Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

You guys should check out the set tigernick has on ebay right now. I would never pay 400 for some eye 2 irons but those are amazing looking. Makes me think about trying to refurbish mine.

Does Ping still refurbish these?

Yes

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

You guys should check out the set tigernick has on ebay right now. I would never pay 400 for some eye 2 irons but those are amazing looking. Makes me think about trying to refurbish mine.

If you are brave it will cost you about a quarter of the price to do it yourself. Ping simply puts them in a tumbler with ceramic media. You can buy a tumbler and the media from Harbor Freight for about $50-$60. Ping is charging $35 per club to refinish them the last time I checked. A pretty penny once you equate shipping costs into the price.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

If you are brave it will cost you about a quarter of the price to do it yourself. Ping simply puts them in a tumbler with ceramic media. You can buy a tumbler and the media from Harbor Freight for about $50-$60. Ping is charging $35 per club to refinish them the last time I checked. A pretty penny once you equate shipping costs into the price.

Seriously?

That's how I clean the brass for reloading bullets, so I already have a tumbler. They use water, soap, and lemishine as well or just the ceramic?

Yup. Get the medium sized ceramic media ($16.99) from Harbor Freight and throw the heads in there with it. No soap required. It can be time consuming especially if you only have a single drum tumbler, because you should only throw one in a drum at a time and it takes around 2 hours per head. The only problem you might run into is some of the paint fill coming off, but you can get any golf shop to fill that in if you run into that.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Yup. Get the medium sized ceramic media ($16.99) from Harbor Freight and throw the heads in there with it. No soap required. It can be time consuming especially if you only have a single drum tumbler, because you should only throw one in a drum at a time and it takes around 2 hours per head. The only problem you might run into is some of the paint fill coming off, but you can get any golf shop to fill that in if you run into that.

Used to the time as it takes 3 hours for a load of brass; usually set my alarm and go do something else while I wait. As for the paintfill there is a big thread here for doing that so no worries.

Wonder if this method would mess up the becu heads?

Just wondering if anyone games Ping Eye 2's.

Or, do they just not compare, performance wise, to today's clubs? (I know the lofts are different, no comments needed there).

I know the technology is not the same, blah, blah, blah,.... but the bottom line question is: Do they perform as well as today's clubs?

Still put the #1 iron into play when the need arises, can knock it 265 with a slight draw. Pretty effective when windy in comparison to the high flying hybrid.

Ping G2 Neutral, 8.5 deg Grafalloy Blue Tour X tipped 1"
Callaway Big Bertha Strong Three 3+ TT EI-70 Tour X, tipped 1"
Power Play 5000 Rescue #2 18 deg TTDG X100
Wilson Staff Pi5 3 to PW TTDG X100
Nike Tour Raw Forged 56 deg bent to 53.5 deg TTDG X100
Wilson Staff Lob Wedge Copper Face 60 deg 0 deg bounce TTDG Lite X300
All have Lamkin Crossline Full-cord grips with 4 tapes
Odyssey 2-Ball DFX 34.5"
Taylor Made TP5X

Used to the time as it takes 3 hours for a load of brass; usually set my alarm and go do something else while I wait. As for the paintfill there is a big thread here for doing that so no worries.

Wonder if this method would mess up the becu heads?

Shhhhh. You don't want the Ping council of elders to hear that you were even thinking about refinishing the aged Patina finish of a set of BeCu's. They may put you on trial for heresy and summon the ghost of Karsten Solheim to come light the fire that burns you at the stake.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Joe, it's great fun. :)

First Eye2 irons had V grooves. They are distinguishable by the patent pending stamp on the back of the top line being upside down (pic added below)

Next came the first square groove irons. The edges of the grooves were squared off, and were causing major ball shred issues. These are not the famous square groove irons that caused the ruckus. Sometimes called the U Groove set.

Now we get to the irons that caused all the fun. Ping radiused the edge of the grooves to solve the shred problem. These are the ones usually referred to as the Square Groove Eye2s. They have two patents relevant, compared to one patent for the U Groove set.

No confusion yet. The confusion comes in with the next couple sets....

Eye2+ and Eye2 irons are slightly different, aside from the obvious loft differences. You can really see it in the short irons and wedges, the soles are ground differently on the Eye2+. The Eye2+ were also made with the grooves slightly farther apart than the previous Eye2, as part of the settlement between Ping and the USGA.

The + was added to the cavity as a distinguishing mark.

