2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Are you WRX'ers exaggerating how far you hit it?

Hit em good

Haha, I worked on my golf game for a whole year in between applying for law school. Got to an 8 handicap and guess what, that just takes me to average in this thread....lol. I have hit lower and higher but that's what my index is at. As for distances, some of you guys can crazy bomb that thing.

250 - driver

225 - 5wood

200-210 - 3i hybrid

180 - 4i

170 - 5i

160 - 6i

150 - 7i

140 - 8i

130 - 9i

120 - p

110- 51 degree

100- 54 degree

80- 59 degree

40 feet - putter blind.gif

I'm not a long hitter at all, but give me a shot 150 yards in and I'll drop it like its hot.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we need is a golf distance amnesty day, where we can all tell our real distances and go forward with a clear and honest mind - not feeling that we have to keep up with Mr Internet Big Drive!

I will start....All at Sea Level in the UK:

58 - 110 yards
52 - 130
PW - 155
9 - 169
8 - 184
7 - 207
6 - 221
5 - 238
4 - 252
2h - 280
5w - 296
3w - 312
Driver - 344/357....depending on my tee height !

All true

Ahh ....that feels better

Who's next?

[quote name='jimmies78' timestamp='1333106797' post='4611781']
What we need is a golf distance amnesty day, where we can all tell our real distances and go forward with a clear and honest mind - not feeling that we have to keep up with Mr Internet Big Drive!

I will start....All at Sea Level in the UK:

58 - 110 yards
52 - 130
PW - 155
9 - 169
8 - 184
7 - 207
6 - 221
5 - 238
4 - 252
2h - 280
5w - 296
3w - 312
Driver - 344/357....depending on my tee height !

All true

Ahh ....that feels better

Who's next?
[/quote]

You need to bulk up a bit! same as above but add 10% plus I actually play below sea level

[quote name='Hit em good' timestamp='1330190838' post='4374173']
It sounds like I am the shortest hitter on this forum. I'm seeing posts about trying to hit the green from 270yds, and 230yd 3irons.
Do you guys really hit it that far? What are your real distances?

I hit it as long as the guys in my group (40-50yr olds, 8 - 15 hc's) I am a 6.8 hc, I play AP2's

Am I just a short knocker?

My approximate distances:
Driver 250
4w 220
19* hybrid 200
3i 190
4i 175
5i 165
6i 155
7i 145
8i 135
9i 125
P (47*) 115
52* 100
56* 85
[/quote]

For me, take the yardages and add 30 to 35 yards to the 6 iron thru driver and 20 to 25 yards to the 7 iron thru wedges.

I will say this though. I am 42 and it is sad how much distance I've lost in the past 2 seasons. I'm still long by most people's standards but I'm way off particularly with my driver and woods and I feel like I am losing distance at an alarming pace thanks to injuries, aging and a lack of fitness thanks to the injuries. I used to hit driver over 300 pretty consistently with my longest GPSed drive at 335 on a flat hole without wind assist. Now only 2 years later I am hitting it 285. Holes where I used to play Diver - Sand wedge are now Driver - 9 iron and so forth.

[quote name='cotterm' timestamp='1333065700' post='4609235']
i would say that many (if not most) of the people here exaggerate their distances. There is no way that a community of computer nerds (of which I am one) are longer than PGA tour players. There are certainly exceptions, but not as many as we are lead to believe here. I am as long as most that i play with, and longer than many. I play to a 6 and my home course is a US Open Qualifier course. I cant believe that I am the short knocker on these boards.
[/quote]
The big disconnect here is that most WRXers have NEVER played with someone that can really play. I keep seeing all the 8 handicaps talk about how far they hit it, and I don't doubt it, even though I cannot remember the last time I played with an 8. In the Wednesday game I play in occasionally, I am the highest handicap. At 1. that's right, out of 16 guys, I'm the worst. And believe me, I'm the worst. Shoot 67? You donated money. And ALL of them carry driver at least 280. I'm the short knocker, and I can get it to 112-115 MPH pretty easily. Sure, everyone else thinks the guys on here are lying--but that's because they think a guy shooting 80 can really play. it's no different than thinking every scramble winner cheats. just you and your buddies can't play doesn't mean there aren't four guys together who can shoot 20 under. Hell, we shot 12 under on the FRONT in a 3-man last year. It happens. But not by guys who "average" 280, hit 9/13 fairways, and still shoot 87.

