2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Ohio Golf

hazebronso

I agree with you on firestone. Boring up and down back and forth. But brookside is the most unfair course I've ever played in my life. Not sure I would ever go back!

Murfield is definitely on my list to play! Let's have a wrx outing there!

Interesting...what did you think was unfair about Brookside? It is tough but never felt it was unfair in my 3-4 times of playing it

The greens honestly. When we played they were way too firm and couldn't hold anything even like a wedge or chip shot to stay on. It was awful

nikegolfer1983

The greens at Brookside are probably the most wild greens Ross ever built. I can see how they can be unfair when fast and firm, but that's true of many classic course that have more than a 2.5 -3 degree slope and are running at speeds of 11 or 12. I think the greens on 7 & 8 can be softened, but in normal conditions the other greens are fair. I play to my handicap there. I think if you went back and played under normal conditions you'd enjoy it more.

Well I'll have to come up and we'll have to go then!

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Pretty psyched to be playing Moraine CC next week!3e2f65269ab72037d0812404f1e0fc21.jpg

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Pretty psyched to be playing Moraine CC next week!3e2f65269ab72037d0812404f1e0fc21.jpg

It's a great course and very scenic. Generous fairways and rough is easy to hit out of, but the tall fescue is thick and you're unlikely to find your ball. That pic is of the par 3 on the front and almost looks like a Macdonald/Raynor hole. If you hit drives 270 or beyond, I recommend playing the tips or some sort of hybrid. I played from the tees ahead of the tips because I was playing with some older guys and I was overpowering the par 4s and 5s.

I agree with you on firestone. Boring up and down back and forth. But brookside is the most unfair course I've ever played in my life. Not sure I would ever go back!

Interesting...what did you think was unfair about Brookside? It is tough but never felt it was unfair in my 3-4 times of playing it

The greens honestly. When we played they were way too firm and couldn't hold anything even like a wedge or chip shot to stay on. It was awful

nikegolfer1983

The greens at Brookside are probably the most wild greens Ross ever built. I can see how they can be unfair when fast and firm, but that's true of many classic course that have more than a 2.5 -3 degree slope and are running at speeds of 11 or 12. I think the greens on 7 & 8 can be softened, but in normal conditions the other greens are fair. I play to my handicap there. I think if you went back and played under normal conditions you'd enjoy it more.

These are the courses I have access to anytime:

Brookside: $100

Canterbury: $230

Mayfield: $100

Sand Ridge: $130

Courses I have friends at and might be able to arrange a game:

Country Club (Pepper Pike): $130

Kirtland: $100

Firestone: Varies

I live in Northeast Ohio. My favorites in Ohio:

Muirfield Village (Columbus)

Brookside (Canton), classic Ross course with wild greens

Inverness (Toledo)

Kirtland (Cleveland area), underrated course by CH Alison. Back 9 among the best in Ohio

Moraine CC (Dayton), recently renovated and visually stunning

Country Club (Pepper Pike), great William Flynn course with some really outstanding and unique holes. I love Flynn greens.

Canterbury (Eastside Cleveland), classic gem where shotmaking is important and really tough greens when fast

Sand Ridge (Chardon), Tom Fazio course once ranked in Top 60 in Golf Digest, but was clearly overrated at that time.

Mayfield (Cleveland area), classic quirky course by Bert Way with a few blind shots

Fowlers Mill (Chardon), early Pete Dye course with not a lot of earth moving

Virtues (Nashport), Arthur Hills course on hilly terrain

Elyria CC (West of Cleveland), short William Flynn course with some of the best greens in Ohio

Firestone North, many view as their favorite course at Firestone

Firestone West, Fazio course where I shot the best finishing 9 of my life

Firestone South, overrated because the tour plays there and a little boring, but great conditions

I have yet to play The Golf Club, Camargo, Scioto, NCR, Shaker, and Double Eagle.

When was the last time you played Inverness?

I played Inverness June 7th.

I played Westwood Country Club in Rocky River for the first time yesterday. A nice Charles Alison track. It's a small piece of property and a lot of short holes, which gives the golfer options off the tee. It has some really good holes, great bunkering, and nice greens. I'd call it an Elyria and Kirtland hybrid.

What did you think of Inverness after they have made some changes? They have a new superintendent this year that they hired from Oakmont.

