Does anyone still game Ping Eye 2's?

Hit em good

Here is a thread I started about my old Eye2's that I resurrected and put back into service. I played these clubs for close to 20 years.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237176-put-a-classic-bag-together/

IMG_0573.jpg

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='sappytop' timestamp='1442232046' post='12310606']
just put my ping eye 2's back in the bag. these are the clubs my dad promised me the first time i beat him years ago. we're doing our annual myrtle beach trip in a few weeks so i thought i'd put them back in the bag for nostalgia. dad is 79 yrs old so you just never know...
[/quote]

I hope he wins them back on the trip, Sappy. That'd be awesome! :drinks:

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

[quote name='sappytop' timestamp='1442246527' post='12311630']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1442246154' post='12311592']
[quote name='sappytop' timestamp='1442244940' post='12311516']
i contacted PING customer service on saturday with the serial number on my EYE2's cuz i was curious what year they were made. their response..

Model:EYE2
Club(s):3-9PW
Color Code:BLACK
Swing Weight:C9
Shaft:NZ+
Length:STD
Grip:EYE
Status Date:2/25/1983
Product:IRONS
[/quote]

Sounds like V Groove Eye2's. I think that's a good thing
[/quote]

yes, i was concerned about that so i found this on the PING site. luckily my stamping appears upside down in the golf bag.

[color=#747474][size=3][background=rgb(233, 233, 233)]V grooved Eye 2 irons and wedges (NOTE: these were made from 1982 to 1984, and each has the following unique marking - the top bar "Karsten Mfg. Corp. Phoenix, AZ 85068 USA" runs from the heel of the head to the toe, which makes it appear "upside down" when looking at this lettering when the club is in a golf bag[/background][/size][/color][color=#747474][size=3][background=rgb(233, 233, 233)]). [/background][/size][/color][list]
[*]Conform to all USGA and R&A groove rules in effect at all levels of play
[/list]
[/quote]
Sweet, I never knew that, and it has kept me from playing or even looking to buy Eye 2s, now the hunt is on :pimp:

FWIW, Jay, I'd done an ebay search a week or two ago, found a set of V Groove Eye2s, but they were missing a single iron. I didn't bother to check if ironfinder or clubfinder might have one to fill it out.

But it's nice to know there are some out there.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

These are the sticks I picked up the other day. I had a hell of a time taking the grips off, but now they are sitting behind me asking to be gripped and used.

Before that I hit them at the range and the one thing that I have to say, that sets them apart, is the sound they make. I don't know what it is, but it sounds so good. And the feel is also outstanding. Can't wait to get these out on the course.

Yesterday I was able to use the newer LW. It is also a special club, coming from using a Cleveland 588 60. I just don't have time to practice, so my confidence isn't what it usually is with the wedges around the green. But, the eye2 contributed to 3/4 birdies I made on the back 9 yesterday. It's gotta place in my bag for a while, I think.

Cheers!

[quote name='Christen_The_Sloop' timestamp='1442279350' post='12314092']
These are the sticks I picked up the other day. [b]I had a hell of a time taking the grips off[/b], but now they are sitting behind me asking to be gripped and used.

Before that I hit them at the range and the one thing that I have to say, that sets them apart, is the sound they make. I don't know what it is, but it sounds so good. And the feel is also outstanding. Can't wait to get these out on the course.

Yesterday I was able to use the newer LW. It is also a special club, coming from using a Cleveland 588 60. I just don't have time to practice, so my confidence isn't what it usually is with the wedges around the green. But, the eye2 contributed to 3/4 birdies I made on the back 9 yesterday. It's gotta place in my bag for a while, I think.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Me too! My Ping Cat Eye grips were fun to remove - broke off in 1" pieces.

Handicap:  3

Current old school (yet minimalistic) setup:

975LFE driver
i3 17° 5-wood
Eye2+ 4-W KBS Tour
Rustique 56° bent to 54°
Dalehead Anser

I must say KBS Tour stiff in Eye2+ is a really good combo.

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

• 1 month later...

Joined WRX because of this thread:

Have been using a set of Ping Eye 2 BD for about five years now but up until this summer I probably only logged 20 rounds in those five years. This summer I became recommitted to the game and played around 30 rounds or so. Started doing some research on new irons when I came across this thread and it validated what I already was thinking: The Ping Eye's just work. No frills just an amazingly functional club.

Glad to see I'm not the only one out there that still feels this way.

• 1 month later...

Played with an old boy at my club who was using these to very good effect. I was delighted to see these out there, the were the absolute dugs baws when I first got into golf. I used to drool over them but I'd already invested.
I don't think Ping are as good as they once were, they've fallen victim to the annual marketing drive. All the same, probably the only company that could temp me away from playing blades (but not until my twilight years).

