RBZ 3 wood craze

ER-One

My clubs got stolen... I need a new 3 wood. I can't help but notice that the RBZ is getting a lot of tour use. I have hit one briefly and am concerned that it is quite a big head, thus making it difficult to get off the ground. How does it compare to the r11? And what is a good mid launch low spin shaft for it. DI? VTS?

Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered the HL 17* version. Easier to launch than the 15*. Seems like on tour I only see the 15* being used off the tee.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

The tour head is the best option if you notice the size of the non-tour. I had 4 RBZ heads so far this year including tour and non tour and I can tell you the only one I need is the tour 5 wood. It is stupid long and I can go high or low.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9*
PING LST 14* 
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18*
PING Blueprint 4-PW
PING Glide 2.0 54*
Titleist SM7 58*
Nike Origin B2-01

Try the Tour 3 14.5 with the stock XCON7. It's a decent mid flight shaft. The Tour head is smaller than the normal RBZ 3. I found the XCON7 S to be a little on the weak side. Driver is around 110mph if that helps? The Tour TP has the RUL shaft in it. Should go lower than XCON7 if you find yourself hitting the XCON too high.

If you want a 3 wood for tee shots get the non tour version.. It's silly long.. If you want one for fairway lies then you have to go tour version..
The non tour version has a large head and is harder to hit off the deck.

I believe a 5 wood can handle both duties

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

[quote name='bombster' timestamp='1345318011' post='5495036']
How does the RBZ tour compare to the sf 2.0?
[/quote]

Rbz is more stable due to larger head and def longer

Driver - TaylorMade M2 2017 - 9.5°
Fairway - TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood - 14.5°
Hybrid - TaylorMade RBZ 5 wood - 19°
Irons - PING i15 - 4 - PW / UW
Wedges - Taylormade MG2 54° / Hi Toe 58°
Putter - Cameron Newport 2 custom

For shots off the ground, I'd definitely lean towards the tour head. You should be able to get it up fairly well. As long as the RBZs are, you could probably go with a Tour 5 wood and have no trouble at all getting it up. I have the Regular RBZ 15 degree head, but I never really hit mine off the ground. I have an Aldila NV75 Stiff shaft in mine, and it is LONG off the tee. I usually hit the driver around 275, and this three wood gets out around 265-270 off the tee, which is a monster for a guy like me. If I were looking for a three wood to hit off the ground, I would have definitely gotten the Tour head, but either should be great.

Taylormade Qi10 9.0 Graphite Design Tour AD VF-6X

Taylormade Qi10 15.0 Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19 Project X HZRDUS RDX 80 6.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW Project X LS 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50.12F True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.12D True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 60.04T True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport+

I was working out of town this wekk and stopped in a local golf shop just to kill some time. In the discount rack I found a new Adams F11 Ti 15 degree with the Ozik 7.1 shaft. I currently play the Tour Edge Exotics CB4. The club is killer of the tee but I struggle with it off the deck. The head is around 200cc. The Adams is around 160 or so. I only been on the range so far but the distance seems close but off the deck, the F11 is much easier to hit.

In the same discount bin they had a new, still in the wrapper, Adams 9064LS DFS 9.5 with the RIP Gamma shaft. The best price he could do is $250.00. My current driver is the Adams 9064 LS 10.5 with the gamma shaft. Best driver I've played.

[quote name='bombster' timestamp='1345313281' post='5494842']
How does it compare to the r11?

[/quote]

it out performs it in every single way. i played my 14 degree R11 with the same shaft as i have in my tour 14.5 and the RBZ is faster, longer, feels better, sounds better, gets up easier. in MY OPINION, the RBZ far surpasses the R11

I'd recommend trying the Adams F11 ti 3 wood. It's basically the XTD line, but at $100 new. I picked one up a couple months ago and love it.

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 

I had the Rbz tour with Fubuki Alpha...never got very comfortable with it...finish was a bit distracting..so I traded it in and got a Adams Xtd fwy...same Fubuki shaft.. much more solid feeling..and the grey is not as distracting, and wears much better as well.If I did stay with the Rbz tour, I would have moved from the 3 tour to the 5 tour.

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

RBZ Tour 14.5 with a trusty Diamana BB83.....longest 3 wood I've ever hit. Very predicatable ballflight as well, I did have to send it to Will to get HotMelted since the heads come in a lil light. But he did a great job and the sound is just a nice thwack.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

I went with the 3HL RBZ and I've been very happy. I'm able to get about 10 - 12 more yards out of it over my old Exotics 4 wood (the 3HL is basically a 4 wood with a 3 wood shaft length). One of the things I really like about the non-tour version is the weight of the head, it isn't that much different feeling than my driver and this is critical to me because I tend to hook the crap out of typical fairway woods due to the lighter weight. Amazingly, this is the first club I've bought where I feel like the stock shaft actually works for me which is another plus because I don't have to spend another $150 to $300 for an exotic shaft.

