2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Been a Ping guy for a long time. Switch back and forth but always seem to come back. I have G5's through the bag to start the year but used to have a set of Eye 2's with the o.g. grooves that are finding their way back to my house but not my bag.

My dad has been playing them for a while and they are now going in my son's bag ... so that makes three generatons of golfers with the same set of clubs. He will get a chance to hit them next week (hoping he hits them well!) and they should find aplace in his bag this season.

drn92

[quote name='drn92' timestamp='1429366772' post='11386619']
Been a Ping guy for a long time. Switch back and forth but always seem to come back. I have G5's through the bag to start the year but used to have a set of Eye 2's with the o.g. grooves that are finding their way back to my house but not my bag.

My dad has been playing them for a while and they are now going in my son's bag ... so that makes three generatons of golfers with the same set of clubs. He will get a chance to hit them next week (hoping he hits them well!) and they should find aplace in his bag this season.

drn92
[/quote]
That's what I've got in mind.....my dad used eye 2s, me same and my lad will certainly use mine in the future but what sticks to learn golf!

[quote name='drn92' timestamp='1429366772' post='11386619']

drn92
[/quote]
That's what I've got in mind.....my dad used eye 2s, me same and my lad will certainly use mine in the future but what sticks to learn golf!

This year I played my first few rounds with Mizuno MP-54 after using the Eye 2+ for 10years. Was offered a $200 on the Eye 2s and sold the set (needed grips). The Mizunos I do like a bit better and I did card my best back 9 ever. Where I found the Pings outperformed Mizunos were on toe hits...way more forgiving.

[quote name='kauffee' timestamp='1429584762' post='11403855']
[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1429583790' post='11403697']
If anyone is ever looking into a different shaft, I'm looking to put some zz lites in my ping eye 2's. I put a modern age shaft in and was very disappointed. Trying to go back to what I know works.
[/quote]

What shaft did you try?
[/quote].Nippon modus 120x. I have a steep digger swing and they ballooned to the clouds on me. Really had my hopes up too. This game is funny, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

"Patience without understanding"

Been gaming a set of Zing 2s for irons for 20 years and have another set of BeCu Eye 2s.... the comments about them being 1) wonderfully durable, and 2) have grooves that don't wear are spot on.

Answered the same question time and tmie again ...." wow are those new?" Um no, I bought them in 1994.

Always look a new stuff like most of us on here every year.... drivers, putters, wedges and woods have changed about every 3 years.... the irons, never found anything better.

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1429588722' post='11404381']
If anyone is ever looking into a different shaft, I'm looking to put some zz lites in my ping eye 2's. I put a modern age shaft in and was very disappointed. Trying to go back to what I know works.
[/quote]

What shaft did you try?
[/quote].Nippon modus 120x. I have a steep digger swing and they ballooned to the clouds on me. Really had my hopes up too. This game is funny, one mans trash is another mans treasure.
[/quote]

What was in the irons originally from PING? I've got a swing speed around 105 and the JZs are what I've always had in mine. Prefer mid-to-low ball flight.

[quote name='jkloster' timestamp='1429591752' post='11404631']
[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1429588722' post='11404381']
[/quote]

What shaft did you try?
[/quote]

What was in the irons originally from PING? I've got a swing speed around 105 and the JZs are what I've always had in mine. Prefer mid-to-low ball flight.
[/quote] Had jz in the becu, but had zz lites in the stainless most of my life. Like people have said on here, that zz/ping combo just feels like a great match.

"Patience without understanding"

[quote name='Rory Mcilwoods' timestamp='1429437207' post='11390627']
Love the BeCu Ping Eye 2's. Shame every time you strike a ball, small particles of BeCu are released that when inhaled can cause cancer.
[/quote]
So Rory, Phil and Tiger ...Nice name...If you grind the heads the dust May cause cancer, Not by hitting the ball.. Nothing like a DOWNER posting on this topic.

[quote name='jkloster' timestamp='1429590864' post='11404571']
Been gaming a set of Zing 2s for irons for 20 years and have another set of BeCu Eye 2s.... the comments about them being 1) wonderfully durable, and 2) have grooves that don't wear are spot on.

Answered the same question time and tmie again ...." wow are those new?" Um no, I bought them in 1994.

Always look a new stuff like most of us on here every year.... drivers, putters, wedges and woods have changed about every 3 years.... the irons, never found anything better.
[/quote]

I bought a set of Zing 2's this winter. Regripped them and played a couple of rounds but had to go back to my i15's. I'll give them another shot when the temps and wind mellow.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

[quote name='bullsfan' timestamp='1428847917' post='11339253']
I went with the Tour V shaft.
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I bought an Eye 2 Pat Pending six iron I will take to the factory tomorrow and have a Tour V put in to test it. If it works I will have my set of Pat Pending Eye 2s reshafted with Tour Vs if the test club works. Why consider going back to a set I bought in 1982 with a gift certificate? Easy they are a lot longer with the same lofts.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

Love the BeCu Ping Eye 2's. Shame every time you strike a ball, small particles of BeCu are released that when inhaled can cause cancer.
[/quote]
??????????????????
You want to be careful what you post. Some people may take you at your word.