• 2 weeks later...

Right.....Pings owned......

I am now on what I calculate to be my 8th set of eye 2's in order they were:

Ping Eye 2+ 3-PW Black Dot ZZ-Lite
Ping Eye 2+ 1, 3-PW ZZ- Lite
Ping Eye 2+ BeCU 3-PW Orange Dot TTDG HL X100
Ping Eye 2 BeCU 1-LW (that's right, the full deck) Black Dot Microtaper
Ping Eye 2+ BeCu 2-SW Blue Dot JZ Stiff
Ping Eye 2 + no + 1, 3-LW Red Dot ZZ-Lite
Ping Eye 2+ 3-PW Red Dot TTDG S400
and my current set Ping Eye 2+ 2-SW Black Dot KT

And those notwithstanding I have also owned:

Zing 2-PW Orange Dot KT-M
Zing 3-SW Black Dot KT-M

Zing 2 1-LW Red Dot JZ Stiff

ISI 3-PW Red Dot JZ Stiff
ISI BeCu 2-PW Blue Dot JZ Stiff

i3 3-SW Red Dot JZ Stiff
i3+ 2-PW Black Dot DGS (I think, no shaft bands but had the True Temper silk screens in place)

G2 2-SW Red Dot CS-Lite

S59 Tour 3-PW TTDG X100
S59 2-PW JZ Stiff

S58 4-PW TTDG S300

So I like my Pings, a couple of sets in there I wish I hadn't sold to be honest, but that's the way of things.

Would still like to own a set of ISI Nickel and I really want a set of BeCu Zings, but those are both rare beasts and usually when they come up in a spec I feel I can use (Orange through Blue dot, though I prefer Red dot) I don't seem to have the available resources to buy them!

In the Ping Tour Bag

Taylormade Jetspeed 9.5° Fubuki Alpha 50x

Callaway Warbird 4+ TTDG S400

Ping Zing BeCU 2-LW JZ Stiff

Odyssey V-Line White Hot Pro

Titleist Pro V1x

I just completed testing an Eye 2 6 iron with a Nippon Super Peening Blue stiff. I'm going have a set of 1984 models with original square grooves 4-L re-tumbled and reshafted with the Blues.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

Playing Eye 2 3-W blue dot and Eye 2 +no+ S and L. I can't hit full shots for crap with the sole on the +no+ but they are awesome for chips/pitches/anything half swing or less. I threw in an Eye 2 Gorge for bunkers and also for wet days (the +no+ misbehave when it's soggy). I'm looking to get them refinished, does anyone have any thoughts on sending them to Ping vs. L&L Golf?

• 2 weeks later...

After using Callaway VFT graphite shaft irons for my first year of semi-serious golf I have come to the conclusion that the clubs are contributing to my distance inconsistency.

After reading this entire (AWESOME) thread and everything else I could find, I bought a 2-sw set of Eye 2 irons off your favorite auction site. After contacting PING with the (matching) serial #, they responded with the following info:

Serial Number 662296A
Account Number:705
Model:EYE2
Club(s):2-9PWSW
Color Code:BLACK
Swing Weight:C9
Shaft:ZZ-LITE
Length:STD
Grip:DD-WHITE
Status Date:1/12/1990 12:00:00 AM

So what does this tell me about the clubs? No plus, or plus no plus? And square groove? V groove?

The 1990 at the end confuses me, since it seems like they were making multiple different variations by that time.

Regardless, I am stoked to hit them. How do these clubs rate with distance control with the zz-lites?

I play with a guy in the UK plus 3 handicap over here in the UK.. So work that out into a US handicap.. Plus 5 maybe?

He plays and has played with eye 2s and zing 2s for the last 30 years... Guy is the best iron player ive ever seen (pro or amatuer) struggles with driver though and hes now 50. He cant get away from these clubs and still plays them. Shows how great these clubs are. Very functional.

I have posted here before and am still playing the BECU eye 2's a few times a month. My wife put together a bunch of clothes she wanted me to take to the thrift shop for donation. After dropping them off I was just looking around . In the sporting goods area was a original box from Ping that was just put on the floor with a price tag of 69.00 dollars. I opened up the box and inside was a brand new set of eye 2 plus. irons. Green dot DG SL shafts . The clubs had the Ping build card with all the info on it They are 2-pw,sw,lw. I wanted to give them a lot more than the 69.00 but they said because I just gave them a bunch of clothes that were never worn they refused my offer to pay more. If I ordered them myself they would be the same specs at 3/4" over and green dot. I played on Sunday with them and the SL shafts are great......I think this set will be my last eye 2 +'s as these are brand new and they will not build or sell them anymore.