[quote name='smackygolf' timestamp='1333111721' post='4612021']
The big disconnect here is that most WRXers have NEVER played with someone that can really play. I keep seeing all the 8 handicaps talk about how far they hit it, and I don't doubt it, even though I cannot remember the last time I played with an 8. In the Wednesday game I play in occasionally, I am the highest handicap. At 1. that's right, out of 16 guys, I'm the worst. And believe me, I'm the worst. Shoot 67? You donated money. And ALL of them carry driver at least 280. I'm the short knocker, and I can get it to 112-115 MPH pretty easily. Sure, everyone else thinks the guys on here are lying--but that's because they think a guy shooting 80 can really play. it's no different than thinking every scramble winner cheats. just you and your buddies can't play doesn't mean there aren't four guys together who can shoot 20 under. Hell, we shot 12 under on the FRONT in a 3-man last year. It happens. [b]But not by guys who "average" 280, hit 9/13 fairways, and still shoot 87.[/b]
[/quote]

That was my post.. And to be fair, I've been playing 18 months and I don't exaggerate anything on here. I was playing a pretty open course with firm fairways. I'm 23 and grew up playing baseball so the basic mechanics were there when I started playing golf. I've worked extremely hard on my long game and it's left my short game significantly behind.

Titleist TSi3 8* // TENSEI 1K Black 65s

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15* // Kai'li 80x
Taylormade SLDR 17* Rescue // Speeder 9.3s
Taylormade SLDR 19* Rescue // Matrix Black Tie 95s
Srixon ZX5 4-PW // Nippon Modus 120s
50* & 56* Taylormade MG3 // Tour Issue S-200
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Junior in Michigan
60- 80 yards
56- 105
52- 120
Pw- 135
9- 145-50
8- 160
7-170
6- 180
5-195
4-205
22 hybrid 220
3 wood 245 255 off tee
Driver average about 275-280 can hit it out there 300 swing speed 110

Taylormade Stealth 8.5* Kuro Kage TINI 60X

Titleist 917F3 15* AV RAW WHITE

Titleist T300 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X

Cobra King Pur 53* 59* Nippon Modus 3 130x

Ping Redwood D66 Red Iomic

[quote name='ultrahack' timestamp='1333076632' post='4610617']
[quote name='596' timestamp='1333043595' post='4606871']
I'd love to know more about peoples index's that are hitting 210 yard 6 irons. I play with a 16 year old high school golf team member. He can hit 300 yard drives all day long, he can hit the green from 210 with a 6 iron, but he scores in the mid 80's on a good day. I'm 50-60 yards behind him off every tee, I'm hitting a 5 wood from 210 and I score mid 70's average. (3.9 index). Yes, 2-3 of his monster drives result in penalty strokes each round, But the other 5 were fine : ) DOH!!!

Please feel free to out drive me, please feel free to impress me with your 190 yard 8 iron......"oh, you took a bogey?"....."nice drive though!":rolleyes:
[/quote]Since you play to a 3.9 index, do you play from the tips? 7000 yards plus? I always crack up at guys (not directed at you specifically if you happen to play from the tips) that have a low index from playing the shorter tees. Anybody can shoot low scores from the shorter tees just by developing a good short game and putting skills. Too bad that's only 2/3 of what golf is about and the long ball/full swing is the hardest skill to develop.

Golf should be from only one set of tees. The tips. If it takes you x amount of swings to reach the green then so be it. Having shorter sets of tees is like having a bigger cup to putt into.
[/quote]

The funny thing for me is that ever since I moved to the tips at my course, my handicap has actually dropped. I moved mainly because of the USGA's "Tee It Forward" campaign; funny how it made me move back instead of forward. The CR/Slope suggests that there should be a difference in my scores, but to tell you the truth I don't really see a significant difference in raw scores. If anything I'm able to play the hole as it's designed instead of having to cut corners to avoid hitting through fairways or having to finesse half-wedges into the green.

