Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Bought Ping Eye 2 irons in 1991 off the rack. They were longer than normal by an inch or even more. Went to a reputable club fitter to have them reshafted years later to better fit my swing. Picked them up, jumped on an air plane to play a crazy fun and very difficult course in NE Ohio, Thunderhill, anyone recognize? with good friend and father and was looking forward to a great golf week. Getting off the plane I had to mail something in the airport mailroom, take a wiz and had a girlfriend dilly dallying. Get to the luggage carousal and my luggage was there but my clubs were gone. Never even hit them with the new shafts that I was so excited to play. Played out of my dad's and friends bag, how lame. All I have left is the 2 iron head. Going to get it reshafted now after reading this thread that goes back to getting started Jan of 12, since it was the one club that I didn't originally get done. Great sticks, great memories.

• 2 weeks later...

The Eye 2's will still be played 50 years from now. Nothing has stood the test of time better.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I bought a set of refurbished Eye 2's for my dad 2 summers ago. He always loved the set, but had sold his years ago. There is a lot of offset with these, and they don't seem to be nearly as forgiving as the newer game improvement irons. Still a classic set though!

Callaway Rogue SZ (Fujikura Pro 63 X)
Titleist 910 Fd 15 (AD-BB TX 7)
Titleist TMB 2i (AD-95 X)
Titleist TMB 3-4i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Titleist 716 MB 5-9i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Vokey SM4 Raw: 46, 54, 60 (KBS C Taper X 130)
Odyssey Black Series 1W

For those of you who can speak to this, which of the Eye 2 models do you find easier to hit, the original Eye 2s or the Eye 2 +'s?

As far as the original Eye 2s, how much do the models with the Karsten facing upside down on the cavity topline vary from the ones that are the other way around?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

For those of you who can speak to this, which of the Eye 2 models do you find easier to hit, the original Eye 2s or the Eye 2 +'s?

As far as the original Eye 2s, how much do the models with the Karsten facing upside down on the cavity topline vary from the ones that are the other way around?

I like the originals best because they are a bit easier to hit. They didn't remake the plus wedges, they did remake the originals. The upside down Karsten is the V groove model. I have an 1982 set and a set made with leftover heads in 1990. The 1990 set is very light C4 to C7, The 1982 set was built with D0 swingweights. It was as heavy as they would go.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

So are the heads themselves heavier - the original Eye 2 from 82 (no +) to later (no +)? Or does the shaft play a role as well?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I had a set of Eye2's that were stolen at a golf tournament in 1993. They were the first set of irons I purchased with my own money. I had just put them back in the bag to replace a set of Titleist irons that I never fell in love with (DCI golds I think). After that I traded in the Titleist's for a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pros that I did fall in love with. Fast forward to 2002 and I fell into a set of BeCu Eye2+s. Had them bent (and sweated out the days after signing the waiver) to black dot, and have had them in the bag ever since. Played in my first tournament in 10+ years last year and had my 2nd best tournament round ever with them in the bag. They probably come out of the bag once a year when I want to see a different look (less offset) looking down, but always find their way back in. Am currently looking at getting a stainless set for my three boys as they grow older as their first "grown-up" set, since they won't get the BeCu's until I am no longer on this Earth.

So are the heads themselves heavier - the original Eye 2 from 82 (no +) to later (no +)? Or does the shaft play a role as well?

The originals have no plus in the cavity they say Pat Pending. The V groove set bought in 1982 was built when they selected a matching set of heads for the shaft. They are standard length microtapers. And yes these heads are heavier. The set built in 1990 was built from whatever heads were are around with conforming grooves. These heads on standard length microtapers swingsweight from C4 to C7. They have a lot of lead tape in the cavity to get them to C9. In both cases the shaft is about 115 grams same as the ZZ lite.

Putter Ping Pal 2F

Did Mark Calcaevechia play the older (no +) Eye 2s or the ones with +?

The originals have no plus in the cavity they say Pat Pending. The V groove set bought in 1982 was built when they selected a matching set of heads for the shaft. They are standard length microtapers. And yes these heads are heavier. The set built in 1990 was built from whatever heads were are around with conforming grooves. These heads on standard length microtapers swingsweight from C4 to C7. They have a lot of lead tape in the cavity to get them to C9. In both cases the shaft is about 115 grams same as the ZZ lite.