[color=#282828]I'm very surprised to hear the feedback on hitting the standard model off the deck. I have a standard model trimmed to 42.5" with the stock shaft (which I love) and I nutt that thing off the deck. Best 3W in a long long time. It just feels and sounds so good. [/color]

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

[quote name='hooknslice' timestamp='1345346735' post='5496872']
I currently play the Tour Edge Exotics CB4. The club is killer of the tee but I struggle with it off the deck. The head is around 200cc. The Adams is around 160 or so. I only been on the range so far but the distance seems close but off the deck, the F11 is much easier to hit.
[/quote]

The Tour Edge CB4 15* is 170cc. The Adams F11 TI is 160cc in 15*. Not much in it.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I am 1 of the people who has a difficult time hitting the standard 3w RBZ off the deck. My old 07 burner i find much easier to hit off the deck. I am playing two 3w's right now. I use the RBZ off the tee and on perfect fairway lies. The RBZ is the longest 3w i have ever hit. Off the tee im getting 225-235 easy (long way for me, R-flex player). Off the deck im getting 215 or so when i hit it right. My 07 burner i can only get out there about 195-200 off the deck. I also find the standard shaft in the RBZ to be much lower launching then the shaft in my 07 burner.

Current Gear:
Big Bertha 10.5 w/ Fubuki ZT, XHot 3w
Taylormade Burner 3H, 4H
Cobra Baffler 5H, 6H
Callaway X2 Hot 7-PW w/ Project X
Callaway Jaws 52, 58, 62

I have the R11s driver and like it a lot, so naturally I thought I'd like the R11s 3 wood too. Not so. It felt very harsh to me. I hit the RBZ and then the RBZ Tour and got that. If you can hit the clubs, do that before buying.
I too am having a bit of a problem with the RBZ off the fairway. Nothing horrible but it just seems to drag a lot.

[sub]I play the non-tour 3hl and 5 wood. with stock shaft. I hit them great off the fiarway and tee. I tend to hit a fade with fairway woods and tour model makes it go farther right for me. Big heads don't bother me. Tried the 3hl against the tour only XTD 16.5 and liked the rbz better as it was more forgiving and longer. [/sub]

[sub]I would try them both and see what you think. [/sub]

Done for year selling it all.

I haven't figured out the real craze to the RBZ yet. I've hit it and just really nothing special. When you factor in the staff is .5" longer and also lighter than most 3-woods, there is some extra distance there. Factor in the almost 200cc head and how it launches lower your basically just hitting a 2-wood instead. I find it more to be a driving club than an all purpose 3-wood. I actually preferred the R11s more...thought the trajectory was better and felt better. Even with all that, I ended up with the Callaway Razr Fit 3-wood instead.

From the guys that work at the golf shop I frequently visit, the consensus is most people will hit 1 or 2 fairly long shots with the RBZ, but struggle with accuracy. The only thing they will remember is the 1 or 2 out of 10 they hit 10 yards further, but not realizing they hit them less accurate.

I'm a convert. I wanted to be a doubter and it took me a while to come on board but I finally broke down and bought a slightly abused RBZ tour 14.5 head on eBay. I shafted it with a DJ-8TX at 43" and it is unreal! Last two three woods were Tour Issue 07 Burner TP 14.5 MD-8x and a Tour Issure Superfast TP v2 15* head with DI-8x. RBZ is noticeably longer and also higher launching especially of the tee. Superfast TP might have been slightly easier to hit off the deck but the RBZ is longer and just as easy to work, plus due to the slightly larger head the misfits are better. Only complaint is the feel. Just doesn't have that flushed feel when you really hit it solid. All contact feels fairly similar.

[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1345503154' post='5505916']
I haven't figured out the real craze to the RBZ yet. I've hit it and just really nothing special. When you factor in the staff is .5" longer and also lighter than most 3-woods, there is some extra distance there. Factor in the almost 200cc head and how it launches lower your basically just hitting a 2-wood instead. I find it more to be a driving club than an all purpose 3-wood. I actually preferred the R11s more...thought the trajectory was better and felt better. Even with all that, I ended up with the Callaway Razr Fit 3-wood instead.

From the guys that work at the golf shop I frequently visit, the consensus is most people will hit 1 or 2 fairly long shots with the RBZ, but struggle with accuracy. The only thing they will remember is the 1 or 2 out of 10 they hit 10 yards further, but not realizing they hit them less accurate.
[/quote]

Poppycock!! There is a reason for the hype. The velocity slot crushes when hit. De-lofting the club. Then springs the ball off the de-lofted face creating launch and ball speed. When the face reacts to the ball the club actually plays to a stronger loft. Surprise! More yardage. Oh yeah, and you right about the shaft length and weight. However, the face is still hot none the less. Ask some of the better players on this site that have one in their bag with a 78g+ shaft.

Regarding accuracy, the first round I used the RBZ Tour as a temporary replacement for my wayward driver I was stunned that EVERY tee shot was either straight or a baby draw. Since then, my driver is back in the bag and the 3 wood off the turf is still very accurate. Yes, I do remember the occassional exceptionally long hit, but at least for me the accuracy is consistently very good.

[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1345503154' post='5505916']

[/quote]

I had all three and in order of preference: RBZ Tour, 910F, RBZ (std).

[quote name='mtnbiker5' timestamp='1345508830' post='5506436']
Seems like everyone is saying to go with the Tour version of this club yet when I was in my local golf shop they said everyone is buying the regular, not the tour. Ahhhhhhh! I cant decide between these clubs or Titleist 3W/Hybrid. :(
[/quote]