Now to the confusing sets:

Plus no Plus (or +no+). These have the Eye2 groove configuration, but have the slightly different heads/soles of the Eye2+, as well as the stronger lofts. If you see a set or club that looks like Eye2+ but doesn't have the + in the cavity, you are looking at a +no+ set or club.

Eye2 Dot. These have a dot in the cavity to identify them. They have Eye2 heads/soles/lofts, but have the newer, slightly farther apart grooves of the Eye2+.

The name of the +no+ set is due to their looking like Eye2+, but having no + in the cavity, and lacking the other + characteristics. So, Eye2+ that aren't quite deserving of the plus? :)

The reason folks are so excited about +no+ sets is they have the groove configuration that went away, slightly closer grooves resulting in about one more groove on the club face, but have the stronger lofts and newer head shape and sole grind.

That should about cover it. :)

The pics I mentioned. From ironfinder.com, the Eye2 v groove, Eye2 square groove, and eye2+. Note the orientation of the stamps on the back of the topline in the first two pics:

289_A.jpg094706A.jpg114350A.jpg

Which one is the 8 iron (middle pic) just curious because I think a set I'm picking up on Friday morning is that model (got graphite shafts, which has got my very excited)

Which one is the 8 iron (middle pic) just curious because I think a set I'm picking up on Friday morning is that model (got graphite shafts, which has got my very excited)

That's the Eye2 with the square grooves that caused all the ruckus.

A repetitious caveat: with the obvious exception of the V groove set, all Eye2 and Eye2+ have square grooves. The Eye2+ grooves are just slightly farther apart.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

A repetitious caveat: with the obvious exception of the V groove set, all Eye2 and Eye2+ have square grooves. The Eye2+ grooves are just slightly farther apart.

Now I am excited, not sure yet until I pick them up on Friday but looking at the pictures they look the same markings. I'll post some pictures in the near future when I get hold of them

I keep eye2's as my back up set. Strangely, I like them more than the g25's I picked up and am now letting go. Just a smaller head that frames the ball better. However, the set I have is orange dot and I really need black or blue if anybody wants to swap. BTW, I much prefer the original eye2's over the +'s. Could never get on with the grinds and prefer the og lofts. I don't feel like I'll ever be with out the eye2's. Others come and go but these stick around.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Played my set again today and really enjoyed them :)

Just have to club up one in the long irons and they are every bit as good as anything out there now I reckon. Really forgiving.

My set runs 1- P & S. I leave the 1 iron out. 2 is in there for low shots into wind and out of trees. And I think the Eye 2+ Sand Wedge is the best Sand Wedge there is.

Think I'll have to keep it & the 2 iron in my regular playing set.

Ping%20Eye2%20set%20002_zpsqv3k0es9.jpg

Hit mine again today in comp. (But left the woods indoors and played my R9 driver)

2 rounds in a week and both pretty solid. 34 Stableford points today. Not too shabby at all. Enough to see my handicap fall a couple decimal points to a new low.

Love the Eye 2+ :)

Amazing to see this thread still going. Played a round at the lake this year with my Eye2s and still marvel at how good they are 30-some years after they were made.

Wouldn't touch the BeCu though. Apparently the beryllium has extremely toxic dust. Soaking them in coke is about all I'd do to a set myself

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

my grandfather bought a set of eye-2's brand new after getting fitted by a ping rep. loved them so much he bought an identical, back-up set.

--- he is still using his original; the second set is still in the box. (he has 2-LW in both sets)

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

+no+ Green dots. Found a +no+ sand wedge recently, would like to find a lefty +no+ L wedge...those seem to be few and far between!!

ExTrumpet: Your avatar. Lovely. Story?

Sorry, no story...I just thought it was funny!

When life gives you lemons get a boob job!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

Amazing to see this thread still going. Played a round at the lake this year with my Eye2s and still marvel at how good they are 30-some years after they were made.

Wouldn't touch the BeCu though. Apparently the beryllium has extremely toxic dust. Soaking them in coke is about all I'd do to a set myself

Your baby could use them as teething toy without any health concerns.

The clubs are safe to use but you would not want to grind becu and breath the dust day after day.

The main safety issue with becu was from the gasses from casting of the steel, an issue for golf club manufactures but not for other industries that cast becu as they have the proper venting and safety equipment.

I have a matching set of Ping Eye 2 irons, 6-9, PW, SW. Two patent numbers, square grooves (si?)

I also have other non-matching clubs, 1-5 and another SW. The 1 and SW have no serial numbers and say "patent pending," so they are U grooves (yes?).

Questions:

- Why no serial numbers on the 1 and SW, the two patent pending clubs?

- What is the tiny number to the left of the word Ping?