Double Eagles is Very nice

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

nikegolfer1983

I've not played it but that seems like a good deal for Kirtland, always heard great things. Brookside price seems about right and I'd pay $130 to play the Country Club once also. Canterbury way overpriced at $230. Canterbury, interestingly enough, is pretty reasonable to join if you are under 40. I was all set to join until I found out you have to ride or take a caddy before 4 or 5pm. At $35 for a cart and obviously more for a caddie, I passed. They probably aren't interested in someone like me who complains about a $35 cart fee anyway lol

So I need a good course to play on my way back from my son's soccer tourney in North Olmstead next weekend. I have already played:

Manakiki

Fowler's Mill

Little Mountain

Pine Hills

Shawnee Hills

Quarry

Deer Ridge

Shale Creek

Barberton Brookside CC

Hawk's Nest

Sleepy Hollow

Bunker Hill

Hawthorne Valley

I dont mind going out of my way a bit, was thinking Black Diamond maybe??? Or maybe Grey Hawk.

Has the new Nicklaus course opened up there yet? Eagle something or other.....

Ok. I'm a LONG time lurker here, very short time poster. So I feel like I somewhat know some of you and what you're about. I get that most of you won't feel the same about me but feel free to read any of my posts on here.

Long story short, I bought a condo down in Miramar Beach FL about a month ago. This week is the first week I've been down to it. I mainly purchased it as an investment (and probably retirement home) but for now I plan to lease it out 45ish weeks a year (great investment BTW-tenents basically pay any and all fees and provided there's no major damage I turn a profit renting it out 25 weeks a year).

I've played 5 area courses this week and am planning on returning the second week in January. This was a family vacation, that one will be a "for me" golfing vacation. I'll have my BIL with me. I'm looking at heading down from Central/Southern OH early on Sunday 01/07/18 arriving later that evening. I typically rent it out from Saturday through Saturday but since almost all places down here do that it took 3.5 hours to get the last 8 miles. Hence the arrival on Sunday. I plan to play at least one round every day Monday-Friday with Kelly's Planatation and Regatta Bay making up a minimum of two of the rounds (I'm within 3 miles of each of them and played each this week-they're at minimum on par with Virtues-and IMO quite a bit better). The rest of the trip can be open for discussion. I'm almost scratch (+1 to -3 in the past 12 months) and my BIL is about a 12 but very streaky. He's beat me heads up a couple times in the past year, but also shoots 100 on occasion.

What I'm offering/looking for, two other competent golfers (I don't care about HC, just respect the game, pace of play, and not be an asshat) to come with us. We both have young children (that are not coming with us for this) so our networking is pretty limited. I've already felt around our club and the only ones that would want/can go with us, we'd rather not have (due to reasons that I've outlined above).

I'm offering use of my condo for lodging (it's decent if you'd like pictures PM me). If we're going down as a group I would expect to either use your SUV or have you (both and split cost?) rent one. I'll kick in my share of gas money as will my BIL. I have a compact car and he has a pickup truck so in order for a group to get here someone must have bigger transportation. For example, taking my family down this week I rented a new Ford Expedition. It's nice and roomy and was less than 1k to rent for 9 days. That's the only expense that I'm not willing to split. Either have a very large car/SUV or be willing to rent one. Other than that we'll split costs evenly.

As stated the condo is located decently. There's tons of golf within 10 miles including the two noted above within 3 miles or so. It's right on the beach and we have private access as well as a very nice private pool. It has two BR and two full baths. One of the bedrooms has bunk beds, the master has a king. Ya'll can sleep where you want, I'll take the couch. I've spent all week here this time and will again (don't ask but it has more to do with my back then anything:))

A few ground rules...

1. I am a 13 year clean recovering addict. There is no danger of me going back but I will ask that you respect this and not look at this as a party trip. If you want to have a few drinks here and there I'm fine with that. I'd just prefer you not get plastered. I'm even ok if you smoke a little MJ if that's your thing. Just don't do it around me and don't do it in my condo or in a way that I could find myself in legal trouble. Anything harder than that and I have to say a very firm, NO.

2. I will insist that anyone going on this trip play a round with me prior to it. I'm very easy to get along with so this isn't anything to fear (hopefully?:)) I just want to know that whomever I'm sharing my house with is someone that I can enjoy golfing with. I can even host at my club if needed.

3. If Lord Helmet goes, No! You are not getting strokes! :)

4. The end of the week fees are split evenly (trash, housekeeping, etc)-will be about $60.00 per person based on 4. This goes along with any and all costs other than renting an SUV if needed. I can get here with my BIL without renting anything which is why I'm stating that I'm not willing to split on this, don't want to be out of pocket more than I would without hosting. Other than bringing a large vehicle or renting one, EVERYTHING will be split evenly (minus any individual meals if we hit up a restaurant).

Let me know if interested. I'm fine with heading down with just my BIL but I'd rather not run the risk of us getting paired with someone we can't stand (which any of you know that play resort type golf, seems to happen at least once a week). I don't want to get stuck with drunk jackholes that aren't there to golf. I'd also like to make some new golf friends and if this were presented to me, I think it would be a good opportunity. This won't be the most serious golfing trip ever but we won't be here to party our brains out. I'll sweeten the the pot and state that I'm a pretty good chef. I eat well everywhere I go, mainly because I won't let my wife in the kitchen and I just go ahead and do it myself. Tonight was our least impressive dinner and we had marinated pan seared crab stuffed chicken breasts over quinoa.

Respond to thread if interested, shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions. Planning on leaving very early (4-6am) on the 7th of January and leaving similarly early on the 13th. Would put us home late night Saturday the 13th.

What do you do?

Im thinking either male dancer or contract killer. Can work whenever or wherever you want basically with either profession.

Scratch the above post of mine. Lord Helmet is out, with or without strokes. Good luck finding gainful employment. Maybe check out either the Jersey or San Fran threads?:)

So I need a good course to play on my way back from my son's soccer tourney in North Olmstead next weekend. I have already played:

Manakiki

Fowler's Mill

Little Mountain

Pine Hills

Shawnee Hills

Quarry

Deer Ridge

Shale Creek

Barberton Brookside CC

Hawk's Nest

Sleepy Hollow

Bunker Hill

Hawthorne Valley

I dont mind going out of my way a bit, was thinking Black Diamond maybe??? Or maybe Grey Hawk.

Fowler's is probably the best public course in NE Ohio. Since you already played it though, Grey Hawk, Painesville CC, and Boulder Creek are popular.

Stonewater is open to the public now, it's flat but a decent course. Jason Day won his first PGA sponsored event there at 17 and at a party afterwards he asked out the girl who would become his wife

nikegolfer1983

I'll have to hit you up to go to brookside. I grew up in Wooster area so I'm sure I'll be up there this summer/fall

Manakiki

Fowler's Mill

Little Mountain

Pine Hills

Shawnee Hills

Quarry

Deer Ridge

Shale Creek

Barberton Brookside CC

Hawk's Nest

Sleepy Hollow

Bunker Hill

Hawthorne Valley

Fowler's is probably the best public course in NE Ohio. Since you already played it though, Grey Hawk, Painesville CC, and Boulder Creek are popular.

Stonewater is open to the public now, it's flat but a decent course. Jason Day won his first PGA sponsored event there at 17 and at a party afterwards he asked out the girl who would become his wife

Went to stonewater a long time ago right after it opened and it was a great track! Hopefully it will is!

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

Looks like I will play Black Diamond on my way back next weekend, hope the conditions are OK.

What do you do?

Im thinking either male dancer or contract killer. Can work whenever or wherever you want basically with either profession.

Scratch the above post of mine. Lord Helmet is out, with or without strokes. Good luck finding gainful employment. Maybe check out either the Jersey or San Fran threads?:)

Ha! I'm a social worker! Bend of the river is the dancer!

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

What do you do?

Ha! I'm a social worker! Bend of the river is the dancer!

Not a dancer, guess again!!!!

Sorry guys, dancer, social worker. No matter. It looks like I'm full for January. There is the all important round or two played late summer with me to determine whether they'd be people that I'll share my abode with but based on their responses I'm pretty sure that we will hit it off. If something changes between now and then I'll certainly post any availability. If this works out (I'm sure it will) I'll probably be doing this this 3-4 times a year. Why have a great golf pad and not use it? I hope to meet a group of 7-8 guys that can do this annually rotating around. January is set as of now, bit they'll have to get past the "test" or no (hahaha) to make the final list. Seriously though from what I've seen about them, if they don't show up as a heroin fiend and don't stab me or my BIL with a fork, we'll be set for this trip. If this works out I'll post the next date I'll have available. Should be a great time, and more than a great deal for someone looking to play a week in Florida at some primo courses. I anticipate having a larger vehicle in the fall or by spring at the latest. I bought a stupid compact car a year or two ago so that my kids could have something to drive once they hit age. Got one of those 0% deals on it so no rush to pay off, but it's about there. I doubt I take on snow with it this winter and get something more suited for me (really impressed with the expedition I rented, HUGE 4x4 and still got decent economy (21ish mpg) with a 365 HP motor. I think that might be my next car. Not the rental one though, I flogged that dog like the rental it was...:) There's a reason why rentals have to be disclosed when you're buying a car.. I'm that reason:).

For future reference, Lord Helmet still gets no strokes and the stripper guy gets his own bedroom. Let's just call it the garage. If they're ever to go. I'll post dates once I confirm rentals for 2018 bit I've got a week blocked out from rentals every season (probably do the family thing again next year this time again).

I have a huge Toyota Sequoia that would have been perfect, but I cannot take vacation in January. But dont fret, I'll be playing all 3 Streamsong courses, plus a few others around the last week of December!

Almost forgot, enjoy the Streamsong courses. I've never played them but have heard good things about them!

I was supposed to play Red and Blue back in March, but decided to wait so that I could play all 3 courses, and spend 1 night there. I'll play 36 the first day, and 18 holes the next.

I have a huge Toyota Sequoia that would have been perfect, but I cannot take vacation in January. But dont fret, I'll be playing all 3 Streamsong courses, plus a few others around the last week of December!

Can't take vacation in January, easily can the end of December, and just went on an epic run out west during the summer.....my guess is you are in the education field, teacher perhaps?

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Can't take vacation in January, easily can the end of December, and just went on an epic run out west during the summer.....my guess is you are in the education field, teacher perhaps?

Ding, ding. Winner, winner chicken dinner. When do you guys want to play??? Stonelick one afternoon????

Manakiki

Fowler's Mill

Little Mountain

Pine Hills

Shawnee Hills

Quarry

Deer Ridge

Shale Creek

Barberton Brookside CC

Hawk's Nest

Sleepy Hollow

Bunker Hill

Hawthorne Valley

Valley of the Eagles National is the new Nicklaus course....been a bizarre series of events that has gone on there but I got an email last week that said they were opening finally in a "few" weeks. I'll believe it when I see it.

So I guess Im playing in an outing this weekend at the Vinyard down in Cincinnati. anyone know anything about it?

Ding, ding. Winner, winner chicken dinner. When do you guys want to play??? Stonelick one afternoon????

Summer job is the dancer though, right? :)

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Didn't see any mention of this but the Dayton Metro tournament was last week and Josh Gilkison defended his title by shooting rounds of 70-62-63-67 at Heatherwoode (we played it as a Par 70, #9 normally is a Par 5 and we played it as a 4). He's a recent HS graduate of nearby Springboro and is headed to Kent State.

His older brother plays for UD and finished 3rd and they have an even younger brother (14 or 15 years old) who missed the cut by 1 (and stands about 5 foot tall).

Pretty absurd little family there...

So I guess Im playing in an outing this weekend at the Vinyard down in Cincinnati. anyone know anything about it?

Summer job is the dancer though, right? :)

Vineyard ==== a s h i t ton of trees. If they would thin out the trees, they could be one of the better courses around Cincy.

Back in the day I worked at Royal Oak CC, Glenviiew, Avon Field and Wildwood CC (Fairfield, the course is gone now I think) before I had 4 kids. I just spend time w my kids as I have them 55% of the time. Otherwise we travel or GOLF.

I've seen websites that list prices, but they're almost always outdated and incomplete. You'd be better off looking at the clubs' websites and seeing which ones interest you, and then emailing the membership director.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

Has anyone ever come across a list of private clubs in Cincy/NKY that shows what the cost to join is and what they offer?

Constantly changing based upon how bad (or not) they need members. I would bet only 7-10 even have initiation fees any more.