I'm not really sure what you mean. :huh:

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

• 2 weeks later...

'Twas battered and scarred,

And the auctioneer thought it

hardly worth his while

To waste his time on the old violin,

but he held it up with a smile.

"What am I bid, good people", he cried,

"Who starts the bidding for me?"

"One dollar, one dollar, Do I hear two?"

"Two dollars, who makes it three?"

"Three dollars once, three dollars twice, going for three,"

But, No,

From the room far back a gray bearded man

Came forward and picked up the bow,

Then wiping the dust from the old violin

And tightening up the strings,

He played a melody, pure and sweet

As sweet as the angel sings.

The music ceased and the auctioneer

With a voice that was quiet and low,

Said "What now am I bid for this old violin?"

As he held it aloft with its' bow.

"One thousand, one thousand, Do I hear two?"

"Two thousand, Who makes it three?"

"Three thousand once, three thousand twice,

Going and gone", said he.

The audience cheered,

But some of them cried,

"We just don't understand."

"What changed its' worth?"

Swift came the reply.

"The Touch of the Masters Hand."

"And many a man with life out of tune

All battered and bruised with hardship

Is auctioned cheap to a thoughtless crowd

Much like that old violin

A mess of pottage, a glass of wine,

A game and he travels on.

He is going once, he is going twice,

He is going and almost gone.

But the Master comes,

And the foolish crowd never can quite understand,

The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought

By the Touch of the Masters' Hand.

"Patience without understanding"

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased a complete set Eye 2+ BECU White Dot, 1-LW with S300 off CL. Haven't confirmed if number match yet. bought site unseen. Had to have my brother pick them up for me as I live about 300 miles away. Got them for $250. Always wanted a becu 1-lw set. It will be GRAVY if numbers match!

Thanks to dan360 for alerting me of the CL listing!

Can someone answer me which model Calchevecia used???

He played Eye 2s for a long time. Wedges were Becu. After about 20 years he switched to I5s for a few years. S55s now??

In an interview he suggested not changing irons too often. But use the latest drivers and fairways that work for you.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

No I know he used Eye2s, I was just wondering which of the two sets he preferred, the pluses (with the +) or the older ones with no +????

I can't believe this is such a secret, difficult question. Am I not asking it right?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

It's not a secret, it's just from long enough ago that few are going to know for sure. It's obvious he was playing one of the Eye2 variants, but getting more specific can be a bit tougher. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Did Mark Calcaevechia play the older (no +) Eye 2s or the ones with +?

I'm not really sure what you mean. :huh:

In 1990 the PGA tour was banning the U and square groove models. So a few sets were made up with lighter heads because the heavyer heads had would yield standard swingweights were long gone.I wasn't the first person to fill the cavity of this set with lead tape to get the swingweights up to a players U or square groove sets.

Mark played both Stainless and copper original Eye 2s.

Putter Ping Pal 2F

Just purchased a complete set Eye 2+ BECU White Dot, 1-LW with S300 off CL. Haven't confirmed if number match yet. bought site unseen. Had to have my brother pick them up for me as I live about 300 miles away. Got them for $250. Always wanted a becu 1-lw set. It will be GRAVY if numbers match!

Turns out the 1-SW are matching #'s, LW added. 1 club short of full Gravy, but I'll take it. Can't wait to put them in play.

Turns out the 1-SW are matching #'s, LW added. 1 club short of full Gravy, but I'll take it. Can't wait to put them in play.

Nice purchase. Hope you enjoy them and the patina on them is nice and dark. I have always preferred the S300's to some of the usual Ping shafts. I guess its because I have always played S300's since a teenager and always been comfortable with them. I just picked up a pair of ISI becu SW's in 52 and 57 degrees, to add to my set, at a great price on eBay. I bet the groves on these ripped the a**' of balata balls in their day!!!!.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Nice purchase. Hope you enjoy them and the patina on them is nice and dark. I have always preferred the S300's to some of the usual Ping shafts. I guess its because I have always played S300's since a teenager and always been comfortable with them. I just picked up a pair of ISI becu SW's in 52 and 57 degrees, to add to my set, at a great price on eBay. I bet the groves on these ripped the a**' of balata balls in their day!!!!.

I had a knock off set of Z Models back in the early 90's and they even shredded balatas to pieces!