Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

I just got a set from a friend. Grooves are still fairly nice. Have ZZ lite stiff shafts in them. So are these a pretty stiff shaft? Not exactly sure of SS, but no I'm on the upper end. I'm 6'1 and playing a red dot. Haven't been fitted yet. Does that seem about right? Hoping to go in and get fitted soon (I live in Phoenix).

And also why is everyone so nuts about the wedges? What's so special about an old wedge? I mean spin is mainly what you want with a wedge, right, and grooves are only gonna wear. You'd think there'd be plenty of alternatives in newer wedges to outperform these old wedges.

I just got a set from a friend. Grooves are still fairly nice. Have ZZ lite stiff shafts in them. So are these a pretty stiff shaft? Not exactly sure of SS, but no I'm on the upper end. I'm 6'1 and playing a red dot. Haven't been fitted yet. Does that seem about right? Hoping to go in and get fitted soon (I live in Phoenix).

And also why is everyone so nuts about the wedges? What's so special about an old wedge? I mean spin is mainly what you want with a wedge, right, and grooves are only gonna wear. You'd think there'd be plenty of alternatives in newer wedges to outperform these old wedges.

I'm 6'1"+ and was fitted into red eyes, but only because I tend to hover over the ball a bit more than usual. Since a swing a posture change, I have become more upright and am a Black dot player. You should as well...

as for the shafts, they're a pretty stiff shaft, between a stiff and extra, FIRM is what I think they called it back in the day... the grooves in Eye 2s were originally square-deep and sharp, from a strong cast metal, so it takes eons for the original grooves to wear out or go soft.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

Most people will tell you that the grooves on the Eye2 wedges will be sharper after 30 years than some of the newer wedges out there after 6 months. They are a different animal.

if you are 6 foot you might get fit into black or blue dot. but your height and your swing shape will determine that. the guys in scottsdale are as good as they get with fitting... Look up Kenny Lee Puckett on this board. He is in Phoenix, and is a top 100 fitter with Ping. Spoken to him several times on here, good as gold.

Best of Luck, and welcome to the world of Ping if you haven't been here before.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Thanks for the responses guys. Didn't know that about the grooves and now more excited that I picked them up. I don't want to be a gear ho. Just play with what I got and gradually get better. I do think I should be more of a blue dot type player. I'm more an upright player to begin with, but in the processing of Tathata swing overhaul and will get fitted once complete. The flatter lie could be why I'm not hitting the 4 and 5 too well :fool: . It looks like from the website that I have just enough enough leeway to get to a blue dot too. Has anybody had a bad experience with these being bent, i.e. a broken club?

And thanks for the welcome @Geaux Gators. Now its off to perusing this whole thread to find out about coca-cola and other modifications I can do with these guys.

The eye 2 sand wedge gets you out of the trap with just about any worthless swing. First day I had mine I looked forward to being in the trap just because I could finally hit out of one with confidence.

When my dad passed away (20 years ago this April 14th) I inherited his Eye 2 SW. It is still in my bag and not just for the sentimental value.

Ping S59 irons 5-PW
Ping bronze J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

Play it again sports has 1 iron through LW for 150. They would only be for nostalgia. They are white dot. Would like them to go with my iSi-s that I have. Soon will get them on display.

Commission Monday is next week. Rut roh Raggy

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever removed graphite shafts from their Ping irons here? Could you explain how hard/easy it was?

I've removed numerous Ping heads from their steel shaft over the years and the steel borders on a nightmare - you pretty much have to get the torch out and discolor the metal of the Eye2 or any Ping iron for that matter to hear that "pop" and have the epoxy release.

I would imagine the graphite might be easier...or more of a nightmare???? I don't know....if someone who's done it could give me an idea it would be greatly appreciated.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have a couple sets of Ping Eye 2s. I sold my original set a year after they came out--I hated them, the offset, the pompadour toe, the thickness. Now they don't seem so weird, only I've been spoiled by forged. Can't go back now.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Has anyone ever removed graphite shafts from their Ping irons here? Could you explain how hard/easy it was?