I have posted here before and am still playing the BECU eye 2's a few times a month. My wife put together a bunch of clothes she wanted me to take to the thrift shop for donation. After dropping them off I was just looking around . In the sporting goods area was a original box from Ping that was just put on the floor with a price tag of 69.00 dollars. I opened up the box and inside was a brand new set of eye 2 plus. irons. Green dot DG SL shafts . The clubs had the Ping build card with all the info on it They are 2-pw,sw,lw. I wanted to give them a lot more than the 69.00 but they said because I just gave them a bunch of clothes that were never worn they refused my offer to pay more. If I ordered them myself they would be the same specs at 3/4" over and green dot. I played on Sunday with them and the SL shafts are great......I think this set will be my last eye 2 +'s as these are brand new and they will not build or sell them anymore.

It is amazing expecting nothing going into a thrift shop, and walking out with what seems to be the world. Nice find.

Shoot me a PM before you inevitabley list these bad boys and let's see if we can work something out ;) Still loving the +'s Project Xs!

I played a set of +no+ becu up until I quit playing in 2007. They were a complete matching serial # 2-LW. I put them away for about 5 years hen decide to sell them as I was worried about something happening to them in my garage. Got a nice price when I sold them but I wish I still had them.

I just scored a +no+ Sand Wedge of eBay that will be gamed this season. Ping Eye 2 wedges are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. Beginner golfer here and I'm now convinced I want to get some used Ping Eye 2's (Green Dot) as my full-time set. Just lost a bid for a near-mint, Eye 2 set on ebay. Bummed about it. The search continues!

Welcome to the forum. Should not be to hard to find the right set in green dot. There are thousands of sets of eye 2's out there and they are so durable the used sets are often still in great condition. Good luck!

Great thread. Beginner golfer here and I'm now convinced I want to get some used Ping Eye 2's (Green Dot) as my full-time set. Just lost a bid for a near-mint, Eye 2 set on ebay. Bummed about it. The search continues!

Look on Kijiji and Craigslist...I see them there all the time. I think some eye2 models can bump a color code or two...there is a thread saying which ping models can bend

Look on Kijiji and Craigslist...I see them there all the time. I think some eye2 models can bump a color code or two...there is a thread saying which ping models can bend

You can bend any Ping models, but you need a waiver for breakage on the Eye2/Eye2+.

Some post about them becoming more brittle with age, but that isn't the issue; the problem is that Ping no longer has a supply of replacement heads to fill in for anything broken. As they do with more recent models. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Am I crazy or does the newer Guyson finish look better with the black paintfill and the tumble finish looks better with the white paintfill? I don't know if that's why Ping went with black paintfill when they rereleased the Eye 2 +in mid-2000s but that's my thought. Anyone prefer one over the other, either guyson vs. tumble or black vs. white paintfill?

Am I crazy or does the newer Guyson finish look better with the black paintfill and the tumble finish looks better with the white paintfill? I don't know if that's why Ping went with black paintfill when they rereleased the Eye 2 +in mid-2000s but that's my thought. Anyone prefer one over the other, either guyson vs. tumble or black vs. white paintfill?

I like the guyson with the updated paint, saw a clean set for 200 bucks a few weeks ago, I regret not pickin them up. That finish is very nice

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

I like the guyson with the updated paint, saw a clean set for 200 bucks a few weeks ago, I regret not pickin them up. That finish is very nice

Only problem is Ping charges to paint it black now (or at least they've told me that when I called). The black looks cool but not an extra $13 per club cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I play with a guy in the UK plus 3 handicap over here in the UK.. So work that out into a US handicap.. Plus 5 maybe?

He plays and has played with eye 2s and zing 2s for the last 30 years... Guy is the best iron player ive ever seen (pro or amatuer) struggles with driver though and hes now 50. He cant get away from these clubs and still plays them. Shows how great these clubs are. Very functional.

Where abouts are you in the UK?? There's still loads of members at my home course that play eye 2s (including myself).....they just say 'never found anything better'

Does anyone else open this thread every time it gets bumped just to see if there are any new pictures? I swear I must have browsed the photos in this thread a dozen times. The Eye 2s are not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing set, but I love the "in the bag" photos of these things - especially the ones that have been refinished. The just look like they work!

Does anyone else open this thread every time it gets bumped just to see if there are any new pictures? I swear I must have browsed the photos in this thread a dozen times. The Eye 2s are not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing set, but I love the "in the bag" photos of these things - especially the ones that have been refinished. The just look like they work!

Yes