Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Finally warm enough around here to play tomorrow. Putting the Eye2's in bag and planning to have a great day!

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

Ness, I've been doing a lot of research and my first attempt will be +1 1/2 with 3/8th increments. I'm trying to keep it out of the e swing weight category and there is just no easy way to do it with these eye 2 heads. Looking at 80 gr xflex graphite for a test 6 iron.

I can handle the heavy, I just don't want to for the years to come. I know you know a lot about this and would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

"Patience without understanding"

One more question for the board. Has anyone ever weighed the eye 2 copper heads? I've seen a chart for the stainless, but saw some comments that the becus were lighter.

I'll be pulling some heads tonight so I will weigh them and let you know. I'm going to shaft up with DG AMT's and 5 iron finished length will be 38.75"

Titleist TSr3 9ΒΊ AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15ΒΊ AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19ΒΊ AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12ΒΊ D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12ΒΊ D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

One more question for the board. Has anyone ever weighed the eye 2 copper heads? I've seen a chart for the stainless, but saw some comments that the becus were lighter.

I'll be pulling some heads tonight so I will weigh them and let you know. I'm going to shaft up with DG AMT's and 5 iron finished length will be 38.75"

Β 

Nice! Thank you. And let us know how the amt acts with the eye 2s.

At 50 years of age , I returned to golf 3 months ago after a 20 year hiatus.......sadly , I wasn't much of a golfer 20 years ago , and the layoff hasn't helped. I bought a set of Callaway N416 for my comeback , and have been steadily improving - one day I might break 100 ! . I just took delivery of a barely used set of Eye 2 + BeCu , 3 - SW orange dot , matching numbers , with original ZZ lites .

Β 

I find it easier to play the Callys , and struggle a bit with the Eye 2's . I have noticed a marked improvement in my game after practicing with the Eye 2's , then gaming the Callys . I'm hoping that improvement with one will lead to improvement with the other , and vice versa - or am I better to focus on one set ?

At 50 years of age , I returned to golf 3 months ago after a 20 year hiatus.......sadly , I wasn't much of a golfer 20 years ago , and the layoff hasn't helped. I bought a set of Callaway N416 for my comeback , and have been steadily improving - one day I might break 100 ! . I just took delivery of a barely used set of Eye 2 + BeCu , 3 - SW orange dot , matching numbers , with original ZZ lites .

Β 

I find it easy to play the Callys , and struggle a bit with the Eye 2's . I have noticed a marked improvement in my game after practicing with the Eye 2's , then gaming the Callys . I'm hoping that improvement with one will lead to improvement with the other , and vice versa - or am I better to focus on one set ?

Stick to the Eye2s. You'll come to appreciate them. Good as anything out there. When I think I want to switch to SGI irons I find myself always trying to lift the ball for some odd reason.

Β 

I find it easy to play the Callys , and struggle a bit with the Eye 2's . I have noticed a marked improvement in my game after practicing with the Eye 2's , then gaming the Callys . I'm hoping that improvement with one will lead to improvement with the other , and vice versa - or am I better to focus on one set ?

Β 

One reason you may be struggling with the Pings is that the orange dot denotes a 2* flat lie. Those are meant for a shorter golfer/ golfer with looong arms (generally speaking) or for a very flat swinger. Check your divots with the Pings- if they are toe deep, the orange are too flat for your swing and you will have a tendency to push your iron shots. Your Pings also have a lighter swingweight and the one flex ZZ Lite shaft is pretty stiff.

Β 

Sounds like the Cally's are a better fit, as you find them "easy to play."

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*Β  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4WΒ  Β Β Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4HΒ  Β Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GWΒ  Β UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SWΒ  Β  Cleveland Action Lite SΒ  Β  Β 

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*Β  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A AustinΒ Β 35"

For those still playing Eye 2s, do you use the stock PW, use another brand wedge or perhaps even play the 9 iron as the PW?

Play the stock as a gap wedge. That's what's great about the eye 2s. When I play with today's equipment it leaves a huge gap in my scoring iron spacing.

For those still playing Eye 2s, do you use the stock PW, use another brand wedge or perhaps even play the 9 iron as the PW?

Play the stock as a gap wedge. That's what's great about the eye 2s. When I play with today's equipment it leaves a huge gap in my scoring iron spacing.

I second the above. Love the old school lofts!

Β 

yep,

the PW is basically 51* and the SW is just below 58* and I use a 55* trusty rusty wedge. it's heavier by a decent amount, but I use it as the Sand Wedge and the SW (called Ham 'n' Cheese) as a lob wedge... I have learned to use that Ham 'n' Cheese for almost everything 50 yards in.

Β 

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11Β°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I'm a couple months into some refinished becus and really dig the way the copper is still shiny on the sole and sweet spot but browsing everywhere else. This started as a retro experiment and is turning into a very

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

the ping eye2 wedges are great once you get used to them

Β 

Agreed. Last yr, I played a Eye 2 PW as a GW and a SW as a weak sand/lob. Despite the high bounce on the SW and LW they're easy to lay open. I have a friend who used to play a 2-9 set with a Cleveland 588 49*. I was curious if anyone did something like that.

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x/KSig

the ping eye2 wedges are great once you get used to them

Β 

Agreed. Last yr, I played a Eye 2 PW as a GW and a SW as a weak sand/lob. Despite the high bounce on the SW and LW they're easy to lay open. I have a friend who used to play a 2-9 set with a Cleveland 588 49*. I was curious if anyone did something like that.