I've removed numerous Ping heads from their steel shaft over the years and the steel borders on a nightmare - you pretty much have to get the torch out and discolor the metal of the Eye2 or any Ping iron for that matter to hear that "pop" and have the epoxy release.

I would imagine the graphite might be easier...or more of a nightmare???? I don't know....if someone who's done it could give me an idea it would be greatly appreciated.

They are an equal pain in the a** and will most likely render the graphite shafts completely toasted due to the amount of heat needed to break them loose. Definitely requires a torch. I don't know what kind of epoxy they used but that sh!t is ridiculous strong!!

They are an equal pain in the a** and will most likely render the graphite shafts completely toasted due to the amount of heat needed to break them loose. Definitely requires a torch. I don't know what kind of epoxy they used but that sh!t is ridiculous strong!!

Dang.

Does the shaft "shred" and get all stuck in the iron head(s) so that you have to drill all the remaining shaft stuck in the club head(s)?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Dang.

Does the shaft "shred" and get all stuck in the iron head(s) so that you have to drill all the remaining shaft stuck in the club head(s)?

I didn't have any real shaft debris left in the heads of the ones I did, just some fraying on the shaft tips. I put the torch on the head until I got them to that "pop" point, then I stuck it in my shaft puller and pulled the heads off with no twisting. The shafts were worthless at that point, but at least I didn't have to completely drill them out. I probably wouldn't do it again. I don't think they're meant to come apart :D

Dang.

I didn't have any real shaft debris left in the heads of the ones I did, just some fraying on the shaft tips. I put the torch on the head until I got them to that "pop" point, then I stuck it in my shaft puller and pulled the heads off with no twisting. The shafts were worthless at that point, but at least I didn't have to completely drill them out. I probably wouldn't do it again. I don't think they're meant to come apart :D

Well that settles it then. I have to sell the G2s I got from Goodwill. I wanted to keep them/play them desperately but I just can't play graphite - they are far too light for me and what I'm used to. Dangit.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I have owned my set of 3-LW BeCu Ping Eye 2s since 1995. in 1996, I had G. Loomis Tour graphite shafts installed in the 3-PW -- and have gamed them since. I am no great golfer -- and essentially took 10 years off -- playing only the occasional round (1 or 2 every couple of years).

Last year a joined a club - and committed to getting my game back. Three weeks ago I got a fitting, and tried numerous clubs before settling on Ping Gs and the Glide 2 wedges. I love my Eye 2s, but they are no match for the tech of today. I will be ebay'ing my clubs when the new ones arrive.

They were great clubs, and have been all over the world -- including 3 British Open Courses (Birkdale, Lytham and Liverpool), and host of top courses around the US. I hope they find a good home

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

I have owned my set of 3-LW BeCu Ping Eye 2s since 1995. in 1996, I had G. Loomis Tour graphite shafts installed in the 3-PW -- and have gamed them since. I am no great golfer -- and essentially took 10 years off -- playing only the occasional round (1 or 2 every couple of years).

Last year a joined a club - and committed to getting my game back. Three weeks ago I got a fitting, and tried numerous clubs before settling on Ping Gs and the Glide 2 wedges. I love my Eye 2s, but they are no match for the tech of today. I will be ebay'ing my clubs when the new ones arrive.

They were great clubs, and have been all over the world -- including 3 British Open Courses (Birkdale, Lytham and Liverpool), and host of top courses around the US. I hope they find a good home

Keep them. The small amount of $ you receive for them may not mean as much as looking at them over the coming years thinking about the great trips they have been on.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

Keep them. The small amount of $ you receive for them may not mean as much as looking at them over the coming years thinking about the great trips they have been on.

Agree. 22 years of your golfing history right there. Keep em.

Solid advice right there.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I just bought a set of these irons, (3-W, orange dot - 2 deg flat, stock ZZ lite shafts) for $350 AUD.

Played my first round with them yesterday and shot 11 over off the stick (my handicap is 8.6) with 2 wipes. They are pretty good. They are slightly more forgiving than my Wilson FG62 blades but have slightly less feedback/feel. I don't know if they are the same distance though because I only hit them 20 times during the round (I mostly use driver / hybrid / wedges at my home course) and need more time to dial in the distances (was quite windy yesterday so difficult to judge how long they hit). The ball flies quite high, same flight as my Wilsons.

What I found: easy to hit, offset design a bit weird to look at address but the shots all come off nicely, induces a natural draw to all shots (I usually hit a straight iron shot) and so I had to aim 2-5 metres to the right to accommodate this. I did not try to shape any shots yesterday as i was not stuck behind a tree or anything. Will have to wait and see how playable they can be.

I found the stock shafts to be nice and have a similar feel to DG R300 which I have on my Wilsons. Good news that I don't need to reshaft them.

My aim is to drop my HC down to 5 using these PING Eye 2's - to prove that these antiques are just as good as modern irons.

I paid too much ($100) but I just bought another set 3-SW of Eye2's, green dot (I'm tall). I called Ping and they were made in Oct 1984, the first version of the Eye 2. V grooves. The PW is 50.5 degrees and the SW is 57.5!! The 9-iron is 45. Dayum.

I've been practicing hard and testing out a few chosen clubs, then Frankensteining a bag together from various manufacturers, all forged. I don't like this feeling of confusion and lack of consistency in the bag. Are the clubs working together or arguing all the time? So I took the Ping PW in the backyard and starting hitting some half-swings and it felt good. They are exactly what I was fitted for when I got my first set of Pings in 1985--2 degrees upright, +3/4" length. And they feel good.

I could be getting Pingafied all over again.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

• 4 weeks later...

Crazy question, I have a set of blue dots standard length. I love the clubs, but feel they might be a little short (I've done fittings and they always recommend plus 1/2"). I have a 3-W set, would it be crazy to take the shaft out of the 3 and put it into the 4, 4 into the 5, down the line? It would essentially be a plus 1/2" set and as I don't use the 3 iron I could take the W shaft Andy put it in there, making a franken punch out club. Has anyone tried this? Unintended consequences?

Crazy question, I have a set of blue dots standard length. I love the clubs, but feel they might be a little short (I've done fittings and they always recommend plus 1/2"). I have a 3-W set, would it be crazy to take the shaft out of the 3 and put it into the 4, 4 into the 5, down the line? It would essentially be a plus 1/2" set and as I don't use the 3 iron I could take the W shaft Andy put it in there, making a franken punch out club. Has anyone tried this? Unintended consequences?

You would be essentially hard-stepping your irons, which will make them play a bit more stiff. If you have the swing for it, OK. Also, the lie angle will change...they wouldn't necessarily be blue dot anymore. Ping fits using lie angle and wrist to floor. I'm not certain what color they would end up. There are lots of people who know that system better.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

You would be essentially hard-stepping your irons, which will make them play a bit more stiff. If you have the swing for it, OK. Also, the lie angle will change...they wouldn't necessarily be blue dot anymore. Ping fits using lie angle and wrist to floor. I'm not certain what color they would end up. There are lots of people who know that system better.

Soft stepping 1 X, not hard stepping. The heavier 4 iron head installed on the longer 3 iron shaft (and so on through the set) will make it flex just a bit more. I doubt you'd feel the difference though.

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

Finally got my paws on my first set of becu eye 2 irons, and I have a set of s300s coming Friday. My Sunday project (if it rains like the weather says it is going too) will be to install the shafts. I finally have my white whale

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I played Eye2+ with S300 from 1993 to about 2004 when I replaced them with i3+ Blades...then replaced those with Mizuno MP60's a few years later. I couldn't get rid of them so they've been in the garage ever since. Yesterday I played with my son and my dad (after the Mothers Day festivities) and my dad wanted to try them out. I tried hitting them a few times during the round but the offset was throwing me off. They still felt solid but don't compare to my MP 60's.

Played with an older gentleman who joined my friend and I on the first tee this weekend who had the Eye 2s in his bag, along with a G10 driver and some TEE fairways. He was shorter than us but my word was he dead straight. He remarked on our gear a few times but said he learned to stop chasing a few extra yards with new sticks. I wish I was that smart. He was throwing darts all day with his Eye 2s.