There are two course where I play. They are as follows:

Course #1 (Par 71):
Tips: 75.1/135, 7200 yards
Middle: 71.3/127, 6522 yards

Course #2 (Par 71):
Tips: 74.2/135, 7021 yards
Middle: 71.9/129, 6522 yards

The deceiving thing about these course (especially the first one) is that even though they don't seem monster long, all the yardage is in the par 4 holes. From the tips I think the shortest par 4 is about 415 yards, and there are half a dozen that play 450+ yards (you basically attack the par 5's, play smart on the par 3's, and simply try to survive the par 4's). No matter though what course I play or what tees I play from, my average score is usually in the high 70s, a good round is in the mid 70's, and a throw-away round is in the 80's.

It's weird though because the tips make most people's game go to crap, but for me I actually seems to play better.

My ID would probably lead many to believe that I bash the ball 300+ off the tee every time but nothing could be further from the truth.

I play in several scrambles and play with a pretty large group just about every weekend or at least once a week and I usually hang pretty good with the really big hitters except for a couple guys that are just ridiculously long.

Now, when I was in better shape, I could stripe it pretty good as in on a good day my drives would average around 310 or so. I'm 6' 250lbs and have big shoulders and HAD really fast hips. Had being the key term. I was much more athletic then as well.

Now I find myself just trying to keep it in play and I usually keep the ball out of trouble and still average 270 but can jump at it and still hit it out there around 300. These are not carry numbers. I usually get pretty good roll out since I'm a low ball hitter so I would say my average carry is around 250 or so on my home course. On the LM this week at a Golfsmith store, I was consistently carrying a Fast 12 LS 10.5* with Fubuki Alpha stiff over 270 and with roll out is was hugging the 300 yard mark with my stock 70%-75% swing. My current set up has an X flex shaft which probably causes me to lose a little distance, but I feel it gives me a little better control. My SS was hovering right around 108 to 110 but my LA even with a 10.5* was still in the high single digits and my spin was around 2400 rpm's.

I typed all of this to get to this point. It really doesn't matter how far you hit the ball off the tee as long as you have a capable swing/club for the next shot. When I started playing, all I ever hit at the range was my driver after about 10 wedge shots and my HC stayed close to double digits for years because my emphasis was on just killing the ball of the tees and the rest of my game was sloppy and I had to scramble to make par all the time.

Now when I go to the range, I may hit my driver 3-4 times during the course of hitting 150-200 balls. I work more on controlling my shots with my irons and spend a lot of time working on my trajectory with my scoring irons and then approach shots with wedges. While absolutely destroying the ball off the tee is great, you still have more shots to hit on the hole and those shots usually tend to be much more important than the one off the tee if you can consistently find the fairway. I'm pushing a 2 HC now because I realize the value in accuracy and also putting. When you write down your score, there's not a place to write down how far you hit your drive.

So here are the distances for a converted short-knocker (total yardages)

Driver - 270
3 Wood - 235-240
17* Hybrid - 215-220
5 Iron - 200
6 Iron - 185
7 Iron - 165
8 Iron - 150
9 Iron - 135-140
PW - 120-125
52* - 110-115
56* - 90-100
60* - 75-85 but really prefer to knock down a 56 instead of spinning the ball off the planet with a full LW swing.

Most of the distances from the 9 down have a range because I very rarely swing a scoring iron a full swing. Most are some type of knockdown shot where I'm trying to control distance / trajectory.

As for other posters claims of 330 yd average drivers and massive scoring iron distances, I can believe them. I play with a guy quite often that can do that regularly. He's late 20's, very athletic with massive shoulders and fast hips. Could absolutely kill a baseball a few years back. He's won regional Long Drive championships and can consistently hit his driver 340-350 during a round. We've measured a couple over 400 when the conditions are just right. He hits his 7 iron close to 200 on most days and I've watched him carry a PW 173 yards before. All that is great and fantastic, expect he can't putt to save his life and he muffs 1/4 of his chip shots. He shots mid to high 70's every time I pick him on my team and can occasionally sneak in a 69 here or there when he drives a couple Par 4 greens. Another guy I play with is consistently 310-320 yards off the tee and he's 53 years old but he's a big man (6-3' 260ish with huge shoulders and can put a ton of leverage on the ball) and he also can't putt worth a damn. He brings a new putter to the course every other time he shows up.

