Taylormade V-Steel: Band of Brothers

HoosierHacker89

Got this a couple of weeks ago before I went away, and it was there waiting for me when I got back (the wife didn't destroy it, thankfully!).

This means I now have the following V-steels:

I just love the feel of them. The 7w has a permanent spot in the bag. The 4w is fighting for a spot against an r9 4w. Not sure where the T/S will go, or whether I need to reshaft it (it's got a MAS Tour stiff), but on some courses I may go driver-T/S-7w, because the 7w goes a long, long way.

Got this a couple of weeks ago before I went away, and it was there waiting for me when I got back (the wife didn't destroy it, thankfully!).

I just love the feel of them. The 7w has a permanent spot in the bag. The 4w is fighting for a spot against an r9 4w. Not sure where the T/S will go, or whether I need to reshaft it (it's got a MAS Tour stiff), but on some courses I may go driver-T/S-7w, because the 7w goes a long, long way.

Very nice. that 4 wood is dope!

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

The 7w is the best! Amazing club. The 4w, I am still pondering the shaft. The Express Fire 75g SX is a bit heavy, but to me it's more a problem of deadweight than swing weight.

I think once I find the right shaft for the 4w, it will be a beauty, like the 7w. Nothing, and I mean nothing, feels like a nutted V-steel.

The 7w is the best! Amazing club. The 4w, I am still pondering the shaft. The Express Fire 75g SX is a bit heavy, but to me it's more a problem of deadweight than swing weight.

I think once I find the right shaft for the 4w, it will be a beauty, like the 7w. Nothing, and I mean nothing, feels like a nutted V-steel.

I can think of one that feels better to nut, but that one has never left the bag.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I can think of one that feels better to nut, but that one has never left the bag.

Your r7? I have an r5 three wood (which I don't like much, but that's more down to the shaft), and the V-steel 4w is actually competing with a r9 4w. The r9 4w has been a stalwart for me. Over the last 6 years or more since I got it, I have hit some of my best golf shots with it. It's long, and easy to hit. But in terms of feel, the V-steel is better. I want to find the right shaft for the V-steel to basically produce a club with the same shot results as the r9 4w, but with a smaller head profile and better feel.

I just bought this V-Steel 7 wood to mess around with. Way underpaid for it. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAYLOR-MADE-V-STEEL-FAIRWAY-7-WOOD-LH-21-ULTRA-FLEX-S-/162664810161?nma=true&si=59u5kGgGNlaLJ3DATuHJxrkUCEU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just picked up a 18* 5-wood with DGL for $18 shipped... mostly to play around with a steel-shafted fairway but partly to try a V-Steel again after letting one go 10 years ago.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

• 3 weeks later...

Got a Speeder Evolution 661 X for the T/S V-steel I posted back in September. I think it's a good fit for me.

Played today, and the 7w is just a great club for me. The shaft's great, but the feel of a nutted V-steel is just unbeatable. I hit 5 shots with the 7w today, 4 off the tee and one off the deck. The tee shots were just things of beauty, and consistent. 230-240 yards every time. Off the deck, I was able to take a little off it, and it a cracking one 215.

5 shots, 5 great results. I wanted a 220-240 yard club, and this club is a perfect fit.

I really want the same shaft (Quadra Fire 6SX) for the 4w, as the 75g I have in it at the moment is a little heavier than I would like. Problem is, these shafts are not cheap new, so I have to look for a secondhand one.

I have to agree- best feel I have ever gotten from a fairway wood by far . I am going to look for a 7w now

73 hogan apex

I finally got to game my v steel 3 wood. pure strike was absolute bliss in feel. most accurate 3 wood I ever used but distance wise was not as long as others. was surprised at it was better from turf than its looks would indicate. I think the 7w would suit my game better. going to look for one

73 hogan apex

Since we all love the V-steel, I wonder if there is a driver that we all would get along with too? Any ideas?

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

I love a good club project so based on this thread I bought 2 V Steel 15* on the bay for about $30 each. One came in very average shape with a 4* closed face. The other came in great shape and sits dead square. I think you know which one I will keep. Now considering shaft options. I really want to find a Purple Ice 85x but those are hard to come by. Saw one brand new untrimmed a few months back, should have jumped on it then.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

pm me if anyone is interested...I have a 15* with tensei pro 80tx in great condition that i dont use anymore since my 13* TS DI 8TX is working perfectly for me both off deck and tee.

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

I love a good club project so based on this thread I bought 2 V Steel 15* on the bay for about $30 each. One came in very average shape with a 4* closed face. The other came in great shape and sits dead square. I think you know which one I will keep. Now considering shaft options. I really want to find a Purple Ice 85x but those are hard to come by. Saw one brand new untrimmed a few months back, should have jumped on it then.

Just gaming mine stock, I also would love to try Purple Ice. I did have at Grafalloy pro lite in a previous V-steel 4 wood that was amazing (sold it for some stupid reason). ON a side not, my 5w has a close face but I think I actually like that about it. I KNOW that I will have a nice high draw with my 5 wood so I play that shot accordingly since it is so easy to hit. Have you tried a YS-6+ shaft? I wonder if that would be good.

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

4* closed? That's odd. Is that what it measures at, or is that your estimation of how it looks?

My vote would be the 300 series drivers. I loved my 360 driver.

LEFT HANDED
Driver:  TaylorMade SIM 2 9 degree adjusted to 10.5
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM 2 16.5 degree 
Hybrid:  TaylorMade M4 19 degree
Irons:  Cobra Forged Tec X 5-GW/Wedge: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 54 degree
Putter: Work in Progress
Ball: TaylorMade TP5 yellow

Since we all love the V-Steel, I wonder if there is a driver that we would all would get along with too!...Any ideas?