- How do you identify a +no+?

Sorry if these questions are answered elsewhere.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

I have a set of BeCu, really love the solid feel. I am still adjusting to the traditional lofts. Are they legal in tournament play?

Depends on the level of tournament. If you're talking about USGA events, or R&A events like the amateur championships, no. If you're playing a tournament that has not adopted the groove rule as a condition of competition, they're fine.

Ping agreed to make these non conforming to the new groove rule, FWIW

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Now I am excited, not sure yet until I pick them up on Friday but looking at the pictures they look the same markings. I'll post some pictures in the near future when I get hold of them

Well I picked them up this morning and they are in decent condition considering I only paid £35 for them. There's no 7 iron but I've found one on eBay so it's 5-sw (there's 3&4 iron but I don't use long irons anymore)

However, they had the fattest grips I've ever held. I swear these were big foots old sticks! And they felt longer than standard, and when I removed the grips I was right as I found welded metal extensions to the graphite. I fact this made the job much easier as my pipe cutter did the job very quickly. In fact removing all that tape ( about 6 layers) took my ages. But I've really enjoyed myself today doing all this, just need the grips putting but I'm doing that tomorrow....hands are sore!!

Well I picked them up this morning and they are in decent condition considering I only paid £35 for them. There's no 7 iron but I've found one on eBay so it's 5-sw (there's 3&4 iron but I don't use long irons anymore)

However, they had the fattest grips I've ever held. I swear these were big foots old sticks! And they felt longer than standard, and when I removed the grips I was right as I found welded metal extensions to the graphite. I fact this made the job much easier as my pipe cutter did the job very quickly. In fact removing all that tape ( about 6 layers) took my ages. But I've really enjoyed myself today doing all this, just need the grips putting but I'm doing that tomorrow....hands are sore!!

What brand is the shaft? How do they play with the graphite or have you got to hit them yet? I've just recently had graphite put in mine but am off shore another week then I'll get to try mine!

What brand is the shaft? How do they play with the graphite or have you got to hit them yet? I've just recently had graphite put in mine but am off shore another week then I'll get to try mine!

Yep I've hit them, just hit 50 at the range with the mega jumbo grips and inch extension! Still felt lovely and the graphite shafts made the strike feel softer. They are aldila regular graphite which suits me great now my swing is shorter and slower these days......ball popped up nicely. But I can't wait to hit them with a standard length and normal sized grips.

It never ceases to amaze what one has to deal with when messing with old clubs. It seems like everything I get is a project.

And yeah, it is fun! I'm not surprised you enjoyed working on those. I would have as well. They look sweet!

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

It never ceases to amaze what one has to deal with when messing with old clubs. It seems like everything I get is a project.

And yeah, it is fun! I'm not surprised you enjoyed working on those. I would have as well. They look sweet!

I love tinkering, always have! I still like reading the old stories on past great players who messed around with their clubs to get them feeling right.....mainly faldo

I love tinkering, always have! I still like reading the old stories on past great players who messed around with their clubs to get them feeling right.....mainly faldo

The one I remember the most with stories of that type was Lee Trevino. Seems he was always winning with a club found in a barrel or an attic. Any time I'm playing somewhere I haven't been before, I always ask if they keep a club barrel someplace.

Anyone can walk into a store and drop a fortune on the latest and greatest. It really hurts when they don't work out. I'd much rather do what we do to come up with my equipment. I just have more confidence in a club that I've personally worked on.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

The one I remember the most with stories of that type was Lee Trevino. Seems he was always winning with a club found in a barrel or an attic. Any time I'm playing somewhere I haven't been before, I always ask if they keep a club barrel someplace.

Anyone can walk into a store and drop a fortune on the latest and greatest. It really hurts when they don't work out. I'd much rather do what we do to come up with my equipment. I just have more confidence in a club that I've personally worked on.

My favourite story was faldo as a boy, wanted to know exactly where the groves marks where on the bottom of his sand wedge.....so from his parents front yard (flags), he hit shots over his terrace house into the back garden!! Just can see his parents face looking through the front living room window!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just found these today. Sorry, pic heavy post. I've read about half of the thread. I think these are the + no + but I'm not quite sure. They have the patent numbers and the w is close to the toe instead of where the numbered irons are. Although the 8i has the +. It's the only one. Can someone who knows more confirm this? Also is there any way to tell what shafts are in these. The 4i and 7i i believe are different shafts. There are some traces of true temper logo and the step downs have different frequencies than the rest. Here is a pic of what's left of the only shaft band.

And the rest of the pics