Congrats to you guys who can still destroy a golf ball. I'm perfectly happy with my pedestrian swing speed and distance numbers. I could swing harder, but I wouldn't hit 50% of the fairways during a round and I would do good to hit 45% to 50% of GIR. What's the whole point in swinging out of your shoes if you have no clue where the ball is going?

AI Smoke Triple Diamond 

HiBore 2w “Unicorn”

G410 3w & 3h

Currently testing the rest 🙂 

[quote name='Jarri' timestamp='1333099883' post='4611637']
[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1333098459' post='4611623']
There is indeed a huge difference between hitting your average 6 iron 160 yards (based on strike/wind/other variations) and hitting one once in a blue moon while swinging myself off my feet almost pulling every muscle in my body 210 yards. your yardages based for golf should be your averages (that includes misshits), not your monthly swing it off your feet best!

It would be far more interesting to read people averages, from personal experience of playing for over 25+ years I have never yet met a high handiapper who could consistanly hit a 6 iron anywhere near 200 yards, he may hit the 1 in 10 but consistantly is a very different proposition...

All IMHO! :)
[/quote]

+1...

6i 180+ and 15 hcp do not agree well together... 1 out of 10 shot may end up 190+, but if you had the consistency to hit the ball that distance 8/9 times out of 10 times that distance, you are not a 15hcp or water is not wet.

Put simply, I'd only say I hit my six iron 180+ the day I take out my 6 iron when I have to carry it 180 yards over water.

Going by the standard in this thread, I am proudly one of the guys who hit 6i 200+ as I have done that on many occasions and ended up over the green as I was more counting on a 180ish yards (and/or forgot to factor in the tailwind).

[/quote]
Your statement further solidifies that a lot of people have no clue of how far they hit it. If you are 180 out with a slight tailwind, I would think that you would hit a shot of probably 170-175 yds. with whatever club you hit that distance. If you know how far the ball goes, there is no need to worry about the water. I know how far I hit it and I don't need to boast about it to anyone.I know there are some guys that flat out bomb it. I play with a few myself, but hitting the ball the correct distance is always more important than how far you hit it. Length is awesome if you can control it.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

[quote name='Rosco1216' timestamp='1333056923' post='4608415']
[quote name='Shankopottamus' timestamp='1333056420' post='4608347']
[quote name='Rosco1216' timestamp='1333045853' post='4607111']
I would actually guess that guys would be more inclined to exaggerate their handicap as opposed to their distance.
[/quote]

I wouldn't. GHIN doesn't lie unless the person inputting scores is not being honest.
[/quote]

Meaning they are really a 7 or 8 and say they are 4 or 5.
[/quote]
I've noticed that in the area I play no one cares about distance. We play alot of tournaments for money based on everyone's handicap. We've got a good core that is honest but we'll expand to new players and we'll find lots of people who sandbag. I've also witnessed, especially when I get to play on private courses, that some members are notoriously dishonest.

Frankly, the distance conversation where we're at is comical. There are so many people here who 'ho hum I average 300' and it's simply BS. I fully expect there are the occasional 300 yard drive. There may even be a few people here who actually hit the ball that far with regularity. What I do know and understand from personal experience is that our idea of distance perception and reality is vastly skewed.

i would say that many (if not most) of the people here exaggerate their distances. There is no way that a community of computer nerds (of which I am one) are longer than PGA tour players. There are certainly exceptions, but not as many as we are lead to believe here. I am as long as most that i play with, and longer than many. I play to a 6 and my home course is a US Open Qualifier course. I cant believe that I am the short knocker on these boards.
[/quote]
The big disconnect here is that most WRXers have NEVER played with someone that can really play. I keep seeing all the 8 handicaps talk about how far they hit it, and I don't doubt it, even though I cannot remember the last time I played with an 8. In the Wednesday game I play in occasionally, I am the highest handicap. At 1. that's right, out of 16 guys, I'm the worst. And believe me, I'm the worst. Shoot 67? You donated money. And ALL of them carry driver at least 280. I'm the short knocker, and I can get it to 112-115 MPH pretty easily. Sure, everyone else thinks the guys on here are lying--but that's because they think a guy shooting 80 can really play. it's no different than thinking every scramble winner cheats. just you and your buddies can't play doesn't mean there aren't four guys together who can shoot 20 under. Hell, we shot 12 under on the FRONT in a 3-man last year. It happens. But not by guys who "average" 280, hit 9/13 fairways, and still shoot 87.
[/quote]
You do realize that your handicap and your playing partners in your Wednesday group represent the .001 percent of golfers in the world?