My vote in that category would be the Taylormade's R510-TP.

Certainly the TM R510-TP (390cc), and also these other drivers from that same 'sweet TM R500 vintage':

R510-TP AND V-STEEL WERE POPULAR TOGETHER

AS YOU CAN SEE, R510-TP HAS A VERY DEEP FACE

(Like the V-Steel, these drivers are all from the 2002-2005 period, aka Taylormade's 'Golden Period')

- R500 Tour Driver (325cc)

- R510 Retail Driver (330cc)

- R540 Retail Driver (350cc)

- R580 Retail Driver (400cc)

- R510-TP Retail Driver (390cc)

- R540 XD Retail Driver (400cc)

- R540XD-TP Tour Driver (400cc)

- R580 XD Retail Driver (450cc)

- R580XD-TP Tour Driver (450cc) (This one is actually very similar to my current driver but it has more spin)

Note: TM's Rescue-Mid Hybrids were also introduced during this period and are still quite relevant today! There is also a TP version of these Rescue-Mid Hybrids!

LIKE THE V-STEELS, RESCUE-MIDS REMAIN POPULAR!

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Thought i would post the best fairway wood i ever put in the bag ;) this club gets played more than my driver currently until i find a significantly longer driver. 260 off the tee and around 250 off deck...driver is 275-285 so sacrificing 15yrds is just about a club difference for the nxt shot..

SIM 10.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: TS3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX(.5") :: 2017 M2 TI 9.3*-1.8* 205g Diamana X Limited 60s(.5")
F9 14.5* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: TS2 15* Tour AD IZ-8TX(1") :: 2017 M2 15* Crazy La Bomba FW 80s(1")
MB-001 2i KBS C-Taper Lite 115X :: X-Forged UT 18* Project X :: F9 19* Tensei Pro White 100TX
MB-001 4-9 Modus3 Tour 120X :: AR1 4-9 Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw :: MP-29 2-9 KBS Tour
WedgeWorks V-Grind 46/50/55/60 DG S400 Tour Issue
Scotty Tour Black 009M Hoops
Scotty Tour Black Buttonback T10 Newport Deep Milled Insert Only
Studio Stock 28 SB Center Shaft Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Queen B 5 Blackout(Spacial Black Friday) Limited Release
Studio Stock 38 (current gamer)
K-Signature
WITB Link

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got hold of one of these:

It comes with an old Graphite Design Tour AD M-75X, which should be a decent fit for me. It's a little beat up, but not too bad:

Here it is compared to my 7w (7w on the right). As you can see, the face is closed compared to the 7w.

I'm looking to use it as a 4i replacement, especially in the colder months.

Congrats Catchy on scoring a V 9w. Love mine, so easy to hit accurately. And the perfect "old guy" club (for my capabilities) from around 160. Recently picked up a 7 in about the same condition as your 9 for a very good price. Thinking about sending it to Continental for a refinish over the winter, to match the 3 & 5. Have a Grafalloy PL Platinum waiting to be installed.

Now to find a 4W to round out the V-Steel family. Had a 13* T/S briefly, but sold it off. To much club for this fella to elevate. There may be better fairway metals of newer vintage. IDK. The V's offer reliability and confidence of strike unlike other fairways that have cycled through the bag over the years.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fellaheen,

I know what you mean about the T/S. I have one, a recent acquisition, but it's not really a fairway club. I haven't taken it to the course yet, but I hope to get confident enough to use it next season. I have a 4w head that needs a shaft, and a 7w and now the 9w. The 7w has a permanent spot in my bag, and the 9w may well have a semi-permanent spot, competing with a 4i. I think the 9w will be a great rescue club as well. The thing about the 7w and 9w in particular for me is that I am not searching for more distance with them; rather, I want them to reliably go a certain distance. The V-steels do that, and feel great into the bargain, so I am not tempted by the latest and greatest.

Edit: incidentally, the 3 and 5 are now the only ones I don't have! I am slightly tempted to pick them up with the lousy stock shafts just to complete the collection, then maybe put better shafts in them and play them. The MAS shafts are not a good fit for me.

Last week, I bought a 906F4 with a badly dented crown from ebay for $14 (including shipping) just to get the YS-6+ shaft to put in a 15 degree V-steel head I have had lying around. Played one round with it so far, and I was reasonably impressed. I hit it well off a few tees, and it seems easy to hit high and straight off the deck. It was a very windy day, so it was tough to judge distance, but it seemed I could flight down fairly easily.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

Since we all love the V-Steel, I wonder if there is a driver that we would all would get along with too!...Any ideas?

My vote in that category would be the Taylormade's R510-TP.

Certainly the TM R510-TP (390cc), and also these other drivers from that same 'sweet TM R500 vintage':

R510-TP AND V-STEEL WERE POPULAR TOGETHER

AS YOU CAN SEE, R510-TP HAS A VERY DEEP FACE

(Like the V-Steel, these drivers are all from the 2002-2005 period, aka Taylormade's 'Golden Period')

- R500 Tour Driver (325cc)

- R510 Retail Driver (330cc)

- R540 Retail Driver (350cc)

- R580 Retail Driver (400cc)

- R510-TP Retail Driver (390cc)

- R540 XD Retail Driver (400cc)

- R540XD-TP Tour Driver (400cc)

- R580 XD Retail Driver (450cc)

- R580XD-TP Tour Driver (450cc) (This one is actually very similar to my current driver but it has more spin)

Note: TM's Rescue-Mid Hybrids were also introduced during this period and are still quite relevant today! There is also a TP version of these Rescue-Mid Hybrids!

LIKE THE V-STEELS, RESCUE-MIDS REMAIN POPULAR!

I still have my hybrid. Maybe the best ever made.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]