2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

I enjoy playing Ping Eye2's but would never collect them, or save them to sell hoping to turn a profit. Last week I did however pick up older Hogan Apex blades that are in good shape when someone was selling them cheap ($25 for Apex PC set + Cleveland 588 SW). Put SW in the bag (bent it to 58*), and hit Hogans ok at the range...but not sweet enough to put the Eye 2s out of the bag. Might become a mancave item

[quote name='Golf Ball Wacker Guy' timestamp='1408915688' post='9999113']
started playing with Eye 2's 22 years ago at the age of 10. My dad and I got ours together. I had Eye 2's and he had Eye 2+. In high school mine were stolen. I played with a set of Cleveland's and TM's afterwards with nowhere near the success I ever had with my EYe 2's. I had a boss a while back (before I discovered Golfwrx) that was a guy that has buy the best of everything. Well he bought a set of 1-L to take on his honeymoon where he was to be playing golf. He got back and never touched them again. Somehow managed to lose the 9 iron though on the trip. I bought them off of him for $50. When my dad Passed away in 2007 I got his Eye 2+ and started playing them and gave the others to my cousin who was trying out for HS team and was outgrowing his jr. set. I gamed the +'s for a few years but the shafts started giving out on me due to my dad keeping them in the garage with pools chems. Since then I've gamed i15's, s56, i5, s57. I would take a few of the Eye 2+ still in one piece out with me here and I still hit them better than anything listed above. I currently have all the heads pulled b/c I can't find a shaft I like with them that were like the ZZ Lite. Any suggestions on replacement shafts? I've played PX 6.0 and 6,5's in most of my other irons.

On another note. A local clubmaker/friend gave me a tumbler with various types of media. I tried tumbling the headss. They look better but think they can be better. I haven't been able to find any info on HOW TO tumble. How long? Wet or Dry? Etc.... Has anyone seen or know of how long to do so? They are pretty scratch free just a bit aged in the finish. So there isn't much prep work required.

I would really love to get these things back in play on a regular basis
[/quote]
[quote name='wolfpack' timestamp='1408929235' post='10000289']
Get the CFS shaft in X to put in your eye 2's. You can get pulls all day on the Ebay for like 70 bucks. My clubfitter swears that the ZZlite and KBS tours have a ton in common profile wise, but I've never had KBS's in a set of eye 2's.
[/quote]

Agree on the CFS X flex. They are a soft X and very playable.

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/PING-CFS-EXTRA-STIFF-X-STIFF-FLEX-STEEL-IRON-SHAFTS-PULLS-7-PC-355-116352-/121415688556?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item1c44f0616c"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/PING-CFS-EXTRA-STIFF-X-STIFF-FLEX-STEEL-IRON-SHAFTS-PULLS-7-PC-355-116352-/121415688556?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item1c44f0616c[/url]

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Golf Ball Wacker Guy' timestamp='1408915688' post='9999113']
started playing with Eye 2's 22 years ago at the age of 10. My dad and I got ours together. I had Eye 2's and he had Eye 2+. In high school mine were stolen. I played with a set of Cleveland's and TM's afterwards with nowhere near the success I ever had with my EYe 2's. I had a boss a while back (before I discovered Golfwrx) that was a guy that has buy the best of everything. Well he bought a set of 1-L to take on his honeymoon where he was to be playing golf. He got back and never touched them again. Somehow managed to lose the 9 iron though on the trip. I bought them off of him for $50. When my dad Passed away in 2007 I got his Eye 2+ and started playing them and gave the others to my cousin who was trying out for HS team and was outgrowing his jr. set. I gamed the +'s for a few years but the shafts started giving out on me due to my dad keeping them in the garage with pools chems. Since then I've gamed i15's, s56, i5, s57. I would take a few of the Eye 2+ still in one piece out with me here and I still hit them better than anything listed above. I currently have all the heads pulled b/c I can't find a shaft I like with them that were like the ZZ Lite. Any suggestions on replacement shafts? I've played PX 6.0 and 6,5's in most of my other irons.

On another note. A local clubmaker/friend gave me a tumbler with various types of media. I tried tumbling the headss. They look better but think they can be better. I haven't been able to find any info on HOW TO tumble. How long? Wet or Dry? Etc.... Has anyone seen or know of how long to do so? They are pretty scratch free just a bit aged in the finish. So there isn't much prep work required.

I would really love to get these things back in play on a regular basis
[/quote]

When I was looking to replace a damaged ZZ Lite the guy at Golfsmith told me the standard was TT TT Lite steel. Very easy to find new and used (pulled).