How many yards would you give me with this swing?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGseTCj9yXk"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oGseTCj9yXk[/url]

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

I just wanna say to the OP, your distances are fine. I average 250-265 off the tee because I hit a hooded 2-iron that finds the FAIRWAY, and I can still play to a 1.5 index from back there. Hitting it long is fun, but I didn't feel like I improved at all untill I lost the long-drive mentality. As a 6hcp, it sounds like you chip and putt well. Remember that your long game can help you, but it does not, and never will have the ability to SAVE you like your short game can :)

To the guy who hits his 64* 105...you're a joke. My driver SS is 122 and I get about 80 yards when I really cream my 64. And who hits a 64 100% anyway????

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

After reading these posts for two years I would say about 50% of the 300+ yard posters are young guys who can hit it that far but generally don't. 25% ARE JUST FULL OF IT and the other 25% are the real deal.
Now, that being said, It's one thing to hit it 300+ at sea level in FL and ENTIRELY another thing to hit it at high elevations out west.

For me, I used to get SS up around 110 now it's 100....sux to get old ;)

I like another poster in here have never played with someone who was consistently outdriving me.

I've played with people who hit it around the same, but never someone constantly past me.

With that being said I've played with guys who hit it 20 yards behind me and are closer to the pin than me for most of the day, I've played with guys 50 yards behind who are closer to the pin than me most of the day...

From a guy who hits it deep, I think it's so much more important to be able to hit it deep and be in the Fairway.

I have a bunch of stats I keep on a round by round basis and ones that I think fit this thread are:

B.O.B% from FWY vs B.O.B% from Rough
GIR from FWY vs GIR from Rough

My B.O.B.% from the Fairway is 17.6% vs 8.9% from the rough.
GIR from FWY is 79.4% vs 51.3% from the rough

Those are HUGE advantages for being in the Fairway with a drive.

So I'm making over double the amount of birdies and hitting 30% more greens while being in the Fairway, that is a massive difference.

For reference my approx carry yardages (And really could care less if people believe them or not, if you don't feel free to PM me and we can play a round of golf, I love playing with new people and bringing people out to the course I work at):

These yardages are RIGHT NOW today in Arizona at about 1200 feet above sea level
60º-105
54º-120
PW-145
9-160
8-173
7-185
6-200
5-210
4-220
3-230
19º-245
14º-270
9º-295+

Hey Hit em good,
On average you and I are short knockers compared to scratch players. I am a +1 and hit the ball 5 yards further than you on average. I play in as many top amateur events as possible (i.e. last years California State Amateur at Olympic Club). However, it does not seem like the majority of respondents on this website are the top 1% of amateurs in golf. Yes I have played with some players that average 300 yard drives, but they are the exception rather than the rule. The majority of the competitors that I play against are 1 to 2 clubs longer than me. Twenty-five yards with the driver would be an average. I seems to many golfers watch PGA tour telecasts and think they must hit the ball as far as tour players, not likely. Plus the fairways on tour are much firmer than most of us play on equals more roll. When the 75th player on tour averages 288 and they strike the ball more efficiently and consistently than any of us your question has been answered. I'm sure there are some beasts on this site that can crush it, but they are in the minority. I read this forum half the time for comic relief. Your realistic view of your own game will only help you improve. Also your threads will actually contain helpful and truthful experiences that can help others.

[quote name='mogc60' timestamp='1333117481' post='4612545']
[quote name='Jarri' timestamp='1333099883' post='4611637']
[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1333098459' post='4611623']
There is indeed a huge difference between hitting your average 6 iron 160 yards (based on strike/wind/other variations) and hitting one once in a blue moon while swinging myself off my feet almost pulling every muscle in my body 210 yards. your yardages based for golf should be your averages (that includes misshits), not your monthly swing it off your feet best!

It would be far more interesting to read people averages, from personal experience of playing for over 25+ years I have never yet met a high handiapper who could consistanly hit a 6 iron anywhere near 200 yards, he may hit the 1 in 10 but consistantly is a very different proposition...

All IMHO! :)
[/quote]

+1...

6i 180+ and 15 hcp do not agree well together... 1 out of 10 shot may end up 190+, but if you had the consistency to hit the ball that distance 8/9 times out of 10 times that distance, you are not a 15hcp or water is not wet.

Put simply, I'd only say I hit my six iron 180+ the day I take out my 6 iron when I have to carry it 180 yards over water.

Going by the standard in this thread, I am proudly one of the guys who hit 6i 200+ as I have done that on many occasions and ended up over the green as I was more counting on a 180ish yards (and/or forgot to factor in the tailwind).

[/quote]
Your statement further solidifies that a lot of people have no clue of how far they hit it. If you are 180 out with a slight tailwind, I would think that you would hit a shot of probably 170-175 yds. with whatever club you hit that distance. If you know how far the ball goes, there is no need to worry about the water. I know how far I hit it and I don't need to boast about it to anyone.I know there are some guys that flat out bomb it. I play with a few myself, but hitting the ball the correct distance is always more important than how far you hit it. Length is awesome if you can control it.
[/quote]

Brother, all I can say is read my post again... I said I have hit my 6i 200+ on occasions flying the green altogether as I was expecting 180ish... my point was hitting your 6i 200+ 3 times in a year does not qualify one to claim he hits it 200yds with 6i...

if I could say I hit my 6i 180 I'd basically be implying I have the control of the-pin-high-Luke on my distances.

When I hit my 6i (and I am a 2.1hcp) I expect it to finish between 175-185 yards and when I see 15+ hcpers saying flat out a yardage they hit, I feel an urge to run to the bathroom and puke.

I have played with 15+s many times and they hit the same club 135 yards one shot to 180 the next... and then I imagine they go home, log on to golfwrx and post in every topic that has the word "distance" in the title that they carry their 6 irons 200+.

9.5° Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5° Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17° Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53° and 59° 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

I dont know my exact yardages but I measured 2 shots via gps and worked from there. I NEED to get a range finder or gps of some sort real bad.

Driver total - 285

Full 7 iron - 156

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Driver-270
3 Wood-240
19* Hybrid-215
3 Iron-200
4 Iron-190
5 Iron-180
6 Iron-170
7 Iron-160
8 Iron-150
9 Iron-140
PW-130
52 Degree-115
58 Degree-90

These are all ave., now I do have better days.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Shankopottamus' timestamp='1333118907' post='4612715']
[/quote]
[/quote]
You do realize that your handicap and your playing partners in your Wednesday group represent the .001 percent of golfers in the world?
[/quote]

I think this is a very interesting post your 1 vs someones 8 probably has more to do with scores posted than anything at that point. Also if you grabbed 100 golfer 75-80 would not break 100. S 8 or less might break 90, so if you are shooting in the 70s that is really pretty amazing golf.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I answered the initial posting first, now it is time to tackle some others. Posters put down the testosterone filled Kool-aid and play some golf with some players that can play this game. Guy talks about regularly driving a par four that is 300 plus yards, but the best index he can come up with is a 7. Does he close his eyes around the green or does every third drive go Oscar Bravo. Maybe your best drives can equal the best on tour, but not your average drive that's the difference. Sideways isn't measured have you ever seen a long drive contest? Besides speed and efficiency equals distance in golf not how big you are.

Being the internet, people do mess around with their numbers alot, of course. there's no way anyone is hitting a 3 iron 240 yards to a green. I'm lucky to even hit my 3 wood 240 to a green.

I'm a young'n (21 years old), and play with a lot of other young people as well as club pro's and amateurs through connections from my father, so needless to say i'm used to playing with people who can hit the absolute sh*t out of the ball. I learned a while ago not to worry about how far others hit. Like my father told me, "It's not how you drive, it's how you arrive". These people may hit it 300+ yards, yeah, but they're probably spending 5 minutes looking for their ball in the rough or in the trees while I'm hitting my 2nd and 3rd shots.