I always had a problem with the high bounce on the sw and lw. And I never trusted "opening up the club" with my swing style. Added a mizuno 58 with 4 bounce and fixed that problem instantly. Now I have high/low bounce options all around the green. And I tried for year's to make the lw work off of a hard pan. I was just too inconsistent with it.

Β 

Β 

Finally had my becus refinished. Turned out wonderfull. But with putting new shafts in that are longer I have to use the black dots. White are too upright for my swing now and going to the bay. Pretty bummed because they turned out beautiful

Β 

Β 

Finally had my becus refinished. Turned out wonderfull. But with putting new shafts in that are longer I have to use the black dots. White are too upright for my swing now and going to the bay. Pretty bummed because they turned out beautiful

Β 

Thought that the becu's were toxic and no one will refinish? Where did you have these done?

Love ping eye 2's- lots in my collection. Have an eye 2 lob wedge in my bag since 1990!

There is one man in America that I am aware of that does it. And your experience will be second to none with his craftsmanship, time, effort, and cost. I'm still blown away by it, he only works with older pings. It was one of those things that you wish you could have more business deals like this in your life. His name is Ron and he is on ebay. Type in ping restoration and you'll find him. A lot of wrx's member can vouch for him.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Thought that the becu's were toxic and no one will refinish? Where did you have these done?

Love ping eye 2's- lots in my collection. Have an eye 2 lob wedge in my bag since 1990!

Β 

I didn't even realize these becu's I bought were "others pending". I couldn't even see that area in the pictures. Now I'm looking for "others pending" wedges. These puppies are hard to find!

Β 

It's nice to get some fun surprises once in a while with used golf clubs. Usually it's the other end of fun, and we've all had too many of those surprises over the years.

Β 

I didn't even realize these becu's I bought were "others pending". I couldn't even see that area in the pictures. Now I'm looking for "others pending" wedges. These puppies are hard to find!

Β 

It's nice to get some fun surprises once in a while with used golf clubs. Usually it's the other end of fun, and we've all had too many of those surprises over the years.

Β 

Likewise. Stumbled across a partial set of Eye 2's this summer. Partial in that there wasn't a 4 and 5 iron. And they were black dot (I'm a green or white depending). Discovered after I scooped them up that they were the "Pat #, Others Pend" version. The true square grooves version. For $28, beggars can be choosers. Been looking for "Others Pend" fills since. Contacting Ping with the serial #, was told they have the NZ + shafts in them. Predecessor to the ZZ Lites. FWIW.

Β 

Went looking for a SW to round out the set. Saw a local CL listing for a Ping E2 SW for $10. As long as it wasn't flatter than black dot, figured I'd buy it. At the purchase meeting saw that it was a Eye 2+ SW white dot. Bought it. Only to discover upon closer examination later, it was a + no +.

Β 

Yeah, it's good to be lucky on occasion. Nice BeCu's BTW.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I also realized after the purchase that my becu set is eye2+, 1 - sw, all the same regnr, all with orange labelled KT-shafts

BUT the 7 iron, coming with a red labelled JZ-shaft (the engraving of the (same) number also looks slightly different from the others

Β 

what is the difference in these shafts please and how can I see, how stiff they are?

I read here somewhere that the eye2+ have different lofts, how does that compare to eye2 standard

Β 

and with eye2+ there are also 2 variants - what do I have: plus or no plus, that is the question ...

Β 

gentlemen, please enlighten a lost european

Β 

rgds

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Β 

I'm sorry to say this... there are more than two variants of Eye2.

There are the original Eye2 with V grooves

then the Eye2 with square grooves

then the Eye2 with square grooves and rounded groove edges. these are the sets that caused the problem with the ruling bodies.

then they released the Eye2 "plus-no-plus" model, which had the square grooves of the Eye2 with the lofts and slightly different head shape of the Eye2+

there's an Eye2 Dot set, which have the post-agreement square grooves that are slightly farther apart, but have the Eye2 head shape and lofts

And finally, the Eye2+ set, which like the Eye2 Dot set have post-agreement square grooves that are slightly farther apart, but have slightly stronger lofts and a slightly different head shape than the Eye2 model

Β 

lofts of Eye2 and Eye2+, 1 iron thru LW:

Β 

Eye2: 16.0 / 18.5 / 21.5 / 25.0 / 28.5 / 32.0 / 36.0 / 40.0 / 45.0 / 50.5 / 57.0 / 61.0

Eye2+: 16.0 / 18.5 / 21.2 / 24.5 / 27.7 / 31.2 / 35.0 / 39.5 / 44.0 / 48.5 / 53.0 / 58.0

Β 

The easiest way to see the head shape difference is to look at the short irons or wedges of an Eye2+ 8 iron thru wedge, and compare to an Eye2 8 iron thru wedge. The Eye2 have a flatter sole from leading edge to trailing edge, the Eye2+ have a sole that's rounded from leading edge to trailing edge.

Β 

I believe there are other slight differences, but I've never compared them side by side myself, so don't wish to speak to those possible differences.

Β 

At ironfinder.com, you can see pictures of Ping irons, you could look at both the Eye2 and Eye2+ and see the difference. The other variations like plus no plus, eye2 dot, etc, are a bit harder to find online, but you can sometimes discover information on the internet with some searching efforts.

The Ever Changing Bag!Β  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods:Β King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:Β  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 SΒ 

Irons grab bag:Β  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:Β  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or-Β Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or-Β Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:Β  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors