Strangest Animal Encounters

Medic

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once, while playing Seaside down at Sea Island Golf Club I had a raccoon follow me for several holes. Each time I would stop he would get in the cart and check each of the cup holders and the basket (I suppose looking for food). When I would walk back up he would calmly get out and follow me until my next shot. Helped my game too.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

When I moved from CA to the ATL I was playing my first round out there and hit a ball in a creek. I was going to reach in and grab it and one of the guys I was playing with said "what the hell are you doing" He poked the rocked next to my ball with a stick and SNAP. I'd never seen a snapping turtle before.

Also had 3 bear delays. 2 times on the same course Chateau Fairmont in Whistler B.C., both times wife was on the tee box and they just came running out of the trees. Didn't even look at us though

Not quite an animal sighting but still a story that is told basically whenever my family gets together. Here goes: My family of my mom, dad, two older sisters (15-16 at the time) and me (about 5) went up to Dafuskie Island. Now at this point no one in my family played golf but apparently Arnold Palmer was on the island at the same time as us. My sister, dad, and I took a golf cart, that all the houses had, and rode around the golf course. Earlier someone had mentioned something about like "I wonder if we will see Tiger Woods out her" jokingly. After we drove the course I expressed, with apparently a tremendous about of relief "Boy I'm glad we didn't see any Wood Tigers out here." Now 13 years later both my father and I are avid golfers and everyone still gets a good laugh out of that one.

Northern Michigan at Elk Ridge golf club there were 2 massive bull elk fighting on the 14th green. The green was unputtable

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Came face to face with what looked like (best as I could tell) a monitor lizard while playing in Guam. We both ran away from that encounter as fast as we could. Also had many run-ins with feral hogs there.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

My wife and I were on an Alaska cruise. We took a ferry to Haines and played Valley of the Eagles. The club pro warned us there's a salmon run was in progress and veiwing local wild life would be perfect while playing...Haaa. First thing I saw was bear scat! Big ole steaming pile. Next hole there were eagles atleast twenty of them over head. Many of these eagles had salmon which they would occasionally drop on the fairways. Flopping salmon on the fairways was a free meal for "local" wild life. Alaskan brown bears,foxes.racoons were all over the place. We nervously walked around them. That was the quickest eighteen I ever played.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Pretty picture, Lakeview National in Two Harbors Minnesota. Deer on the women's tees. But in Becker Mn, a more populated area, I was very surprised to see a baby fox sleeping in the bunker.

Taylormade M6 9*
Taylormade RBZ Tour 15*
Ping G410 Driving 2 iron
Adams A7 5-PW
Taylormade Milled Grind 2  52/56/60
Odyssey Versa #7

While practicing on the course a couple weeks back, I was putting and when I picked my ball out of the cup there was a fox on the green with me crouched down like a puppy wanting to play. I walked towards him and he trotted off when I got inside 10 feet. I was told by another member that that fox wants you to toss him a ball that he will chase.

Played in a mini tour event where one of the par 3 holes was surrounded by a bunker and had a creek that ran in front of the hole up to the bunker. We get the whole and there is an official there that said the bunker is deemed "mandatory ground under repair" and that free relief would be given at the drop area...

Look up there are 3 alligators in the bunker sunning....and a couple more you could see in the water. Craziest s*** I've ever seen.

Pace of play on that green was very fast lol.

SIM 2 Max - Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 Stiff
3W - SIM 15 - Ventus Red Stiff
Srixon ZX 3 19 - Evenflow Riptide 80 Stiff
4-6 Srixon ZX5 Nippon 105 S

7-PW Srixon ZX7  Nippon T120 S
50, 55, 60 Vokey SM8 Nippon 105 S
Scotty Cameron 2.7

[quote name='MinnesotaGolfer' timestamp='1342741495' post='5311854']
Pretty picture, Lakeview National in Two Harbors Minnesota. Deer on the women's tees. But in Becker Mn, a more populated area, I was very surprised to see a baby fox sleeping in the bunker.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Forget the name of the course on the east side of Duluth, but last fall when playing there ran into a grey wolf 25 yds in front of me. I had a cart and a bunch of clubs, so I wasnt scared, just watched the animal. BEAUTIFUL creature.

God Bless
Jer[attachment=1269188:IMG-20110904-00050.jpg]

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

My home course in South Australia has no shortage of wildlife occupying the fairways during rounds. The rabbits, crows and duck get no attention at all. The flocks of Ibis come in during winter to feed in the wet land and during summer it is flocks of Galahs eating the fairway grass roots. Then we get the more unusual animals, kangaroos and [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29148243@N07/3597051095/"] echidnas[/url]. The tiger snakes are a problem as the breeding and skin shedding season these beasties are very anti social to people. It is very hard to concentrate on a putt with an irritable snake coiled up on the edge of the green no matter how far away. You can't hear them moving and once that thought pops in your head, you try and concentrate on making a putt!

I was playing at a course in my home town at the start of the year when my buddy starts to tell me a story about the same hole a week ago. One of the guys makes birdie and yells "Peacock! No really, there's a peacock over there." Sure enough, there's a peacock walking between the back of the green and the next tee. You're probably thinking, interesting don't see that too often.

Well, even more so when it's in Canada about an hour from Toronto. Apparently someone had it as a pet and it had escaped and was running a muck all over the neighbourhood. I'll probably think about that every time I'm on that green now.

Titleist TSi3 9* - Tensei Blue 60 TX
Titleist TS2 15* - D+ LTD 70X
Titleist TSi2 21* - Tensei White 80X

Srixon Z785 4i, Miura MC-501 5-PW - X100
SM7 50F, 54S, SM8 58M
Spider Tour

[quote name='GatorNate11' timestamp='1320538605' post='3764149']
Actually, my strangest encounter was with a squirrel in Myrtle Beach. Not really sure what type of squirrel it was, odd looking thing. The thing that was odd was how tame it was. Walked right up to me and just stood there like "any food?" then just slowly walked away. Nothing like the squirrel's here, things are crazy.
[/quote]

Likely a racoon squirrel. They will come right up to you begging for food because many people think they're cute (they are) and feed them. They'll take the food right out of your hand. They are partial to granola bars.

• 3 weeks later...

playing with 2 friends at great gorge golf course in nj 2 years ago,

there was a deer and a turkey on one of the greens.

turkey was just walking around and the deer was following it, and turkey didnt seem to mind.

as we got on the green, they noticed us and slowly walked away together.

turkeydeer.jpg

Great shot!

Ping I20 10.5* and 16.5*
Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, plus 1/2"
Cleveland 52* and 58*
Coutour Tri-Fit, Gullane, 350g
Bridgestone B-330S

[quote name='slicktry' timestamp='1342990313' post='5329420']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Forget the name of the course on the east side of Duluth, but last fall when playing there ran into a grey wolf 25 yds in front of me. I had a cart and a bunch of clubs, so I wasnt scared, just watched the animal. BEAUTIFUL creature.

God Bless
Jer[attachment=1269188:IMG-20110904-00050.jpg]
[/quote]

Too good. Keep these coming!

Ping I20 10.5* and 16.5*
Mizuno MP-52 4-PW, plus 1/2"
Cleveland 52* and 58*
Coutour Tri-Fit, Gullane, 350g
Bridgestone B-330S

As I re-read this thread (which has really become amazing with the stories and pics - thanks for sharing!) it occurred to me, some of the photos are calendar worthy.

Perhaps someone at the Wrx might consider compiling them sans the background logo into a Calendar and selling them?

I LOVE the image of the wolf on the fairway. Amazing to say the least.

Think about it - there are all sorts of Golf related calendars out there. I have never seen one that was a compilation of wildlife with beautiful courses in the background.

The proceeds could be donated to the SPCA or some other worthy animal charity.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I work at a course in Vermont and I have seen deer, turkey, and bears. Last year we had a mother and her cub in the woods near the 17th tee and down farther in the woods off the fairway. This year we have seen a bear on a few of our holes. Deer are common, you will occasionally seem them on hole 12 because we have a nice apple tree they seem to love. They will occasionally run through our driving range. I was mowing the 4th green one day and I notice a fawn and doe about 100 yards away and I stopped mowing just to take in the moment. Early in the morning, no one on the course yet, fairways still covered in dew and these two deer were just wandering. They actually started walking and then jogging towards me but were scared off as a big truck came barreling down the road close by. It was pretty cool.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1320453682' post='3760893']
Ok so Im 10-11 years old on vacation with the fam to Disney. Playing golf with my dad and brother and I'm walking over to yet another horrible tee shot next to a small stream that ran the length of the hole. There was a slight knoll and then down to the waters edge which was shrouded in high grass at this particular part of the hole. Well at the time, my favorite part of golf was finding balls in water hazards, woods whatever so i thought I'd keep walking over and see how many orange jerry pate specials were rinsed and waiting for me when the high grass starting [i]moving. [/i]before I could move this 26 foot alligator ran down the bank and into the water making a huge splash. :scare2: OK, it was probably more like 7 feet but it was a freaking alligator and it was no more than 10 feet away from me and im from Ohio! I ran over to my dad who heard the splash, leaving my clubs behind, and told him what happened. He said "bullsh*&" and would NOT believe me despite the fact that i REFUSED to go back and get my clubs, was shaking uncontrollably and was whiter than the socks i sported that likely rose to 3/4 the way to my knees. After we were done we were sitting outside having lunch and my dad sees the guy from the pro shop and asks about it with total disbelief. The guys like "Oh sure, they are all over out there along the water. They won;t bother you if you dont bother them" and i just wondered "well wasnt i technically bothering that bastxxx? i mean he was sunning it up out there and here i come, knee high socks, a bad golf swing and a hankering for some free spaldings and he had to move for me" i was convinced, maybe I am STILL convinced, that i was just [i]this close [/i]to a horrible death that day. If you dont believe me, just ask my therapist. So, all you fellas with cute little deer stories, take that ya pansies! :drinks:
[/quote]

They will bother you. There are multiple stories of gators taking the arms off golfers reaching for golf balls... one of them happened in Fripp Island, SC. Be very careful around gators, and remember they are a lot faster and more agile than they look.