Just a few weeks ago I played with a buddy that could kill the ball. And I mean absolutely destroy it. He hit almost all of his drives 310 or more. But when he wasn't looking for his ball, he was hitting weak iron shots and coming up way short or going way over and he almost always had a bad lie. At the same time, I was playing about 290 yard drives that were almost always in the fairway and I had beautiful lies and was hitting GIR's like it was nobody's business

So don't worry what the people around you are doing. Like I said, "it's not how you drive, it's how you arrive"

Like smack talk about tiger, WRX should ban threads about distance they always turn into pissing contests, and people saying that its not that important blabbidy blabbidy blabbidy.

These are all good points, and yes its true. I know that I shoot around par simply becuase I hit if far. If I only it it 240 I would shoot in the 90s. that is the simple fact. I try to be honest in all my dealings (except taxes). I dont get why this becomes a "YOUR A LIAR" or "LEARN TO PUTT" scream fest every time??

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1333077295' post='4610701']
[quote name='ultrahack' timestamp='1333076632' post='4610617']
[quote name='596' timestamp='1333043595' post='4606871']
I'd love to know more about peoples index's that are hitting 210 yard 6 irons. I play with a 16 year old high school golf team member. He can hit 300 yard drives all day long, he can hit the green from 210 with a 6 iron, but he scores in the mid 80's on a good day. I'm 50-60 yards behind him off every tee, I'm hitting a 5 wood from 210 and I score mid 70's average. (3.9 index). Yes, 2-3 of his monster drives result in penalty strokes each round, But the other 5 were fine : ) DOH!!!

Please feel free to out drive me, please feel free to impress me with your 190 yard 8 iron......"oh, you took a bogey?"....."nice drive though!":rolleyes:
[/quote]Since you play to a 3.9 index, do you play from the tips? 7000 yards plus? I always crack up at guys (not directed at you specifically if you happen to play from the tips) that have a low index from playing the shorter tees. Anybody can shoot low scores from the shorter tees just by developing a good short game and putting skills. Too bad that's only 2/3 of what golf is about and the long ball/full swing is the hardest skill to develop.

Golf should be from only one set of tees. The tips. If it takes you x amount of swings to reach the green then so be it. Having shorter sets of tees is like having a bigger cup to putt into.
[/quote]

That might be the most uninformed statement in the entire thread. Do you know rightlefty in person?
[/quote]

He has a point. The first time I hit 78 was from the middle tees on a short course. My driving was on and so was my short game, but at that time I couldn't control my mid to long irons if my life depended on it. I never had to use anything between 6i and 3i for that round. I am not sure about the tee thing - there are people who can't challenge par from the tips, and they would have less fun with the game from there. However, I do wonder why some good players have no interest in the tips.

[quote name='boomersooner1331' timestamp='1333124288' post='4613355']
Being the internet, people do mess around with their numbers alot, of course. [b]there's no way anyone is hitting a 3 iron 240 yards to a green.[/b] I'm lucky to even hit my 3 wood 240 to a green.

[/quote]

I disagree with this 100%...depending on conditions, what's around the green, etc. I can without question say I've hit 3 Iron into Par 5's from 240+ and been on the green.

Again like I said I don't care who believes me and who doesn't, but I can say I've done it multiple times in my golfing career.

On the off chance that you can use another fact set, Hit Em Good,

my "mode" (as opposed to mean) shots with all the clubs are ~ 15 yds short of yours. I keep fairly meticulous track of my yardages. When I hit a drive 250, I simply wonder for a moment as I walk down the fairway what pieces of my swing are missing on the rest of my full shots.
I don't EVER remember outhitting anyone I've EVER played with. I play regularly with guys who drive 270-280 yds consistently, and a couple, mostly college-age guys, drive 300 yds consistently. It's not that uncommon, in my experience.

Stats:
I weigh 141 lbs. My SS might approach 90 mph, I use R300 shafts on my irons. I walk and carry my clubs. People are quick to tell me that they know people my size that hit the ball way farther than me, but I've never seen those people off tour. I play high 80s. I don't track my handicap, I play everyone straight up, and I lose way more often than I win. If I thought I had to beat other players at golf, I'd have quit. I love this game :russian_roulette:.

This thread is exhausting.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona