2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

I picked up a set of eye2+ yesterday. 2-w orange dot with zz-lite shafts. I already have the SW and 1 iron. I've mostly played blades through the years with several brief attempts with others, most recently original big bertha irons. I used to have orange dot eye2s with zz-lite shafts that I stupidly got rid of. I don't get to play much anymore and my iron swing has been pretty suspect. I've hit lots of toe shots and turned into a picker when I used to be more of a digger. Anyway, I took the eye2+ to the range and hit a small bucket and 90% of my shots had a nice medium depth divot. I hit them all out of the center to a touch heal side. They have me encouraged. Even if it only works for a day I only play once a month anymore so maybe I'll get lucky and pick the right day of the month.

Crazy question, I have a set of blue dots standard length. I love the clubs, but feel they might be a little short (I've done fittings and they always recommend plus 1/2"). I have a 3-W set, would it be crazy to take the shaft out of the 3 and put it into the 4, 4 into the 5, down the line? It would essentially be a plus 1/2" set and as I don't use the 3 iron I could take the W shaft Andy put it in there, making a franken punch out club. Has anyone tried this? Unintended consequences?

You would be essentially hard-stepping your irons, which will make them play a bit more stiff. If you have the swing for it, OK. Also, the lie angle will change...they wouldn't necessarily be blue dot anymore. Ping fits using lie angle and wrist to floor. I'm not certain what color they would end up. There are lots of people who know that system better.

Soft stepping 1 X, not hard stepping. The heavier 4 iron head installed on the longer 3 iron shaft (and so on through the set) will make it flex just a bit more. I doubt you'd feel the difference though.

Dave is right. I didn't read the post correctly.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

• 4 weeks later...

Sold a set and purchased another one so I'm in between clubs and used my Eye2's over the weekend. I shot 4 over par 76 which is my best score this year. I usually hover between 78-85. I clubbed up and swung easy and only missed three greens. Just purchased S55's (again!) from a great member here and now I'm struggling with which clubs to leave in the bag.

The only advantage the newer clubs have on the Eye2's is the leading edge in my experience. It will be a real test to see which set stays.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

What a name for a golf club Eye, really????? Where did they come up with that one?!

The shape of the cavity is made to look like an eye.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Picked up any Eye 2 sand wedge the other day.

Love it so far.

Agree. I play 4-PW in my normal set (TM R11's), but have the Ping Eye 2+ SW in the bag.

The easiest club for me to get the ball out the sand and on the green with. Excellent sand wedge.

Just threw my Eye 2+ 5-LW back in the bag... regardless of whether I stick with the irons, I don't foresee the SW and LW leaving anytime soon.

Just threw my Eye 2+ 5-LW back in the bag... regardless of whether I stick with the irons, I don't foresee the SW and LW leaving anytime soon.

Funny isn't it? There's another thread about how people will NEVER buy used wedges, yet some of us will always play 30 year old wedges. My brother who was convinced he couldn't hit a Ping (until he was fitted to G30s) tried my +no+ at the range Sunday, and was blown away by how much more he liked it than his new wedges.

Live and learn I guess.

Picked up any Eye 2 sand wedge the other day.

Love it so far.

Agree. I play 4-PW in my normal set (TM R11's), but have the Ping Eye 2+ SW in the bag.

The easiest club for me to get the ball out the sand and on the green with. Excellent sand wedge.

Totally agree with that, I have an eye 2 sw in the bag if there's alot of sand at the course.

Funny isn't it? There's another thread about how people will NEVER buy used wedges, yet some of us will always play 30 year old wedges.

These old Ping Eye's are almost indestructible. The grooves on my 25+ year old wedge are pretty much as per new.

As many have said, it is about the golfer more than the clubs. If a golfer favors them and hits them well, those are the clubs he/she can hit better than any others.

I have a set of AP1 716 irons. They hit well, rocket off the clubface. But my 1984 V-grooved Ping Eye 2s are so much more friendly to hit. I can't describe the feeling I have looking at the large offset and ridiculous toe. It's like a pompadour hairdo in the '50s. But, alas, the distance is lacking. I'm still looking for irons that give me the same friendly, confident feel as the Eye 2s.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

As many have said, it is about the golfer more than the clubs. If a golfer favors them and hits them well, those are the clubs he/she can hit better than any others.

I have a set of AP1 716 irons. They hit well, rocket off the clubface. But my 1984 V-grooved Ping Eye 2s are so much more friendly to hit. I can't describe the feeling I have looking at the large offset and ridiculous toe. It's like a pompadour hairdo in the '50s. But, alas, the distance is lacking. I'm still looking for irons that give me the same friendly, confident feel as the Eye 2s.

I have two sets of actual square groove Eye 2 irons (1985) and two sets of V groove Eye 2 irons(1982 & 1990). I hit the square groove set with modern Dynamic Gold shafts longer than the ZZ-Lite set. And a test 6 iron with a KBS Tour V shaft goes even farther. Surprising but Eye 2 head benefit from modern shafts.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

I have two sets of actual square groove Eye 2 irons (1985) and two sets of V groove Eye 2 irons(1982 & 1990). I hit the square groove set with modern Dynamic Gold shafts longer than the ZZ-Lite set. And a test 6 iron with a KBS Tour V shaft goes even farther. Surprising but Eye 2 head benefit from modern shafts.

Good info, thank you. Looks like the Eye2 addiction continues....

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Seriously considering gaming my BeCu eye2 + this weekend. They look so big compared to the miura's.

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

I played PingEye 2+ for almost 20 years through junior high, high school, college, and beyond. Wish I had never sold them!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]WITB:[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Titleist 983E driver[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Callaway Steelhead 3W[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 962 DCI 3-LW[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Ping Anser 3 MgBr putter[/size][/font][/color]

I played PingEye 2+ for almost 20 years through junior high, high school, college, and beyond. Wish I had never sold them!

I see you list the 962's as your witb, I also have the 962's and eye 2's, just wondering how you compare the 2 sets?

Hard for me to compare--I played a set of Mizuno forged blades between those sets. I do like the sole design on the 962s. They kind of have that dual-grind look like the Eye2 wedges.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]WITB:[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Titleist 983E driver[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Callaway Steelhead 3W[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist 962 DCI 3-LW[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Ping Anser 3 MgBr putter[/size][/font][/color]

• 1 month later...

I too just sent the Ping G series to the bench and went back to the Eye 2s. They're like an old friend, always there when you need them.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

As much as I love my three sets of Eye 2s, the feeling of hitting my Hogan Apex Edge and Apex Edge Pro forged irons is so addictive I can't tell you...or maybe you know. Both sets, compared to the blade Apex's, are GI clubs, but certainly don't feel like it.

I recently compared the Apex Edge irons to the 710 AP2s (both forged) and the Hogans were not only better feeling, but longer (which is no surprise, since AP2 aren't known for length).

Anyway, when I hit it sweet with the Eye 2s, the feeling is pure, too, almost feel nothing. Best 1-irons I ever hit were with the Eye 2s....and the last 1-irons I ever hit!! :)

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Already posted and buried somewhere in the previous pages... I shafted up a set of Eye2+ Blue Dot 4-W with some KBS Tour stiff +0.5" pulls. Ended up +0.25" with a decent swing weight of D1.

I still pretty much pull the same club number with minimal loss of distance despite weaker lofts.

The KBS matches well with these classic reducing spin and trajectory just enough. I don't hit the odd fairway flyer that goes 20-30 yds more (read some of the newer jacked clubs).

The best part is the longer irons in the Eye2+ are actually useful. It plays like a set of irons that has coverage vs the new $hit ?

Don't be afraid to reshaft them and experiment.

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

• 2 weeks later...

Ok interesting story...

The girl I am dating seems interested in the game and I told her I'd give her lessons. Went to the range Saturday and they had a hodge-podge of all clubs to use since she didn't have any. I cherry picked through the bag and found an Eye2 green dot 6 iron along with some other clubs. She took a break so I decided to take a few swings. Holy mother of....! I was hitting my own irons well that day too, but the Eye2 was just amazing. Even when I missed it I got the same result. Green dot is perfect for me as I was hitting it dead center. I think I found a set on ebay and am contemplating them. Green dot matching set so I may have gotten lucky.

Hello fellow gamers, I prefer vintage forged blades like my Haig ultras, and Hogan bounce soles, however lately the Ping bug has bitten me. None of the newer models but the older vintage models. On the other post I posted pics of my new Karsten I set I purchased on the Bay. Now I want to rebuild a set of the legendary Eye 2's. Unfortunately I do not have the famous square groove models or the modified U groove I have read about. The set of clubs I found are the earlier "PAT Pending" models. I believe mine are the Eye two lites as they do not have the rarer upside down "Karsten Phoenix AZ stamping. The heads on these clubs look almost brand new, the shafts unfortunately are in bad shape and missing the shaft labels, I think they are ZZ lites but not certain. I have a set of newer ping AWT 2.0 stiff steel shafts I got off the bay. What is your honest opinion on re shafting these heads. I believe these eye two heads are a little smaller than the other models and a little lighter. I can purchase a set of Ping KT shafts, but I have read ping had an issue with those shafts breaking, I don't have a swing weight scale and just wondering how different these shafts might be. I couldn't find a good deal or decent shape set of the standard ZZ lites. I believe the KT shafts were put in the later first edition Ping Zing heads. I found some beautiful ping style reproduction grips on ebay similar to the original dyla grips. These grips are by tacki mac and will make the rebuilds look more authentic. I havn't had an issue spinning the older model karsten and ping cat eye irons they hold the greens fairly well. Just how much more backspin do the square grooves impart versus the V groove?

I remember hitting a freinds eye 2's on a par 3 and spinning the ball off the green, of course that was with a real Titleist balata ball back in the day, but that was a long time ago! I am a real high ball hitter so not sure the V groove versus the square groove will be that much of an issue. Anyone have any experience hitting V groove eye 2's? I am sure with these heads I will have to go down one club on distances as I know the lots will be stronger on these old heads.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gaming ping Eye 2's right now. The first set of irons I purchased actually, so loving them so far. Best feel of the few sets I've used. Cool to see a lot of people modding and customizing these in this forum. One thing I am interested in is altering swing weight. I see a lot of people are hot melting them to D2 to make them similar to newer irons. Can anyone tell me more about this process? How much would it cost to do a whole set? Do you send them off, or do most local shops do this? Also I kind of like a litter lighter swing weight feel. Would it be better to go like D0 to keep it on the other side? Or should I even bother messing with swing weight and keep them authentic? Thanks everybody.

Oh and if I plan on using an Arccos 360 set, should I factor that into changing swing weight?

Built a great set of Bu Eye 2's last winter and enjoyed them. I completed a nice build recently, mint i3+ Blades shafted with a set of Loomis Golf EFP 95's. I got lucky and found a set of heavy heads from a Tour Pro, D4 with no added weight! Super excited they turned out amazing. Not the easiest build but my Club Tech is outrageously good. Total experiment down to the MCC +4 Regulars. I tweaked the lofts a bit to bring the ball flight down. It's funny, I get more excitement out of a 20yr old set of irons than I do a modern stock setup. Go figure...BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Built a great set of Bu Eye 2's last winter and enjoyed them. I completed a nice build recently, mint i3+ Blades shafted with a set of Loomis Golf EFP 95's. I got lucky and found a set of heavy heads from a Tour Pro, D4 with no added weight! Super excited they turned out amazing. Not the easiest build but my Club Tech is outrageously good. Total experiment down to the MCC +4 Regulars. I tweaked the lofts a bit to bring the ball flight down. It's funny, I get more excitement out of a 20yr old set of irons than I do a modern stock setup. Go figure...BB

Well just LOOK at the new clubs. They are complicated and ugly, IMO. I am not convinced at all that the technology is much better, if at all. It is NOT at my handicap.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*