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

That is one line I will have until I die. At the moment I probably have 6 sets of becus, a set of 2+, and regular eye 2's ...... The classic of all classic for me personally.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Accra Z55 LS
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Callaway Epic 19* Accra FX1000
Srixon Z565 4-AW
Vokey Indigo 54
Vokey Indigo 60
Camico Newport 2

I own a set of matching sn 2-pw non plus. I strengthened lofts a couple degrees so they have been, in fact, turned into + no +. I have since added 1 iron and sw. Still looking for lob wedge. All have zz lite. It is sacreligious to even think about reshafting. The best shaft head combo ever made. You will only degrade the feel/performance. I got lamkin crossline cord grips. Im going to play them until 2024 when the square groove rule comes into effect for amateurs.

R9 Supertri 9.5 Black Tie 7M3 70S
R11ti 3w Grafalloy Blue 75S
Mizuno MP33 2I C-Taper Lite 105R HSx1
Adams Idea Tech V4 Xcaliber 80S
Mizuno MP4 C-Taper Lite 110S
Cobra Tour Trusty 50* KBS 610 120S
Cleveland CG14 54.12* TTDG S200 129
Flanigan Bilt Model 64 34"
Ping Hoofer C-4

[quote name='william9780' timestamp='1409885947' post='10067709']
I own a set of matching sn 2-pw non plus. I strengthened lofts a couple degrees so they have been, in fact, turned into + no +. I have since added 1 iron and sw. Still looking for lob wedge. All have zz lite. It is sacreligious to even think about reshafting. The best shaft head combo ever made. You will only degrade the feel/performance. I got lamkin crossline cord grips. Im going to play them until 2024 when the square groove rule comes into effect for amateurs.
[/quote]

It's only as sacrilegious as strengthening the lofts...

Ive had a few people yell at me for strengthening lofts on mine. I wanted to keep playing them but also wanted the advantage of modern lofts. Played them this way all year and so far playability hasnt changed, but im getting an extra 5-10 yds roughly per iron. If a 16 degree 1 iron gives people fits then they should try a 14 degree!

R9 Supertri 9.5 Black Tie 7M3 70S
R11ti 3w Grafalloy Blue 75S
Mizuno MP33 2I C-Taper Lite 105R HSx1
Adams Idea Tech V4 Xcaliber 80S
Mizuno MP4 C-Taper Lite 110S
Cobra Tour Trusty 50* KBS 610 120S
Cleveland CG14 54.12* TTDG S200 129
Flanigan Bilt Model 64 34"
Ping Hoofer C-4

There was a guy at the range a few days ago saw I had Eye 2s and struck up a conversation. Long story short he had Eye 2 white dots 2-SW good shape in his van and offered to sell them at a great price. The serial numbers are stamped on the 3-W, and have no +, zz lite shafts. The 2i and SW are Eye 2+ with KT shafts, added later I guess. I took them and offered them to my brother, but he said he has no time. Since I play Eye 2 orange dots these are too upright for me. Might post them up on the BST or Ebay to see if anyone wants them.

[quote name='william9780' timestamp='1409931182' post='10070155']
Ive had a few people yell at me for strengthening lofts on mine. I wanted to keep playing them but also wanted the advantage of modern lofts. Played them this way all year and so far playability hasnt changed, but im getting an extra 5-10 yds roughly per iron. If a 16 degree 1 iron gives people fits then they should try a 14 degree!
[/quote]

Did you do anything to the bounce and did it alter the offset of the irons at all?

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1409964816' post='10072989']
There was a guy at the range a few days ago saw I had Eye 2s and struck up a conversation. Long story short he had Eye 2 white dots 2-SW good shape in his van and offered to sell them at a great price. The serial numbers are stamped on the 3-W, and have no +, zz lite shafts. The 2i and SW are Eye 2+ with KT shafts, added later I guess. I took them and offered them to my brother, but he said he has no time. Since I play Eye 2 orange dots these are too upright for me. Might post them up on the BST or Ebay to see if anyone wants them.
[/quote]

I've got zz lite shafts on the black dot Ping Eye2+ irons I bought new when they were introduced (in the olden times, 1983?). They worked ok for me at the time ( I was about a 6 then), I was pretty grooved, but frankly even new I wished I had not discarded my forged Walter Hagen musclebacks which provided much better feel. But I gave up golf completely in 1994 to pursue other interests (motorcycle touring) so no harm no foul. Time has moved on, the last motorcycle has been sold, I need physical activity, so a couple of weeks ago I picked my tools of ignorance and headed to the range. Whatever swing technique I once had was were long gone in the mists of time but I found I really enjoyed swinging a club again.

The first 3-4 buckets I found it tough to get the ball very high in the air with any club, 4 iron, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, even wedges were all low. And short. Yeah, my club head speed is probably off by 20 mph anyway, totally screwed up technique and the stiffness from not using any of the golf muscles for 20+ years is surely part of it. But those zz lite shafts are like swinging a bridge abutment, I could generate no flex at all. And the Ping Eye2+'s themselves are leaden lumps, transmitting no feel to my hands, making it really tough to figure out which part of the club face I'm using. So instead, I looked at the ball marks on the club faces and found, surprise, it was mostly kinda in the middle, encouraging. Maybe a few on the top, and bottom. Some heel shots in there too. But nothing transmitted by the club faces. I'm now working on my 2nd dozen buckets of balls and have decided it's time to put the whole kit out to pasture.

Maybe I'll regret it but back to forged I go, but today's technology, not those old Walter Hagen's. Tried a few swings today with a Titleist AP2, a Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, and a Callaway Apex, all with TT stiff shafts. Incredible difference in feel and performance. No issues at all getting any of them airborne even with the stiffs, and fantastic feedback from all on where I'm making contact. I'm going to get fitted next week. Titleist AP2s.

[i]The first 3-4 buckets I found it tough to get the ball very high in the air with any club, 4 iron, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, even wedges were all low. And short. Yeah, my club head speed is probably off by 20 mph anyway, totally screwed up technique and the stiffness from not using any of the golf muscles for 20+ years is surely part of it. But those zz lite shafts are like swinging a bridge abutment, I could generate no flex at all. And the Ping Eye2+'s themselves are leaden lumps, transmitting no feel to my hands, making it really tough to figure out which part of the club face I'm using[/i]

Funny!!!! Judging the feel of clubs hitting 4 buckets of crappy range balls and then calling Eye 2s "leaden lumps". COMEDY GOLD!

Ping Eye 2s with a modern ball feel very good, this from someone (me) who also plays forged Srixons.

PING Rapture *10 driver

Cleveland Halo 5 wood

Titleist 755 Irons
PING Forged wedges
Cleveland Huntington 3

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1410024510' post='10075491']
[i]The first 3-4 buckets I found it tough to get the ball very high in the air with any club, 4 iron, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, even wedges were all low. And short. Yeah, my club head speed is probably off by 20 mph anyway, totally screwed up technique and the stiffness from not using any of the golf muscles for 20+ years is surely part of it. But those zz lite shafts are like swinging a bridge abutment, I could generate no flex at all. And the Ping Eye2+'s themselves are leaden lumps, transmitting no feel to my hands, making it really tough to figure out which part of the club face I'm using[/i]

Funny!!!! Judging the feel of clubs hitting 4 buckets of crappy range balls and then calling Eye 2s "leaden lumps". COMEDY GOLD!

Ping Eye 2s with a modern ball feel very good, this from someone (me) who also plays forged Srixons.
[/quote]

Take 20 years off then tell me what you feel. I bet they're terrific with the modern balls...
for a player with a well-grooved technique. As a learning club? Not so much.

ZZ lite shafts? Better have swing speed. Lots and lots of it.

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1405277530' post='9692231']
[quote name='gents15' timestamp='1405220350' post='9689621']
I tried gaming ping eye 2 with same LLL as my current set +1/2, 2 upright - and while they are decent, there is no reason to still be gaming these clubs. Current irons are made so much better. You're telling me Ping has spent the last 30 years producing new irons every year and have failed to do so the whole time? Please...stop drinking the eye2 koolaid and buy yourself some new irons. That being side if anyone wants some +1/2 inch green dots please PM me.
[/quote]

I guess anyone driving a '64 Mustang or '69 Charger shouldn't be....since todays' cars are so much better too.......
[/quote]

Driving an old car is downright dangerous unless you rebuild them thoroughly. Fact of the matter is, there are a lot of parts to any car regardless of age and they have limitations that we are not necessarily aware of. Old parts have those limitations plus the burden of age deterioration especially if they are moving and flexing parts.

Old clubs, on the other hand, were used only to strike the ball and the worst breakage you can expect from them would be the shaft, grips and their assembly all of which can be changed or redone and you can end up with the original specs or even improved playability fit for your particular swing needs. Back in the early nineties some Japanese formed a golf club that exclusively used golf clubs from the sixties or fifties rebuilt with new shafts. I heard they were pretty good but not much different from the old players we often saw still playing their old unchanged clubs. Their performance was generally on par with current players of that day, allowing for the ravages of age. Apparently, skill level at being able to hit your targets was the final dividing line.

These days, I'm that old player playing old clubs.

Shambles

I made the mistake of selling my red Eye 2's years ago. Purchased them back (well, obviously not the same ones . . . well maybe) on eBay for $88. Play i10s now but man do I hit the Eye 2's well. Often have though about putting them in the bag but never have as of yet. This post however will inspire me to hit them tomorrow morning during a planned marathon range session.

[quote name='Hit em good' timestamp='1328051174' post='4187311']
Just wondering if anyone games Ping Eye 2's.

Or, do they just not compare, [u]performance wise[/u], to today's clubs? (I know the lofts are different, no comments needed there).

I know the technology is not the same, blah, blah, blah,.... but the bottom line question is: Do they perform as well as today's clubs?
[/quote]

I've played Eye 2's for last few months. Seriously the best clubs I've ever hit. Simply amazing. Younger guys in high school/college at my course hit one of my irons and they are amazed. And the fitting chart is great. I've stocked 3 sets from Ebay, I really don't think I can play anything else. I bought a set of BStone J40s, guy at my club let me test them, they felt great but the Eye 2's are amazing.
30 year old technology! Do a wrist to floor measurement.

I love bringing mine out every couple of weeks. The best Grips leather take the sting out of the zz lites........

[attachment=2409305:cave7.jpg]
[attachment=2409321:ping 80s 013.JPG]

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1410050378' post='10077305']
I love bringing mine out every couple of weeks. The best Grips leather take the sting out of the zz lites........

[attachment=2409305:cave7.jpg]
[/quote]

Very nice headcovers, Mr. Rat

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='Joe9977' timestamp='1410050256' post='10077297']
PS: I found a local guy selling a set of Eye 2's. here's what I have:
Only hit maybe once, diamond grips like new, 3-SW, black dot, red ZZ Lite shaft bands, also say EZ Lite. Never seen these before, anyone have an idea of their worth?
[/quote]

New sets come up on ebay fairly regularly and the value varies. Try searching out "sold" auctions. There are various different types of Eye2's so that matters relative to value, with the older variants the most valuable. If you can get them for less than $300 I'd say you were doing pretty good.

BTW, for those looking for shafts similar to the ZZ Lite's. I picked up some True Temper Dynamic Lite's in X flex and some guy here said if you soft step them they very similar to the ZZ's. You can find these shafts on ebay or drop me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 1 month later...

I started playing them regularly in May or June and my experience has been similar. In fact, I just won our season ending tournament up here in the cold climes.

But I'm having a bit of a crisis. I'm hitting these dead on, right at the target. But Because of the weak lofts, I'm regularly hitting 1 and sometimes 2 clubs more than players of similar size and ability. I know there's no comment section on the card to say what a weak-a** girlie man I am, but it bothers me for some reason to be hitting eight irons from 130. I don't know what I'm asking, really, just an observation from someone new to these (just out of college in early 80s and didn't have money to play for a decade or so I missed them).

[quote name='Joe9977' timestamp='1410049661' post='10077231']
I've played Eye 2's for last few months. Seriously the best clubs I've ever hit. Simply amazing. Younger guys in high school/college at my course hit one of my irons and they are amazed. And the fitting chart is great. I've stocked 3 sets from Ebay, I really don't think I can play anything else. I bought a set of BStone J40s, guy at my club let me test them, they felt great but the Eye 2's are amazing.
[/quote][quote name='Joe9977' timestamp='1410049661' post='10077231']
[/quote]

[quote name='Prut' timestamp='1412724476' post='10251923']
I started playing them regularly in May or June and my experience has been similar. In fact, I just won our season ending tournament up here in the cold climes.

But I'm having a bit of a crisis. I'm hitting these dead on, right at the target. But Because of the weak lofts, I'm regularly hitting 1 and sometimes 2 clubs more than players of similar size and ability. I know there's no comment section on the card to say what a weak-a** girlie man I am, but it bothers me for some reason to be hitting eight irons from 130. I don't know what I'm asking, really, just an observation from someone new to these (just out of college in early 80s and didn't have money to play for a decade or so I missed them).

[quote name='Joe9977' timestamp='1410049661' post='10077231']
[/quote][quote name='Joe9977' timestamp='1410049661' post='10077231']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ego and pride have contributed more to strokes lost to par than the poorest-fit, illest-feeling instrument one can call a golf club.

[quote name='Prut' timestamp='1412724476' post='10251923']

[/quote]

One player commented about how he hits longer than me with each club. On a par 3 160y I took a 7i he took a 8i. After we both hit on the green...I told him one shot for fun switching clubs, he hit my Eye 2 and I hit his TM RBZ. He was dead straight 15y short and I was 10y over the green. He was surprised how much weaker they were made, but said the Eye2s did feel better than his new $1000 set.