts. Those were everywhere.

I think i have to lean towards the 5. although i cannot for the life of me figure out which putter style is for me.

My top three contenders, all very different are a tei3 newport 2 a white hot #8 and a white ice #9. i hate it i wish i could just find something that works. and i'll probably have to look at an anser milled, adding to the difficulties

Ping G430 LST 9 Project X HZRDUS Red RDX 6X

Ping G430 LST 15@14 Project X HZRDUS Black Gen 4 7X

Ping G430 3H Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 85X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Orange Dot Dynamic Gold X100

Ping S159 50, 56, 60 X100 in 50, 56, S400 in 60

SeeMore SBC20 46" Broomstick

[quote name='Scaldy' timestamp='1313112024' post='3475550']
[quote name='Chappie' timestamp='1313108110' post='3475328']

[/quote]

After seeing the Kia Ma's price drop this year, the economy and the slowish Redwood sales of past I thought it might behoove Ping to find the pricing sweet spot between a Scotty Cameron and an Odyssey. A $200 dollar putter would fit that bill.
[/quote]

There is no KIA ma line this year, just taylormade tour. When the KIA ma line returns, expect to see it come back at the 299 price point.

Not sure where you get this idea that the redwoods didn't sell well. They did, why else would ping have run with it as long as they did?

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1313109265' post='3475379']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I did it too...Every time I read the first part of TJ's post I cringe so much I dont really read the 2nd part. LMAO. Got this far into the thread before I realized it was sarcasm

[/quote]

...well did you educate the uninformed little fella?

Cant wait to try these putters. I hope I dont end up wanting to get rid of my bettinardi's lol

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1313114674' post='3475718']
[/quote]

...well did you educate the uninformed little fella?

Cant wait to try these putters. I hope I dont end up wanting to get rid of my bettinardi's lol
[/quote]

Lol I said something to the affect of "well it better seeing as scotty and everyone else copied pings original design" and he just sort of stared at me blankly for a second and then started putting with it. I wonder if he'll one day stumble upon a place like here or putter talk and educate himself, or if he will stay looking at things from the outside in with an uninformed mind.

50* - Nike Engage 

54* - Nike VR Forged 

60* - Nike VR Forged

I want one, too :(

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

renamed the thread so we could all share about the new line and show off your new Anser milled! :partytime2:

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Tried these at my local Golfsmith today. I was pretty disappointed. The putters, although stainless steel, are nickel plated. The nickel finish is not durable at all. As noted above, it marks easily. I got to my Golfsmith about 2 hours after they opened and the putters already had marks on the sole. The misted portion of the nickel rubs off and leaves a polished silver underneath. I think after some regular use these putters are going to look like crap.

I have NO IDEA why Ping nickel plated a stainless steel putter. Bead blasted stainless steel (like the Cameron Studio Select) looks good and is crazy durable. What Ping came up with is not going to be durable.

I was looking forward to this release but will pass.

Well that didn't last long...

Just had my new Milled Anser 4 out at the putting green along with my NP2.

Back in the day I had a G2 Anser 4 and had some of the best putting days that I can remember. For some reason (the ho in me of course) I got rid of it and switched to plumber neck style putters.

So when I heard that this new Anser line was going to have a #4, I was looking forward to picking one up and expecting to get the results of old... not so much. I think I turned myself into a plumber neck guy. My NP2 just feels so much more comfortable on the green, and I've been having some success with it this season too - including a couple rounds in the 60's last week.

Sadly, the 4 is going back tomorrow. Might take a little harder look at the 0 though! :partytime2:

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1313120007' post='3476065']
Tried these at my local Golfsmith today. I was pretty disappointed. The putters, although stainless steel, are nickel plated. The nickel finish is not durable at all. As noted above, it marks easily. I got to my Golfsmith about 2 hours after they opened and the putters already had marks on the sole. The misted portion of the nickel rubs off and leaves a polished silver underneath. I think after some regular use these putters are going to look like crap.

I have NO IDEA why Ping nickel plated a stainless steel putter. Bead blasted stainless steel (like the Cameron Studio Select) looks good and is crazy durable. What Ping came up with is not going to be durable.

[/quote]

what makes you think it's nickel plated?

it's just a media blasted stainless finish.

Got a #5 last night. Fantastic putter. I had 2 putters of my own in hand getting adjusted. Afterwards I noticed the Ansers on the rack. Traded my 2 right then and there.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i230 6-UW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 115

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

[/quote]

[size=2]The [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent"]patent[/url] for the PING Anser putter came on March 21, 1967.[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron was born November 8, 1962. [/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]Your statement claims that Ping stole the Anser putter idea from Scotty Cameron when he was 4 years old. (which makes you and idiot)[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]There's also a little tidbit of info that you seem to just completely disregard in your blind idiocracy:[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron "then began making putters and selling his putters directly to some of the major golf equipment manufacturers, including [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxfli"]Maxfli[/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Golf"]Cleveland[/url] and finally in late 1991 or early 1992 exclusively for [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuno_Corp."]Mizuno[/url]. In late 1992 Cameron tried to get [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuno_Corp."]Mizuno[/url] to produce an Anser style head. When [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuno_Corp."]Mizuno[/url] turned down the idea Cameron and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizuno_Corp."]Mizuno[/url] parted ways"[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]

My local Golf Galaxy had these on the floor yesterday and I got a chance to take a look at them. All they had available was the #5 and #6 and a left handed #1.

At first glance, I noticed that the color of the finish is a very light silver and it didn't look like your typical bead blasted stainless steel. Upon having a closer look, the putters do have a nickel plating on them that leaves marks very easily as there were rub marks all over the putters. What's left is the shiny finish of the plating when the misted portion is removed. It also says directly on the PING website that the putters have an "elegant satin nickel finish that is optically appealing".

[url="http://www.ping.com/clubs/puttersdetail.aspx?id=9938&tid=555"]http://www.ping.com/...id=9938&tid=555[/url]

Also, the price point is a huge miss in my opinion. If they could make the Redwood line from milled 303 stainless steel with a nickel plated finish (black nickel) and sell them for $249, why in the world did they choose to release these at $300?

The one thing I loved about the putter is the grip. The grip is fantastic. I love the gray color and the shape is perfect. If you have the ability to order just the grips from an authorized PING account, I will be picking up a couple as soon as I can.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1313120007' post='3476065']

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I completely agree. Very disappointing. I'm not sure whether it's nickel plated or whatever, the finish doesn't seem durable at all. I was at a Golfsmith as well. Every Anser on the floor looked like crap. One day on the floor, what's going to happen on the course?

Was really interested in a 2 or 4. Maybe it's Golfsmith, I'll check them out again. Right now I have to pass.