[quote name='Oldplayer' timestamp='1429741167' post='11419569']
[/quote]
??????????????????
You want to be careful what you post. Some people may take you at your word.
[/quote]

Well it might drive the price of BeCu down!!! They are harmful for you but not when striking the ball. More in doing work on them. A lot of places won't touch them

• 1 month later...

Even though I normally game my Callaway X Forged irons, I would occasionally switch it up with the Ping Eye 2!

I would even get strange looks from the "parking lot" pros rolling in with their latest and greatest TM irons (usually with jacked up lofts).

Despite the progressive offset on these clubs, as long as you're a decent iron striker, they shouldn't be an issue.

All in all, a great classic iron set that can also crush some egos at the tee box.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='valmario' timestamp='1427852056' post='11257649']
i cant quit mine.... but i want to modernize them, any experiences with C-tapers or steelfibers?
[/quote][quote name='valmario' timestamp='1427852056' post='11257649']
i cant quit mine.... but i want to modernize them, any experiences with C-tapers or steelfibers?
[/quote] I
I have played the eye 2 about 15 year, best all around iron for me that I have played and I have had many sets, excellent combination of feel, forgiveness, and consistent. I have a set with steelfiber i80 regular, a set with nippon 950 gh stiff, a set with nippon 850 regular,a set with g loomis stiff, a set with zz lite and several more, my favorite 2 are the nippon 950gh and the steelfiber they both work great for me. Eye 2 is a great iron that many golfer can play well.

I should stop reading this thread, but I can't stop. I have had a long love affair w/ping eye 2s.

Played on and off for 10+ years. Drove my handicap into single digits.

So solid. Consistent. Playable. My favorite sets....yeah sets:

Ping eye 2 becu micro tapers bought at Nevada Bobs outside of PHX in early 2000s. These were gamers and head turners. Everyone comment on them. Felt like butter. Reshafted w rifle 6.0 and they were even smoother. Problem was I hit to them to the moon. In windy conditions = not fun. Sold them for basically break even.

Ping 2 +no+ zz lites purchased on eBay for $150 and played for 5 years or so. Liked stronger lofts and narrow soles. Moved away for same issue...ball flight...and sold on eBay. Tried to buy them back from same guy. I know... Desperate.

Interested modernization project for +no+ with stiffer shafts to lower flight. I like x100s. Zz65 feels too tip stiff. Not sure about KBS. Good winter project. Might start research and creeping internets.

I started bagging a set of Eye 2 +'s about a week and a half ago. I've had my best three iron days of my life last week. Averaged 14/18 Greens in Regulation for all three rounds. I bought them as a "back up set", but if they keep performing like this they will be rooted in the bag. I'm already thinking about having them tumbled to clean them up.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

I took mine out to the range last week. They're just so easy to hit well.... I haven't swung a club in close to a year and it only took about 15 shots to find a nice little groove. I hit them high enough that airliners have to change their approach patterns, but I don't mind that one bit as long as the distance is good.

Eye 2 one iron for hitting off th tee (hate woods)....recently purchased and its in good condition, However, I am getting ready to send it to PING for refinishing, lie adjustment, CFS Distance shaft and repainting, etc...

[attachment=2888298:Eye2_1_d.JPG]

[size=3][b]PING[/b] - Rapture V2, 17*, TFC 939 H, x-stiff
[b]PING [/b]- [color=#FF0000]i[/color]20 irons, 3 - PW, +3/4 Black dot, CFS stiff
[b]PING [/b]- Glide 50ss / 54ss, +1/2 Black dot, CFS wedge
[b]PING[/b] - Cadence TR B65, 35in
[b]W/S[/b] - Duo Spin[/size]

My buddy with Eye2's just won our club championship for the second time in three years. I guess they still work.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

[quote name='Armypilot84' timestamp='1438436189' post='12059062']
I started bagging a set of Eye 2 +'s about a week and a half ago. I've had my best three iron days of my life last week. Averaged 14/18 Greens in Regulation for all three rounds. I bought them as a "back up set", but if they keep performing like this they will be rooted in the bag. I'm already thinking about having them tumbled to clean them up.
[/quote]

Welcome to the club. I played mine today, and nothing feels better. They're like an ugly puppy that you love like no other.

Don't make them too shiny, dirty Eye 2s in the bag will scare
the hell out of the AerobldzV2AP2RSI1 crowd.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter